Roosh V Forum
TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet (/thread-56561.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Mjölnir - 12-02-2016

@H1N1: Yeah, i'm a young folk, 19. But I had a pretty reckless adolescense full of self-damaging behavior, and got in lots of trouble (but never got caught). So I definetely share your view, actually it has been almost a couple years since I've been in a fight, mainly because I mastered the art of giving the "please try anything and you'll see" look when there are guys looking for trouble. AKA the psycho stare. I won't lie that I do like violence and remember getting beat up by 4 dudes as a memory of good times, but i've came to understand that even tough violence it's part of our nature, it's not the best way to solve problems.

@TravelerKai: Yes, there are ways of avoiding trouble here, the part of the country where I live is definetely more safe and developed than the north. But growing up I lived in a bad neighborhood, with at least 70% black people, and I'm pale and blond. Luckily the thugs from my neighborhood never fucked with me and we had mutual respect, they don't steal my house/beat me up, I don't burn their houses..
But the guys from other "gangs" and hoods, that was a different story. Nevertheless the average medium class male, if he's smart enough, wont have trouble during his lifetime if he have situational awareness. Which I believe is the number one thing to avoid conflict/getting robbed/killed.

@kinjutsu: I never felt bad to causing harm to anyone that has come to harm me. The guy made a choice, a bad one, to go after you. Newton's third law. I would feel bad if the guy was someone acting upon emotion or a drunk dude outside of a bar. Someone who you tried to avoid and clearly went after you anyway, not really.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - H1N1 - 12-02-2016

Quote: (12-02-2016 10:52 AM)Mjölnir Wrote:  

@H1N1: Yeah, i'm a young folk, 19. But I had a pretty reckless adolescense full of self-damaging behavior, and got in lots of trouble (but never got caught). So I definetely share your view, actually it has been almost a couple years since I've been in a fight, mainly because I mastered the art of giving the "please try anything and you'll see" look when there are guys looking for trouble. AKA the psycho stare. I won't lie that I do like violence and remember getting beat up by 4 dudes as a memory of good times, but i've came to understand that even tough violence it's part of our nature, it's not the best way to solve problems.

This sort of thing is fine amongst other young men where posturing is a big part of the game. I suspect you've also been saved by the fact that, without wishing to be condescending, noone really expects you to pay the big boy bills yet - though you are on the cusp of having to do so. The 'psycho stare' of a 19 year old will not faze a seasoned operator. I have a friend I used to train with when he was in the UK who is an accomplished combatant living in Brazil, and who is involved in BOPE selection. Your 'psycho stare' would simply cause an experienced guy like that to choose a higher starting point along the force continuum, and to err on the side of too much violence. There would be nothing to relish in being on the receiving end of a beating from a guy like him - no fond memories of the experience.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Mjölnir - 12-02-2016

Quote: (12-02-2016 11:49 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  

Quote: (12-02-2016 10:52 AM)Mjölnir Wrote:  

This sort of thing is fine amongst other young men where posturing is a big part of the game. I suspect you've also been saved by the fact that, without wishing to be condescending, noone really expects you to pay the big boy bills yet - though you are on the cusp of having to do so. The 'psycho stare' of a 19 year old will not faze a seasoned operator. I have a friend I used to train with when he was in the UK who is an accomplished combatant living in Brazil, and who is involved in BOPE selection. Your 'psycho stare' would simply cause an experienced guy like that to choose a higher starting point along the force continuum, and to err on the side of too much violence. There would be nothing to relish in being on the receiving end of a beating from a guy like him - no fond memories of the experience.

Yes, I agree with everything you said, and you definetely don't sound condescending. You're only speaking the truth, I'm a kid. But in my defense, i look like i'm in my 20's haha

Sure thing it wouldn't be pretty, just by the fact that he is from BOPE alone, makes me not want to fight him. The whole 'psycho stare' is definitely useful against young folks sizing you up and trying to be macho. I would never try it against someone who I get the vibe that is a real threat, but to avoid having to fight some clueless kid it have it's place, especially because my normal facial expression it's like that, i always look like i'm about to murder someone. That actually might hurt me sometimes doing approaches, I always have to lighten up and put a slight grin on, because if I stay serious chicks might think i'm going to rob them or something. But that's stuff for the game section.

