Roosh V Forum
372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: 372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project (/thread-43797.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - Parlay44 - 12-31-2014

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/12/372-the...y-project/

[Image: oldpiratebay-640x404.jpg]

A couple of weeks ago, Swedish police raided the offices where The Pirate Bay’s servers were being kept, essentially knocking them offline. Well unsurprisingly in the process, many The Pirate Bay copies have sprung up, one of them courtesy of the folks at IsoHunt who have also released The Open Bay.

For those unfamiliar, The Open Bay basically allows anyone, regardless of their knowledge of how the internet works, to deploy their own version of The Pirate Bay using backup databases of the original The Pirate Bay, IsoHunt, and Kickass Torrents. Of course there are probably all sorts of legal ramifications to someone who decides to deploy their own The Pirate Bay, but the point is that anyone can do it.

So how popular is IsoHunt’s The Open Bay project? Well as it turns out it is pretty popular as they claim that they have discovered that about 372 copies of The Pirate Bay have since come online as a result of The Open Bay. The project has also been forked 522 times and starred 1,831 times on GitHub, making it this week’s most popular project.

In an email the IsoHunt team released to VentureBeat, “In as much as the original Pirate Bay future is uncertain it would be certainly fair to let Old Pirate Bay go in the caring hands of this community. Our current goal is not only make it open source, but eventually provide fully decentralized torrent database for the community.”

Ironically enough despite law enforcement officials knocking down one of the largest torrent websites, a few hundred others have sprung up in its place so if anything it certainly looks like an uphill battle from here on out.

https://oldpiratebay.org/

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - AntiTrace - 12-31-2014

the war against online piracy is the new war against drugs. The squeezing a balloon example, you stop one source and it just moves to another.

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - PhilE - 12-31-2014

piracy is such a small part of the overall picture why did they fight it so hard and with all the rampant white collar crime going on why do they give a shit that someone is downloading a shitty movie

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - Fast Eddie - 12-31-2014

Quote: (12-31-2014 12:27 PM)PhilE Wrote:  

piracy is such a small part of the overall picture why did they fight it so hard and with all the rampant white collar crime going on why do they give a shit that someone is downloading a shitty movie

That's easy. White collar crime (I'm guessing you're referring to financiers) is crime perpetrated by the elites against the common man. Downloading a shitty movie is a "crime" of the common man against the elite. No need to guess which is the greater evil in the eyes of the elites.

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - Parlay44 - 12-31-2014

The only logical step for movie studios is to stop producing digital downloadable content and stick to showing
movies only in theaters.

I'm seeing changes to movie theaters lately. They have leather recliners now and well as Dine-in theaters and the
new thing is an unlimited monthly movie pass. I would pass for the monthly pass over Netflix or piracy.

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - kaotic - 12-31-2014

Yeah this was happening already, glad PB won't ever be stomped out.

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - CJ_W - 12-31-2014

Quote: (12-31-2014 12:32 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

The only logical step for movie studios is to stop producing digital downloadable content and stick to showing
movies only in theaters.

I'm seeing changes to movie theaters lately. They have leather recliners now and well as Dine-in theaters and the
new thing is an unlimited monthly movie pass. I would pass for the monthly pass over Netflix or piracy.

Funny thing is, I haven't downloaded a movie since I left college(City of God was the last movie I downloaded and maybe like 2 or 3 other movies), like 8 years ago, an even then I usually just went to the theater, I went to school in Nor cal, and they had this one awesome hipster theater(the only one in town) and they have this stuff called "Yeast" that I used to put on my popcorn, Saw so many good indie movies, documentaries, harry potter chapters there.

I don't get what the Industry is afraid of, Movie theaters aren't going away. Ever. You can't replicate that kind experience from downloading something on your computer, especially seeing a major block buster in a full theater, sharing the whole experience with others, even though you rarely talk to them.

If the powers that be, would just focus on improving upon that experience, or at least providing it to more and more people world wide, easier and maybe even cheaper(if possible) Pirating movies wouldn't be a thing at all.

Not many people really pirate music either, especially with itunes, beatport, bandcamp etc...

Hell even the most pirated media of the past few years (game of thrones), HBO views that as Good Press "Good Advertisement" Hell I even heard of the Monty Python series making tons of money due to people pirating it and somehow boosting sales.

I feel if they just left these guys alone, and focused their resources on improving their product that pirating would pretty much die out.

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - Coldfire - 12-31-2014

shutting down the pirate bay did them more harm then good

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - Brian Shima - 12-31-2014

Kick Ass Torrents is much better than old Pirate bay and I am the one who first mentioned it in the other torrent thread!!

