Roosh V Forum
Completing an Online MBA - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Completing an Online MBA (/thread-38769.html)

Pages: 1 2

Completing an Online MBA - Atlantic - 08-01-2014

Thanks to some of the guys on here who gave some valuable advice via PM I decided to do an online MBA. I just got fully accepted today in fact. The course is from a European University but is completed nearly all online over two years.

I don’t want to mention what exact course it is but the cost is around $22,000. It says that just a few hours a day is suffice to staying on top of your workload which I can fit around working on the rigs.

It’s an Oil and Gas MBA so it specializes in business models and practices unique to that industry. I started this thread so I can let people know if I feel like it is worth the price tag and what exactly is entailed in completing an online MBA.

My plan is to build up a few years of solid rig experience, hopefully getting to work as a directional driller, while at the same time getting the education side down too. Then that leaves me open to move my ass to Asia/EE/South America and work month on/month off for my 30s hopefully.

It won’t start for a few weeks but if anyone has any questions Il see what I can answer. I won’t be stating the course or University though but people can easily search and find similar courses all over.

Thanks to the people who helped me out on this, you know who you are!

Completing an Online MBA - 2014 - 08-01-2014

why not state the course and uni?

It's not top secret info, but you're just making it more difficult for others? What exactly is the point of this thread then? Just to get virtual slaps on the back from people for doing an MBA?

Well done.
[Image: clap.gif]

Completing an Online MBA - weambulance - 08-01-2014

Anonymity, I imagine. It's not too smart to say you're one of maybe 20-30 people who recently signed up for a specific program at a specific university if you're worried about nutters finding out who you are in real life.

Pretty cool stuff, Atlantic. I like to see guys on the forum taking big steps like this.

Completing an Online MBA - Laurifer - 08-01-2014

Congrats man, ive been contemplating grad school. Primarily either a masters in finance (takes 9 months) or mba. University of Calgary's Huskayne MBA has an oil industry concentration as well. I'm assuming you weren't required to take the gmat? I have a big ass stack of books just to prepare for that damn test but never have time study with my work schedule.

I figure i can more easily break into the industry I want with the practicality of a finance degree.

An MBA with oil/energy concentration? Hell man you'd get the skills you need to start your own company. I'm sure you have a growing list of industry contacts as well that can also contribute to successfully launching a company or even become an executive in a company.

Completing an Online MBA - Atlantic - 08-02-2014

Quote: (08-01-2014 08:57 PM)2014 Wrote:  

why not state the course and uni?

It's not top secret info, but you're just making it more difficult for others? What exactly is the point of this thread then? Just to get virtual slaps on the back from people for doing an MBA?

Well done.

No I dont care about virtual slaps on the back. I always give balanced posts and am quite open about my failures too. I wanted a thread to post about course content and if there is actual merits in completing an online MBA. Its not an easy choice for anyone to make, besides it not that hard to get accepted so is it just a lot of money for a piece of paper?

I only care about how useful this will be in real life. Sitting by a computer after working on the rigs everyday isn't exactly glamorous.

Asking me to state what exact coarse and University is ridiculous. Ive gotten 100s of PMs from zero/low post members about MWDing. I don't want that that many people in a relatively small industry knowing where I am studying. If you havnt noticed people who give out too much person info on here usually dont fare to well. That being said I have already got people asking by PM and I have let the poeple I trust know.

The thread is too show what the value factor is of doing something this is. Are I learning practical, applicable knowledge or not. Will this boost my career or not. Do you really learn tight business skills or not?

We all know education is a business so I wanted to give a redpill analysis of the benefits. If that wasn't clear in my initial post it is now. Arnt you interested in business education since you have threads on starting a business yourself?

The point of the forum is to share information to help others succeed. Some times its failure and sometimes its success. At the moment this is neither but it will be one eventually. Next time just ask without the stupid clapping gif and sarcastic praise.

Quote: (08-01-2014 10:52 PM)Laurifer Wrote:  

I'm assuming you weren't required to take the gmat? I have a big ass stack of books just to prepare for that damn test but never have time study with my work schedule.

No the application process was just an excel document to complete with the usual questions and two personal references. You have to answer why you want the MBA, examples of leadership and commitment etc. I made sure to get the best two references I could – a friend in commercial banking and another who has a senior position on a large oil field project.

I think that anyone who has worked in the patch for two years and has a degree would get in. My QCA was 2.8 out of 4 so it’s not exactly like I got amazing grades. I was involved with a lot of different student groups though and had a small student business so that’s what I focused on.