I will stop derailing this thread, again, thanks for your input.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - kinjutsu - 12-02-2016

@ Mjölnir: I too enjoyed fighting when i was around your age. In school i often looked for fights when i was bored. The psycho look only works on guys who've not had experience fighting. We had this guy in our dojo a few year ago and he walked in the door with that look. He scared a lot of the white belts but anyone who had a couple years of training would go out of their way to make his life difficult.
The reason why i felt like that is for a few reasons.
1.) Most of my physical altercations were just fists and feet with guys who were around my size and it never got too serious (ie. stomping on the head after the guy is out cold). Knives were never used just carried. Back then i fought for ego and pride not because i genuinely enjoyed inflicting pain on another human.
2.) By that point in my life i had extensive martial arts training. Breaking his body to the point just before death was entirely possible. For me there's always a apprehension of going too far and permanently maiming someone for life when the situation didn't call for it.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Comte De St. Germain - 12-02-2016

Psycho stares back home get people beat. Even guys who are uninvolved may jump in on the side of the guy receiving it. Personally a smile if I have to do any confrontation works better. I think it's more about not being phased than anything.

The best defense of all though is being with 2 or 3 other guys in a bad neighborhood if you have to go through. Going there alone is asking for it.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Parzival - 12-03-2016

I'm lucky that I don't have to deal with bears, cougars or alligators. Only refugees and in the worst case dogs. Mental awarness it the main key. Know where you are, watch your environment. Thugs look for easy victims so they lurck on you for quite some time. When you seem to much resistance most of them back off.
I had once a fight 1 vs 5 and I can tell you guys, we beat him up!

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Suits - 12-05-2016

TravelerKai, I saw some discussion on this other thread about kangaroo grappling. Do you have any tips for coming out on top if I end up tusling with a kangaroo at some point?

Would a human be able to lockdown the rear-naked-choke that the kangaroo practitioner demonstrates in this video?

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Ringo - 12-06-2016

Quote: (12-05-2016 10:45 PM)Suits Wrote:  

TravelerKai, I saw some discussion on this other thread about kangaroo grappling. Do you have any tips for coming out on top if I end up tusling with a kangaroo at some point?

Would a human be able to lockdown the rear-naked-choke that the kangaroo practitioner demonstrates in this video?

Kangaroos have pretty short arms, so that changes the mechanics of the chokehold. Its not a rear naked choke because it looks like the roo is connecting hands, not going hand to biceps like a RNC or hand to forearm like an ezekiel.

A human would only be able to perform that if their arms were tucked in tight to the body, elbows touching the ribcage.

I think what comes closer to it is the baseball choke (although finished at a different angle):

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 12-06-2016

I looooove watching kangaroos fight. That video is one of my favs. At least once a year I get on Youtube and look for a new one that I have not seen yet or just re-watch all the old good ones.

Ringo is 100% correct. That is a baseball Choke, one of my favorite chokes. That choke has won me alot of matches early on. Once I got to around purple/brown belt, no one falls for it, or gives a good opening for it anymore.

The only way I get an advanced guy with that one is if we are wearing the gi and he is more tired than I am, but we all know that guy, that would rather damn near take off his gi top midway through a roll than be caught dead in an ezekiel or other modified baseball chokes.

A good way to get a blue or purple belt in that choke is to knee mount their ribs, once they wince and try to push off, re-scoop them, go for a Sleeve Choke(Ezekiel), then when they try to defend that, then quickly switch to a no-gi style Baseball Choke. This can be done in reverse order as well. They almost never see that coming. That doesn't work on most brown and black belts though. They will think you are silly.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Suits - 12-06-2016

Would a human actually be able to pull it off on a kangaroo in reality?

