Roosh V Forum
The Russia Thread - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: The Russia Thread (/thread-35879.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

The Russia Thread - edlefou - 01-16-2019

Quote: (01-14-2019 02:13 PM)TripleG Wrote:  

I have this wish that in the near future I will do Trans-Siberian express and hit up 2nd tier (non-WC) cities to really experience the culture and will share my experience on this forum. The veteran Russia travelers here know that true Russia is not Moscow/St. Pete.

Agreed. I'm planning on doing the southwestern area probably including Crimea.

I'd like to do Trans-Siberian again. It's pretty fun, even in the late winter/early spring when I did it, but this time I'd do it in the warmer months.

The Russia Thread - Hazaer - 01-16-2019

How essential is Russian in the far east? Planning Irkutsk and Lake Baikal, Khabarovsk and Vladivostok for 2 to 3 weeks during the height of summer with a friend who speaks Russian but is not russian himself. How would the vibe in the cities be in these places? Culture would be the priority, dating second. Some comments on the cost of living will be helpful to adjust the travel time.

As an aside, is the water and air quality in Vladivostok still bad (compared to Western Europe for eg)? I have heard this a few years ago due to the poor sewage system there, not sure if it still exists.
Cheers

The Russia Thread - edlefou - 01-17-2019

Quote: (01-16-2019 02:00 PM)Hazaer Wrote:  

How essential is Russian in the far east? Planning Irkutsk and Lake Baikal, Khabarovsk and Vladivostok for 2 to 3 weeks during the height of summer with a friend who speaks Russian but is not russian himself. How would the vibe in the cities be in these places? Culture would be the priority, dating second. Some comments on the cost of living will be helpful to adjust the travel time.

As an aside, is the water and air quality in Vladivostok still bad (compared to Western Europe for eg)? I have heard this a few years ago due to the poor sewage system there, not sure if it still exists.
Cheers

It's been almost 4 years since I've been to Irkutsk/Baikal and a couple years since Vladivostok.

The vibe is Russian. I don't know how else to describe it. There's not much to do in the cities during the week, but in the summer there will be tons of outdoors stuff you can do. Both places you're going to have lots of outdoor activities, although it will be busy in the summer since there's only a couple months of warm weather in Siberia and everyone wants to take advantage.

I was interacting in non-native Russian, but not many people speak English. You'll be fine for restaurants and stores, especially if your friend is with you. If I asked girls about whether they spoke English they could say "My name is Katya" and that's about it.

I don't remember any water or air problems in Vladivostok. I'm pretty sure I was drinking the tap water since I was living in a highrise in Tigraya and it was uphill so I definitely wasn't carrying water bottles.

Vladivostok accommodations were similar to Moscow prices in September, which was busy season. I didn't expect that and I got stuck because I got a private room in a hostel for a couple days hoping to get a deal on an apartment longer term, but it was very hard to find a good place so it was a hassle and I didn't save any money. Non-living costs are very reasonable, although not as cheap as Ukraine.

The Russia Thread - SaintLaurentJake - 01-18-2019

I took the Trans-Siberian railway trip, Irkustk is really boring, would not recommend. Lake Baikal is cool, I'd stay like 2 days maximum in Irkutsk. Haven't been to Vladivostok so I cant comment but Tyumen, Novosibirsk are good places to game girls in Siberia. Tyumen is one of the fastest growing cities in Siberia as well. Further east you go, harder it is to establish good connections without at least beginner Russian.

The Russia Thread - Endless Escapes - 01-18-2019

Russia is not for me mainly for several reasons, e.g. they are unfriendly, the girls are greedy, the visa requirement, the corruption, the aggressive people (e.g. occupying parts of Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine, etc)

The Russia Thread - Brodiaga - 01-18-2019

Quote: (01-18-2019 10:10 PM)Endless Escapes Wrote:  

Russia is not for me mainly for several reasons, e.g. they are unfriendly, the girls are greedy, the visa requirement, the corruption, the aggressive people (e.g. occupying parts of Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine, etc)

That's awesome, keep it that way. For example, Moscow is cheaper than Bangkok and at the same time nicer, cleaner and safer than most cities in the world. If everybody starts going there, It'll become just another overpriced tourist trap.

The Russia Thread - Polero - 01-19-2019

Moscow cheaper than Bangkok? Did I read that right? prices are facts, "nicer" is an opinion. I, for example, don't enjoy -20 celsius.

The Russia Thread - Brodiaga - 01-19-2019

Quote: (01-19-2019 04:24 AM)Polero Wrote:  

Moscow cheaper than Bangkok? Did I read that right? prices are facts, "nicer" is an opinion. I, for example, don't enjoy -20 celsius.

According to Numbeo, the cost of living index is 43 in Moscow and 55 in Bangkok (New York is 100 as a baseline).
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co...rrency=USD

Agreed about the climate. If the weather was nice all year round, I would move to Moscow in a heartbeat and never leave except for traveling.

