Roosh V Forum
TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet (/thread-56561.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 04-13-2017

Did some digging.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...lling.html

A knife attack every 4 mins in the UK. 130,000 a year or so.

I tried to find knife attacks in France or Germany just to see what it looked like, but Google failed me.

With statistics like this for the UK, you would not be smart to walk around without empty handed skills. Staying in a nice neighborhood is not self defense. Once that Sharia Law Mayor wannabe in London starts being a trend in other areas, watch the fuck out.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Leonard D Neubache - 04-13-2017

^Specific location plays it's role, but times can change rapidly and so can finances, which means that bad districts can come to you or you might unexpectedly be forced to dwell in one.

So yeah, training is good.

Quote: (04-13-2017 10:30 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

^Specific location plays it's role, but times can change rapidly and so can finances, which means that bad districts can come to you or you might unexpectedly be forced to dwell in one.

So yeah, training is good.

Well I lived in a part of Houston that was right next to millionaires, went to an upscale restaurant and just outside it, someone robbed some rich dudes in a Benz soon as I showed up.

Trash will go where they can get it. The poor won't always rob the poor. Gotta be ready no matter where you live.

I get grabbed in China semi often nowadays depending on the city or area. I will slide my foot smoothly into their into the middle of their instep and turn around. Oh! they just want to look at my mixed blood kid....hehe

I never feel relieved because I was ready no matter what. The day you let your guard down, could be your last day. Maybe even your kids.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Leonard D Neubache - 04-13-2017

Living out in the sticks is nice.

The extreme personal space bubbles you have out here make the unicorn-rarity instances of aggression extremely obvious from the get-go.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - H1N1 - 04-13-2017

Quote: (04-13-2017 10:12 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Did some digging.

I tried to find knife attacks in France or Germany just to see what it looked like, but Google failed me.

With statistics like this for the UK, you would not be smart to walk around without empty handed skills. Staying in a nice neighborhood is not self defense. Once that Sharia Law Mayor wannabe in London starts being a trend in other areas, watch the fuck out.

No doubt, it can be a dangerous and unpleasant place. I used to box in a rough gym in a bad area, and we had a guy there who'd done 6 years in prison for GBH. He was the spitting image, in size and appearance, of Mike Tyson. He was actually a nice guy - always kind and helpful to me, but extremely imposing. He got his lung collapsed by a 14 year old kid with a screw driver one night, walking to his girlfriend's place. The kid was trying to prove a point to get initiated into a gang.

That was a real eye opener for me. Here was a guy who'd done hard time, and was no stranger to gangs and violence, and who had the build and skills to be formidable (he was 28-2 as an amateur at 91kg+), and he still got done by a kid who couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag unarmed.

Quote: (04-13-2017 10:50 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  

Did some digging.

No doubt, it can be a dangerous and unpleasant place. I used to box in a rough gym in a bad area, and we had a guy there who'd done 6 years in prison for GBH. He was the spitting image, in size and appearance, of Mike Tyson. He was actually a nice guy - always kind and helpful to me, but extremely imposing. He got his lung collapsed by a 14 year old kid with a screw driver one night, walking to his girlfriend's place. The kid was trying to prove a point to get initiated into a gang.

That was a real eye opener for me. Here was a guy who'd done hard time, and was no stranger to gangs and violence, and who had the build and skills to be formidable (he was 28-2 as an amateur at 91kg+), and he still got done by a kid who couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag unarmed.

Wow. Is that guy dead or did that just end his fighting career?

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - H1N1 - 04-13-2017

Quote: (04-13-2017 11:22 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Did some digging.

Last I heard he was working doors. Still not a guy you'd want to tangle with if it could be avoided. He obviously lacks the gas for sport fighting these days tho.

Quote: (04-13-2017 02:05 PM)H1N1 Wrote:  

Quote: (04-13-2017 11:22 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Did some digging.

Last I heard he was working doors. Still not a guy you'd want to tangle with if it could be avoided. He obviously lacks the gas for sport fighting these days tho.

