Roosh V Forum
The Colombia Master Thread - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: The Colombia Master Thread (/thread-54358.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

The Colombia Master Thread - Shimmy - 09-11-2016

Quote: (09-08-2016 01:39 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

Thats what Linux said. I'll be arriving on a Tue afternoon so I'll be there. Looking to bang cute Colombianas during the week, party on the weekend, and maybe spend a day seeing things worth seeing.

Girls tend to be very flakey during the week unless you build tons of rapport but on Friday and Saturday they all want to go out (because it's not very safe for them to go out alone and they want you to pay). The best strategy that I've used is just set up dates with 3 girls on each night and if one of them follows up to confirm she probably wont flake and flake on the other 2.

The Colombia Master Thread - BrewDog - 09-11-2016

Quote: (09-11-2016 08:28 AM)Cogon Wrote:  

Anyone know if Colombia enforces onward ticket?

If so, do american carriers have 24 hour no charge period so you can cancel with no charges?
I've always had a return ticket to the the USA to show upon entry just in case. But they never wanted to see it. I've tried to show the immigration inspector and they just wave it away and don't look.

You're supposed to have proof of return by law, but I've seen this asked so many times in so many Colombia forums, and the answer from every gringo and other foreigner is that they've never been asked to show a return ticket upon entering Colombia.

As far as the Canadian entry fee, this sounds like some sort of reciprocity. Does Canada charge an entry fee for Colombians? Or is it just because Scotian has been in so much trouble in Colombia that they charge all Canadians a tax to pay for every night he's been in a Colombian jail?

The Colombia Master Thread - scotian - 09-11-2016

Ya its reciprocal, the Canadian government makes Colombians jump through a ton of hoops to get into our country.

Quote: (09-11-2016 08:15 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Ya its reciprocal, the Canadian government makes Colombians jump through a ton of hoops to get into our country.
I guess the Colombians just like Gringos more than Canucks. We require that the Colombians apply for a visa to enter as a mere visitor which costs $160 US. But when I go to Colombia, they just wave me through and tell me to have a good time.

I think it may be because Canadians are such nere-do-wells, and the Colombians hate you (I'm lying).

Or perhaps it has more to do with the US government giving $400 million last year to Colombia. Have you ever noticed that the Colombian army's ammo pouches say "US" while flying around in their UH-1 Hueys carrying M-16's and wearing woodland camo uniforms that makes them look just like US troops?

But it's fucked that I get into Colombia for free without any searches, and the Colombians have to apply for a visa, pay $160, and sit in customs secondary and get searched to enter the US. And I'm not saying I want to also pay $160 to get into Colombia. I'm saying that they don't charge us or require a visa, so why don't we do the same for them? They've been our friends for decades, and we should treat them the same.

I love Colombia, but they need to grow some balls and get a little more Ecuadoran attitude about that shit and tell the US gov't to go screw. But hey, $400 million is $400 million.

Quote: (09-11-2016 08:42 PM)BrewDog Wrote:  

I guess the Colombians just like Gringos more than Canucks. We require that the Colombians apply for a visa to enter as a mere visitor which costs $160 US. But when I go to Colombia, they just wave me through and tell me to have a good time.

I think it may be because Canadians are such nere-do-wells, and the Colombians hate you (I'm lying).

Or perhaps it has more to do with the US government giving $400 million last year to Colombia. Have you ever noticed that the Colombian army's ammo pouches say "US" while flying around in their UH-1 Hueys carrying M-16's and wearing woodland camo uniforms that makes them look just like US troops?

But it's fucked that I get into Colombia for free without any searches, and the Colombians have to apply for a visa, pay $160, and sit in customs secondary and get searched to enter the US. And I'm not saying I want to also pay $160 to get into Colombia. I'm saying that they don't charge us or require a visa, so why don't we do the same for them? They've been our friends for decades, and we should treat them the same.

I love Colombia, but they need to grow some balls and get a little more Ecuadoran attitude about that shit and tell the US gov't to go screw. But hey, $400 million is $400 million.

Canada obviously has far less influence around the world and especially in Latin America although some inroads are being made (banking, mining, oil and gas, etc). We signed a free trade agreement with Colombia but I don't know what the hell that means, probably not much, there has also been a big increase in Colombian immigration which is welcome by most Canucks. Canada has super tight regulations when it comes to visitors and visas because we are a huge country and its too easy for a visa over-stayer to just disappear in say Toronto or Montreal. We just don't have the resources like the US does to track down illegals so we just make it really difficult to get in.

