Roosh V Forum
The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts (/thread-38140.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - Hypno - 11-03-2017

People used to hack the EQM requirement by doing milage runs - cheap flights to get you across the threshhold. On some carriers, each segment might have a minimum of 500 miles, so if you had connecitions a short round trip might give you 2000+ miles. I suspect this is why they added EQDollars. If anyone knows how to hack that, its the folks on flyertalk.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - Chase - 11-04-2017

https://scottscheapflights.com/

Don't know if someone posted this before. This weekly newsletter has really good flight deals.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - DCBoss - 11-04-2017

You need to go on a mileage run with an alliance partner that earns EQD based on distance flown. Other than the EQD waivers for non-U.S. addresses, this is by far the easiest way to hit EQD requirements.

For example, you can find fares from JFK-MLE in W for ~$1,600 on CX, which earns 150% EQM and 22% EQD per mile flown. This earns ~35k EQM and 5k EQD based on the routing.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - Slam - 11-04-2017

Quote: (11-04-2017 10:06 AM)DCBoss Wrote:  

For example, you can find fares from JFK-MLE in W for ~$1,600 on CX, which earns 150% EQM and 22% EQD per mile flown. This earns ~35k EQM and 5k EQD based on the routing.

^ Can you explain what 'W' and 'CX' means?

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - DCBoss - 11-04-2017

Quote: (11-04-2017 10:33 AM)Slam Wrote:  

CX = Cathay Pacific
W = Premium Economy Fare

Premium economy and business both earn 1.5x AA EQM on most partner airlines, so this is a good balance between comfort and cost per mile IMO. For this fare example, you're getting ~4.5 cents per mile, which is a respectable mileage run.

I'll add that airline status is not as good as it used to be given the benefit cuts, introduction of EQD, and cheaper business class fares in-general. It's not uncommon to find a US-Asia flight in business for ~$2,500. That being said, flying on partner airlines is a great way to mitigate the EQD requirement for status.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - Global Entry - 11-04-2017

You need to go on a mileage run with an alliance partner that earns EQD based on distance flown. Other than the EQD waivers for non-U.S. addresses, this is by far the easiest way to hit EQD requirements.

Quote: (11-04-2017 02:02 PM)DCBoss Wrote:  

Quote: (11-04-2017 10:33 AM)Slam Wrote:  

CX = Cathay Pacific
W = Premium Economy Fare

Premium economy and business both earn 1.5x AA EQM on most partner airlines, so this is a good balance between comfort and cost per mile IMO. For this fare example, you're getting ~4.5 cents per mile, which is a respectable mileage run.

I'll add that airline status is not as good as it used to be given the benefit cuts, introduction of EQD, and cheaper business class fares in-general. It's not uncommon to find a US-Asia flight in business for ~$2,500. That being said, flying on partner airlines is a great way to mitigate the EQD requirement for status.

THis ^^.

I do this regularly with QR on the discount fares from SE Asia via Doha to the USA. Its an eight hour flght from Clark or 6.5 from BKK to Doha, and another 15 or so (+- 1) to La/NYC. The long leg is typically on a fairly shitty 767, but its still dine on demand with a solid soft product. Three of these trips and I have enough EQM/EQD for Exec Platinum, and Ive booked RT in biz for as low as 1450 USD all in. Also earning around 55K RDM per trip, which makes the trip basically free. Only dwnside is that the layovers tend to be fairly long 7-9 hours. Even with a free hotel for a required 8 hour layover (meaning no shorter connections regardless of price differences) offered by QR, heading to a hotel through immigration both ways to sleep for five hours isnt exactly optimal (would prefer a full 24 hours). But 55K miles is a long way towards a free biz class ticket USA to asia, and worth more than 1400 USD (worth more than 2K, depending on your dates).

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - Global Entry - 12-02-2017

I thought I'd do a very brief post on the top websites for hacking travel. THese are the websites I use most often when looking at deals.

flyermiler,com - how much per program to fly from A to B. Just because there are the star allaince airlines you can book through, dont assume they charge the same number of points or the same cash fees. They dont. It can be inaccurate sometimes, but this is the way to find the sweet spots most quicklly. Miles.biz is the same thing pretty much but I havent use it much.

AwardMapper.com - gives the price in points of major brand hotels in a city/location and the category level/number of points for the redemption. Very useful, tho can be out of date with category changes. Also check out hotelhustle.com which actually is probably a better tool than awardmapper.com. Old habits though.