Glad to hear that he pulled through.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - kinjutsu - 04-13-2017

Quote: (04-13-2017 09:57 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Quote: (04-10-2017 03:51 PM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

Quote: (04-10-2017 06:57 AM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

Quote: (04-07-2017 09:59 PM)CaptainChardonnay Wrote:  

^ I think this comment hits the nail on the head

Quote:Quote:

This might shock some people but, if someone wants to harm you and they have the element of surprise, there is almost nothing you can do to stop them. I would suggest not going to areas with large amounts of strangers and, if you must, go in groups of 3 or more. For some reason, studies have shown, even crazy people, wont attack when there is a 3 to 1 superiority. Oh yeah, and, carry at least a good knife, flashlight, and pistol everywhere you go. 

That would not be an attack, that would be an assasination. And it's called an assasination because very few people ever survive. That's why there are whole disciplines, customs and equipment designed to protect against this. The handshake was invented to show that you were not carrying a stiletto in your hand.

If we're just looking at bladed weapon, the medieval/renaissance times give you plenty of example. You basically have zero chance of defending against an assasin , even if you have bodyguards and stuff. The Japanese designed their floor to be empty boards so that footsteps can easily be heard, and most daimyo/samurai carry a knife with them all the time. An entire martial art - iaijutsu - was invented to increase your chance of survival.

I'm not talking about just how fast you can draw and cut at the same time, like Iaido. Iaijutsu takes into account a lot of thing, especially situational awareness. Samurais when go into dark areas usually undo their kimono sleeve so you can easily draw your sword. Shadow watching - being aware of how different light sources can help you to watch the environment, was also taught.

A lot of the techniques involve rising draw, which is done after you have rolled yourself away from danger, or are defending yourself from an assassin just after the ceremonial bow.

This is giving me flashbacks to my childhood. I've lost count how many times my old sensei would discuss about things like this. Most of the time Iaijutsu would have the training integrated with knife or sword training. Very rarely will you ever see a school specialize in this.
Training in the ways to assassinate people is a very good way to avoid being assassinated. This is similar to strikers training in bjj and wrestling to avoid being taken down or at least put up a solid defense to the tactics of those styles.

In reality, though you are least likely to be "assassinated" with a blade and more likely to be shot with a gun. The level of skill required to kill someone with a knife up close without drawing attention is special forces level.
What kind of enemies do you have for this to be a valid concern in your life?

Actually knife attacks far far outnumber gun attacks by some absurdly high number.

In the UK there can be thousands of knife attacks in a single month!

Even knife attacks are higher than gun ones in the US (in 2011 I think). Canada would be closer with the UK.

Heck, weren't you involved in a knife attack once or twice before your ownself?

Compared to me as an American, I have had guns pulled on me twice and only one knife attack.

Yes i was. When i was growing up in the UK i saw far more knives pointed at me than i would've liked. The UK is a different beast.
My comments were speaking about targeted assassination not about random street thugs trying to rob you on tube heading home. These types of guys used the knife to scare compliance out of you.

Canada is a bit different in that when looking at the murder stats not many people are being killed by knives compared to swarm attacks or shootings.
Most of these crimes are done by untrained idiots that can't/dont know how to fight and aren't willing to get that close to kill with a knife.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Jameson Ranger - 04-14-2017

Thanks travelerkai for that bit on pro v am boxers. Appreciate it.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Strickland1 - 04-14-2017

TravelerKai
First Thanks for this excellent and resourceful thread. If you dont mind sharing what are your thoughts about Bruce Lee regarding:

1. What transferable skills did he posses that were useful for street fighting?

2. What were his strengths as a fighter?

3. What were his weaknesses as a fighter?

4. What style(s) or school of combat would have a good chance of defeating Bruce? How would one have been able to defeat Bruce in his prime?

