Roosh V Forum
Chicago - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Chicago (/thread-4914.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Chicago - doc holliday - 12-09-2017

Quote: (12-09-2017 01:09 PM)Don_Rich Wrote:  

Hey dudes,

Finally going to pull the trigger on moving to Chicago. Based on my research, it looks like LP/Wicker Park/West Loop/River North might be cool places to live in. Here's some pros and cons I have outlined for myself:

River North
Pros: Great logistics, strong concentration of night life, close to high traffic day game areas (near MM)
Con: A bit pricier and noisier, seems a little mainstream and stale

Wicker Park
Pros: Good night life (mostly bars), hipster/artsy vibe, which can be cool since I'm a musician
Cons: Further out from other main parts of the city and since its hipster-ville it probably leans far left

West Loop
Pros: Good logistically when it comes to restaurants/groceries (at least the location I am looking at is)
Cons: Not a lot of nightlife, feels like it will be a little dead after work hours

I couldn't really generalize Lincoln Park since I got mixed reviews. I'm leaning more towards West Loop, because I found a cool apartment and it looks like I'll be able to reach River North and Wicker Park easily. I feel like these are the places I'll visit the most. I like both night game and day game, but like to stay diversified when it comes to bitches (dating apps/social circle), so having these game venues close by are not of central importance to me, but will play a part in my final decision. My budget is pretty flexible.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is Wicker Park obnoxiously left leaning that it affects the talent? This is normally the case with these "hip" enclaves, but wondering to what extent this is the case with Wicker Park.

Wicker Park is pretty left. Typical hipster area with cool bars and restaurants with overpriced housing. If you like up and coming hipster style neighborhoods with more reasonable housing prices then Logan Square is a good choice. I do like your thoughts on doing the West Loop. Not quite as expensive as RN but still pretty well located, close to a lot of other areas with a good number of bars and restaurants in the area itself. Close to downtown too if you're working in the Loop. I would do that West Loop apt to be honest. That's an area I'm considering moving to in a couple years when I move down from the 'burbs.

Chicago - Kid Twist - 12-09-2017

Quote: (11-11-2017 10:06 PM)americanpituco Wrote:  

Quote: (11-11-2017 06:47 PM)Don_Rich Wrote:  

Seriously considering moving to Chicago in Dec or Jan. The only thing holding me back is the vicious winters that I always hear about. Can anyone tell me about these winters and their effect on social and night life? Do people still go out during the winter or does the city turn into a ghost town?

For those that lived in Chicago this last year, would you say its still a good bargain with respect to cost of living and what the city offers (culture and women)?

Right now, I am stuck between Austin and Chicago.

I know the city fairly well, have spent quite a bit of time there. Although I'm more familiar with LA & Las Vegas, also consider them far superior cities.

Nothing slows down in winter, if anything, people go out more it seems. If you challenge the bitter cold weather, then you're considered a pansy. Have fun waiting in line when it's -20 to get into a River North club.

For starters, Chicago is middle America, and all the idiocy that comes with that. Civic fanaticism, best food fanaticism, sports fanaticism, just nonstop fanaticism. look down on everywhere besides NY for some reason. They're so fanatical about "the city" they even look down on the suburbs. lol.

Oftentimes, people mistaken the culture of a city vs "culture", all big cities in the US have impressive museums, historical monuments, which fall under the umbrella of culture. Chicago has a lot of that, but the actual culture of the city is annoying.

The city itself has no edge to it, very plain or something & food obsessed to the point Freud would be impressed. Obviously lots of attractive women given the sheer population size, but they do marry younger there, if you're a single guy above 30 you might be seen as strange or closet gay, but that is how the midwest is.

I'll be dispassionate about this, would like to know what you mean by:

1. Middle America and "all the idiocy that comes with it"
2. Fanaticism (you explained this pretty well)
3. What do, let's say your favorite LA and Vegas, have in culture that is superior, or what do you count or not count as that
4. What edge are you looking for?

Just wondering.

Chicago - Heart Break Kid - 12-09-2017

I went by Humboltd Park and it isn't that bad of a place to try to pick up chicks. It's not really dangerous anymore, not sure if I would live there as the best bars and stuff are in other western neighborhoods.

Chicago - jordypip23 - 12-09-2017

Quote: (10-10-2016 06:22 AM)Travel Museums Wrote:  

I found wicker park to be a younger college-ish crowd. River north an older young professional crowd. Both are great because you can just tell girls "let's hangout in wicker park". I never once had a girl ask what we'd do there. When I lived downtown for two weeks almost every girl asked what we'd do there at night bc it's a ghost town.

Funny how the Loop is dead when hopping River North is literally 5 minutes north of it tops lol. I used to live in the Chicago area (I was born in Chicago). Long story, but I live near Detroit now. I'd love to roll out to Chi city once it gets warmer again in 2018 and tear it up with some of you fellas.

