Roosh V Forum
The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge (/thread-54749.html)

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Off The Reservation - 06-09-2016

Quote: (06-04-2016 07:47 PM)Gyro Wrote:  

Guys so I would really appreciate some guidance, I'm not going to lie I'm pretty lost on what direction I'm going to move after college. I know for a fact that I want to be a business owner, and my entire paternal lineage has been comprised of extremely successful businessmen, but they are gone and can offer no guidance.

Anyways, i'll be graduating probably in a year and a half with a biochem degree from a extremeley prestigious university but shit GPA and decent experience (I'm going to hustle this last year and land one last corporate internship).

What direction should I go in? the plan is to work at a mediocre paying job with a 9-5 schedule or better so that I can dedicate the rest of the time to developing a quality prototypes, testing said prototypes with dummy sites, etc.

Finding said job is the fucking problem...Is it a waste of time to start off with consulting? or what kind of sales can I get into with a biochem degree?

The end goal obviously being that I run a company that I can make a living off of. I just want to take the dive in, but I need investment capital and my pride won't allow me to work for minimum wage.

If the last statement is true then don't take steps that do not lead to this.
If you trap yourself in certain car payments and bills and end up needing a salary you lower your chances of trying new things. If you can find a way to live cheap while you try to create your new company it will help.

What is it you can do now that people will pay you for that does not involve employment?

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - redbeard - 06-11-2016

Always remember...if you're having trouble with something, there's probably an Indian guy on Fiverr who will help push you in the right direction

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Kona - 06-11-2016

Quote: (06-09-2016 11:25 PM)Off The Reservation Wrote:  

Quote: (06-04-2016 07:47 PM)Gyro Wrote:  

Guys so I would really appreciate some guidance, I'm not going to lie I'm pretty lost on what direction I'm going to move after college. I know for a fact that I want to be a business owner, and my entire paternal lineage has been comprised of extremely successful businessmen, but they are gone and can offer no guidance.

Anyways, i'll be graduating probably in a year and a half with a biochem degree from a extremeley prestigious university but shit GPA and decent experience (I'm going to hustle this last year and land one last corporate internship).

What direction should I go in? the plan is to work at a mediocre paying job with a 9-5 schedule or better so that I can dedicate the rest of the time to developing a quality prototypes, testing said prototypes with dummy sites, etc.

Finding said job is the fucking problem...Is it a waste of time to start off with consulting? or what kind of sales can I get into with a biochem degree?

The end goal obviously being that I run a company that I can make a living off of. I just want to take the dive in, but I need investment capital and my pride won't allow me to work for minimum wage.

If the last statement is true then don't take steps that do not lead to this.
If you trap yourself in certain car payments and bills and end up needing a salary you lower your chances of trying new things. If you can find a way to live cheap while you try to create your new company it will help.

What is it you can do now that people will pay you for that does not involve employment?

If you come from a long line of successful businessmen, somebody in your family has to have a lot of money.

Go talk to that person. Then ask them for money to start some type of business.

You are young. It doesn't matter what it is, just start something. Figure out how business works. If the one you start is a success, great, if not scrap it.

Just do something and shit will fall in line.

Aloha!

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - H1N1 - 06-13-2016

Biochemistry is a great area to be involved in at the moment. I would try to stay in it if I were you; I think there's a lot of money to be made. A friend of mine started a business a few years ago providing synthetic DNA libraries. It seems to be doing very well the field generally is fascinating. If you're genuinely interested in something you should be able to innovate in that field over time.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Off The Reservation - 06-17-2016

Quote: (06-13-2016 09:44 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  

Biochemistry is a great area to be involved in at the moment. I would try to stay in it if I were you; I think there's a lot of money to be made. A friend of mine started a business a few years ago providing synthetic DNA libraries. It seems to be doing very well the field generally is fascinating. If you're genuinely interested in something you should be able to innovate in that field over time.

fascinating field

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - AneroidOcean - 06-17-2016

Today:

Woke up about 3 hours earlier than normal, cleaned my place up a bunch (to prep it for a vacation rental coming in) while jamming to some reggae and sipping on a big coffee. I'd made the list the night before and then kind of fucked off but set my alarm and told myself positive thoughts. Felt great to complete it 100%.

Went to the locksmith to deal with a key I need to sell a large piece of equipment and still made it to my day job with time to spare.

I'm getting off work a little early today and working an event at a luxury hotel for some extra money.

Working 3 jobs today, moving along a large equipment sale, being productive.

Das it mane, feels good.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Hades - 06-18-2016

Does anybody host fun stuff like dance classes? That Aaron Clarey guy (Captain Capitalism) said he used to do it to drum up easy cash during the warmer months. I'm thinking about hosting a couple of seminars this summer, charge like a hundred bucks a head, and get my money situation right. If anybody has done that sort of thing, PM me, figuring out a couple of logistics from somebody who has done it already would be a great help.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Easy_C - 06-18-2016

If you're looking for a start job with a low GPA, you're best bet is to try to find smaller shops. A lot of them care less about GPA than demonstrated ability.