5. What would Bruce have needed to add to his repertoire to become even more lethal (no weapons)?

6. What are the Myths about Bruce that most in the public dont know about (regarding his fighting)?

Thanks

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 04-14-2017

Quote: (04-14-2017 12:16 PM)Strickland1 Wrote:  

TravelerKai
First Thanks for this excellent and resourceful thread. If you dont mind sharing what are your thoughts about Bruce Lee regarding:

1. What transferable skills did he posses that were useful for street fighting?

2. What were his strengths as a fighter?

3. What were his weaknesses as a fighter?

4. What style(s) or school of combat would have a good chance of defeating Bruce? How would one have been able to defeat Bruce in his prime?

5. What would Bruce have needed to add to his repertoire to become even more lethal (no weapons)?

6. What are the Myths about Bruce that most in the public dont know about (regarding his fighting)?

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words and feedback.

1. Speed, Aggression, Mindset. You need to be able to think and perform fast for self defense. Training should help you obtain that if the training is good. Bruce was great at mindset. He was like how WestIndianArchie is for us here on Game knowledge. Things like being/flowing like water, were philosophically important that the world needed to know. Martial Arts without philosophy and mindset is dead. You will have skills and do nothing with them. Taking what the opponent throws at you and using it against him is what every fighter must constantly be thinking about. The minute you stop doing that, you might as well wave a white flag or do a kata dance in the middle of the fight.

2. Athleticism was not super common in martial arts at the time. He was a fitness freak. Pound for pound he was exceptionally strong. World class even.

3. His weight. He weighed around 135-140lbs if I recall correctly. His overvaluation of speed and not enough on power. He was an actor first and a fighter second, but if there was a pro fighting circuit of some kind, it's anyone's guess if he would have fought in it or not. His ego/narcissism was another large weakness. He technically only had 2 or so years of Wing Chun knowledge. Although Wing Chun was invented as a short course to help Chinese women defend themselves against abusive husbands or others, he did not make something out of Wing Chun, that others to this very day continue to do. He was impressed with Boxing. He should have just went that route or learned something else with a solid foundation. Instead he sampled everything. He and his style Jeet Kun Do is a Jack of All Trades master of nothing style.

4. LOL! Dude. Chuck Norris was an actual real fighter. He would have crushed Bruce with a mere elbow strike. Sugar Ray Leonard will never speak badly about Bruce, but he would have killed him if they were in a street fight or the ring. These guys just try to be nice. Bruce was just an actor that wanted to be a fighter. Remember the guy was a buck 35 soaking wet. Most MMA guys that are middleweight or higher would rag doll him today. Weight is power. Anyone saying different is blowing smoke up your ass. Probably most Muay Thai fighters in his time (his weight and especially higher), would have wrecked him unconscious. MT back then was much rougher than it is today and that is saying alot.

5. Lethal? HA! There was nothing lethal about the guy. He had not studied anything remotely close to Dim Mak, because that is too advanced for what he knew. Wing Chun is Chinese Gong Fu, Light Edition. It does not contain any animals, few kicks, no pressure point or small joint manipulation, like Hung Gar would for example. Legit Gong Fu if studied all the way with Internal Strength is what can kill a person. People with legit Iron Robe, Iron Fist, etc. can break skull bone with one hit. There are Tiger Style grandmasters that could rip your skin off with one strike because their hands are so hard. Go look back through this thread. We discussed this at length and I posted pictures of Master Pang and guys like that. I know deadly and dangerous techniques that Bruce would have never bothered to try to learn, and I am nobody special. He constantly made fun of traditional martial arts as fake or hocus pocus.

6. The biggest one was that he was a fighter of some kind. Beating up a couple of old Chinese men on a rooftop to show off his skills, is the kind of shit that got him killed. When some legit people sent a legit gong fu guy to fight him, it was his last.

You should, if you get a chance, go visit some Shaolin Monks. Real ones. The kind of guys that break rocks and stone while holding unbroken eggs in the palm of their hand. The kind that can push a nail into a piece of wood with their bare hands. You see shit like that, you will forget Bruce existed. These men are actual killers if they were not peaceful. Chinese emperors feared monks because a handful of them could destroy large amounts of men. That is why they destroyed their temples. Vagabond monks like the blind killer, killed God knows how many people in duels. It's not well documented but in some books, I read ages ago, 50 Shaolin monks were hired by a Chinese Emperor to repel Japanese invaders/pirates. They killed 300 or more of them allegedly sending them running back to their ships in fear.