Chicago - jordypip23 - 12-09-2017

Quote: (02-14-2017 06:02 PM)Baldwin81 Wrote:  

A joke about U of C, which is a fine school, etc.

Walk around campus during the fall and ask a student, "Bro, how 'bout those Bears?"

They'll be like, "Well the commercial timber-related deforestation coupled with climate change has impacted the North American grizzly bear's natural habitat and..."

Hahahahahah.

Chicago - Only8sandup - 12-09-2017

I recommend living in Lincoln Park. Last time I went I saw a lot of quality there surprisingly. Gold for daygame.

Chicago - bgbusiness - 12-10-2017

Quote: (12-09-2017 11:15 PM)reppin_the_847 Wrote:  

Funny how the Loop is dead when hopping River North is literally 5 minutes north of it tops lol. I used to live in the Chicago area (I was born in Chicago).

The entire downtown is dead at night except the venues near top clubs like The Mid, Underground, Soundbar, Studio Paris and some main streets like Hubbard

Chicago - Shimmy - 12-10-2017

Quote: (12-09-2017 11:15 PM)reppin_the_847 Wrote:  

Funny how the Loop is dead when hopping River North is literally 5 minutes north of it tops lol. I used to live in the Chicago area (I was born in Chicago). Long story, but I live near Detroit now. I'd love to roll out to Chi city once it gets warmer again in 2018 and tear it up with some of you fellas.

Not many places to live in the Loop it's mostly offices. RN seems to be the opposite with mostly condos/apartments and has much more bars/restaurants. I think the other factor is so many people live in LP/Lakeview/etc and RN is on the way home for them.

Chicago - markygras - 12-10-2017

Big difference between living in a place and "gaming" in a place. Lincoln Park and Lakeview (where I live) are great places to live as well as have a nice bar scene.
Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village are fun...to visit. They're full of patchy-bearded hipsters, who NEVER make good neighbors. Your average Wicker Park (or Logan Square for that matter) soyboy will think nothing of screaming to his friends outside your apartment on a tuesday night when you have work in the morning. Got a beer bottle? Might as well smash it on the sidewalk, why wouldn't you? That kind of mentality.

Clark St/Broadway and the adjacent pub streets in LP/LKVW are great, and people don't act like seven-year-olds.

Chicago - doc holliday - 12-10-2017

I'm not a huge fan of Wicker Park. It has some cool bars and restaurants for sure but it is hipster, soy boy douchebag central. Plus it is very expensive to live around there, big time overpriced in my opinion. The crime is a bit higher over there too compared to Lincoln Park, RN and West Loop. You always hear stories on the news about some hipster dude or gal being jacked by some gangbangers from the more ghetto areas just to the west. Just generally an overrated area to live (but again, fun place to Uber in and out of).

Chicago - americanpituco - 12-10-2017

Quote: (12-09-2017 04:23 PM)Kid Twist Wrote:  

Seriously considering moving to Chicago in Dec or Jan. The only thing holding me back is the vicious winters that I always hear about. Can anyone tell me about these winters and their effect on social and night life? Do people still go out during the winter or does the city turn into a ghost town?

For those that lived in Chicago this last year, would you say its still a good bargain with respect to cost of living and what the city offers (culture and women)?

I know the city fairly well, have spent quite a bit of time there. Although I'm more familiar with LA & Las Vegas, also consider them far superior cities.

Nothing slows down in winter, if anything, people go out more it seems. If you challenge the bitter cold weather, then you're considered a pansy. Have fun waiting in line when it's -20 to get into a River North club.

For starters, Chicago is middle America, and all the idiocy that comes with that. Civic fanaticism, best food fanaticism, sports fanaticism, just nonstop fanaticism. look down on everywhere besides NY for some reason. They're so fanatical about "the city" they even look down on the suburbs. lol.

Oftentimes, people mistaken the culture of a city vs "culture", all big cities in the US have impressive museums, historical monuments, which fall under the umbrella of culture. Chicago has a lot of that, but the actual culture of the city is annoying.

The city itself has no edge to it, very plain or something & food obsessed to the point Freud would be impressed. Obviously lots of attractive women given the sheer population size, but they do marry younger there, if you're a single guy above 30 you might be seen as strange or closet gay, but that is how the midwest is.

3. What do, let's say your favorite LA and Vegas, have in culture that is superior, or what do you count or not count as that

Just wondering.

1. En masse herd mentality. Cult level
2. Everything there is the best no matter what, just for being Chicago
3. Simply way cooler cities. Evocative. Go anywhere in the world, people get excited over those cities, not the same with Chicago (although they have probably heard of it).
4. Somewhere interesting, a true international flair. Chicago is seriously lacking in this department for being a big city.