The Colombia Master Thread - Cogon - 09-11-2016

Isnt it the same for USA and UK?

The Colombia Master Thread - Cogon - 09-11-2016

Anyone know how refunds work? If I book a flight to US and refund it within the 24 hour cancellation period, do I end up with less money or do they deposit the same amount that was charged? When I got my 'full refund' from EVA air, the amount that got returned was less than what was charged!

And how about holds? If I use the hold payment option for AA which does not charge for 24 hours, does the flight reservation present itself as a viable onward ticket? and will be a confirmed flight that won't be rejected when I board my flight to Colombia?

I think I almost finalized my official plan. I found out 1 way tickets cost so darn cheap so I will get one to Colombia or Peru in November before holiday prices kick in. My new estimated date of arrival to latam will be Nov 21. I will try out Peru first since it is cheap but think I will go overland to Colombia not too long after. I have a feeling Colombia is better than Peru. I used to think Peru was much better. They said white god factor was much more important and it was more "Philippines like" But maybe Colombia is less conservative so I will try both within the first few months and see which one fits me better and I choose to stay in most. Both have the weather I like. Ecuador too. I will try to brave the terrible situation in Venezuela and meet the women there that are MUCH more anxious to meet foreigners than even in the Philippines!

Quote: (09-11-2016 08:52 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Canada has super tight regulations when it comes to visitors and visas because we are a huge country and its too easy for a visa over-stayer to just disappear in say Toronto or Montreal. We just don't have the resources like the US does to track down illegals so we just make it really difficult to get in.
I know what you mean. America is a small nation with super tight border security. It's not as if one can just swim a river or jump a low fence to get in.

We have that shit locked down tight. We have satellites and shit just combing the border. No one gets in!

Unless you're Saudi and wanna take flight lessons.

Quote: (09-11-2016 09:01 PM)BrewDog Wrote:  

Quote: (09-11-2016 08:52 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Canada has super tight regulations when it comes to visitors and visas because we are a huge country and its too easy for a visa over-stayer to just disappear in say Toronto or Montreal. We just don't have the resources like the US does to track down illegals so we just make it really difficult to get in.
I know what you mean. America is a small nation with super tight border security. It's not as if one can just swim a river or jump a low fence to get in.

We have that shit locked down tight. We have satellites and shit just combing the border. No one gets in!

Unless you're Saudi and wanna take flight lessons.

At least you guys actually deport people though, like that bilingual bum in Bogota who pulled a shank on me in Sante Fe with Linux. I've met Colombians who've been deported for talking about drugs on the phone, in Canada, a foreigner can cut a guy's head off on a Greyhound bus and eat parts of his body then be back out on the streets in eight years (link)

Quote: (09-11-2016 09:06 PM)scotian

At least you guys actually deport people though, like that bilingual bum in Bogota who pulled a shank on me in Sante Fe with Linux. I've met Colombians who've been deported for talking about drugs on the phone, in Canada, a foreigner can cut a guy's head off on a Greyhound bus and eat parts of his body then be back out on the streets in eight years ( 

link[/url])
Yeah, the US feds will definitely come track you down like a wolfpack and maul you before putting your ass on a plane back to your hellhole. If you're an alien criminal, they will break your door and pull you out of the house by your hair.

And I want that from my government agents. I don't want them to do that to me or any other US citizen, but if they do that to some asshole robber shithead from South of the river, then get to it.

I WANT my protectors to be assholes. Nice guys don't belong in the business of protecting your nation from criminals and terrorists. We need good assholes to protect us from the bad assholes.

I've actually used that line overseas when faced with some dumb Milennial chick saying, "You're an asshole!" I say, "But I'm a good asshole. And you want good assholes on your side."

Quote: (09-11-2016 09:06 PM)scotian Wrote:  

like that bilingual bum in Bogota who pulled a shank on me in Sante Fe with Linux.
When did this happen? Recently? I don't remember this story when we had beers.

Fucking Bogota man. I'm sorry to hear that. I got mine in Bogota, too. I fucking hate that city for making me doubt my love for Colombia.