I figure i can more easily break into the industry I want with the practicality of a finance degree.

An MBA with oil/energy concentration? Hell man you'd get the skills you need to start your own company. I'm sure you have a growing list of industry contacts as well that can also contribute to successfully launching a company or even become an executive in a company.

It would definitely help if you want to work on the business side of the industry. If you combine it will some field experience you would be in a great position. I know a guy who got hired as a Directional Driller with minimal MWD experience because he had a finance MBA so it helps in the field too.

I just don’t want to work in the field forever so I have to reinvest to keep myself employable elsewhere. MWDing isn’t really a great transferable skill so I need something else if I want to jump careers.

I really hope it does give some insight into running your own business. This is the other main reason behind the MBA. I will post up any relevant coursework to this as a lot of people on the forums have an obvious interest in being self employeed.

Some examples:

University of Liverpool:
http://mbanogmat.com/info/university-of-liverpool/

London School of Business & Finance:
http://www.lsbf.org.uk/programmes/master...ement.html

The University of Tulsa:
http://www.utulsa.edu/meb

Robert Gordon University – Aberdeen:
http://www.rgu.ac.uk/business-management...anagement1

Completing an Online MBA - Engineer - 08-02-2014

Quote: (08-02-2014 07:27 AM)Atlantic Wrote:  

Some examples:

University of Liverpool:
http://mbanogmat.com/info/university-of-liverpool/

London School of Business & Finance:
http://www.lsbf.org.uk/programmes/master...ement.html

The University of Tulsa:
http://www.utulsa.edu/meb

Robert Gordon University – Aberdeen:
http://www.rgu.ac.uk/business-management...anagement1

Those sound like top schools. I assume you get what you pay for. Where was $22k in the range of what's out there today?

Nice job, and good luck!

^ 20k to 30k seems to be the asking price of most. If you work for certain companies in the patch they might put money towards it. A lot of big name companies like to do this. I am self funding it though. You can spread out the cost on some over the two years.

Completing an Online MBA - Thehustler - 08-02-2014

Highly interested in this thread as I'm almost in the exact same position as op i.e working in the oil patch, already have a bachelors, don't wanna be dragging my ass in the field for the rest of my life and definitely want to travel whilst making good money.

Congrats man, ive been contemplating grad school. Primarily either a masters in finance (takes 9 months) or mba. University of Calgary's Huskayne MBA has an oil industry concentration as well. I'm assuming you weren't required to take the gmat? I have a big ass stack of books just to prepare for that damn test but never have time study with my work schedule.

Hey man what are you currently doing? A masters in Finance can definitely open doors but it'd depend heavily on your work experience and where'd you want to be in the industry. I can definitely vouch for the quality of University of Calgary's MBA as I have a friend who recently finished his MBA with global energy emphasis and he has nothing but great things to say about them. The school has very strong connections with top energy firms in Calgary and they hire from them pretty frequently.

BUT it's very competitive and would be hard to land in the program without solid credentials.

Here's an article about that MBA:

http://www.albertaoilmagazine.com/2012/0...o-calgary/

Completing an Online MBA - Laurifer - 08-02-2014

Ha well although I have a BA, right now I drive a hot shot truck and swamp at an oilfield hauling company, only doing it another month though.

The MS in Finance that I would actually pursue is at Arizona State, it is geared towards recent graduates so I'm not too worried about my work experience. But I'd need to get a good gmat score to guarantee acceptance into it. While the Huskayne MBA is attractive, I have a problem settling on degrees that are too specific. An MS in Finance is practical and broad enough that I could apply it to several fields. Even then, I'd like to get another masters years down the road to really pinpoint a specific career track for myself.

Completing an Online MBA - samsamsam - 08-02-2014

I just hope it has a track record of getting its graduates better jobs and gives you a legit chance to get to where you want to go. No offense, a lot of online stuff can be questionable.

Completing an Online MBA - Laurifer - 08-02-2014

Yes but there isn't actually a way to distinguish most degrees from online or in person from what ive seen. In other words, I don't think its a standard practice to show how the degree was earned on transcripts.

As long as the degree comes from a reputed and accredited uni, that isnt for profit, and offers the same exact degree in person as it does online, i wouldnt worry too much about obtaining it online.