Chicago - jordypip23 - 12-10-2017

Quote: (12-10-2017 08:57 PM)americanpituco Wrote:  

Just wondering.

3. Simply way cooler cities. Evocative. Go anywhere in the world, people get excited over those cities, not the same with Chicago (although they have probably heard of it).
4. Somewhere interesting, a true international flair. Chicago is seriously lacking in this department for being a big city.

Having grown up in the Chicago metro area & living in both the city & the suburbs there I can totally understand your points. I live in the suburbs of Detroit now. The mentality here is much different. Detroit is much more of an "underdog" city trying to resurge and experience a comeback.

Chicago - doc holliday - 12-10-2017

It is idiotic to say that say that LA and Vegas have superior culture to Chicago. Vegas is a city of transients and tourists looking to go wild while away from home. To say that Vegas culture is trash would be understating it. Now I actually like Vegas for the climate, the desert scenery and the ability to people watch when they are behaving at their absolute worst but culture and refinement isn't what comes to mind when I think of Vegas. The herd mentality of hedonism is strong and large in Vegas and its the only reason people visit Vegas.

LA is just a shithole period. Again great climate and natural beauty but filled with vacuous, pretentious people all trying too hard to be hot and cool at the same time. Then you have all of the illegals claiming it to be Mexico el Norte. Add a healthy dose of liberal government and Hollywood douchebaggery along with a sprawling, never ending metpropolis and you have probably the worst city on planet earth in which to live. Hell even the beaches are overrated and the water is too cold and polluted to swim in the majority of the year. LA people are so generally the same and herdish that it ain't even any fun to people watch there. Plus what kind of international city has a 1:30 am closing time for the bars?

Chicago isn't perfect by any means and most people who live here understand that. I've never encountered this superiority complex that you claim americanpituco and I find people here are generally pretty cool for big city people. The restaurants are great here, you don't need to drive on the freeway for two hours to go from the restaurant to the bar and our bars don't close at 1;30.

Chicago - ChadW85 - 12-11-2017

Just wondering.

Haha, you criticize Middle America’s “herd mentality” while demonstrating a herd mentality yourself in point 3. Your lack of respect for Chicago is a product of what other people think. I’d recommend thinking for yourself rather than blindly buying into other people’s opinions of what’s “cool” or “evocative.”

Who cares what others think, anyway? Chicago is much better than phony and traffic-filled LA and Vegas, which is a depressing desert dump as soon as you veer off the strip.

Chicago - ChadW85 - 12-11-2017

Quote: (12-10-2017 11:51 PM)doc holliday Wrote:  

It is idiotic to say that say that LA and Vegas have superior culture to Chicago. Vegas is a city of transients and tourists looking to go wild while away from home. To say that Vegas culture is trash would be understating it. Now I actually like Vegas for the climate, the desert scenery and the ability to people watch when they are behaving at their absolute worst but culture and refinement isn't what comes to mind when I think of Vegas. The herd mentality of hedonism is strong and large in Vegas and its the only reason people visit Vegas.

LA is just a shithole period. Again great climate and natural beauty but filled with vacuous, pretentious people all trying too hard to be hot and cool at the same time. Then you have all of the illegals claiming it to be Mexico el Norte. Add a healthy dose of liberal government and Hollywood douchebaggery along with a sprawling, never ending metpropolis and you have probably the worst city on planet earth in which to live. Hell even the beaches are overrated and the water is too cold and polluted to swim in the majority of the year. LA people are so generally the same and herdish that it ain't even any fun to people watch there. Plus what kind of international city has a 1:30 am closing time for the bars?

Chicago isn't perfect by any means and most people who live here understand that. I've never encountered this superiority complex that you claim americanpituco and I find people here are generally pretty cool for big city people. The restaurants are great here, you don't need to drive on the freeway for two hours to go from the restaurant to the bar and our bars don't close at 1;30.

He’s not kidding, guys. LA is really that awful. Worst major city in North America.

Chicago - americanpituco - 12-11-2017

Quote: (12-10-2017 11:51 PM)doc holliday Wrote:  

Interesting points. LA is not for everyone. It's very flashy, and most Americans have a problem with that. Chicago is probably better for most. There's a lot of data here it seems on LA & Chicago.

West coast vs midwest. Seriously, which is cooler?

Not sure how that is up for debate, but it is.

Quote: (12-11-2017 12:19 AM)ChadW85 Wrote:  

Just wondering.

Haha, you criticize Middle America’s “herd mentality” while demonstrating a herd mentality yourself in point 3. Your lack of respect for Chicago is a product of what other people think. I’d recommend thinking for yourself rather than blindly buying into other people’s opinions of what’s “cool” or “evocative.”

