rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

My Epiphany

My Epiphany

During my latest trip I learned a lot about myself. I went back to the mountain town I used to live in for New Years and it made me realize what I want to do with my life. It made me realize that being happy is more important than making lots of money. I know plenty of people who have lots of money and do not enjoy life. They actually really suck at life to be quit honest (Not saying all people with money suck or hate life, just saying it doesn't necissarily make you happy). Money can't buy you everything, and it sure can't buy you happiness. I'm not saying I don't want money, and if presented with the chance to make lots of money, I would do it if it made me happy. I'm just saying making lots of money isn't my first priority anymore. I realized that what I really wanted was in front of me the whole time, and it took me leaving to realize it. The things I love in life are traveling, snowboarding, women, family, and friends. I'm gonna break down what I've learned about moving from here to Miami over the last year +.

First of all, let's start with women... The women in Miami are beautiful, but they have the worst attitudes of anywhere I've been, no comparison. In the summer, Colorado is pretty terrible for picking up. The ratios are horrendous and most of the cute foreigners leave. But in the winter it's a totally different story. If you recall my post about moving to Miami I stated how town was a cockfest and it got difficult to pick up during the summer.... I didn't know what difficult was until I moved to Miami. Yeah, Colorado does suck during the summer, but during the winter... HOLY SHIT!!! Wayyy too many pretty Brazilian and Argi girls. I think it gets better by the year as more and more Brazilians are coming. I couldn't believe the amount of beautiful women in the clubs this time around when I went out. Even the bars! Colorado barely even has clubs, they're at most club/lounges. The women are EXTREMELY friendly. It was like night and day coming from Miami. I couldn't believe it, I forgot what it was like to be somewhere where most of the girls are friendly. My friend mentioned something about women being happy in tourist towns and happy women love to fuck. I don't think one women I approached gave me a shitty attitude the whole time, every single women I approached was at least down to have a conversation with me and they were all at least friendly even if they didn't want to fuck me, where in Miami girls will really look at you like you are stupid for thinking you have a chance with them. They won't even talk to you, just look at you like you're dumb. I'm not saying all women in Miami are like this, but I definitely get this way too often. Maybe my swagger just isn't Miami, IDK. But the girls in Colorado love me. I guess when I went off about how bad the women were I was just sick of being in the summer drought. Now I realize it's worth going 4 1/2 months with not many women to game for the rest of the year when it's great. There aren't as many cute girls in aspen as miami, but they are much friendlier and there are plenty of cute girls reguardless, and most men suck at gaming here. They don't get how to game the Brazilian girls either. They don't realize the whole head turn deal Brazilian girls have. They think just because a girl doesn't initially kiss them then they don't stand a chance. Plus they just aren't aggressive enough. And not only are there Brazilian and Argi girls, but girls from just about everywhere in the world. Whatever flavor you like can be found in Colorado (Except black, we always joke when we see black people in town that we should ask for their autograph). Colorado in the whole world in a small town. Enough about the girls though, you get the point that the place has an abundance of beauties in the winter and during summer the place is pretty sub par. And just to give you an idea, on my 7 day trip I got two bangs. One was kinda lined up before hand, one wasn't.

Now travel: I moved to Miami thinking it would be easy for me to travel with plane tickets being so cheap. Sure, tickets are cheap, but when do I get the time to travel? And at most I could MAYBE get two weeks off at a time, but that's pushing it. 2 weeks isn't close to enough time to get to know a place. In Colorado, I get 6 weeks off every 6 months. Six weeks is plenty of time to stay somewhere and get a decent idea of it. Basically I get laid off for 6 weeks, can even collect unemployment, and when I get back from my trip, I have my job should I want to go back to it. I figure if I move back I'll spend 3 months a year traveling. That means for every 4 years I spend a year traveling. Not bad at all.