Completing an Online MBA - samsamsam - 08-02-2014

Quote: (08-02-2014 10:30 PM)Laurifer Wrote:  

Yes but there isn't actually a way to distinguish most degrees from online or in person from what ive seen. In other words, I don't think its a standard practice to show how the degree was earned on transcripts.

As long as the degree comes from a reputed and accredited uni, that isnt for profit, and offers the same exact degree in person as it does online, i wouldnt worry too much about obtaining it online.

Since Atlantic hasn't revealed much about the school, I just want to him to have a decent amount of comfort that as long as he does well, this degree will help him. I don't have a horse in this race.

Completing an Online MBA - Thehustler - 08-03-2014

True, you're not expected to declare that you finished a degree online or in person. Not talking about Atlantic's MBA in particular but most of the stuff they teach you in business schools can be learned on your own unless you're going for a specialization like CA/CFA or any other professional designation where you have to have schooling. This is especially true for most of the MBA classes.

So in my humble opinion the main reason one should do an MBA is to buy your way into a group of professionals where you can network with them/land an internship with the school i.e get some work exp or use the contacts/career centre of the school to find a job. Now I'm sure that a person completing the online MBA can still use the school's career centre but the experience would be much better if you'd attend and network in person.

e.g a person sitting in Europe doing an online MBA from uni of Calgary wouldn't be able to fully utilize the amazing networking opportunities that it has to offer with various oil & gas firms as compared to someone taking that course in Calgary.

But on the other hand you'd definitely have to take into account the opportunity cost of not working for 15 months on top of paying for school/residence etc.

just my two cents, I'd let more qualified members comment on it.

Quote: (08-02-2014 10:00 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

I just hope it has a track record of getting its graduates better jobs and gives you a legit chance to get to where you want to go. No offense, a lot of online stuff can be questionable.

This is a very legitimate concern when choosing an online degree but as far as I know op's business school is very legit and is definitely not one room printing degrees kinda institution.

Completing an Online MBA - komatiite - 08-07-2014

How recognizable will a European MBA be down the road in Calgary? Most oil company executives in the Canadian patch don't even have MBAs just engineering or accounting (and the odd geology) degrees from Western Canadian schools. American oil execs do have more MBAs but then again are almost always petroleum engineer undergrads. Not set in stone by any means but something to consider.

Completing an Online MBA - Atlantic - 08-08-2014

Quote: (08-02-2014 10:00 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Its in the top 10 schools in the UK for increase in wages and ranks in the top 100 worldwide business schools. Keeping in mind that not every school offers Oil and Gas MBAs along with the online option so I am happy with its reputation.

I understand a lot of the concern, and I am slightly skeptical myself, but MBAs aren't that common in my particular sector of the energy industry and they still seem to make an impact. In my job role its a pretty solid ticket to move up to directional drilling -they make over 100k a year more on average. If that's all i use it for it would still be a good investment but I hoping I get more value than that out of it.

Completing an Online MBA - Atlantic - 08-08-2014

It offers the same course in person so that is good. I get your point but I don't see the fact I did it online necessarily as a disadvantage, I will try highlight that I did it on top of holding a professional job on the rigs to show very solid work ethic.

Quote: (08-07-2014 11:24 PM)komatiite Wrote:  

How recognizable will a European MBA be down the road in Calgary? Most oil company executives in the Canadian patch don't even have MBAs just engineering or accounting (and the odd geology) degrees from Western Canadian schools. American oil execs do have more MBAs but then again are almost always petroleum engineer undergrads. Not set in stone by any means but something to consider.

I think it will hold up well. England has a good reputation within the industry for work practices and industry education. It will be slightly unusual though - I have only met two guys with MBAs, people just don't have them who work on the rigs.

My friend who worked in the states confirmed what you said - a lot more MBAs in the higher up positions. I am trying to keep my options open for working in the States/Europe/Asia in a few years so I think this will help also.

Thanks for the concern and constructive criticism guys, I appreciate the advice.

Completing an Online MBA - The Wire - 08-24-2014

I personally wouldn't get an MBA without another company paying for it but then again I'm not familiar with that degree or your situation .

Completing an Online MBA - komatiite - 08-25-2014

Atlantic since you do have an engineering degree have you looked into getting an EIT engineer in training designation? A PEng in Alberta is worth way more than an MBA when compared one on one, but if you can combine them then you will be golden. The PEng will alleviate any concerns employers may have over your overseas education. Check out Apega... Send some transcripts and get in touch with their international education guys

Completing an Online MBA - Atlantic - 08-25-2014

^I believe I need a mentor for that qualification and I have never meet a PEng guy on the rigs. Please correct me if I am wrong as that is something that several people have said is very powerful to have. Those guys make huge coin and have a lot of options.

