rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Protein Shakes

Protein Shakes

Which do you use? What would you suggest is best on the market?

I need one that is also preferably low on Carbs.

Protein Shakes

Quote: (01-22-2012 10:23 PM)RaulValdez739 Wrote:  

Which do you use? What would you suggest is best on the market?

I need one that is also preferably low on Carbs.

Isopure from Nature's Best and they have flavors other than chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. They also make just a raw powder that you could mix into OJ, milk, gatorade etc..

Protein Shakes

truenutrition has a team skip blend, it's a mix of slow and faster absorbing proteins (isolate, casein and egg white), mixes easily and has a million flavors...a lot of the big nutrition companies buy through these guys in bulk and in various concentrations and relabel it, legally a company can call there product an isolate if there's just a small percentage in there and the rest could be cheap concentrate, sugar and fillers, lots of times guys get excited if they find a protein that tastes good but some good it does if you're using inferior garbage that leaves you bloated and gassy, good stuff doesn't do that. That's the one I use anyway but they have a million blends and you can make your own if you prefer. I haven't gone mainstream gnc popeyes store brands since I used these guys 4-5 years ago

Protein Shakes

Good thread. Will these shakes give me the protein I want and need to put on some weight? I can't always eat high protein food.

Protein Shakes

Quote: (01-23-2012 01:54 AM)houston Wrote:  

Good thread. Will these shakes give me the protein I want and need to put on some weight? I can't always eat high protein food.

It'll give you an efficient form of protein that's quick and easy, as for packing on weight that factors in many more things beyond protein. A basic shake with nothing but water and a couple scoops is 50 grams of protein and 250 calories, hardly a huge amount but add in some oats, some all natural peanut butter and you've got a shake that's heading in the 500 cal+ range and can help you get those extra cals you need to put on weight.

Protein Shakes

I like Gaspari Nutrition's Myofusion.

Protein Shakes

Mikeymike - good looking out. Does anyone know the difference between creatine and protein shakes?

Protein Shakes

houston - creatine is a a substance that is used to increase the energy in a muscle. This generally results in slightly higher lift #'s and hopefully larger muscle growth. Protein shakes help to feed the muscles and aid in the repair process after working out

Creatine needs to be taken w/ a minimum of a gallon of water a day as it naturally dehydrates you. I'd recommend starting w/ the shakes if you're looking to supplement your protein intake, then down the road add in some creatine if you're getting more serious

Protein Shakes

Quality ones

Protein Shakes

http://www.truenutrition.com

They have a whole line of SAVORY protein supplements, I dig it. Search for their soups.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Protein Shakes

"Primal Fuel"-http://www.amazon.com/Primal-Chocolate-Low-Carb-Replacement-Nutrition/dp/B0046Q7Z3E

Only if you can afford it though.

Protein Shakes

I think protein shakes and brands are much of a muchness.

As long as you get decent serving of protein i.e. in the 20g-25g range per scoop I think that's fine, and it's reasonably priced. They're highly marketed and people spend a lot on them (me included!).

Gold Standard/ Maximuscle Cyclone/ PhD Pharmawhey are your classics.

There is an argument for having casein based protein as opposed to whey. As casein releases proteins over a long time period, so ideal before you go to bed for instance.

Quote: (01-23-2012 04:02 AM)TheAntiWhiteKnight138 Wrote:  

Creatine needs to be taken w/ a minimum of a gallon of water a day as it naturally dehydrates you. I'd recommend starting w/ the shakes if you're looking to supplement your protein intake, then down the road add in some creatine if you're getting more serious

I've never read anything to suggest creatine needs to be taken with a gallon of water a day? Do you have anything to support that?

Moreover, I've never known creatine to have a dehydrating effect. Surely if that were so we'd be permanently dehydrated as our bodies naturally produce creatine? Taking creatine is merely supplementing what the body already produces. The only side effect I've ever had is maybe being 1kg heavier and larger looking muscles because of the water retention.

If you're unsure about creatine - this is the definitive article:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_arti...cd02.hydra

Quote:Quote:

Ten Take Home Points

1. Taking creatine pre-workout is likely fine, although all of the current data show the benefits of post-workout creatine consumption.

2. If its harsh taste, acidity, and higher cost aren't important to you, CEE may be a viable alternative for those few people who genuinely experience bloating with creatine supplementation.

3. CEE doesn't get taken up by our muscles or enhance performance to a greater extent than creatine monohydrate.

4. Despite many claims, novel or "fancy" creatines (including CEE) have no human performance data to back them up.

5. Creatine transport into muscle is the critical regulator of creatine performance enhancement and may be improved by carbohydrates, alpha-lipoic acid, exercise, and sodium.

6. To date, all short and intermediate length studies on creatine supplementation show the safety and efficacy of this supplement.

7. Creatine has potential in helping with various diseases, including type II diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

8. The nootropic effect of creatine is yet another way in which this supplement can enhance performance — mental performance.

9. Based on the available data, you don't need to cycle creatine, although it's not a bad idea to do so from time to time (or use the 3g post-workout protocol).

