Roosh V Forum
The Ukraine Thread III - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: The Ukraine Thread III (/thread-37535.html)

The Ukraine Thread III - Vinny - 08-14-2016

Quote: (08-13-2016 10:49 PM)Brodiaga Wrote:  

Hey guys, anybody in Odessa? I'm going there for a couple of weeks starting from next Sunday, August 21. I'll be there with a couple of buddies, but if any RVFers are there, let's meet up.

I'm a native Russian speaker, but I've never been to Ukraine.

You choose a right city to start with for a Russian speaker. There is nearly no Ukrainian speech heard in Odessa.

Make sure not to stay in the city center but rent the apartment closer to Arcadia, with all the beach clubs. (that is if you enjoy nightlife) At least for your first week as in the end of August beginning of September nightlife in Arcadia slowly dies out and then you better move closer to Deribasovskaya street. But all of this highly depends on the weather.

Prepare to hear some Odessan accent "Та шо ты гхонишь!" [Image: biggrin.gif]

The Ukraine Thread III - Brodiaga - 08-14-2016

Quote: (08-14-2016 01:11 PM)Vinny Wrote:  

You choose a right city to start with for a Russian speaker. There is nearly no Ukrainian speech heard in Odessa.

Make sure not to stay in the city center but rent the apartment closer to Arcadia, with all the beach clubs. (that is if you enjoy nightlife) At least for your first week as in the end of August beginning of September nightlife in Arcadia slowly dies out and then you better move closer to Deribasovskaya street. But all of this highly depends on the weather.

Prepare to hear some Odessan accent "Та шо ты гхонишь!" [Image: biggrin.gif]

I'll be staying near Arcadia. Will probably venture out to Deribasovskaya a few times, but I don't think i'm going to move there unless Arcadia really starts to suck and everything there shuts down.

What's with the taxis in Odessa btw, is there something like Uber there or a local equivalent?

Another question is about clothes. I don't know if i should bring a blazer to hit the clubs, may be overkill. Will probably bring a leather jacket in case it gets colder. Also nice casual clothes and beach wear. Is it a good plan or should it suit up?

Quote: (08-14-2016 03:06 PM)Brodiaga Wrote:  

I'll be staying near Arcadia. Will probably venture out to Deribasovskaya a few times, but I don't think i'm going to move there unless Arcadia really starts to suck and everything there shuts down.

What's with the taxis in Odessa btw, is there something like Uber there or a local equivalent?

Another question is about clothes. I don't know if i should bring a blazer to hit the clubs, may be overkill. Will probably bring a leather jacket in case it gets colder. Also nice casual clothes and beach wear. Is it a good plan or should it suit up?

Use uklon app, it works well in any major city of Ukraine. If you set it up well (save favourite locations) it can be few minutes between you picking up your phone and you already sitting in a car, like having a personal driver for 2$ a day [Image: biggrin.gif]
Ask girls for the cheap taxi numbers as market is very flexible. On every visit to Odessa I find that prices change. Also different companies are better for different parts of Odessa.

I had a mistake once of arriving to Odessa beginning of September and getting apartment in Arcadia. The area felt like a necropolis.

I never wore a blazer in Odessa. It might look strange in a beach club.

Quote: (08-14-2016 04:41 PM)Vinny Wrote:  

Use uklon app, it works well in any major city of Ukraine. If you set it up well (save favourite locations) it can be few minutes between you picking up your phone and you already sitting in a car, like having a personal driver for 2$ a day [Image: biggrin.gif]
Ask girls for the cheap taxi numbers as market is very flexible. On every visit to Odessa I find that prices change. Also different companies are better for different parts of Odessa.

I had a mistake once of arriving to Odessa beginning of September and getting apartment in Arcadia. The area felt like a necropolis.

Thanks Vinny.

About Arcadia. Thing is, I already booked a place there, so I either have to cancel/change the booking now or pay for it regardless. I'm only in Odessa until Sept 3, so I hope Arcadia doesn't get empty until then. If it does, i'll just be taking a taxi to the center and back.

The Ukraine Thread III - jimukr104 - 08-14-2016

It is too hot to wear a blazer. Brodiaga..say it isn't so. Odessa should be LAST of all the cities you go in UA. As a native speaker even you should know that! (Odessan men hate odesan women)

The Ukraine Thread III - Going strong - 08-14-2016

Quote: (08-14-2016 05:10 PM)Brodiaga Wrote:  

Thanks Vinny.

About Arcadia. Thing is, I already booked a place there, so I either have to cancel/change the booking now or pay for it regardless. I'm only in Odessa until Sept 3, so I hope Arcadia doesn't get empty until then. If it does, i'll just be taking a taxi to the center and back.