The Colombia Master Thread - Innuendo - 09-12-2016

Quote: (09-11-2016 09:06 PM)scotian Wrote:  

I've met Colombians who've been deported for talking about drugs on the phone

Don't want to derail the thread too much but just because they say that doesn't necessarily make it true. Not saying it's completely impossible, just that most of the deported colombians I've met had some kind of sob story like this.

The Colombia Master Thread - Cogon - 09-12-2016

Quote: (09-11-2016 11:29 AM)Sidney Crosby Wrote:  

If so, do american carriers have 24 hour no charge period so you can cancel with no charges?

I've flown into Colombia twice with no onward tickets and was never asked a single thing, It probably depends on your nationality, I don't know.

If you're worried about it use that link that shimmy said and spend a couple bucks.

Ok thank you. So looks like american airlines should be fine then I would think. Overall if you are not asked anything then that means the airline does not have any policy in place like Philippines where it is routine to require this proof right when you check in. So I will proceed with my american airlines flight to Colombia or Peru.

The Colombia Master Thread - natas305 - 09-12-2016

Quote: (09-12-2016 05:33 PM)Cogon Wrote:  

I've flown into Colombia twice with no onward tickets and was never asked a single thing, It probably depends on your nationality, I don't know.

If you're worried about it use that link that shimmy said and spend a couple bucks.

Ok thank you. So looks like american airlines should be fine then I would think. Overall if you are not asked anything then that means the airline does not have any policy in place like Philippines where it is routine to require this proof right when you check in. So I will proceed with my american airlines flight to Colombia or Peru.

I think you're might be missing an important part of these onward ticket questions/requirements. They're stupid as hell, but this is something that the airlines are responsible for asking for as they get threatened with fines otherwise if people get rejected at customs for not having proof of onward travel. So with almost everything in life, your milage will vary and one checkin agent may ask for it, one may not. If you're supposed to have it for entry to a country, you should have it, otherwise you're risking it. Some agents probably don't even know the real requirements themselves, so they probably ask for it when they don't even need it. The customs agent could also press you about when you're leaving, if he really wanted to.

Just book a refundable flight and cancel it right after (you will get all your money back within a short amount of time) or use one of those services that you pay like $5 to do this for you. You pretty much just need to be able to flash them an email or confirmation number/flight dates for the outward trip. One tip would be to book the outward flight on another carrier than the one you're flying on, so they don't start searching in their system for the reservation when you show it to them.

Enjoy Colombia once you get there.

The Colombia Master Thread - Cogon - 09-13-2016

Quote: (09-12-2016 09:55 PM)natas305 Wrote:  

Quote: (09-12-2016 05:33 PM)Cogon Wrote:  

I think you're might be missing an important part of these onward ticket questions/requirements. They're stupid as hell, but this is something that the airlines are responsible for asking for as they get threatened with fines otherwise if people get rejected at customs for not having proof of onward travel. So with almost everything in life, your milage will vary and one checkin agent may ask for it, one may not. If you're supposed to have it for entry to a country, you should have it, otherwise you're risking it. Some agents probably don't even know the real requirements themselves, so they probably ask for it when they don't even need it. The customs agent could also press you about when you're leaving, if he really wanted to.

Just book a refundable flight and cancel it right after (you will get all your money back within a short amount of time) or use one of those services that you pay like $5 to do this for you. You pretty much just need to be able to flash them an email or confirmation number/flight dates for the outward trip. One tip would be to book the outward flight on another carrier than the one you're flying on, so they don't start searching in their system for the reservation when you show it to them.

Enjoy Colombia once you get there.

Thanks I am probably just going to take advantage of the 24 thing. Since I wanna book it as close to departure as possible I will probably show up, but also early, with no onward ticket, if hassled at check in, simple book one of those that can get canceled within 24 hours, present the ticket that is already booked, then go on my way. If nothing happens at all, I can get to S am without needing to do it. If it happens, I cancel once I am done landed and out. I actually decided I am doing Peru now then Colombia next. Lima has great wifi, I used it before. It is easier if, like EVA air, the cancellation can be done online. Quick no hassle.

I think I will do an even split of my time between Peru, Colombia and Venezuela, unless the last one turns out to be a disaster for living standards. But I will still need a visa. Only Americans need it. I will make sure I use the border crossing from Colombia. Although it kind of looks like the worlds most dangerous place outside of Iraq, Syria, Afganastan and Jolo, Philippines.