That said prestige can be useful. I don't care much for it myself but it can be a great "certified smart" stamp that will make it easier to convince people that you know what you're doing.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Herr Lucifer - 06-18-2016

3 jobs? 8 hours + 8 hours + 8 hours? When do you sleep?

Sleep is essential to productivity.

Quote: (06-17-2016 05:50 PM)AneroidOcean Wrote:  

Working 3 jobs today
, moving along a large equipment sale, being productive.

Das it mane, feels good.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Saweeep - 06-18-2016

Quote: (06-18-2016 02:12 PM)Hades Wrote:  

Does anybody host fun stuff like dance classes? That Aaron Clarey guy (Captain Capitalism) said he used to do it to drum up easy cash during the warmer months. I'm thinking about hosting a couple of seminars this summer, charge like a hundred bucks a head, and get my money situation right. If anybody has done that sort of thing, PM me, figuring out a couple of logistics from somebody who has done it already would be a great help.

the logistics are easy, it's the advertising you'll need to be on point with for it to succeed.

I hope he won't mind me saying this but Rio is a whizz at internet marketing for similar stuff. Might be worth seeing if he can help in some way.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Hades - 06-20-2016

Quote: (06-18-2016 05:04 PM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

the logistics are easy, it's the advertising you'll need to be on point with for it to succeed.

I hope he won't mind me saying this but Rio is a whizz at internet marketing for similar stuff. Might be worth seeing if he can help in some way.

My one-man-brand twitter account is lagging like shit. Everyone (correctly) figures I'm completely insane. I have to podcast or something...

I was thinking about hosting a sort of primitive weapons seminar and advertising at the local gun shop. I have to drum up some quick cash and pay off these fucking medical bills. The cops let me out of the squad car when I got arrested and took me over in an ambulance due to probably insanity (hadn't slept more than a couple hours in about a week). I just got the bill for for the ambulance ride and it's frankly obscene.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - AneroidOcean - 06-20-2016

Quote: (06-18-2016 04:08 PM)Herr Lucifer Wrote:  

I got about 4 hours of sleep, which is not optimal by any means, but I had a deadline to meet and a lot to get accomplished so I sucked it up and pushed through.

I didn't say three 8-hour shifts, I said 3 jobs. One was about 3 hours plus the hour or so the night before so a short part-time shift. I consider the vacation rental a job as it's significant income but it's not a full business. You could call it self-employed but it's not full time. This rental alone will pay for a month's worth of living expenses with a relatively minimal time investment. I'm not below cleaning my toilet, bleaching my shower, etc... to cover my month's living expenses. It pays better than a lot of jobs I've had. The biggest negative is having to move out of my place for a few nights, but it's a worthy trade-off if I schedule it to coincide on one end of a trip. I've got some comfortable beds and couches to sleep on at friend's places and I get the added bonus of spending time with them.

2nd job is my day job, usually an 8 to 10+ hour shift but I cut it a bit short so I could make my 3rd job which is also a part time shift. I'm an event contractor and ended up working nearly 5 hours and getting some free food and drinks from my client/my client's guests.

One pretty long day and I've paid for my month's living expenses and took home some decent fun money from the day job combined with more from the contracting job, a full belly, and a couple well poured drinks.

I welcome more days like that. I'd like to work less hours, but the outcome was well worth it in my mind.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Off The Reservation - 06-20-2016

Quote: (06-18-2016 04:08 PM)Herr Lucifer Wrote:  

Quote: (06-17-2016 05:50 PM)AneroidOcean Wrote:  

Working 3 jobs today
, moving along a large equipment sale, being productive.

Das it mane, feels good.
No sleep = costllly errors

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - storm - 06-21-2016

How can we monetize white knighting?

(and use the profits to bang out cute skinny girls)

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - username - 06-21-2016

Quote: (06-21-2016 01:25 AM)storm Wrote:  

First thing that came to my mind...

Make a site similar to Kickstarter or GoFundMe but with no accountability, products, nor services. Basically a hot girl can say "Hey my lovez, I need $900 for a new iPhone, thanks luv u" and idiot guys will contribute to her. The site will take 5% to 10%. Guys earn something like "trophies" for contributing the most. Just like a cam site but without the girl getting naked. Take e-begging to the next level.

I'm not really familiar with the whole crowdfunding sphere so perhaps a site like this already exist. If not, it is definitely a great idea.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Il Sorpasso - 06-21-2016

you can try eWhoring, people make hundreds of thousands exploiting thirsty dudes, but it can be illegal if you use someone else's identity. It's a pretty weird way of making money tho... so perhaps make it a hobby [Image: icon_mrgreen.gif]

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Sooth - 06-21-2016

I've got myself into quite an interesting situation where I'm employed by a great guy who doesn't pay very well, but is happy for his workers to be using his contacts and machines to do their own business. I'm the only one to have discovered this of course, since everyone else only works to work, then get money and go home.

I just confirmed a deal where I'll make the equivalent of 2 months wages with about 2 weeks worth of after hours work.