These maps of the program hotels are also helpful, provided by blog travelisfree.com. Outdated but mostly accurate. http://travelisfree.com/complete-maps/

For searching Oneworld availability -
Briitishairways.com (JAL website fucked since April).

For Star Allliance avail, search Aeroplan.com or united.com, sometimes singapore airliens site (which is about to give the ability to search partners) and lifemiles.com. Availability on different airlines programs within star alliance isnt identical since Im told even within the alliance certain programs get preferences with certain airlines, so you may need to search across them.

for Skyteam, I usually am looking at koreanair.com, airfrance.com or delta.com. Delta is probably the easiest.

If you have the points or have SPG points, alaskaair.com is always worth a look for awards. They have great partners.

Airbnb.com obviously, but using the Delta portal at https://www.deltaairbnb.com/ at least til it expires. Free delta points (skypesos) for your airbnb stay.

For non-program hotel stays, I use hotels.com ( 1 free stay after 10 nights) and booking.com (good prices, some bonuses for "geniuses"), mostly. But again, prices vary so it can be best to search hotels in an area on google maps first, click the hotels. google shoudl show the OTA (like orbitz or expedia) prices for your dates for each hotel. Sometimes you'll find a lower rate on agoda or some other OTA.

For the programs, I almsot exclusively book through the program stays, as I have status with the chains I frequent and dont get the benefits of room upgrades and free breakfast unless i book idirectly. On occasion if there is a big price difference, I've booked an SPG or IHG throhgh an OTA (IHG suppsoedly was giving benefits for OTA stays, but I think they stopped now). You can always mention your status when checking in even if you booked through an OTA, sometimes they'll throw in a room upgrade anyway, and if you spend money in the hotel, you should eanr points for it.

For booking flights, prices again, vary. Amextravel.com is important if you have a platinum card as they give 5x points if you book there. But they dont have access to all fare buckets so the prices may be worse. So do the match and see if the additional points are worth it vs. your 2x or 3x points booking thought Orbitz, which gives 1x rebate on airline tickets usable for hotel stays. I'd say less than 50 percent of my airlines booking is through AMEX travel. Its more often I end up on orbitz, using a 3x card like the Citi Prestige, and getting a 1 percent rebate from orbitz.

Amextrael also gives you access to the fine hotels program which is compatible with the program stays. You get your points and benefits, but also get a credit of 100 for in-hotel purchaes (dinner or a massage), late checkout, room upgrade. Only for higher end hotels, but if youre paying cash for your high end hotel and not getting some fourth night free deal, then absolutely book through Amex Fine Hotels, even if you have status the hotel credit for spending is great.

Expert Flyer - for finding avalable upgrades on flights - its more pro mode with this, Im no expert but i use it to find out which AA flights I am likely to be able to use a systemwide upgrade on. It works for most programs - and you can set it to send you alerts when award space opens on that LH flight in F you really want. This site has a monthly/annual fee.

EVReward.com. Shopping portal locator. Will tell you where you can get the best bonus for a shopping portal. If you buy shit online regularly, this site is your best friend. The bonus shopping portal points can be so big, they almsot can give a 100 percent rebate in value on some purchases (namely, luggage from ebags.com, flowers from either major company, and restaurant.com gift cards). This shit adds up fast too.

Staples.com For "office supplies" spending that gives 5x points on Ink cards. Not the only one, but the one with the gift cards to the most other retailers and a good assortment of other shit, all at 5x points on your Ink card. Combine with a shopping portal via EVreward.com to double dip on the bonus.

Wheretocredit.com - provides for each fare bucket on most airliens, which airline partner will give the most miles. Great and useful.

Google flights - to search for normal fares. Does miss some special fares on airlines, I find. But a good tool to search the world for reasonable coach and biz class fares.

Kiwi.com (formerly skypicker) - good low cost fare aggregator pickign up many regional airlines google doesnt capture. Similar to ...

Skyscanner - the old fallback. Honestly I havent used it much since I found kiwi.com.

For flight in china, try ctrip.com or elong.com for discounted fares vs international OTAs. Cheaper hotel deals too.

Im not much for coach flights but secretflying has its fans - more subscription based, shows deals primarily in economy. I prefer the premium travel thread in flyertalk.com for biz class deals for less than earn significant RDM.

Pointshound/kaligo/rocketmiles - use for non-program hotel stays to earn miles for the stay on an airline of your choosing (as opposed to cash back via hotels.com) Occasional bonuses can make this quite worthwhile.