10. The caffeine contained in a couple cups of coffee (or cans of soda pop) a day, aren't likely to affect the performance enhancing effects of creatine.

CEE - Creatine Ethyl Ester, as discussed in the article.

Protein Shakes

Quote: (01-23-2012 06:24 PM)YoungGunner Wrote:  

"Primal Fuel"-http://www.amazon.com/Primal-Chocolate-Low-Carb-Replacement-Nutrition/dp/B0046Q7Z3E

Why do you like this one more?

Protein Shakes

Quote: (01-23-2012 06:52 PM)dk902 Wrote:  

I think protein shakes and brands are much of a muchness.

As long as you get decent serving of protein i.e. in the 20g-25g range per scoop I think that's fine, and it's reasonably priced. They're highly marketed and people spend a lot on them (me included!).

Gold Standard/ Maximuscle Cyclone/ PhD Pharmawhey are your classics.

There is an argument for having casein based protein as opposed to whey. As casein releases proteins over a long time period, so ideal before you go to bed for instance.

I'll agree that there's a lot of marketing and hype but all proteins aren't created equal....just looking at a label and seeing you're getting 20-25 grams of protein per scoop doesn't mean your product is as good as the next product with 20-25 grams protein.

Protein Shakes

I've known some guys who built that are vegetarian, and they don't take protein powder. Supposedly, this guy id vegetarian: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Khali

Protein Shakes

dude do you just like throwing away money, 3 pounds for 100 bucks? you're wildly overpaying.... there is nothing in that product that justifies that price tag, basic isolate, stevia base as a sweetener and a higher fat content, mix in some efas and you're golden. That product should run half that.

Protein Shakes

Quote: (01-23-2012 06:56 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

I think its because its "paleo approved" so strict paleo dieters can eat it or something.

Protein Shakes

Quote: (01-23-2012 07:20 PM)mikeymike Wrote:  

dude do you just like throwing away money, 3 pounds for 100 bucks? you're wildly overpaying.... there is nothing in that product that justifies that price tag, basic isolate, stevia base as a sweetener and a higher fat content, mix in some efas and you're golden. That product should run half that.

So, which one is the best?

Protein Shakes

Quote: (01-23-2012 07:22 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

depends what you're after, are you looking for a true meal replacement shake, a shake to get in much needed protein post workouts, one to get you a solid mix of protein that'll supplement your existing diet, are you bulking or cutting...you can tailor your shakes to your specific goal so let me know what you had in mind and I'll recommend what I'd use

Protein Shakes

Whey protein, and I don't think it matters what the brand is, as long as the protein per serving is high and the carbs/fats in each serving are negligible.

I get the one that's cheap at Costco.

Protein Shakes

Quote: (01-23-2012 07:29 PM)mikeymike Wrote:  

depends what you're after, are you looking for a true meal replacement shake, a shake to get in much needed protein post workouts, one to get you a solid mix of protein that'll supplement your existing diet, are you bulking or cutting...you can tailor your shakes to your specific goal so let me know what you had in mind and I'll recommend what I'd use

I work out heavy, but no weights.

All boxing, explosive stuff, sprinting, core, body weight, pushups/pull ups etc.

So I guess it would be to help my body from breaking down.

Recovery.

Does that give you an idea to recommend one?

Protein Shakes

Quote: (01-23-2012 07:52 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

All boxing, explosive stuff, sprinting, core, body weight, pushups/pull ups etc.

Recovery.

I recommend you buy natural whey protein, unflavoured. Other ones are full of unnatural shit.

Here is an example ( just an example ): http://www.biprousa.com/bipro.html

Protein Shakes

Quote: (01-23-2012 07:22 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

Quote: (01-23-2012 06:56 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

I think its because its "paleo approved" so strict paleo dieters can eat it or something.

Yea I wanted a post-workout supplement but didn't know if that was allowed by the diet, so I'm using Primal Fuel to really see what primal done strictly does for me.

Protein Shakes

Alot of Good options.

Protein Shakes

Quote: (01-23-2012 07:52 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Recovery.

If you're doing HIIT and breaking down your body that much I would look at the same product I'm using, the team skip formula from true nutrition, the isolate will hit you immediately post workout but the casein will be slower absorbing and allow for the protein to help you recover over a longer period as it won't be out of your system in a under a couple hrs like a pure isolate. Then you get the egg white protein which is one of the most efficient form of proteins the body can get.

Everyone is quick to jump on the natural bandwagon, true nutritions customizable so you want to keep it natural you can, you want to add a stevia based sweetener you can but the more natural you leave the sweetening agent the shittier your product tastes, if someones got a natural product that tastes good it's not natural. You can also choose whether to add in vitamins, electrolytes, protease enzymes...so don't think you need to overpay on a 2lb container cause they say it's natural, the degree to which you keep your product natural is your choice. I use an artificial sweetener, a little isn't gonna kill ya and for the good the protein does my body I can justify it, i needed something palatable otherwise it's just gonna sit in a corner collecting dust, if you can handle the taste of a natural product keep it more natural.