Going to a city (Odessa) with so many (hundreds of thousands probably) beautiful local women,... and gaming in tourist-trap Arcadia, should be for non-Russian speakers (or a one-shot thing for curious newcomers, like I did, but just once or twice).

I mean, if you speak Russian, game at the (many other, authentic) real-local-people beaches, or at various locations within the city (not limiting yourself to the, tourist-trap also -though genuinely beautiful-, center)

Anyway, it is more than that, bear with me: if one is fluent in Russian (like apparently Brodiaga is), one should go to 2d tier Russia (Moscow if very wealthy) - (or, less reasonable but not bad option: Kiev or 2d tier Ukraine).

My point being, is someone is a perfect Russian speaker (but not millionaire), is there any better, more intelligent option, than second-tier Russia? Unless one has no time for getting a Russian visa, of course, and then, Kiev dwarfs Odessa (for gaming options).

jimukr and I reached the same conclusion at the same moment, almost... Native speakers have much better options than Odessa: all of Russia, to begin with, and then Kiev.

Quote: (08-14-2016 05:29 PM)Going strong Wrote:  

Going to a city (Odessa) with so many (hundreds of thousands probably) beautiful local women,... and gaming in tourist-trap Arcadia, should be for non-Russian speakers (or a one-shot thing for curious newcomers, like I did, but just once or twice).

I mean, if you speak Russian, game at the (many other, authentic) real-local-people beaches, or at various locations within the city (not limiting yourself to the, tourist-trap also -though genuinely beautiful-, center)

Anyway, it is more than that, bear with me: if one is fluent in Russian (like apparently Brodiaga is), one should go to 2d tier Russia (Moscow if very wealthy) - (or, less reasonable but not bad option: Kiev or 2d tier Ukraine).

My point being, is someone is a perfect Russian speaker (but not millionaire), is there any better, more intelligent option, than second-tier Russia? Unless one has no time for getting a Russian visa, of course, and then, Kiev dwarfs Odessa (for gaming options).

Tbh I'm going mostly because my buddies are going. I'm also staying near Arcadia because that's where they are staying.

I traveled solo to SEA recently, and in terms of numbers of lays, nothing can beat SEA where it's like shooting fish in a barrel. However, that trip was kind of boring otherwise, especially when other RVFers were not around. So, this time I'm not going for numbers. I just want to chill, shoot the shit my buddies and maybe get laid with a girl or two (I don't even care if they're from Odessa or also visiting).

Yes, I could go to some second tier Russian city or some exotic place like Tashkent where, according to one of the experts in this thread, girls give up poosy like it's going out of style. But I've already booked my tickets to Odessa for this time. If nothing else, at least I'll find out if all the jokes about people from Odessa are true.

In any case, happy 2000th post, comrade Brodiaga!

Slavic Birthday gift:
[Image: Anna-Chapman-Maxim.jpg]

All this talk about Odessa.
I do partially agree. That is why last 2 times I came in autumn and winter.
Less tourists, less competition, cheaper prices.
I am always renting the same apartment on Pushkinskaya which is amazing and costs 15euros per day. In summer it is 45 [Image: smile.gif]
I do like Odessan girls however some of them are the most materialistic in whole FSU.

Every hot girl I met in Kiev this summer went to Arcadia at some point during the summer. Draw your conclusions.

I do agree that for a person who speaks Russian it is smart to go to least popular places. But also only a person who is part of Russian culture may understand the cultural significance of Odessa. Odessa is one of a kind, with its own folklore, humor and culture. So it is a city number one to visit for someone who speaks Russian and never been to Ukraine.

Brodiaga do you get what I mean with that? I guess it depends on your exposure to Russian culture.

^Yes, Vinny, I get what you mean 100%.

Here's a joke about two jews from Odessa, Abraham and Sarah.

-Abraham, I know you've been cheating on me, so I cheated on you too.
-Sarah, how could you do it? It's bad.
-Really? How come when you cheat it's good, but when I cheat it's bad.
-Because when I fuck somebody it means we fuck somebody, but when you get fucked it means we get fucked.

The Ukraine Thread III - Schlep - 08-14-2016

I'll be in Kiev, Sumy and Kharkiv in mid Sept to mid Oct. How is the weather there. I looked on Google and it said average temps in Sept. 68 degrees. Any suggestions

Edit: Vinny, what did you mean about the hot girls going to odessa. Draw your own conclusions?

I do agree that for a person who speaks Russian it is smart to go to least popular places. But also only a person who is part of Russian culture may understand the cultural significance of Odessa. Odessa is one of a kind, with its own folklore, humor and culture. So it is a city number one to visit for someone who speaks Russian and never been to Ukraine.