As far as friends, snowboarding and family go.... It's a no brainer I can't snowboard in Miami. While I have many friends in Miami, I don't have a whole lot of close friends, and it's hard to meet truly good, genuine people in Miami. I have many great and close friends in Colorado. I can go out solo any given day and I'll run into friends. I know half the town and it feels good going into a bar and getting recognition. It definitely helps with the women as well when you walk into a club and you know half the people in there. I have no family on the east coast period. My mom moved to Colorado a couple years after I did, plus most my aunts, uncles, and a couple cousins live close.

Here's what I'm thinking for my future....
I work in Miami until may. I'll look for jobs in Colorado that pay close to as much as I'm making now. Most places need to hire their summer crews so may is a perfect time to look to start working in June. I'd have to do a tip based job in all likeliness. I should have a decent amount of money saved, so I'll travel during may and show up in Colorado in June. During the summers, I'm gonna plan on working two jobs to save lots of money, why not if there isn't much going on anyways? I'll have my 6 weeks off, and travel. During the winter, snowboard all day, work at night, and game after work (Plus during snowboarding and the days off). Finish the winter, travel another month and a half. After 3 or 4 years I should have at least $40-50k saved, which gives me enough money to buy a property in Brazil. If I buy this property, I should be able to rent it out for at least 6-800 a month. Now I have a little more cash flow coming in. Repeat, do the same and buy another property in 3-4 years. After my second house, I'm gonna be making an additional $10-15k a year, which will speed up the process of buying more properties as long as I keep working hard. I realize you'd usually get taxed out the ass being a foreigner, but I'm gonna have that taken care of. At this rate I should be semi retired by 40 bringing in around 4k a month if not more, which is plenty for me.

A big part of me going to Miami was going to school and starting a career. But I've realized that's not what I want to do. Most people who go to college don't use their degrees unless it's something like a doctor or engineer. I don't wanna get stuck in the rate race. I'm a work to live type person, not live to work.

Who knows, maybe this is just a faze I'm going through, or maybe I've found out what I really want to do with life. I'm young, but this really just feels right. I realize Colorado has most everything that makes me happy. And that I'm not guaranteed to be happy just because I graduate school and hope to get a job making 70k a year with 2 weeks vacation.

I like Miami. It's not my favorite place, but I make what I can out of it, and I make it fun. But it just doesn't have much of what I'm looking for. Nowhere has EVERYTHING I'm looking for, but Colorado's damn close, and a lot closer than Miami.

Anyone else ever been at this point in your life, where you had to make a major decision that's going to basically change the coarse of your life? What were your choices and what did you decide? Anyone can give their two cents on what they think. I appreciate constructive criticism.

Edit: Colorado= a specific mountain town in CO, I just didn't say the name of that town because it would be easy to figure out my identity if I did. If you wanna know more pm me. I'm sure many of you already know where I'm talking about.

My Epiphany

Im going through this right now. I realized a year or two ago that money isnt important to me and that wouldnt be the driving force in my life. Need a job that allows for work abroad and 2-3 months off a year.

Trying to balance whats important to me (travel, family, friends, free time) but also trying to come up with ways to make extra scratch.

After my 6 month stint in Colombia starting this summer I am coming back to the US to get my education degree and certification. Then look to purchase a townhouse or apartment to rent out while im living abroad.

My Epiphany

Sounds like you're in the same boat. I mean this place is too ideal. I get 3 months a year off and still get paid, what!?!? You can't find that much in America unless you find the right job or a job where you can work from home.

I'm also playing around with other ideas for income, but all things I can do online.

Eventually I should be making decent money without having to work much at all, and work from where ever I want. $50k a year is more than enough to live comfotably pretty much anywhere in the world.

My Epiphany

I just wish like FUCK i figured this shit out when I was in college! Could have saved me alot of time and money!

My Epiphany

Quote: (01-05-2012 11:05 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

I just wish like FUCK i figured this shit out when I was in college! Could have saved me alot of time and money!