I'll do it myself now, but in the future I plan on paying his staff (my work mates) to do "perkies/cashies" (after hours work for them selves) for me while I still work 7-5 in his business.

My advice is definitely get skilled in something. You have to be good at something - anything. It's easiest if you're good at something that other people aren't good at.

Then you have to make it known that you are good at that thing.
Then you have to get creative.

Find people who need that thing and sell to them. The creative part is that most of the time they don't know they need your thing.

A fun thing is selling something you don't even own. When you find a buyer, make an offer to the seller. Buy it from seller for x and sell it the same day for xx.

If that sounds like cliche business advice to you it means you're not good at anything in particular.

When you become an expert in something business doesn't just start to makes sense, it rings you up on your cellphone and says "I need to give you my money".

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Sooth - 06-21-2016

To follow my last post, I just want to stress how important it is that you are OF VALUE.

You have to be valuable.
What is value?
Value is what people are prepared to pay for.
How do you get value?

WORK! Work is what creates value. There are no shortcuts. It's a law as strict as gravity.

Of course this sounds familiar with us men, but you try tell your average faggot millennial guy this and you'll probably get the police called on you.

Your value depends on how many people want your work.

Is it a good idea to become a puppeteer?

Fuck no.

Is it a good idea to become a product developer?

Yes.

What sort of product developer?

One with a father. Build shit up. Most people don't have fathers to teach them how to use a hack saw or a chisel, to hand down hand tools etc.
Make shit work, use critical thinking to figure out what something should be doing and why it's not doing it. Pursue it because you know and like the feeling of accomplishment.

Then use you skills of knowing why shit doesn't do what it should do to make something that does what it should. Then get money.

I tell you the young engineer who understands our 4 dimensional world and knows how to measure it to one thou has yuge opportunity awaiting. Guaranteed $$$.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Eddie Winslow - 06-22-2016

The "market inefficiency" that desperately needs a monetized solution is flaking. Think about how many billions of hours and dollars are wasted every year by people who give others their 100% verbal commitment, only to inconsiderately bail at the last minute with no real consequence:

-Dating
-Social Events
-Craigslist sales
-Business Meetings
-Group Vacations that require team commitment

Airlines, hotels, and doctors don't put up with this bullshit millennial behavior. If you flake on them, it is understood that you will receive a bill or lose a deposit for wasting everyone's time. I have a couple ideas about how to make this work...any app developers out there? [Image: biggrin.gif]

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - jamaicabound - 06-22-2016

If you've done this or are considering doing it or have done it I'd love to see a data sheet or writeup. I've been curious about doing something like this maybe teaching people how to make money online, amazon fba, kindle publishing, online hustling etc but never knew how large of a crowd, I could attract, whether to do it solo or bring in other speakers, what type of venue to get, etc.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - username - 06-22-2016

Quote: (06-22-2016 01:54 PM)Eddie Winslow Wrote:  

The "market inefficiency" that desperately needs a monetized solution is flaking. Think about how many billions of hours and dollars are wasted every year by people who give others their 100% verbal commitment, only to inconsiderately bail at the last minute with no real consequence:

-Dating
-Social Events
-Craigslist sales
-Business Meetings

Airlines, hotels, and doctors don't put up with this bullshit millennial behavior. If you flake on them, it is understood that you will receive a bill or lose a deposit for wasting everyone's time. I have a couple ideas about how to make this work...any app developers out there? [Image: biggrin.gif]

Not just millennial behavior. I got flaked on a $50k deal with a 68 year old guy just recently. Spent months negotiating back and forth wasting my time while locking out other potential buyers and then at the last minute the asshole backed out.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - leanmeansexmachine - 06-23-2016

An interesting idea for anyone who wants to be location independent with laptop is becoming a freelance recruiter.

I got into a conversation a couple of days ago with some guy who does this, he basically took a 4 month course and then started on his own. All he has to do is work hard the first week of the month, connect the clients to job seekers and then they pay him the job seekers first month salary if succesfull. You can also work on a commission basis. He told me he was earning around €50.000 per year doing this and only working a couple of hours each week. Not millionaire status but definitely good money if you are not living in the West.

I have been looking into doing this aswell on freelancing sites and it looks promising.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - storm - 06-24-2016

Quote: (06-22-2016 07:50 PM)username Wrote:  

-Dating
-Social Events
-Craigslist sales
-Business Meetings

Not just millennial behavior. I got flaked on a $50k deal with a 68 year old guy just recently. Spent months negotiating back and forth wasting my time while locking out other potential buyers and then at the last minute the asshole backed out.

I like this idea, I'd use it myself. Are you going to make it? Keep me posted.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - 456 - 06-30-2016

^^ count me in on monetizing flaking and/or an above-board eWhoring site that takes a healthy cut. I may have tech resources to contribute.

The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge - Off The Reservation - 07-14-2016

Quote: (06-22-2016 07:50 PM)username Wrote:  

-Dating
-Social Events
-Craigslist sales
-Business Meetings

What signs were there from the start that it wasn't a deal? Maybe he was an asshole but maybe you have to improve your steps.