The Russia Thread - Gopnik - 01-19-2019

What does this have to do with anything?

The US has a history of occupying and invading dozens of countries and interfering with domestic policies all over the world...and yet I find Americans to be some of the friendliest people I regularly meet.

The same is true for Russians - they are surprisingly outgoing and warm people.

Even those who visit the country without any langauge skills are often surprised by this.

I do agree that living in Russia is not for everyone though.

The Russia Thread - Hazaer - 01-19-2019

Quote: (01-17-2019 06:09 AM)edlefou Wrote:  

Cheers

It's been almost 4 years since I've been to Irkutsk/Baikal and a couple years since Vladivostok.

The vibe is Russian. I don't know how else to describe it. There's not much to do in the cities during the week, but in the summer there will be tons of outdoors stuff you can do. Both places you're going to have lots of outdoor activities, although it will be busy in the summer since there's only a couple months of warm weather in Siberia and everyone wants to take advantage.

I was interacting in non-native Russian, but not many people speak English. You'll be fine for restaurants and stores, especially if your friend is with you. If I asked girls about whether they spoke English they could say "My name is Katya" and that's about it.

I don't remember any water or air problems in Vladivostok. I'm pretty sure I was drinking the tap water since I was living in a highrise in Tigraya and it was uphill so I definitely wasn't carrying water bottles.

Vladivostok accommodations were similar to Moscow prices in September, which was busy season. I didn't expect that and I got stuck because I got a private room in a hostel for a couple days hoping to get a deal on an apartment longer term, but it was very hard to find a good place so it was a hassle and I didn't save any money. Non-living costs are very reasonable, although not as cheap as Ukraine.

It now looks like dating the locals are out of the question in the far east without russian. Would there be any cities in the east being an exception?

Since some friends and I are continuing to travel to China from there, the far east was the only option to reduce the distance.

How is the weather during mid june? We are deciding between June and July. Also, how would the touristy vibe be in the hostels, more internationals or would it be more chinese tourists as usual? It seems you pay the same for slightly worse facilities in hostels in russia compared with the UK for eg.

The Russia Thread - JWLZG - 01-19-2019

Quote: (01-19-2019 01:00 PM)Hazaer Wrote:  

It now looks like dating the locals are out of the question in the far east without russian. Would there be any cities in the east being an exception?

Since some friends and I are continuing to travel to China from there, the far east was the only option to reduce the distance.

How is the weather during mid june? We are deciding between June and July. Also, how would the touristy vibe be in the hostels, more internationals or would it be more chinese tourists as usual? It seems you pay the same for slightly worse facilities in hostels in russia compared with the UK for eg.

Your friends are European, but speak Chinese, is that right? That would matter a fair bit

The Russia Thread - JimBobsCooters - 01-19-2019

This genuinely sounds like someone who has basically watched movies and TV shows and listened to CNN about Russia.

Russians are actually some of the friendliest people I've met, especially if you make any effort to speak their language, but either way they'll go out of their way to help foreigners. They're loud and confronting but genuinely nice.

Sure they have some gold diggers but most of the girls actually just want a happy family and don't even care if they're poor, obviously they'd prefer not to be but I find most Russians are less greedy and materialistic than the average Anglo girl. Especially outside Moscow.

The visa is a pain but if that's going to stop you then maybe travel isn't for you, I can tell you that getting a Russian visa is much, much easier than getting US or Australian visas, among others, are for those who need them on the flipside.

Quote: (01-19-2019 01:00 PM)Hazaer Wrote:  

[quote] (01-17-2019 06:09 AM)edlefou Wrote:  

(01-16-2019, 07:00 PM)Hazaer Wrote:  snip

June and July not a huge difference, better in July but still Russia so not good. Depends where you are greatly, Peter in June is still pretty awful weather (the white nights are super cool though) while the more southern cities are genuinely decent weather by then (ones I've been to at least).

June and July would have the most international tourists I'd expect, not sure on the hostels but Chinese aren't really into the hostel scene so would think it would be more of the others filling those.

Dating is never out of the question it's just a hell of a lot more difficult without Russian.

The Russia Thread - Bikal - 01-19-2019

Irktutsk and Lake Baikal in general requires Russian, you won't get far without it unless you bump into a an overseas educated Russian there when they've returned home (there are a couple, I know one who has just relocated with her husband).

I don't know how to describe the vibe, it's quite hard although in summer it's more relaxed and fun, more of a party atmosphere as right now it's unbearable (relatively speaking). Cost is generally cheap but accommodation is not cheap during Summer, it's not London prices but it's not cheap.

Edit: You'll definitely find more to do outdoors than indoors, there isn't a lot going on unless you're outdoors then nature takes over but there will be a few parties and a generally relaxed vibe until winter comes and crushes everything.