Greatcirclemapper.com - to figure out flight distances (usually because youre close to status and lookign for a flight that is long enough to push you to the next elite level).

Awardwallet - an obvious one - keep track of all your program points (as well as those of others in your family, etc).

Thats its for now - what did i forget.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - zatara - 12-03-2017

Thats a great post, thanks for all the effort on that.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - Tail Gunner - 12-03-2017

Quote: (12-02-2017 11:07 PM)Global Entry Wrote:  

Im not much for coach flights but secretflying has its fans - more subscription based, shows deals primarily in economy. I prefer the premium travel thread in flyertalk.com for biz class deals for less than earn significant RDM.

Thank you for all your hard work in this thread. Would you mind elaborating on how you use flyertalk.com to locate business class deals? Is the "premium travel thread" something for which you must pay and subscribe? Where is it located? What is it that you look for in that thread? I just took a look at the web site, but it is pretty big. Perhaps you can throw out a few bread crumbs for me to follow.

I am a really bad flyer (cannot fall asleep on flights, the seat feels like a rock after a few hours, etc.) and I have trouble dealing with coach seats for flights longer than eight hours or so. I need to up my game for those longer flights to Asia, etc. Thanks in advance.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - Global Entry - 12-03-2017

You're quite welcome. Here's the link. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

I have an RSS feeder - it pulls the articles from this (and other) site(s) into the feeder - you need to act fast though, as the fares disappear somewhat fast - and if they get picked up by a blogger, sometimes in minutes.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - LatinoHeat - 12-06-2017

Quote: (07-10-2017 07:45 PM)DMario Wrote:  

How do you guys with low monthly spending hit the $4000 in 3 months. Im new to this whole points thing. I read about in the past where you could get money orders, but I dont think that works anymore. I was thinking about buying Amazon gift cards or Airlines miles or something. Im young single living in a 3rd world country without much to do, so I only really spend on groceries.

Yo mario,

When April rolls around do an app o rama to pay off your taxes, apply for like 4-5 credit card in March all on the same day. Then hit the minimum spend by paying your federal taxes on it. https://www.pay1040.com/ only charges 1.87%

Say you pay $12k in federal income tax to hit 3 credit cards with $4k spend, that is going to cost you $224 in fees going to pay1040.com but in return you will get about $3,000-$4,000 worth of credit card signup points. (actually more like $10k if used for long haul intl biz class tickets). That $224 is also tax deductible.

This is all 100% legit.

Also this doesn't require doing sketchy things with gift cards or money orders.

Even better some cards with big bonuses also have 0% APR first year so you could delay paying the taxes altogether for a few months without having interest charges.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - Global Entry - 12-06-2017

Another option is to buy points from lifemiles, from Alaska, American or the hotel chains when they're selling them. Some points, like lifemiles, even count as travel spend. If you travel enough you'll have uses for the points anyway. It was tough for me too, living in China, to use the CC and generate spending. You just need to be creative about it.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - jabba - 12-08-2017

I'm reviewing my business expenses for the year, and the flights were the biggest line item. I need to (A) better manage my spending and (B) maximize my PQM / status.

The business controls my schedule. I may only have a small window to travel between different countries. Since I can't control my schedule and shop for the best deal in advance, this requires me to pay higher prices.

I travel between Europe, Asia and US. This will likely increase in the future.

Star Alliance
I don't fly first class.
Currently Gold.
Should be Platinum for 2018.
Use several Chase cards for different businesses and can meet the PQD.

I read this:
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/01/what-is...orth-2017/

The benefit from Gold to Platinum is possibly getting more upgrades. I got 1 upgrade this year on a short flight.

I received an offer from AA / Citi Business for 65,000 bonus miles.

Here are my options:

Plan A - Consolidate all travel with Star Alliance
Aim for 1K. This is where the benefits begin.

Pros
Global Premier Upgrades eligibility

Cons
May spend more with Star Alliance to obtain PQMs
Polaris is the optimal experience, yet I don't fly Business Class.
If I can't even get into the Polaris Lounge, then what's the point of all these PQMs?