There are Triads/gangsters in Asia that can kill like this believe it or not.

You never know what a person you see on the street can do. A little Asian man walking on the street might stop your heart with 3 touches the second you grab his shirt collar. Also respect what you do not know about a person. The human body is so versatile and powerful, it is incredible what hard work and focus on one thing for a lifetime can accomplish.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 04-14-2017

Just to clarify some things.

The reason why Chuck, Jackie Chan, and many others constantly defend Bruce in public is 100% because of money.

Take Jackie for example. He was strong enough to do stunts Bruce could not do. He was his stunt double for crying out loud. Jackie would have been a nobody if it were not for Bruce. Jackie is very respectful and humble for what Bruce did for him. As a result, he would never snitch. Besides if he said Bruce was not a real fighter, how would that make him look? Salty, jealous, make his skills seem fake, etc.

Take Chuck Norris for example. If Bruce was alive right now. How many movies would he, Chuck, Stallone, and Arnold have with each other? Too many to count. He would have been in the those silly old man superhero movie series, The Expendables. Chuck was smart back in the day. There was morrre than enough movie pussy to share the spotlight with Bruce and similar guys. He also just isn't selfish in general. Back in those days, there was nothing to gain for masculine male actors to kayfabe or snitch on what was real and what was special effects. Nothing! Everyone hammed it up, because it was a business, and there was nothing to gain by talking about the business inside and out. Most of your fans are children and young men and watch WWF and WCW as well.

If you were in their shoes, you would have done the same thing. Only today, do you see guys like Stone Cold Steve Austin on Youtube talking about EVERYTHING that happened behind the scenes. 30 years ago, those videos and Stone Cold himself would have been found in the Hudson River. I'm not even kidding.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Ringo - 05-03-2017

Thoughts on this?

First of all, props to this guy. He has a lot of humility to get on the ring and have his skill/art dismantled after 10+ years of training.

I'm not an expert in multiple martial arts, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought it was interesting that he could keep his distance when striking and he took a traditional, Lyoto Machida-esque stance, but the distance is probably more due to his height and reach than skill. Also Machida has that stance but he can blitz opponents and step back really quick; this guy couldn't.

In fact, everytime he was blitzed himself he ate punches or got taken down.

He gave up his back multiple times, like at 04:08 or 04:45.

No takedown defense against the singles/doubles.

All in all much respect for putting it on the line.

Curious to your opinions as I know we have some aikidokas on the forum.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - cascadecombo - 05-03-2017

The video made one thing clear, and that is he doesn't have sufficient sparring experience.

I've gone with a couple dudes who had trained aikido and were comfortable on the ground. I had to stay very aware of whenever they put their hands because it was always some kind of small joint manipulation.

Also going to point out that this is one style playing in another styles rules, MMA isn't big on small joint manipulation. Couple that with what looks like the guys lack of sparring experience/comfort and what looks like lack of raw strength I could have seen this happening from the onset.

I also always wonder why they keep so strictly to the stances, possessing a far lower range of movement than should he have altered it a bit to something more conventional. But that also was a point of the video I reckon.

I can say from my experience sparring with a guy who was comfortable and using small join locks while I stuck to more grappling I rather enjoyed the stark difference between targets. had the chance to show him where he can apply his stuff after faking a well known technique. And I got to pick up some small things I can use for the dirtier times.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Ringo - 05-03-2017

Quote: (05-03-2017 02:39 PM)cascadecombo Wrote:  

Also going to point out that this is one style playing in another styles rules, MMA isn't big on small joint manipulation.

Yeah, plus they the guy constantly goes for wristlocks and wrist control - wearing gloves surely makes it harder, it's thicker, no ball of the hand to hang on to, harder to manipulate the articulation, etc.