TK, you've mentioned your experiences fighting trained German Sheppard attack dogs. What other mammals have you taken down in street fight environments?

Would you be open to taking on a kangaroo?

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 12-06-2016

Quote: (12-06-2016 09:05 AM)Suits Wrote:  

Would a human actually be able to pull it off on a kangaroo in reality?

TK, you've mentioned your experiences fighting trained German Sheppard attack dogs. What other mammals have you taken down in street fight environments?

Would you be open to taking on a kangaroo?

Of course you can Baseball Choke a kangaroo. Their necks are large enough and they are still mammals with 2 carotid arteries and a windpipe.

I actually want to fight one. They have claws though, so he would have to get gloves first. I want to feel how strong that kick is. They can weigh as much as a grown man, so it probably will feel like a truck hit me, considering the amount of muscle they have. I even wonder if I used a Muay Thai kick on one, would they even flinch.

Other than dogs I haven't had to fight off anything else. Texas doesn't exactly have the sort of wildlife variety other places in the world have. Kangaroos are pretty special anyway. They are the only other mammal aside from us that can legit use boxing or other fighting techniques on themselves and others. Bears, lions, great apes, just bash, rip, and bite. Nothing special at all.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Dalaran1991 - 12-22-2016

I was thinking about all the cool techniques in Aikido/jujutsu that is a lot of fun to do, but is utterly useless or non-existent in real life. First thing came to my mind: Koshinage, or hip throw.

Its very fun to do and take, and teaches a lot of principles (body movement, positioning, etc) but seriously in what case can you use this in competition or self-defense? The guy must be an utter moron to leave his center exposed, or he must be bull charging you for this to be pulled off.

Whats more, the throw in itself isnt that effective. Even on hard concrete you are slamming his back on the ground, not his face, and though it hurts it will not incapacitate anyone. If you were in a position to do this, a knee to the face or head choke is way better.

Thoughts on this Kai and company?

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 12-22-2016

Quote: (12-22-2016 07:39 AM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

I was thinking about all the cool techniques in Aikido/jujutsu that is a lot of fun to do, but is utterly useless or non-existent in real life. First thing came to my mind: Koshinage, or hip throw.

Its very fun to do and take, and teaches a lot of principles (body movement, positioning, etc) but seriously in what case can you use this in competition or self-defense? The guy must be an utter moron to leave his center exposed, or he must be bull charging you for this to be pulled off.

Whats more, the throw in itself isnt that effective. Even on hard concrete you are slamming his back on the ground, not his face, and though it hurts it will not incapacitate anyone. If you were in a position to do this, a knee to the face or head choke is way better.

Hip throws are very relevant to self defense on the street! Thing is, there are many hip throws to choose from.

Koshinage is very similar to Judo's/JJ's/BJJ's Makikomi. (BJJ guys rename everything but it's the same fucking throw, just usually done from your knees)

Judo from a core perspective, has the best/most throws out of all the JJ branched styles. So while Aikido has a lot of throws as well, their throws incorporate SJM and wrist locks to go along with it. Judo does not have that.

A Koshinage is not different from a Fireman's Carry Throw either.

Think about it. If some big drunk bloke is screwing around at a party or club, and jumps on your back for no good fucking reason, if you knew this throw or you are a wrestler/grappler and you Fireman's Carry Toss him off your back, that is alot better than trying to put up hands for punches. If he came out of nowhere and surprised you like that, you don't have time for strikes. Boxers are at a big disadvantage in situations like this, but JJ derivative styles THRIVE on situations like that. Those kinds of throws are for DEFENSE, not OFFENSIVE.

You have to use the right throws, sweeps, and trips, for the right situation.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - vinman - 12-22-2016

I have to disagree, slightly. I have used hip throws, and modified throws to trip people before shit got to serious. Now some of the wrist lock and throws in Aikido, and Jiu Jitsu are some horse shit though. Like the Irimi Nage from the wrist grab.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 12-23-2016

Quote: (12-22-2016 06:29 PM)vinman Wrote:  

I have to disagree, slightly. I have used hip throws, and modified throws to trip people before shit got to serious. Now some of the wrist lock and throws in Aikido, and Jiu Jitsu are some horse shit though. Like the Irimi Nage from the wrist grab.