Who cares what others think, anyway? Chicago is much better than phony and traffic-filled LA and Vegas, which is a depressing desert dump as soon as you veer off the strip.

I've spent enough time there. It's no different than any other cities in the rust belt.

LA is a cooler city than Chicago....can that really be disputed? It's like saying, Paris is cooler than Frankfurt. Duh.

The perception of a place does matter. I'm not saying this is good or bad, it's simply the order of things. Some people like knowing they are somewhere relevant, others may not care.

Chicago - Heart Break Kid - 12-11-2017

Why does the perception of LA > Chicago matter if you actually live in Chicago? Who cares if someone from Spain thinks LA is a cooler place to live than Chicago.

Chicago is nothing like a rust belt city. There's a pretty big difference between Chicago and Buffalo.

Chicago - Its All Love - 12-11-2017

LA is a city with excellent marketing but a shitty product. Most overrated city in America.

That being said, it's 'perceived' as cooler than Chicago but like another poster said, who gives a fuck if LA is seen as cooler if you actually live in Chicago?

Quote: (12-11-2017 09:42 PM)Heart Break Kid Wrote:  

Why does the perception of LA > Chicago matter if you actually live in Chicago? Who cares if someone from Spain thinks LA is a cooler place to live than Chicago.

Chicago is nothing like a rust belt city. There's a pretty big difference between Chicago and Buffalo.

Not really, although Cleveland or Milwaukee would be more accurate.

Chicago - Naughty By Nature - 12-12-2017

+1,000,000 on everything Doc, Chad, Heart, and Love said.

As someone who has lived in both Los Mangeles aka The LAnd of Snakes and Chicago, I feel uniquely qualified to weigh in on this.

Los Mangeles is a cultural and logistical dumpster fire. It is complete garbage. Half your day is spent in traffic, the other half is spent dealing with fake, slimy people, and the entirety is spent being flaked on by the most entitled, flaky women in North America.

I, too, am not understanding Pituco’s “follower” mentality of LA > Chicago because, well, other people around the world say so. That’s mindless groupthink. Katy Perry must be more talented than Andrea Bocelli because, well, other people say so, amirite?

Chicago is picturesque and is nothing like those rust belt cities you mentioned. The architecture is breathtaking, it’s clean, and there’s Lake Michigan, the Chicago River, and multiple beaches IN the downtown core. No other city in North America is packed with those kind of attractions in the downtown core, as far as I know. It also has massive foot traffic and world class 5 AM closing time nightlife. Those dump cities you mentioned are dead and have essentially zero nightlife, not to mention an LA-esque 2 AM closing time.

If you’re seriously going to compare Chicago to Cleveland or Milwaukee then we might as well stop responding b/c you’re clearly trolling at this point and we’re wasting our time.

Chicago - Naughty By Nature - 12-12-2017

Chicago:

[Image: cq5dam.web.637.358.jpeg]

Cleveland:
[Image: Cleveland-Skyline.jpg]

Chicago - doc holliday - 12-12-2017

Quote: (12-11-2017 09:42 PM)Heart Break Kid Wrote:  

Funny thing about Buffalo is that the bars there are actually open until 4am believe it or not. Still can't believe the bars in LA close at 1:30.

Chicago - americanpituco - 12-12-2017

They close at 9pm in the valley

Chicago - blacknwhitespade - 12-12-2017

We've had these discussions about Chicago and Los Angeles before. I'm a native to Chicago/Illinois, lived in LA area for some years after university, and then came back to Chicago (suburbs) to be rooted and close to my family again. Outside of both being mega cities in size and scope, the 2 are so hard to compare since their strengths/weaknesses are just about 180 from each other, at least in the American spectrum of places to live.

Basically comes down to this:

Do you like beaches, palm trees, sunglasses, shiny things, movies, mountains, warm weather for year-round outdoors-y activities?? Do you also like to flash your cash? Want to live somewhere that feels cutting-edge and is truly one-of-a-kind? Don't mind driving everywhere to get anywhere? LA is your place.

Or, do you like hustle-and-bustle, big buildings, stately homes, cultured museums, after hours bars/clubs, and restaurants with greasy food? Do you like to brag about robberies and street shootings that happened just around the corner from your house? Want to live around a cosmopolitan city that has a blue-collar/underdog pride? Can you handle 4 dominant seasons? You're a Chicago guy.

Personally, I enjoyed Los Angeles when I was in my younger 20s, it's slightly more exotic/melting-pot than Chicago, has an endless array of possibilities, you can kind of "find your niche" moreso there. I've enjoyed Chicago better in my 30s for a new adventure while establishing my roots/identity, the more reasonable COL and quality of life, and the slightly more "real" vibe of things.