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - TheSlayer - 12-31-2014

Quote: (12-31-2014 02:06 PM)CJ_W Wrote:  

You can't replicate that kind experience from downloading something on your computer, especially seeing a major block buster in a full theater, sharing the whole experience with others, even though you rarely talk to them.

This is where you are slightly wrong. Gone are the day where you could only download torrents with iffy quality and were confined to watching it on your laptop. These days you can find DVD/Blu-Ray rips/HD quality torrents with perfect audio. There are also devices which help you stream your downloaded content to big-screen TVs or you can simply connect your laptop to TV via HDMI. That experience is as good as watching a Blu-Ray or DVD on your own big screen TV in surround sound. I rather have that experience than paying $13 for a movie at a theater. Don't get me wrong I still go to the movies occasionally but for the most of the crap that's produced these days I rather download Blu-ray rips and stream them on my TV.

I do agree with the rest of your post. People for the most part will still pay for quality work and blockbuster movies.

Also, another interesting piece of information in relation to HBO being happy with Game of Thrones being downloaded is that most music artists want people to torrent their music so they can get more popular. Artists don't make money from sales of their singles/albums. They make most of their money from endorsements/concerts/tours etc. The execs hate it but it's good for the artist.

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - enderilluminatus - 12-31-2014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeypot_%28computing%29

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - samsamsam - 12-31-2014

I think most movies don't deliver the "value" for what the audience pays to see it. I am sure some people feel that they don't get a $12-16 experience from seeing a movie. Sometimes, they feel like the theater owes them for the 2 hours they never get back. Or for putting up with people talking and texting during the film.

I only go to the movies if it is visually stunning. If I feel like I will miss that "wow" experience and even then the movie has to be good still in terms of story and acting.

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - Brodiaga - 12-31-2014

I think the main factor that contributes to the decline of movie theaters if availability of big screen TVs to the masses. 10-15 years ago it was more like a luxury item, but now you can easily find a good TV set with a decent screen size costs less than a smart phone.

Even with a cheap subwoofer, the sound quality is pretty decent for most people (definitely for me). I can also download pretty much any film except for the latest blockbusters which I don't care for anyway. From my sofa, the screen size feels just like I'm in a movie theater. Besides that, I can have all the drinks and snacks I want for a small fraction of the price, don't need to pay for the movies (or pay little if I'm renting from Amazon). Also, If I watch a movie with a girl, I can bang her and go back to watching the movie. Top that, movie theater owning motherfuckers!

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - coverdoc - 12-31-2014

Quote: (12-31-2014 02:29 PM)Brian Shima Wrote:  

Kick Ass Torrents is much better than old Pirate bay and I am the one who first mentioned it in the other torrent thread!!

Yeah kick ass torrents are pretty legit and good alternative to piratebay

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - StrikeBack - 01-01-2015

movies only in theaters.

Or...

Make digital video contents easily purchasable and available, similar to what they've done with digital audio contents.

There's very little music piracy these days since iTunes, the likes, and 1001 streaming services like Spotify are available to the general public. Most people can't be bothered pirating and would rather pay.

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - WanderingSoul - 01-01-2015

Quote: (12-31-2014 04:11 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

I think most movies don't deliver the "value" for what the audience pays to see it. I am sure some people feel that they don't get a $12-16 experience from seeing a movie. Sometimes, they feel like the theater owes them for the 2 hours they never get back. Or for putting up with people talking and texting during the film.

I only go to the movies if it is visually stunning. If I feel like I will miss that "wow" experience and even then the movie has to be good still in terms of story and acting.

I really like to go to the movie theater, especially here in Bangkok where they are very nice with big, comfortable chairs.

The reason I don't go so often, or watch much movies in general, is because I don't think many good films are being made anymore. I rarely see a movie and think "That movie was great, I really want to see it again!".

I think HBO, AMC, etc. is producing so much better content now than what is being released in theaters. I really liked Wolf of Wall Street, but I think it would have made a much, much better HBO series than movie.

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - Enigma - 01-01-2015

^I love going to the movies in the Phils. The theaters are nice, but tickets are still only $3 and you can bring in food from the rest of the mall. Sometimes I'll just grab a whole pizza.

Back in the US, I'd usually only go to IMAX. A good movie on that massive screen with powerful surround sound is mindblowing.