Completing an Online MBA - komatiite - 08-25-2014

Yeah I was curious about that too... Assuming the owner of your company isn't an engineer then your best bet would be to get in touch with Apega and see what your options could be. I knew a guy who was an independent well site geologist who worked almost every single well for an oil company and the in house geologist vouched for two years of experience so he got credit towards his PGeo. Do you have a relationship with any of the drilling or production engineers in Calgary that you indirectly work under? Your boss may have some relationships at least. Another issue will be seeing of all of your classes transferred for the Apega syllabus.

Completing an Online MBA - svenski7 - 08-29-2014

I hope you reconsider the MBA. I think it's a mistake.

First of all, nobody is going to hire an online MBA unless you are already someone they know inside the company.

Second, the MBA is preparing you to "become a entrepreneur" AKA small business owner. If you don't have a science background or business experience, an MBA on top of a liberal arts degree won't do any good.

Think about it:

The MBA will teach you about debits and credits but not enough to work a balance sheet like a finance undergrad.

The MBA will teach you about marketing concepts and the idea that small business owners are the drivers behind the economy but it won't help you start your own business.

MBAs are a dime-a-dozen and will leave you underwhelmed if you think you will be somehow more qualified to do anything on the other side. The only exceptions are MBAs from Ivy League schools but in no situation is some online MBA from England going to make you stand out of paper for a job in North America.

Completing an Online MBA - komatiite - 08-29-2014

He doesn't have an arts degree, hence the recent comments I had regarding utilizing his engineering degree to get professional engineer licensure in Alberta. I think if he can get his EIT then PEng the MBA will look great when combined with his field experience. Do you have any knowledge about the Canadian oil business at all?

Completing an Online MBA - Atlantic - 08-29-2014

Quote: (08-29-2014 02:06 AM)svenski7 Wrote:  

I hope you reconsider the MBA. I think it's a mistake.

First of all, nobody is going to hire an online MBA unless you are already someone they know inside the company.

Second, the MBA is preparing you to "become a entrepreneur" AKA small business owner. If you don't have a science background or business experience, an MBA on top of a liberal arts degree won't do any good.

Think about it:

The MBA will teach you about debits and credits but not enough to work a balance sheet like a finance undergrad.

The MBA will teach you about marketing concepts and the idea that small business owners are the drivers behind the economy but it won't help you start your own business.

MBAs are a dime-a-dozen and will leave you underwhelmed if you think you will be somehow more qualified to do anything on the other side. The only exceptions are MBAs from Ivy League schools but in no situation is some online MBA from England going to make you stand out of paper for a job in North America.

You seem like a good poster but your post is misinformed and inaccurate.

‘First of all, nobody is going to hire an online MBA unless you are already someone they know inside the company.’

I will have 5 years drilling experience in directional drilling/mwd, an engineering undergrad degree, an online Oil and Gas MBA and hopefully a professional engineer certification from Alberta, Canada before I am 30. The Oil business doesn’t care if you did it online. The fact that you did while drilling shows you got huge drive. They value field experience the most. I will trump the guy who sat for two additional years in University while he could have been out in the field drilling everytime.

My sources that are already doing online MBAs are saying they are getting job offers left and right. They haven’t even finished yet.

‘Second, the MBA is preparing you to "become a entrepreneur" AKA small business owner. If you don't have a science background or business experience, an MBA on top of a liberal arts degree won't do any good.’

I got an Engineering Management degree. This MBA is Oil and Gas Energy industry specific. It’s for experienced field hands to make the transition to upper management. You are coming on this thread guns blazing without any context.

‘Think about it:

The MBA will teach you about marketing concepts and the idea that small business owners are the drivers behind the economy but it won't help you start your own business.’

Again - way out of context. The ‘small’ business I work right now is in the hundreds of millions of revenue every year. Do some reading on what an Oil and Gas MBA entails.

‘MBAs are a dime-a-dozen and will leave you underwhelmed if you think you will be somehow more qualified to do anything on the other side. The only exceptions are MBAs from Ivy League schools but in [i]no situation is some online MBA from England going to make you stand out of paper for a job in North America.’[/i]

Wrong. 1% of the guys I work with have them. Those who do are cruising ahead with faster promotions and progression.

England doesn’t have good Universities or the International Oil Industry to back it up? Please