[Image: this-is-the-part-where-we-throw-our-head...augh-o.gif]

Oh Vinman! You must not be black belt rank or higher in your style to have that opinion.

That throw is not useless! They teach it to you early so that you master the movements so that they are supposed to teach you around black or higher, the advanced form of it.

That throw gets nastier when you add the "Invisible Weapon" component to it. Pressure points!

There are several on your neck and collar bone area (here is just a small example):

[Image: 75c88eb05b56bc7ee8ddde00c84ec099.jpg]

3 of these completely stop feeling in the legs, causing the opponent to immediately drop to the ground.

That is why this stuff is supposed to be gentle to execute. Doing that throw normally requires force and muscle to fully execute if the opponent is bigger. If the opponent pulls away hard, you are supposed to stop that throw mid-stride and switch to something else anyway. We always follow the path of least resistance.

Your instructors should know these things or should teach you when you are advanced enough. Unfortunately quite a few do not know themselves.

Typically once you hit black belt in JJ or whatever, either your teacher should teach you the advanced stuff, or you go to a higher Dan master or instructor within your school's affiliation, to learn it.

Or you can supplement it by training other styles that have it or with books/videos. Dr. Sang H Kim has a very very good book. He even has Dim Mak stuff in it.

Downsides to books and videos is that you really need to be advanced to understand the application use properly otherwise, it looks like magic, bullshit, or mumbo jumbo.

[Image: 4e7dfb4d-4c70-4fd7-91c2-613ccd5a9394_1.b...nBg=FFFFFF]

Even I cannot understand all of the things in his book, especially some of the Dim Mak stuff because I do not have a base in that or enough formal education on meridians and physiology. Some of the things I understand perfectly because of my JJ training had it in it to begin with. Some of those things are just repeat information for me, but it's a great book. It's not for beginners at all.

[Image: 51uLXWJGBnL._SX297_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

The Grand Master himself! Grandmaster George Kirby's book is incredible. Same deal with Dr. Kim's book. This is NOT for beginners and just like Kim's book, the stuff in here can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Master Kirby shows you all the nasty hidden versions of the same ol basic JuJitsu throws and locks. I learned a lot from him, more than what I could from other teachers because he is a 10th Dan ranked master in Japanese JuJitsu. I bet if I could have traveled to California to train at his school when I was young (unless they have an age restriction because I was a teen), they would have taught me the stuff but that wasn't an option for me.

When you don't have high ranks around you, try to go later or supplement with books. If you are advanced (brown belt or higher) you won't struggle to understand how it works at all, but if you read it as a beginner, you will think it's bullshit. When you get older and have the financial means, you can travel and get private lessons from masters to firm up what you know or learn even more new tricks, which is what I did.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Ski pro - 12-27-2016

Not sure if this was already posted but I thought you all might be interested in this

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38397916

3D recording of over 400 styles of kungfu going on in Asia.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - cascadecombo - 12-28-2016

If you think slamming someones face on the ground will happen you're a bit mistaken. Even an amateur has enough presence of mind to cover their face or find a way to lesson that. But I'm not trying to pick at that, if you get someone on their back on the ground you have a very high chance for them to also slam the back of their head on the concrete. The majority of the damage is them hitting that hard ground, not the throw itself.

Something to keep in mind, a single throw is far from the entirety of a skillset. Even then just the attempt at a throw opens up any number of other openings when they try to defend that. It's part of why people train throws in combinations, trying to predict how their opponent will defend the first move should it fail.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Stay - 12-29-2016

Hey TK great thread. Not sure if this question belongs on this thread but thought I'd post.

Recently taken up boxing and I was wondering what your thoughts were on my stance situation.