My cousin helped me a lot making this decision today (Who happened to be on my same flight to Denver, had no idea we had the same flight, this shit happens to me way too often, its a damn small world). She was telling me about all the college loan debt she had, and while she does use her degree, she tells me most people she knows who have a degree don't use them, and most people I know with degrees don't either. A lot of the cats I know in CO have degrees but decided they wanted to live a similar life as I do. I ran into my second cousin in CO and he was telling me how he moved to San Fran after he graduated making $70k, but decided he'd rather move back to CO to teach free style ski lessons and DJ.

My Epiphany

It pains me to think I could have been living in Colombia or Brazil for the past 5 years working at a nice International School. With prob 1000 notches under my belt!

My Epiphany

Welcome to The real Miami playboy, and guess what? I've been living in Miami Beach for 15 years - just think of how foolish I see single guys when they tell me they'd kill to live here, and sacrifice their left nut to be around such beautiful women. When I first read of your move to Miami a while back, I felt sorry for you for leaving Colorado thinking this is pussy paradise.....and I told you it would be no-time at all that you'd see Miami for what it is: pretentious, snobby and smoke and mirrors.

Ha! I'm gonna copy your post and send it out to a few guys I know.

Every time I leave Miami and come back eventually, I hate it more!

Miami sucks! Why do I stay? I got way too much family/friends and investments $$$ here that it is a 4 year process for me to permanently leave, but I have 3 years left now - and then I am ex-pattin' to Colombia at the age 40; perfect age as Colombian 18 year old girls kill for 40 year old men to hitch - ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY LOOK 10 YEARS YOUNGER!

Mixx

My Epiphany

Quote: (01-05-2012 11:29 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Welcome to The real Miami playboy, and guess what? I've been living in Miami Beach for 15 years - just think of how foolish I see single guys when they tell me they'd kill to live here, and sacrifice their left nut to be around such beautiful women. When I first read of your move to Miami a while back, I felt sorry for you for leaving Colorado thinking this is pussy paradise.....and I told you it would be no-time at all that you'd see Miami for what it is: pretentious, snobby and smoke and mirrors.

Miami sucks! Why do I stay? I got way too much family/friends and investments $$$ here that it is a 4 year process for me to permanently leave, but I have 3 years left now - and then I am ex-pattin' to Colombia at the age 40; perfect age as Colombian 18 year old girls kill for 40 year old men to hitch - ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY LOOK 10 YEARS YOUNGER!

Mixx

Good plan Mixx. I should be able to retire next year, at 43, if I want. I don't think I will ever really retire but I also do all my work through the internet so I don't need to.

I gotta check out Colombia this year!

My Epiphany

Congrats on figuring it all out.

Something similar happened to me a few months back. I moved south for college last year chasing a sports dream. I eventually realized I was burned out and decided to hang up the gear. I'm moving back north next semester to a school where a lot of my close friends go and only a few hours from my hometown.

You don't realize how good you have it until you leave for a while.

My Epiphany

Interesting post, sounds like you've been going through a transitional life phase. I think this is pretty normal for guys in their late 20's (I'm 27), I relate to a lot of what you're saying, although I'm in a much different situation than you. I feel kind of stuck where I'm at, even though there's a lot of stuff I like about it, I feel like I'm limiting my potential in a lot of ways.

What's important is that you know what makes you happy, and ultimately that's what matters in life, right? Like you're saying, if you have a bunch of money, but are stuck in the rat race, and are unhappy, then what's the point?

One thing that I've found, is that the grass is always greener on the other side, but at this point, you've experienced Colorado and Miami, so you got some perspective, and if those are the two places you've narrowed down as places to live, it sounds like CO will be a better fit. (Also, FYI you mentioned you were in Aspen, so maybe you should edit that out, if you want to stay anonymous).

As far as your plan, I think it sounds good, but obviously things don't always work out as we hope. Not to be a buzz kill, but it sounds like it might be hard for you to save $40-50 K after 3-4 years unless you can somehow live rent free, and are frugal as fuck. Personally, I enjoy the good life far too much, (going out to nice restaurants, buying topshelf liquor, high grade herb, nice clothes, etc.) It will be especially hard to save money if you plan on traveling, unless you couch surf, have a free place to stay, eat street food, etc.

