rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The "Squat Like A Boss" clinic

The "Squat Like A Boss" clinic

Quote: (06-02-2015 10:06 PM)Samseau Wrote:  

Quote: (06-02-2015 07:22 AM)StrikeBack Wrote:  

This guy has perfect form. Parallel with the ground. I see some guys swearing by deep squats yet I've spoken with lots of older dudes in their 40's and 50's who've told me to NEVER do that.

He has perfect form, yes, but that is also below parallel (taking into account the camera angle) and due to having a squat suit, he cannot go any lower. You can bet he squats lower raw in training, as his coach is a weightlifting coach after all.

Quote:Quote:

FYI, before I fucked myself up with propecia, I weighed 160 at 5'8'' and could squat 315 pounds. So going parallel definately does not make one weak.

It kind of does, actually. While I normally wouldn't say anything about someone's squat if they're not a powerlifter, I'll take your case as an exception. Earlier on, you called out the best raw powerlifters on the planet at their World Championships as having poor form, yet here you are with a squat that is among their first couple of warmup weights (they'd often go empty bar -> 135 -> 225 -> 315 -> more). I'm a mediocre powerlifter in the same weight class and I can do 10 with your max. The guys in my weight class (in the video above) that you think have poor form can do 10-15 reps with my max. Do the maths, you'll see how weak you actually are.

I suggest that learning from those guys, who are at the pinnacle of their sport, is a better approach than listening to some random old guys you know. For some old people, decades of experience is just the same n00b first year repeated 20-30 times.

Also, for the guys who say they've been hurt doing parallel squats - my guess is you don't stick your hips back far enough? It should feel natural.

There is nothing natural about sticking your butt back that far while squatting. There is no human movement in any sport or our natural world where that position is natural or strong. The only exception is the Rippetoe squat and the (related) high equipped powerlifting squat.

While you're being paranoid about knee issues, you're simply swapping the shearing force around the knee lever for that over your hips and low back. Which one do you like more, your knees, your hips or your low back? The answer is to find the balance, not avoiding using knee drive completely.

Talking about old guys, check out Clarence Bass: http://www.cbass.com - he's been squatting high bar with knees way over toes since the days of black and white photography. Was a pretty famous lifter and bodybuilder of his time.

Here is his take on the very issue:

http://www.cbass.com/Squats.htm

Perhaps different squat forms are best for different body types, depending on height or torso to leg ratio? This is a possibility.

This is absolutely correct. Which is why I encourage people to go to the IPF channel (one example video above) to find the weight classes closer to theirs, find the lifters that have similar build to them and learn their forms.

Messages In This Thread