I'm left handed, I feel naturally more comfortable in the south paw stance however my right side is much stronger. My left straight is still powerful probs 90-95% of my right but one of the trainers after noticing the power in my jabs wants me to train orthodox.

My pinoy buddy who fought for years back home says I could be at a solid advantage being a natural south paw but having solid power in my right.

Wondered what your or any others opinion was on the matter. Should I sacrifice having a lead hand that's actually a threat or should I go orthodox for the extra 5-10% more power in the back?

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 12-29-2016

Quote: (12-29-2016 01:09 PM)Stay Wrote:  

Hey TK great thread. Not sure if this question belongs on this thread but thought I'd post.

Recently taken up boxing and I was wondering what your thoughts were on my stance situation.

I'm left handed, I feel naturally more comfortable in the southpaw stance however my right side is much stronger. My left straight is still powerful probs 90-95% of my right but one of the trainers after noticing the power in my jabs wants me to train orthodox.

My pinoy buddy who fought for years back home says I could be at a solid advantage being a natural southpaw but having solid power in my right.

Wondered what your or any others opinion was on the matter. Should I sacrifice having a lead hand that's actually a threat or should I go orthodox for the extra 5-10% more power in the back?

Gosh that is a tough one there. I am a southpaw myself (ambidextrous really), but I use my right hand predominately on other things in life. One of the reasons I stayed southpaw was because my left hand is slower than my right (but waay more powerful in a hook).

More importantly it just felt extremely comfortable!!! It just felt right! Because of that I practiced like a madman to make sure it worked as if I was a lefthanded person.

In some ways, it was always an issue because I could bat left or right handed in baseball growing up. It would piss off pitchers if I switched on the plate. Sometimes they would throw at my body for doing it. [Image: sad.gif]

It pisses off opponents in matches if you switch boxing stances too. Be prepared for hate in the ring or in the dojo if you switch alot, like I do. It really gets into guys heads like crazy.

Anyway, I digress. Your Filipino friend is correct. It does give you an advantage.

What is the speed difference for you like? I have a massive speed difference between my right jab and my left jab. It's so bad it's like I am two different people in one person. My right jab is like lightning with good power. It's just too tempting to give that up, especially if I can track head movements and absolutely punish guys that are very quick and evasive defense wise. The followup smash with my left after a good jab like that is just too sweet to give up just to fight orthodox for me.

I guess my best advice would be to record yourself doing both. Study the film. Write down what you see. Make a strengths and weakness set of columns. Power is one thing, but speed matters. Depending on a certain opponent, probably alot more than your actual power. Remember boxing is a point sport system. Being technical and winning matches is more important than trying to knock a dude out or trying to hurt him.

Also consider your body work game as well. Clinch work, body shots up close and far, uppercuts too. My left uppercut is nasty, so I don't have to switch feet to get it in, unless I switched to orthodox for whatever reason. My right one isn't so great, so I use it to distract or feint what I really want to do.

Sorry for the long winded answer, hopefully this will help.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Stay - 12-29-2016

No problem with the long winded answers it's what makes this thread so informative.

Both the power and speed of my right jab put my left to shame. Not just that but I can just whip and snap it so much more naturally while moving than my left.

My actual aim is to get into MMA. Wondered if you had any thoughts on getting as good at it as possible realistically within your physical limitations?

My situation is I'm 25 I have around 3 years I can comfortably play with in regards to financial worries and I'm in SEA where the oppurtunities are abundant. I can do it full time will be living in camps. I recently read the book mastery by Robert Greene and I have this strong urge to get really good at something.

I have a process in mind. Plan was to spend the first 6 months or so getting in great shape while becoming somewhat competent in boxing and acquiring some amateur boxing fight experience. This is in the phils, boxing bouts are more common than Muay Thai. Then it was to head to Thailand and do the same thing but with Muay Thai.

Reason I chose the phils and boxing first was due to my experience in Thailand of the Muay Thai camps lacking in their boxing. I felt it was being simplified and almost left out. While at the same time I'd be training in bjj/grappling and mma specific classes to understand what is advantageous from each are and being aware of bad habits that don't cross over well into mma.