I don't know much about aikido, but most of the takedowns I've seen involve controlling the hands of the opponents. That's going to be near impossible in a stand up MMA ruleset. Does aikido have any wrestling or judo style takedowns?

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 05-03-2017

Quote: (05-03-2017 10:41 AM)Ringo Wrote:  

Thoughts on this?

First of all, props to this guy. He has a lot of humility to get on the ring and have his skill/art dismantled after 10+ years of training.

I'm not an expert in multiple martial arts, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought it was interesting that he could keep his distance when striking and he took a traditional, Lyoto Machida-esque stance, but the distance is probably more due to his height and reach than skill. Also Machida has that stance but he can blitz opponents and step back really quick; this guy couldn't.

In fact, everytime he was blitzed himself he ate punches or got taken down.

He gave up his back multiple times, like at 04:08 or 04:45.

No takedown defense against the singles/doubles.

All in all much respect for putting it on the line.

Curious to your opinions as I know we have some aikidokas on the forum.

This is why I wrote in my OP the cons for Aikido:
Quote:Quote:

Cons:
1)Not a complete system. (no real strikes)
2)No extensive groundwork.
3)Peaceful system that focuses on self-defense only with no realistic options for attacking.
4)Takes a fairly long time to fully learn. (~5-10 years+) To master 15+
5)Does not train the body for good physical conditioning, must develop that outside.

This guy has been doing Aikido for 10 years. That just means, he just learned Aikido. He isn't ready to fight someone very powerful at his experience level.

That MMA fighter would have gotten his wrist or fingers broken by some masters I have met. These guys all have 20+ years of experience with Aikido. Some of them could SJM a regular attacker wearing a blindfold. Thats how sensitive they get after studying it for that long.

That said, could a master defend against a Cain Velasquez? A pro boxer? Not likely. They tend not to be anywhere near that good of physical shape to mess with anyone of that caliber.

Also, at 10 years in, no doubt he has not learned the dirty side of Aikido. Not all teachers and dojos know or teach it, but there are some that teach the "Invisible Weapon" like in Japanese Ju Jitsu. I met a guy that had 30+ years experience and one of the major grandmasters in that area of the US, and he knew more on that, than I did by alot. Big overweight dude, but he was untouchable. He did a demo of 8 regular people trying to attack him at the same time, and a couple of them he dropped with pressure point jabs.

Also, the MMA gloves prevent him from using what he was taught. Like mentioned above, SJM is illegal in MMA as well. Aikido does not use strikes at all, so this little experiment was stupid to be honest. That was no different from asking a child with no prior handwork training to get in there and spar with the MMA guy.

Aikido is for self defense only, not sport fighting. Japanese Samurai used this and splinter aspects of the style (Kinjutsu, etc) to defend small quarter circle wise, against other sword wielding opponents. They tended to use this in general with JJ if they had gotten disarmed or their sword fell out of their hands. Conversely, it can be used while holding a katana without needing both hands be free.

Aikido excels apart from general JJ in the sense that, it teaches you how to disarm or dispatch an attacker, without exposing your back for too many seconds, to others that can attack you. Using lots of pivots and quarter turn techniques, they have the best 360 degree self defense of any style.

There are some Russian and French dudes that have a kind of "Modern Aikido" that is a major departure from the traditional stuff. I will see if I can find them sometime, but it's been a while so I need to search again. Anyway, these guys are super creative and it impressed me how powerful their Aikido is, especially in gun disarms, and similar. They do alot of real world stuff, like hitting or getting hit, doing everything at full speed, etc.

I found one of them.

Nenad Ikras

He's a direct student of the Founder of "Real Aikido", which is a more modern and full speed version of Aikido.

He's a Serbian guy that is based in Spain. Any of you Spain based guys, might want to go and check him out if you are in the market for a self defense style.

If you notice, their Aikido is not a whole lot different from Russian Systema in alot of ways, except it is alot more like Aikido. He even uses pressure points subtly if you pay close attention. Systema borrowed a lot of Aikido techniques, even more than Krav Maga did.