Plan B - Keep Star Alliance & Diversify with AA / Oneworld
Gold is sufficient for both airlines - 50K x 2

Pros
More flight options at lower cost

Cons
AA routes aren't as good as Lufthansa's
Lower probability of upgrades

I would appreciate opinions from fellow travelers.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - Putin Closes - 12-09-2017

If you just want lounge access credit to a program like aegean which has decent award prices. Not to mention star gold on non-united means free access to United clubs.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - worldtraveler3 - 12-10-2017

How do you guys deal with points expiring? Like flying blue where you had to take a flight every 2 year?(was every one year before) Any cheap way to book a cheap flight?
I had 40k flying blue points expired last time as I was ignoring all those Air France marketing emails.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - This Is Trouble - 12-11-2017

Quote: (12-10-2017 04:05 AM)worldtraveler3 Wrote:  

How do you guys deal with points expiring? Like flying blue where you had to take a flight every 2 year?(was every one year before) Any cheap way to book a cheap flight?
I had 40k flying blue points expired last time as I was ignoring all those Air France marketing emails.

Most programs, quite literally, only require "activity" every 2 years to stay active. In many cases you could just go to the store, buy a pack of gum with that credit card, and then pay it off.

Or buy miles on the program.

Flying Blue is not good in that regard:

Take a qualifying flight with AIR FRANCE, KLM, Aircalin, HOP!, Kenya Airways, TAROM, Transavia, Air Corsica or one of our SkyTeam partners at least every 2 years, or
Make a payment with your Flying Blue branded credit card* at least every 2 years

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2...xpiration/

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - This Is Trouble - 12-11-2017

Quote: (12-08-2017 11:27 PM)jabba Wrote:  

I'm reviewing my business expenses for the year, and the flights were the biggest line item. I need to (A) better manage my spending and (B) maximize my PQM / status.

The business controls my schedule. I may only have a small window to travel between different countries. Since I can't control my schedule and shop for the best deal in advance, this requires me to pay higher prices.

As I know you personally...

I'd stick with Star.

AA pretty much requires you to fly via London, or sometimes CDG, to have any decent options to get from Europe to US.

My gut feeling is that you'll end up on Star flights with United/Luft most of the time anyway. Might as well go for it.

Plus, how important is Polaris Lounge anyway? There'll only be 10 of them open by the end of 2018. Open up a Chase Sapphire and get a Priority Pass and you'll have more options lounge-wise, though most won't be as nice as the Polaris.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - Global Entry - 12-11-2017

Quote: (12-11-2017 04:15 AM)This Is Trouble Wrote:  

Quote: (12-10-2017 04:05 AM)worldtraveler3 Wrote:  

Most programs, quite literally, only require "activity" every 2 years to stay active. In many cases you could just go to the store, buy a pack of gum with that credit card, and then pay it off.

Or buy miles on the program.

Flying Blue is not good in that regard:

Take a qualifying flight with AIR FRANCE, KLM, Aircalin, HOP!, Kenya Airways, TAROM, Transavia, Air Corsica or one of our SkyTeam partners at least every 2 years, or
Make a payment with your Flying Blue branded credit card* at least every 2 years

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2...xpiration/

Check for options on E-rewards. Take a survey and credit to the program of choice. Or rent a car, and in lieu of car company points, elect to get FF points in the program of choice. Or transfer to the program from one of the credit cards (for US based folks, mainly, or AMEX holders). Or stay in a hilton and elect FF points 1/2 and 1/2 with hHonors points.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - Themin - 12-11-2017

I managed to become a Premium member with the frequent flyer program from Ukraine International Airlines [Image: biggrin.gif] [Image: biggrin.gif] [Image: biggrin.gif]
flew over 20 segments with them in 2017 (and still flying another 2 before the end of the year [Image: biggrin.gif] ) Free access to their lounge in KBP regardless of ticket class, priority check in and boarding, more Kg allowance for both check in bags and carry on baggage... not too bad I guess.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - worldtraveler3 - 12-11-2017

Yep I think most programs are flexible.
Flying blue is probably the most stringent one in terms of requiring you to fly. Especially if you are living in a non Sky Team member country.
I don't want to pay a normal fare return ticket just to get some Flying Blue points every 2 years. If its a short trip (less than 2 hours) it might be ok, but still a lot of discounted tickets you don't get any miles.

The other issue with these FF points, is alot of them expire and cannot be extended.

For example, I like singapore airlines, great service, world class airline. However, their FF program cannot be extended (at least cheaply), which really defeats the purpose of these FF programs. The only way i see around it is to credit to miles and more or something. But I am not sure if you do that, the miles credited will be lower compared to if you credit to Singapore.

I am most unhappy with the airline called Vueling, in Europe.
I thought you would get avios with them, but its only the flights booked through Iberia website, which are more expensive than booking on Vueling website, and also flights are credited to Iberia Avios and BA Avios separately. What on earth do you need Iberia points for? (except if you live in spain)...