I will also be supplementing this with various resources from YouTube fight analysis breakdowns to podcasts to books to courses in an effort to increase my fight IQ.

In the past Iv found some gyms and lessons to be overwhelming in terms of information particuarly in bjj.
I'm thinking of coming up with like a blueprint of what I need to learn over say the course of a year and breaking it down into months and weeks.

Anything else you would recommend doing to optimise learning?

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Dalaran1991 - 12-30-2016

Like the Irimi Nage from the wrist grab.

I thought the same when I was a noob. When I became an advanced student we start to realize how Irimi Nage is among the most dangerous of all techniques.

If you goggle "can Aikido kill?" you will run into some articles about aikido causing deaths in Jap universities because some guys got together in unsupervised training to test whether aikido techniques "really work". The two techniques that cause the most death and injury are shihonage and Iriminage.

I have to concur that in demonstration Iriminage look like fucking tango, but thats because the Uke(the receiver) has to know how to move in such a way to survive that throw.

Kai already stated it, I'll just add in that Iriminage is not originally a throw, it is a neck break. In the video above, instead of just grabbing the neck from behind you go immediately for a neck twist with both hands and the attacker's momentum. Unless you want your neck twisted you have to continue the momentum, plunge down and around in order to regain balance. Only if the Uke is able to do this, can you continue with the throw ending in the fancy breakfall (which by the way is a second neck break). In reality against an unsuspecting opponent a properly executed Iriminage would be simply a neck break from behind at high speed.

Another dangerous version I've seen Jujitsu people do this is while doing the neck twist, instead of simply twisting the neck around you twist it around and down, so even if the guy survives the neck twist, the very movement he used to get out of it would result in him slamming face-first on the ground. It also allows to attack neck pressure points as Kai pointed out. It is forbidden to practice this in Aikido because most people dont have the control (or self-control) to prevent injury, but I've heard that Jujutsu people, especially from the Daito-ryu branch, are pretty hardcore [Image: lol.gif]

Lots of people discredit aikido because it looks like a fucking dance (which it seems like), and the whole "the art of peace" philosophy. If you actually study aikido in depth you realize there's no fucking peace in this art. First, Ueshiba sensei the guy who invented this, for all his talents, was a fucking psycho. He fought in war, exceled at it and love it. He taught the Japanese special police, as well as interogation techniques using pressure points/body mutilation. Guy excel in swordmanship and bayonnet, and taught guerilla warfare.

So even after he lost the war he suddenly has a castrated moment and decides to go jerk off creating an art of peace, all his vicious fighting experience remains imbedded in Aikido with him. Go take some Sankyo and Yonkyo and tell me how peaceful that is. You realize that you are completely at the mercy of your opponent and if he turns out to be a sadist psycho (which Ueshiba was, once) you are in for a ton of pain.

Its pretty sad and frustrating to study aikido because most instructors dont even know about this stuff. THey just learn and get very good at doing aikido techniques without even knowing why and how the techniques were created in the first place. But if you have the chance to study with a good teacher, I do believe this art has wonders to offer.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 12-30-2016

Quote: (12-29-2016 08:09 PM)Stay Wrote:  

No problem with the long winded answers it's what makes this thread so informative.

Both the power and speed of my right jab put my left to shame. Not just that but I can just whip and snap it so much more naturally while moving than my left.

My actual aim is to get into MMA. Wondered if you had any thoughts on getting as good at it as possible realistically within your physical limitations?

My situation is I'm 25 I have around 3 years I can comfortably play with in regards to financial worries and I'm in SEA where the oppurtunities are abundant. I can do it full time will be living in camps. I recently read the book mastery by Robert Greene and I have this strong urge to get really good at something.

I have a process in mind. Plan was to spend the first 6 months or so getting in great shape while becoming somewhat competent in boxing and acquiring some amateur boxing fight experience. This is in the phils, boxing bouts are more common than Muay Thai. Then it was to head to Thailand and do the same thing but with Muay Thai.