This guy would not play around with that MMA fighter in your video Ringo. I'm pretty sure he would know what to do. lol

Quote: (05-03-2017 03:22 PM)Ringo Wrote:  

Quote: (05-03-2017 02:39 PM)cascadecombo Wrote:  

Also going to point out that this is one style playing in another styles rules, MMA isn't big on small joint manipulation.

Yeah, plus they the guy constantly goes for wristlocks and wrist control - wearing gloves surely makes it harder, it's thicker, no ball of the hand to hang on to, harder to manipulate the articulation, etc.

I don't know much about aikido, but most of the takedowns I've seen involve controlling the hands of the opponents. That's going to be near impossible in a stand up MMA ruleset. Does aikido have any wrestling or judo style takedowns?

Oh yeah, it absolutely has Judo style takedowns. That is a large core of Aikido. See those vids I linked for more of an idea.

The key difference in Judo takedowns and Aikido takedowns is that, Judokas will contort their bodies to get that throw or drop/sweep.

Aikido guys (at least the experts), will not do that to compromise their position around several bad guys. They will adjust mid throw and transition into something safer. They even throw people in a way to use them as a meatshield into other attackers, so that they can grab that guy next and dispatch him easier. No Judokas would likely do that. Well at least, we are not trained to do things like that, because Judo is a sport. Technically, a Judoka in a street situation could use some common sense and do that against a few bad guys, but that would be an individual thing.

Also Aikido has way more wrist/arm based throws and takedowns than Judo has.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - kinjutsu - 05-06-2017

I think most of us reading this thread understand the need for self defense especially for females.
I saw this video posted on twitter...and while i understand what they are trying to get at the majority of those techniques will get those people seriously injured or killed.

My favorite part of the video is @ 0:15 when the muslim girl pulls guard on the guy larger than her. She's about 125lbs and hes easily 200lbs.

@0:42 The asian girl is doing a standing guillotine choke on a large attacker...she has zero leverage to choke the guy. He will be able to stand up and break choke with little issue or body slam her on the ground.
@0:49 The asian girl is some how able to break a neck grab by pushing away with her hands?? Clearly he's not that interested in raping her for her to be able get away so easily.

What shitty instructor is teaching this??

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Leonard D Neubache - 05-06-2017

The masterful art of teaching self defence techniques to women is to make that worthless shit as believable as possible.

What you're selling is the dream, not the reality. And women always prefer the dream, not the reality, so in the end everyone gets what they want.

edit: Oh, I get it now. The "resistance training" is the viewer having to resist the urge to laugh out loud.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - cascadecombo - 05-06-2017

Leonard what do you train?

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - Leonard D Neubache - 05-06-2017

Quote: (05-06-2017 03:16 PM)cascadecombo Wrote:  

Leonard what do you train?

Nothing specific. I've done quite a few generic courses just to build up my resume back when I was a security guard but most of my capacity to fight was built growing up with a nuisance of a little brother who was just about as large as me and hyper aggressive. The rest was on-the-job learning in real life situations.

It puts me below people of a similar build and aggression level that have proper training and well above everyone else, which is a situation I'm stuck with since I'm out in the sticks where fighting schools are known otherwise as "the local pub".

In any case I at very least know baloney when I see it.

Man, though, I'd love to have the opportunity to do some real sparring under professional tutelage, but out here self defence training is mostly relegated to covert firearms practice.

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 05-14-2017

Here is an interesting video from John's channel.

What lessons can be learned from this video on a sudden knife attack?

1. For me the biggest one is that taking your eyes off your opponent is the worse thing you could ever do. Anyone being confrontational is an opponent. Period.

2. Always watch a person's hands or fists (shoulders in the peripheral). Do not get suckered into staring deep into another man's eyes that is starting drama. That's for women. The eyes will fool you everytime. Don't feel like eye contact is respect and you must maintain it to defuse a situation. Safety is more important than that.