Also, as with the plan to buy property in Brazil, I don't know much about real estate there, but I know that typically there is a shit ton of red tape, and hassle for foreigners looking to buy properties abroad. Add to that the reality of having to rent it out, maintain the property, etc. Seems like there is a lot of potential stuff that can go wrong there, unless you got people you trust on the ground in Brazil to help you out.

All in all, I like where you're coming from, it sounds like you're starting to figure this shit out. I'd say just keep your head up and keep striving towards your goals, but be realistic, you don't want to set yourself up for disapointment. If you figure you can pull off the Brazil real estate, you might need to sacrafice a lot to save up the money to do it, but it could be worth it in the long run.

That's my 2 cents, hope it provided some insight.

My Epiphany

Quote: (01-05-2012 11:29 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Mixx

You're right mixx, miami is a tough crowd. I only know one kid who doesn't have money or isn't extremely good looking that consistantly pulls in MIA. I work with the guy and most the other guys at work don't like him, most likely because they are jellous, but I always give him mad props and tell him I admire his skills. The kids a natural. I don't know that I'd say Miami sucks in whole, but it definitely sucks for gaming unless you have top notch natural skills, money, or look really good. I feel game here only goes so far. A lot of women won't give you the time of day. I felt like I was on a different planet in CO. It seemed like my game was top notch. It probably wasn't, but it seemed that way coming from miami and how nice the girls were.

In Colorado, I really think letting the B-girls know that you know a bit about their culture helps. In Miami I could see it not working as well, but in CO I feel like they don't stray away from their crowd so much. Usually when I bring up I've been to Brazil girls lighten up while talking to me and get real excited. The BR girls in CO are still very Brazilian and not very americanized for the most part unless it's their second or third season. My friends all agree as well. They say I do much better with the girls because I know Portuguese. I was blowing girls minds out there....

I saw a girl standing in a bad spot, she kept getting ran into in the crowd. I told her to come closer to where I was standing.
I ask her: "You're Brazilian huh?"
She was, so I ask which city she's from.
She says, "You wouldn't know my city."
I ask, "Which one?"
She says, "Vitoria"
I say, "I lived in Jardim Cambori." (neighborhood in Vitoria)

She couldn't believe it. She had to ask a second time what I said and then called me a liar. Then she told me I had her heart. It was just too easy.

But this coming from a true playboy like yourself Mixx makes my decision even that much more firm. Congrats on the retirement! Hope I'm there at your age dude.

My Epiphany

Quote: (01-06-2012 12:13 AM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

Interesting post, sounds like you've been going through a transitional life phase. I think this is pretty normal for guys in their late 20's (I'm 27), I relate to a lot of what you're saying, although I'm in a much different situation than you. I feel kind of stuck where I'm at, even though there's a lot of stuff I like about it, I feel like I'm limiting my potential in a lot of ways.

What's important is that you know what makes you happy, and ultimately that's what matters in life, right? Like you're saying, if you have a bunch of money, but are stuck in the rat race, and are unhappy, then what's the point?

One thing that I've found, is that the grass is always greener on the other side, but at this point, you've experienced Colorado and Miami, so you got some perspective, and if those are the two places you've narrowed down as places to live, it sounds like CO will be a better fit. (Also, FYI you mentioned you were in Aspen, so maybe you should edit that out, if you want to stay anonymous).

As far as your plan, I think it sounds good, but obviously things don't always work out as we hope. Not to be a buzz kill, but it sounds like it might be hard for you to save $40-50 K after 3-4 years unless you can somehow live rent free, and are frugal as fuck. Personally, I enjoy the good life far too much, (going out to nice restaurants, buying topshelf liquor, high grade herb, nice clothes, etc.) It will be especially hard to save money if you plan on traveling, unless you couch surf, have a free place to stay, eat street food, etc.