Reason I chose the phils and boxing first was due to my experience in Thailand of the Muay Thai camps lacking in their boxing. I felt it was being simplified and almost left out. While at the same time I'd be training in bjj/grappling and mma specific classes to understand what is advantageous from each are and being aware of bad habits that don't cross over well into mma.

I will also be supplementing this with various resources from YouTube fight analysis breakdowns to podcasts to books to courses in an effort to increase my fight IQ.

In the past Iv found some gyms and lessons to be overwhelming in terms of information particuarly in bjj.
I'm thinking of coming up with like a blueprint of what I need to learn over say the course of a year and breaking it down into months and weeks.

Anything else you would recommend doing to optimise learning?

Sounds like you are just like me striking style wise. I would say stick with Southpaw then. We could write a whole thread about the importance of the jab in boxing.

I will give you some advice you almost never hear in the UFC/MMA world nowadays. Master something first. Either boxing, Wrestling, BJJ, etc. Too many guys are generic as fuck and unless you are Jon Bones Jones, you will fail to go very deep into the sport. The vast majority of successful MMA fighters all have a specialty or mastery in something. Those guys tend to stay in the sport longer. It's also possible to master two things during your career. BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Wanderlei Silva, Randy Colture, GSP, quickly come to mind.

You should get good at boxing before you go into more MMA. That way, if you wind up being so good at boxing, you could make 10 times what you would make in MMA. Very few legit pro boxers go to the UFC. Not because they are scared or not good enough to switch over, but because boxing pays much more. In fact boxing has no ceiling on pay. Floyd before he retired earned more than all athletes, even Lebron and Messi. This is the only reason why UFC will not grow bigger than what it is.

If you are not good enough to rank decent in WBC, etc. then switch to MMA. Your advanced hands skills could take you far. Don't be afraid that you will get beaten out like Kimbo Slice or similar. For starters, Kimbo was NOT a legit boxer. A street boxer and a legit pro boxer are two totally different things. He was being billed as a striker, yet he was terrible at movement, level changes, and many other technical things boxers are good for. The hard truth is that he was a terrible striker with no ground game at all, just a semi-powerful guy.

Guys like Nick Diaz or Brandon Vera were pro boxer caliber guys that also happen to be MMA guys. They started out like you doing boxing before all the BJJ and etc. that came afterwards. People in MMA don't give these guys credit for their hands because they do not know their history well. Nam Phan was a boxer too, but alot of people do not know that. His boxing surprised people in the UFC from time to time.

Another UFC fighter that trained me, that I won't say in public on the forum, did what you are doing. He lived in Thailand doing Muay Thai and boxing for a while. When he came back to the US, he got a black belt in BJJ. Funnily enough, I don't think Joe Rogan or anyone in the UFC even knows he lived there for a while, but I do. I know other countries he has lived and fought in too. He is known in the UFC for his BJJ and his submissions, but no one knows he kicked fruit trees in Thailand for a good long while.

Follow his and Nam Phan's example. The less the opponent knows about you, the better off you will be in the long run. Make them earn their knowledge of your skills by being forced to watch you on film. Watching guys like GSP on film study sessions is like being lied to by a girlfriend and you know she lying. It's very frustrating to plan for guys like that.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 12-30-2016

Quote: (12-30-2016 04:19 AM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

I thought the same when I was a noob. When I became an advanced student we start to realize how Irimi Nage is among the most dangerous of all techniques.

If you goggle "can Aikido kill?" you will run into some articles about aikido causing deaths in Jap universities because some guys got together in unsupervised training to test whether aikido techniques "really work". The two techniques that cause the most death and injury are shihonage and Iriminage.

I have to concur that in demonstration Iriminage look like fucking tango, but thats because the Uke(the receiver) has to know how to move in such a way to survive that throw.