I think there are plenty of good movies being made. Just within the past six months or so you had Guardians of the Galaxy, Interstellar, The Equalizer, John Wick, Nightcrawler, Gone Girl, etc. The last movie I saw in theaters was Horrible Bosses 2, which was one of the better comedies I've seen in a while.

There are tons of shitty movies that come out too, but I still find a lot of the current crop of films enjoyable.

Quote: (01-01-2015 03:02 AM)StrikeBack Wrote:  

Or...

Make digital video contents easily purchasable and available, similar to what they've done with digital audio contents.

There's very little music piracy these days since iTunes, the likes, and 1001 streaming services like Spotify are available to the general public. Most people can't be bothered pirating and would rather pay.

None of that is even close to being true [Image: lol.gif]

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - Sourcecode - 01-01-2015

movies only in theaters.

Well most films aren't on "tape" anymore

Studios send movies to theaters in digital format now.
Thats how most movies get bootlegged.
The digital copies are intercepted from the movie theaters and put online

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - Paracelsus - 01-01-2015

Quote: (01-01-2015 05:12 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

[quote='samsamsam' pid='919498' dateline='1420060280']The reason I don't go so often, or watch much movies in general, is because I don't think many good films are being made anymore. I rarely see a movie and think "That movie was great, I really want to see it again!".

I think HBO, AMC, etc. is producing so much better content now than what is being released in theaters. I really liked Wolf of Wall Street, but I think it would have made a much, much better HBO series than movie.

Spielberg, at least, agrees with you. He fired a serious warning shot across the bows of the studios recently in a press interview: "Ask HBO how close they came to getting Lincoln. That close."

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - Parlay44 - 01-01-2015

I agree that most movies these days are throw aways. That's why I download. I keep a movie server going at home and if I like a movie I'll dump to the shared folder for future viewing.

I have all the classic movies and all the superhero movies for the kids saved. You need some kind of repository in case the Internet is down.

I torrent by RSS feed. So if I find a new show that I like I'll setup an RSS feed to watch for new episodes in utorrent.

I'm trying to get the streaming directly from torrent thing figured out. That's my new project. That's about as on demand as you can get.

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - Goldin Boy - 01-01-2015

Quote: (12-31-2014 02:28 PM)Coldfire Wrote:  

shutting down the pirate bay did them more harm then good

Exactly. The Pirate Bay existed because there was a demand for free media.

The Red Skull said: Cut off one head, two more will take it's place (372 more ha).

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - NY Digital - 01-01-2015

^^ Check out Torch Browser. Stream movies/shows while downloading.

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - KC4 - 01-02-2015

The pirate bay has always been a torn in the swedish governments side and prosecution of the founders was and is ridiculous. What people today here in Sweden fail to realise is that this the first step in censorship, scratch that. it has already begun with its extreme political correctness. They already put in laws like IPRED trying to catch downloaders and sharers with little to no avail but it was only used as an excuse to track the swedish citizens internet habit. It's sketchy but that's my understanding of it.

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - Troll King - 01-03-2015

I don't understand the short sighted thinking of some of these execs and even artists. I used to be a Metallica fan but after the Napster shit I simply stopped listening to them. I loved Napster. Part of it was due to living over seas as a teen and not having access to American media, especially non-mainstream stuff, but also because it allowed me to sample so much stuff without purchasing it.

Since Napster was shut down I stayed away from illegal stuff for awhile but then I started getting into streaming stuff. I had heard about different series like Dexter, and later Game of Thrones, but not having premium channels and being a poor college student meant I didn't have much access.

So, I streamed them, and other shows, and these days I have all the Dexter episodes on DVD and a few of the Game of Thrones seasons too...as an example.

The same happened with my music collection back in the day. Bands I never heard of but got to listen to due to Napster and other programs later became part of my CD collection. These companies have made more money from me streaming and downloading media than if I had never heard about the bands or never got to experience it due to not having premium channels.

Really. Who wants to spend 15-20 bucks as a gamble on a CD that might suck. Or 40+ dollars on a DVD season of some show based on nothing but word of mouth.

If I watch or listen to something and decide I don't like it, then I won't go back to it. If I decide I like it then, I usually will buy it for my collection and maybe even search out similar types of media.

372 The Pirate Bay Copies Surface As A Result Of The Open Bay Project - Paracelsus - 01-03-2015

Obligatory comment here that there's at least one Harvard study that indicates pirates may well be a net benefit to the shows they pirate: the people who pirate, as a group, would not have bought the show anyway, and they tend to provide valuable word-of-mouth to other people about series that are solid and result in legal sales.