I am confused with that statement. For MOST ethnic Russians Odessa is regarded unfavorably and the people there are totally different. Their humor , style , etc is completely different than rest of Ukraine and Russia. The CLOWNS at the Moscow circus use to make fun how Odessans dress like clowns.

Most tourists to odessa are actually others from FSU, not English speakers. Most English speakers go to Kiev or Lviv. The diaspora who immigrated from Odessa are mostly Jewish who have no desire to EVER go back. I know this because most of them live in my area (Brooklyn).

Rich Russians go down to Odessa namely before the crisis because often they had business interests(MAFIA) and Odessa was considered a good place to own a second home and many of them do own apts in Odessa. But I assumed that that has changed a bit in the political climate.

Just look at real estate prices in Odessa. There are over 50k apts being sold last time I looked. In a city of 1 million that is crazy. If I bought an apt in a second tier city the value would have shot up much more than my Odessa apt (in Arcadia). Real estate tells a lot about popularity.

Compare that to the diaspora in Canada and early Ukrainians who settled in NYC who have ancestry from Western UA. They go to Lviv. That explains why Canada has a consulate there while Odessa only has consulates from 3rd world countries and other FSU countries.

Just my 2cents

^^^p.s- The Russian spoken in Odessa is actually often hard to understand from those from other Russian speakers as well. Crimea would be the ultimate RUA experience in UA or Kharkiv.

Quote: (08-14-2016 06:30 PM)Schlep Wrote:  

I'll be in Kiev, Sumy and Kharkiv in mid Sept to mid Oct. How is the weather there. I looked on Google and it said average temps in Sept. 68 degrees. Any suggestions

Edit: Vinny, what did you mean about the hot girls going to odessa. Draw your own conclusions?

All hot girls I met went to Odessa at some point. Which means if you go to Odessa you will get a chance to meet them. Same with girls from Lviv, Kharkiv and others. Competition will be higher, but the girls are there too.

@jimukr104: Sorry this matter is very hard to explain. Kind of like explaining to a blind person how a blue sky looks like. Brodiaga understood what I mean, that the best I could hope for.
However I would like to hear more about you buying real estate in Ukraine. I shall PM you.

The Ukraine Thread III - Rocha - 08-14-2016

Quote: (08-14-2016 05:29 PM)Going strong Wrote:  

Quote: (08-14-2016 05:10 PM)Brodiaga Wrote:  

Thanks Vinny.

Why not the Baltics? I know they are ruined by the stag hordes, etc, but a Russian speaker sets himself apart from the rest, sometimes that is good, low stag competition vs. Moscow or Kiev millionaires/oligarch sons.

Quote: (08-14-2016 06:58 PM)Rocha Wrote:  

Why not the Baltics? I know they are ruined by the stag hordes, etc, but a Russian speaker sets himself apart from the rest, sometimes that is good, low stag competition vs. Moscow or Kiev millionaires/oligarch sons.

Funny thing about Baltics is that Russian language is not always a plus.
Riga yes, Daugavpils yes, Narva, Klaipeda and may-be Vilnius.

But if you want to get any action in places like Kaunas or majority of small towns in Baltics it is better to be speaking strictly English.

@jimukr104: Sorry this matter is very hard to explain. Kind of like explaining to a blind person how a blue sky looks like. Brodiaga understood what I mean, that the best I could hope for.
However I would like to hear more about you buying real estate in Ukraine. I shall PM you.
[/quote]

Hmm..maybe but I speak Russian and have a home in Odessa. LOL ...I think that gives me quite an idea what is in Odessa. But whatever.

I Odessa probably the hardest place to pull for a Russain, unless one is a RICH Russain. A city of whores and pirates kind of does that lol

I sent you about the market R.E...I should make it public. Worst investment I ever made since I didn't sell in 2007. It never recovered. While I see other cities recovering and exceeding Odessa per SF price.

The Ukraine Thread III - Rocha - 08-14-2016

Quote: (08-14-2016 07:11 PM)Vinny Wrote:  

But if you want to get any action in places like Kaunas or majority of small towns in Baltics it is better to be speaking strictly English.

I had relative success in the Russkoe disco in Vilnius, Marushka, maked out with a Lithuanian chick that was a Russian groupie ))) I think russian is a plus anywhere, some places more than others, but in Vilnius definitely there is a niche.

But it is true that going for these kind of Baltic niches a russian speaker can feel like a fish out of water, nonetheless, niche game can bring better results than mainstream Odessa.

Quote: (08-14-2016 07:14 PM)jimukr104 Wrote:  

Hmm..maybe but I speak Russian and have a home in Odessa. LOL ...I think that gives me quite an idea what is in Odessa. But whatever.