Kai already stated it, I'll just add in that Iriminage is not originally a throw, it is a neck break. In the video above, instead of just grabbing the neck from behind you go immediately for a neck twist with both hands and the attacker's momentum. Unless you want your neck twisted you have to continue the momentum, plunge down and around in order to regain balance. Only if the Uke is able to do this, can you continue with the throw ending in the fancy breakfall (which by the way is a second neck break). In reality against an unsuspecting opponent a properly executed Iriminage would be simply a neck break from behind at high speed.

Another dangerous version I've seen Jujitsu people do this is while doing the neck twist, instead of simply twisting the neck around you twist it around and down, so even if the guy survives the neck twist, the very movement he used to get out of it would result in him slamming face-first on the ground. It also allows to attack neck pressure points as Kai pointed out. It is forbidden to practice this in Aikido because most people dont have the control (or self-control) to prevent injury, but I've heard that Jujutsu people, especially from the Daito-ryu branch, are pretty hardcore [Image: lol.gif]

Lots of people discredit aikido because it looks like a fucking dance (which it seems like), and the whole "the art of peace" philosophy. If you actually study aikido in depth you realize there's no fucking peace in this art. First, Ueshiba sensei the guy who invented this, for all his talents, was a fucking psycho. He fought in war, exceled at it and love it. He taught the Japanese special police, as well as interogation techniques using pressure points/body mutilation. Guy excel in swordmanship and bayonnet, and taught guerilla warfare.

So even after he lost the war he suddenly has a castrated moment and decides to go jerk off creating an art of peace, all his vicious fighting experience remains imbedded in Aikido with him. Go take some Sankyo and Yonkyo and tell me how peaceful that is. You realize that you are completely at the mercy of your opponent and if he turns out to be a sadist psycho (which Ueshiba was, once) you are in for a ton of pain.

Its pretty sad and frustrating to study aikido because most instructors dont even know about this stuff. THey just learn and get very good at doing aikido techniques without even knowing why and how the techniques were created in the first place. But if you have the chance to study with a good teacher, I do believe this art has wonders to offer.

Good insights.

Yeah in JJ, they will teach you versions appropriate for your rank. Some schools just teach it all to preserve the traditions of the art. Like how to slice the neck while disarming a knife from an attacker. The teacher just tells you not to do it in real life because you could go to jail for excessive force.

This stuff is why Aikido takes a long time to master. Guys close to mastery tend to know how dangerous Aikido can be, but no one else has a clue how effective it can be. Like you said, some schools won't teach it or only to guys 10+ years in. Certain masters may teach you the juicy stuff if you feel like you plateau and that is worth some light travel.

Judo, just like Aikido came from teachers that were violent and just had an epiphany and simply defanged the JJ they were taught more or less. Samurai still used most of the core of it, because it comes from kenjutsu.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - vinman - 01-01-2017

Quote: (12-30-2016 04:19 AM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

Good explanation Dalaran

[Image: clap2.gif]

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Leonard D Neubache - 01-02-2017

For a forum dedicated to patriarchal right wing bigots who espouse mindless violence and only see life through the prism of primitive dominance it comes as no surprise that no mention has yet been made of the most enlightened and powerful form of self defence.

Yellow Bamboo.

The long-weekend training course in this mystic art was intensive to say the least, but I can claim with certainty that I am every bit as powerful as the practitioners you see here.

I don't want to pick apart Travelerkai's hard work, but none of the martial arts he listed are complete in the true sense of the word. If you jump straight to 6:20 of the video above you will see that Yellow Bamboo is the only discipline that allows you to defeat your enemy even after he or she appears to have defeated you. This footage was taken early on the first day of the course and so Miranda was still finding her centre of power but rest assured she was every bit as powerful as the rest of us by Tuesday.

Travelerkai, brother of the mortal realm, I understand that this might be hard to take in. You have wasted many years down a dark path. These revelations will likely trigger in you a deep sense of resentment and bitterness. Know that I am sending you much positive energy to help balance your yang in this dark time for you.

In any case, as the ancient Hindu monks of Kilimanjaro would say,

Dosvedanya