3. Monitor their footwork or placement. If you notice carefully, the attacker had one foot back with his hands down at his waist. That was a draw position. Any Iraq or Afghanistan vets out there are very used to seeing passive aggressive body language like this. That is one of the reasons why they yell orders for people and tell them not to move or make any funny movements, while keeping their rifle at the ready.

4. The 3 foot rule (21 feet for serious knife fighters) is always important. Even if someone has a gun, within 1 meter I can disarm him or stab him. Look at the Doug Marcaida vs the Elite Gun Fighter video above that I posted before, if you haven't already. If you are working a security detail, vocally be loud and assertive to a combative person to maintain their distance. You can actually keep your hands outward because you are in a position of authority to do so, use that to your advantage. If they are too close, keep your eyes on them and be ready to counter attack.

If you have a handgun on you, you cannot draw a gun on a knife at that range. Get hand to hand training or never let someone get that close. If your job requires that you engage others closely, remember to know your surroundings well (your backstop) so that you could get distance for a draw of your handgun. Dropping down on your back at an angle with your legs to create distance, you can draw and shoot.

5. If you are working as a team with others, don't focus attention on the same asshole. Split the duties. Each guy needs to watch their aggressor. Because those two focused away at the same thing, they both got stabbed, when if anything, one should have gotten stabbed and the other could have defended him (with a push kick, etc) to make an escape.

6. Not all angry people with a knife will back off an attack. These two got lucky the guy stopped, because he could have carved them both up and they never would have gotten away.

7. 9 times out of 10, no one charges you with a knife. Like Doug's video said, that shit is Hollywood. It will almost always come out from concealment. This guy's knife could have been a gun instead of a knife based upon that waistband draw he made. Never assume anyone around you is unarmed, especially anyone talking shit to you. There is a reason they feel that they can. They may think you are a pussy or a easy victim or that they have the upper hand on you somehow. The two that got stabbed were big men but that guy was just about as big but was not afraid of them at all. That was a social cue right there, that he did not respect their power nor authority.

Anyone else see or notice something in the video that you could point out?

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet - TravelerKai - 05-14-2017

Quote: (05-06-2017 12:48 AM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

I think most of us reading this thread understand the need for self defense especially for females.
I saw this video posted on twitter...and while i understand what they are trying to get at the majority of those techniques will get those people seriously injured or killed.

My favorite part of the video is @ 0:15 when the muslim girl pulls guard on the guy larger than her. She's about 125lbs and hes easily 200lbs.

@0:42 The asian girl is doing a standing guillotine choke on a large attacker...she has zero leverage to choke the guy. He will be able to stand up and break choke with little issue or body slam her on the ground.
@0:49 The asian girl is some how able to break a neck grab by pushing away with her hands?? Clearly he's not that interested in raping her for her to be able get away so easily.

What shitty instructor is teaching this??

These shitty SJWs think they are doing something good. Let them tumble and play around. They really should be learning CQC with guns, but that stuff is for Republicans and Conservatives right? Cities like NYC are prime places for people to be a victim since you cannot have a handgun. If they were really smart they would learn knife fighting from Doug in Rochester NY.

When it comes to women and MA for self defense, they need to learn JJ and Judo, which is what I used to teach women. Aikido is okay, but women won't spend 15 years of their lives on a martial art. BJJ is better for rape self defense to an extent, but again, women that are greatly outweighed by an attacker may still get knocked out and raped anyway.

Women's best bet is a handgun and CQC training to go with it. They also get discrepancy of force benefits in court over men of any size and age. Even a 6'0 tall and fat woman can shoot a 5'2" man that attacked her and no jury would find her guilty. No prosecutor in his right mind would bother charging her.

Could you as a 6'0 tall man shoot another man much smaller than you? Hell fuck no. You will get jailed for excessive force. Unless you are an much older man unable to fight an unarmed person off, you would get into serious trouble for shooting any male. You would have a hard time telling the jury why you feared for your life.

Women benefit the best from guns and men benefit the most from martial arts and guns if available.