Anyone know if Venezuela is easy to get visa for Americans?

The Colombia Master Thread - BrewDog - 09-13-2016

Quote: (09-13-2016 06:59 AM)Cogon Wrote:  

Bro, good luck with that place. I hung out with an Aussie in Colombia that had just spent 6 months in Venezuela, and man, the stories he had. He said it was the most fucked up place he's ever been, by far.

I asked him what he did in the nights. He said, "You don't go out after dark. EVER. If a gringo walks out of the hotel at night just right outside the doorway, they'll get your gringo ass." So he stayed in his hotel every night. And this was just 6 months ago. It's far more desperate there now.

He said he got good at hiding money. It's illegal to posses foreign currency in Venezuela, so he would hide his dollars in his butt. The police would stop and search him in order to seize (steal) any illegal cash, so he had to go to a black market cash changer to exchange money. And he said he never knew if the mob cash changer was going to rob him or change his money.

His stories went on and on, and all of us in the group were like holy shit.

But he said beers are 6 cents apiece, so there's that. If you go, good luck to you.

The Colombia Master Thread - asdfk - 09-13-2016

I saw it mentioned a couple of times that if you don't know Spanish, Colombia can be dangerous. Can someone elaborate why this particular lack of a skill is problematic?

Quote: (09-13-2016 05:47 PM)asdfk Wrote:  

I saw it mentioned a couple of times that if you don't know Spanish, Colombia can be dangerous. Can someone elaborate why this particular lack of a skill is problematic?
It's not so much the lack of Spanish. I speak Spanish fairly well. It's the being white and American that attracts their attention.

The Colombia Master Thread - Road_Less_Taken - 09-13-2016

Quote: (09-13-2016 05:47 PM)asdfk Wrote:  

Colombia is a dangerous place. I cannot tell you the number of times Spanish has helped me get out of what is a potentially dangerous situation. Perhaps you have a taxi driver who you feel as though is going in the wrong direction or you are lost and need some advice. Instead of wandering around aimlessly, or just "going with the flow" where a few wrong turns can lead into serious problems you are proactive to manage the situation. Also getting to know locals and seeing what advice they have. Getting a cultural understanding of the do's and dont's, you cant walk around thinking your in Norway.

I wouldn't recommend anyone go to Colombia on their own without Spanish. Or you'd seriously have to think about the consequences. I'd rather not end up in the hospital or worse a body bag. Maybe I'm preoccupied but everyone I know who lives there has had something bad happen to them at one time or another. Being white doesn't help.

I like Colombia but I would learn Spanish elsewhere then go when my Spanish is at least conversational. At the same time your taking a risk whether you speak Spanish or not, I'm fluent and the biggest thing I dislike about Colombia is the safety issue. If your there long enough something will happen to you.

Quote: (09-13-2016 03:16 PM)BrewDog Wrote:  

Quote: (09-13-2016 06:59 AM)Cogon Wrote:  

Bro, good luck with that place. I hung out with an Aussie in Colombia that had just spent 6 months in Venezuela, and man, the stories he had. He said it was the most fucked up place he's ever been, by far.

I asked him what he did in the nights. He said, "You don't go out after dark. EVER. If a gringo walks out of the hotel at night just right outside the doorway, they'll get your gringo ass." So he stayed in his hotel every night. And this was just 6 months ago. It's far more desperate there now.

He said he got good at hiding money. It's illegal to posses foreign currency in Venezuela, so he would hide his dollars in his butt. The police would stop and search him in order to seize (steal) any illegal cash, so he had to go to a black market cash changer to exchange money. And he said he never knew if the mob cash changer was going to rob him or change his money.

His stories went on and on, and all of us in the group were like holy shit.

But he said beers are 6 cents apiece, so there's that. If you go, good luck to you.

Venezuela may just be the place for me. For someone who is such a habitual day person that does not even go out after dark in Davao, Venezuela could be my thing. Part of it being that I prioritize places that most gringos miss/skip. Women could be the one thing that will be great. In a place of this description, I won't be expected to be into nightlife then since this I dont like anyways. I always like having women come right to my place. The situation of Venezuela might make this be the case quite often. It is the way things work in Colombia but might be more so in Venezuela where foreigners can't roam the streets much. All I am doing in Manila is my work on my computer and getting women into my room. Since the room will be the safe haven in Venezuela, this could work quite well amid the total dangers lurking outside.