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - jabba - 12-12-2017

Incheon Airport - Seoul, S. Korea @ Asiana Lounge has free massage chairs with no time limit.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - LatinoHeat - 12-21-2017

Quote: (12-08-2017 11:27 PM)jabba Wrote:  

I would appreciate opinions from fellow travelers.

First of all I don't know what percentage of your expenses are on credit cards but if you're flying a lot you should put as much expense on amex, chase, citi or starwood cards and redeem those points for flights so you can get 4-10% return on your spend and save money from plane tickets. If you are doing cash back you are getting 1.5-2%, but by properly redeeming tickets you can get 4-10% return, and fly business on points much cheaper without having to worry about upgrades, and lounge access an all this nonsense, its just included in your ticket.

Secondly, Generally speaking status is bullshit unless you are on the very top tier. Your chance of getting an upgrade is always pretty slim, even at "platinum" level. You're also stuck with that airline (and alliance).And the "alliance" benefits are also pretty sad, maybe priority checkin if you are above gold level and seat selection whopdee doo. Maybe lounge access which you probably got from some credit cards anyways....

Reminds me of some of these travel threads of some shmo doing an airline run flying back and forth between ukraine and greece 5 times so they could get star alliance gold the next year. Its like bro was that 4 days of your time and $800 worth it so you can get some lounge access for the next 13 months and priority checkin on star alliance????

You say you don't want business class but you want to do credit card opens that focus on "qualification" miles vs redeemable one and do mileage runs for status in the "hope" of getting upgraded or getting the lounge access and free bags that come with biz class anyways, so why not just save up your points?

I think generally when it comes to status if you happen to fly the same airline every week for work etc, sure enjoy the points and status. But trying to do it on your own by opening credit cards with fewer redeemable points and more qualification miles and then trying to top it off through mileageruns is an extra is a waste of time. If you have to work extra hard to get status with a particular airline, chances are you don't fly said airline enough for it to be worth it.

If you add up the perks you may have used from the status (2 or 3 times you access lounge, 1 or 2 times you got free bags, maybe 1 biz class upgrade if your lucky), its pretty abysmal.

The status game is not the best for entrepenuers, leave it for the corporate shmos. You want to be maximizing your points and using as much points as possible to reduce your spend and enjoy more biz class too (if thats important to you)

If you want to maximize ROI my advice would be fuck trying to get status, always go for the cheapest ticket as long as you like the airline for shorter flights, and put as much of your spend on transferrable points and redeem them for flights as much as possible, esp biz class and longer cross ocean/country flights.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - DMario - 03-02-2018

Which Airline gives the most value for transferring points from American Express? Right now I'm looking at ANA as it seems to be the best offer. Want to see if anyone else sees something I don't. I have about 70000 points

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - DMario - 03-02-2018

Quote: (12-02-2017 11:07 PM)Global Entry Wrote:  

For booking flights, prices again, vary. Amextravel.com is important if you have a platinum card as they give 5x points if you book there. But they dont have access to all fare buckets so the prices may be worse. So do the match and see if the additional points are worth it vs. your 2x or 3x points booking thought Orbitz, which gives 1x rebate on airline tickets usable for hotel stays. I'd say less than 50 percent of my airlines booking is through AMEX travel. Its more often I end up on orbitz, using a 3x card like the Citi Prestige, and getting a 1 percent rebate from orbitz.

AMEX gives you 5x points on ANY flight you book directly through the Airline. I just did this for my trip to Thailand. Also when you get the 200 in travel credit by buying Delta gift cards, you get 5x points on that purchase.

Im planning to see if the 5x will work through Expedia, as when you buy a ticket from them it shows up as the airline.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - Bikal - 03-02-2018

Quote: (03-02-2018 11:32 AM)DMario Wrote:  

Which Airline gives the most value for transferring points from American Express? Right now I'm looking at ANA as it seems to be the best offer. Want to see if anyone else sees something I don't. I have about 70000 points
You should think more about your preferred airline and where you want to go, for example I fly Emirates constantly and I get 1 mile per point so my current 450,000 MR = 450,000 Skywards which will get me one First class ticket anywhere or two Business tickets pretty much anywhere.

If you don't fly ANA a lot or you don't get a redemption to where you want to go, I'd advise you stick to one of the major airlines of the US (if that's your base) or pick the airline you know will get you the most places.