I guess it lies in realms of Russian soul [Image: smile.gif]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_soul

@Rocha: Speaking a lot of languages is always a plus, but speaking Russian to some girls in some Baltic cities is a minus. The reason for this is russophobia. There is a complicated history of last few hundred years and I guess there are reasons for them to be angry at Russians.
If you are a western European speaking Russian this is cool. Make sure the girl knows that you are western European. Because being Russian in a city like Kaunas is BIG minus. Plus 90% of girls don't speak Russian anyway.
In Riga I could see Latvian speaking Latvian girls giving me IOIs and then actively losing interest when I open in Russian. So in old Riga (part where mostly Latvian speaking Latvians congregate) I prefer to game in English.

It looks like we are drifting away from a subject of Ukraine [Image: biggrin.gif]

The Ukraine Thread III - TripleG - 08-14-2016

Quote: (08-14-2016 07:25 PM)Rocha Wrote:  

Quote: (08-14-2016 07:11 PM)Vinny Wrote:  

I had relative success in the Russkoe disco in Vilnius, Marushka, maked out with a Lithuanian chick that was a Russian groupie ))) I think russian is a plus anywhere, some places more than others, but in Vilnius definitely there is a niche.

But it is true that going for these kind of Baltic niches a russian speaker can feel like a fish out of water, nonetheless, niche game can bring better results than mainstream Odessa.

I've been going to Vilnius my whole life as I am part Lithuanian. Russian is no longer an advantage and you speaking Russian will not open any new doors except for an occasional Belorussian girl who is visiting Vilnius for sightseeing and to be hit on by foreigners at places like Salento DiscoPub. Rocha, your one time observation should not give others false hope of hitting paydirt just because they speak Russian in the Baltics. The number of native Russians who live there is disappearing faster than the population of Syria (i know this may be a bad joke but had to try it), in Lithuania it is under 10%.
Also, just FYI most girls under the age of 25 do not speak good Russian, even in Vilnius. Also after English, German is the next language the young people are crazy about learning and that is due to economic migration.

The Ukraine Thread III - Going strong - 08-15-2016

Quote: (08-14-2016 07:14 PM)jimukr104 Wrote:  

However I would like to hear more about you buying real estate in Ukraine. I shall PM you.....................

I Odessa probably the hardest place to pull for a Russain, unless one is a RICH Russain. A city of whores and pirates kind of does that lol

I sent you about the market R.E...I should make it public. Worst investment I ever made since I didn't sell in 2007. It never recovered. While I see other cities recovering and exceeding Odessa per SF price.

But then, as I noticed when I was looking at the prices of apartment (when in Odessa), it means that for a new buyer, prices in Odessa are very interesting, at the moment. Safe, beautiful, big historic city with beaches and hot women, having good available apartments for less than 50.000 usd...

The Ukraine Thread III - Travesty - 08-15-2016

Light colored linen jacket, pocket square, beach tank underneath that mixes well.

The Ukraine Thread III - Vronski - 08-15-2016

Quote: (08-14-2016 06:58 PM)Vinny Wrote:  

However I would like to hear more about you buying real estate in Ukraine.

Don't really know about Odessa, but IMO it's quite difficult to find a "nice" apartment within the historic center for less than $1 000/square meter, and from what I heard, that can go up to $2 000+/square-meter for a prime location (Opera /Palais-Royal Garden, City Garden). To this price, in most cases you'll have to add the cost of the renovation ($400-500/square meter). Friend of mine (french) living locally bought two years ago a 55 square meters on Bunina (near Deribasovskaya) for about $ 50 000 (already renovated) - and he made a very good deal, he is curently struggling financially and think about selling, and already has offers around $ 80 000. Anyway $1 600/sq meter or even $2 000 in such a nice by-the-sea city is IMO still a steal.

About Kiev, here is an interesting article about the market:

https://dom.ria.com/ru/news/207219.html?...ssilka#50%

The most expensive area is Peshersk ($2 800+/square meter). It's asking prices (and it's an average between the less and the most expensive in each area), but IMO the difference between the asking price and how much less a seller will accept is not huge. Also the asking prices may vary greatly for the same kind of apartment on the same street - or even in the same building (low floor or high floor, bad views or good views, renovated or not,ect). The owner of my apartment in Podol (prime location on Andrevskyi Descent, renovated, gorgeous views, well-maintened renovated building) estimates its value to about $ 5 500/square meter, and IMO he's not far from the truth.

As a side note, I remember the era, not so long ago (2005) when an apartment in Chisinau was about $400 per square meter - now asking prices for prime new apartments are around $4 000 per square meter.

The Ukraine Thread III - Vronski - 08-15-2016

^^^^^

Aslo the real estate market in Odessa, Zapo, Dnipro, Kiev, ect is perking up, due to the large number of wealthy "refugees" who have fled the self-proclaimed "republics" of East Ukraine now ruled by thugs.