Anyways, looks like a 4 ways split between Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. With an occasional break towards the north with Panama, DR etc. I wont be affected by the 6 month limit, unlike had it been like that in Philippines, because I will be too busy with the whole set of 4 countries anyways and changing countries often will be more the norm than when I lived in the Philippines. I can start getting used to not paying for visas anymore now that I am leaving the Philippines and doing Colombia. Thats a nice change!

Thank god they dont have some stupid community like East Africa. If you stay in Tanzania, your allowance of time for Kenya and Uganda starts ticking away! How lame is that?? If time in Colombia made your time in Peru tick away, it would seem outrageously stupid right? Well that is how they do it in east Africa with their countries! A northern S america community would be a disaster for travelers. It already sucks for travelers in their "east Africa community". Caricom is good because time in Guyana does not tick away in Jamaica. Lets hope they never make a community like Europe or E Africa in N south america.

Quote: (09-13-2016 06:10 PM)Cogon Wrote:  

Venezuela may just be the place for me.
Well, tell us about the place for sure. If you live through it, you can then go to Tehran or Mogadishu or Pyongyang and tell us about those tourist hotspots.

Joking aside, I wish you have a happy trip with no troubles.

Quote: (09-13-2016 06:06 PM)Road_Less_Taken Wrote:  

Colombia is a dangerous place. I cannot tell you the number of times Spanish has helped me get out of what is a potentially dangerous situation. Perhaps you have a taxi driver who you feel as though is going in the wrong direction or you are lost and need some advice. Instead of wandering around aimlessly, or just "going with the flow" where a few wrong turns can lead into serious problems you are proactive to manage the situation.

Yep. Me.

thread-52673...pid1333522

The Colombia Master Thread - asdfk - 09-13-2016

I met some venezuelans who warned me to not get there. Food is on rantsion and apparently shit is hitting the fan politically. Toilet paper is on rantsion as well. Enjoy using your leftie to wipe.

Quote: (09-13-2016 07:02 PM)asdfk Wrote:  

I met some venezuelans who warned me to not get there.
There you have it.

I've learned overseas that if a local is concerned for your safety, fucking listen.

I went to Bello, Medellin one day with a Colombian girl. I had been told by many gringo expats not to get caught out after dark in Bello being a whitey. But I needed cigs, and I told the girl I was gonna go get smokes. She was like, "No! I'll get them for you!"

I said, "It's just across the fucking street like 15 feet away. I'll be fine"

And she said, "No, you won't! You can't go out after night here. They will kill you and take all your pesos."

So she went to the store for me while I waited in the apartment. And I guess she knew what the hell she was talking about. It was her neighborhood afterall.

If the locals are concerned about your safety, listen to them. The good people will help you. Just hang with them and take their guidance. They know their neighborhood, and we don't.

Take their advice.

Quote: (09-13-2016 06:48 PM)BrewDog Wrote:  

Quote: (09-13-2016 06:10 PM)Cogon Wrote:  

Venezuela may just be the place for me.
Well, tell us about the place for sure. If you live through it, you can then go to Tehran or Mogadishu or Pyongyang and tell us about those tourist hotspots.

Joking aside, I wish you have a happy trip with no troubles.

Lol pyongyang is actually a lot safer than anywhere in N south america. They require surveillance of foreigners, but in return, the place is extremely safe. It is like Davao, higher security but is just so secure and safe.

But yes, Looks like border with Colombia will be dangerous. Since I will be doing Venezuela-Colombia I will be doing the border with Cututa. But it looks like the border with Cucuta should have enough security. San Cristobal Venezuela to Cutucuta Colombia is where I will always cross.

When I get to S america, will I stop finding girls asking: "can you bring me chocolate? its my favorite!" blah blah I hear that too many times in the Philippines Everyone says that!
Breathing air on Earth is my favorite! *sarcasm*

Venezuela has every ingredient needed to make a pussy paradise:
Devoid of annoying backpackers!
Overall dearth of foreiners
It is poor so bitch sheild is absent like most similar countries.
Lots of people there.
Does not look like it is among the most conservative countries like Bolivia/Peru/Vietnam.