The Russia Thread - SaintLaurentJake - 01-19-2019

We must have different experiences then. Russians are cold upfront initially because smiling and appearing "friendly" to strangers on the street is seen as a sign that you are naive and a sign of idiocy. Once you start talking though and develop a connection through good first impression, they are some of the most friendly people I have met. During my trip, I had been invited for dinner and drinks in every city I met, despite the fact that they probably know I am more well off as an American.

The Russia Thread - Pointer - 01-19-2019

This is a common criticism from people who never lived in EE. The thing is most people don't smile or say ''thank you'' for no reason but that doesn't mean they are not friendly. They don't like to put on a bullshit poker face. In fact, most EE is way friendlier than North America where you don't even know your neighbors. The only country where I've experienced anti-social behavior was the Czech Republic.

The Russia Thread - AkiKinnunen - 01-20-2019

Quote: (01-18-2019 10:20 PM)Brodiaga Wrote:  

If everybody starts going there, It'll become just another overpriced tourist trap.

I agree. When Roosh posted "the easiest bar to get laid" in Helsinki, every thirsty male touri in the country started to go there. And yes, soon it became "the hardest bar to get laid" in Finland. Of course.

So, I would say, it's fucking cold in Russia. And not a cheap country btw. Facts. [Image: angel.gif]

The Russia Thread - Giacomo Casanova - 01-20-2019

Quote: (01-19-2019 07:35 PM)Pointer Wrote:  

In fact, most EE is way friendlier than North America where you don't even know your neighbors.

Not true.

The Russia Thread - Ceasar - 01-22-2019

Quote: (01-20-2019 04:36 PM)Giacomo Casanova Wrote:  

Quote: (01-19-2019 07:35 PM)Pointer Wrote:  

In fact, most EE is way friendlier than North America where you don't even know your neighbors.

Not true.

I remember the culture shock of when I went to spend time in the midwest after Russia. Nearly every uber driver wanted to have a full conversation. The bus driver said good night to everyone as they exited. I forgot my fare, and he just told me to pay double next time. Waitresses would smile at you and make small talk. Service was actually good. Can't fathom this stuff in Russia.

The Russia Thread - Julius.von.Liechtenstein - 01-26-2019

Hello,

I would like to share my unbelievable experience with Tinder in Russia.
I am living in Switzerland but my parents are from Russia. I am under 30 but already quite successfull in Banking and I make a lot of money.
So I had Tinder in Germany and Switzerland and nearly did not get any matches, although women told me that I look above average (beard, 1,82 cm, etc).
Now I tried Tinder and set Moscow as location. My description says (i can speak Russian) that I am Russian but I live in Switzerland. And I have to admit that you see on the pics that I am wealthy as I am wearing for example a Canada Goose jacket, etc.

And what happened?

I got about 170 matches after one day!!! And most of them look like models! Even some of them come from wealthy families or are well educated.

I never thought the difference between Western Europe and Russia would be so insane.

I will never date a Western girl anymore.

The Russia Thread - hellogoodbye - 01-26-2019

^Yup, russian women are materialistic.. also idk about the visa talk and that being a reason not to visit, the visa is just a formality and its still a thing only to milk visitors for like 50$ or something

The Russia Thread - Bikal - 01-26-2019

Quote: (01-26-2019 07:46 AM)Julius.von.Liechtenstein Wrote:  

I am wealthy as I am wearing for example a Canada Goose jacket, etc.
What trash.

The Russia Thread - Julius.von.Liechtenstein - 01-26-2019

It is quite warm actually. Especially for Switzerland.
And I meant that people assume wealth by seeing theses jackets

The Russia Thread - AkiKinnunen - 01-27-2019

Because they are not interested in your money? If you know that the Moscow girls are only interested in your money, then there is a good reason NOT to date such types right there.
Not all girls in Russia are golddiggers thou.

And there is a lot of fakery/traps going on in Moscow and St. Pt.. Everybody knows it. Once a fellow put a profile without pic and without too much text but - for his surprise - also got these "well educated models" matched.

The Russia Thread - Nordwand - 01-27-2019

Hello,

I would like to share my unbelievable experience with Tinder in Russia.
I am living in Switzerland but my parents are from Russia. I am under 30 but already quite successfull in Banking and I make a lot of money.
So I had Tinder in Germany and Switzerland and nearly did not get any matches, although women told me that I look above average (beard, 1,82 cm, etc).
Now I tried Tinder and set Moscow as location. My description says (i can speak Russian) that I am Russian but I live in Switzerland. And I have to admit that you see on the pics that I am wealthy as I am wearing for example a Canada Goose jacket, etc.

And what happened?

I got about 170 matches after one day!!! And most of them look like models! Even some of them come from wealthy families or are well educated.

I never thought the difference between Western Europe and Russia would be so insane.

Prepare to say goodbye to your ego/money/self respect. I don't know if you've ever heard the term "Taken to the cleaners", but you'll learn the meaning of it if you're not careful.

The Russia Thread - Fortis - 01-27-2019

Is Moscow really cheaper than Bangkok? I wanted to hit up Bangkok but if Moscow is cheaper......hmmm