Also, as with the plan to buy property in Brazil, I don't know much about real estate there, but I know that typically there is a shit ton of red tape, and hassle for foreigners looking to buy properties abroad. Add to that the reality of having to rent it out, maintain the property, etc. Seems like there is a lot of potential stuff that can go wrong there, unless you got people you trust on the ground in Brazil to help you out.

All in all, I like where you're coming from, it sounds like you're starting to figure this shit out. I'd say just keep your head up and keep striving towards your goals, but be realistic, you don't want to set yourself up for disapointment. If you figure you can pull off the Brazil real estate, you might need to sacrafice a lot to save up the money to do it, but it could be worth it in the long run.

That's my 2 cents, hope it provided some insight.

Thanks for the post. Damn, I knew I was gonna fuck up the whole Aspen thing. I originally posted aspen and tried to go back and edit it out, guess I missed a spot, too late now.

So far I've lived in CA, Vegas, CO, Miami, and Brazil. Brazil would be my first choice but that probably isn't going to happen right now. CO is just where it's at for what I want to do.

As far as the properties in Brazil. I have some close friends out there I know I can trust. $40k in 4 years shouldn't be too far fetched, I saved 10k this year and took 2, week long vacations and a couple short vacations. I'll def. have to get 2 jobs during the summer though. My boy saved over $15k in one summer there. When you work 2 jobs you don't have much time to spend. As far as the foreigner buying property and getting taxed the shit out of is concerned, that shouldn't be a problem by the time I'm ready to get my property. I could be a citizen [Image: wink.gif] But you are absolutely right, it's not gonna be easy, it's gonna be a lot of work, but so will the alternatives, so why not do what's gonna make me happy while I'm working on it ya know?

Inspiring insight though, I appreciate it.

My Epiphany

InternationPlayboy -

Good job on keeping us updated on your story.

I like to hear that you are making progress.

Don't sweat it, when I was your age, I was in tons of trouble with the law and at certain times had very little future prospects. So you are doing better than me at that age.

----

I will play a little "devils advocate" on Mixx's Miami point of view.

He has been there for 15 years. Homeboy is straight up sick of it.

I have been in Southern California beach towns on and off for most of my life. Guess what? I can't stand it.

I have spent over 100 nights in Las Vegas. Guess what? You would need to pay me to go out at night there. (slight exaggeration.)

Miami for me is pretty much the sickest place in America. But that is me.

I break down California Game VS Florida Game for International Playboys here:

http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2011/08/cal...yboys.html

It all depends where you are coming from.

Pretentious? That sh*t doesn't faze me for a second.

High competition in South Florida? Sure. But compared to what I am used to, the place is a cake walk for me.

Snobby? Who cares? I can probably "out-snob" anyone if I want to.

Smoke and mirrors? Hell, I love smoke and mirrors.

I use more smoke than a smokestack and have more mirrors than Han's Place in Enter The Dragon:

Again, if I was in Miami Beach for the last 15 years, I would probably think the exact same way as Mixx. Add to the fact that he has seen the place degrade first hand.

Just like I have seen California degrade first hand.

Internationplayboy said it best with Miami "definitely sucks for gaming unless you have top notch natural skills, money, or look really good"

I don't think Miami is the best place for the young, low on dough player.

I have written Data Sheets for years about what it takes in Miami.

But if you have scratch, have mad Game, and a Bankroll to match, I can't think of a better place to be than Miami in America. Maybe NYC.

Mixx obviously knows what he is talking about. I just wanted to give a different viewpoint.

My Epiphany

Interesting Internationalplayboy.

Anyway, yes i agree with you that MAKING money doesnt buy you happiness, actually i like the way a guy on here puts it ''money is slavery'', however i only see money as slavery when you are going after money and you are constantly looking for ways to make money, but when you have enough money to do whatever you want without having to work, money can be a perfect tool to give you an amazing life.

Also i am a bit shocked when you say that you will buy a house for 40 -50k dollars in Brazil. What part of Brazil are you talking about? I remember years ago i was looking to buy a decent house in nordeste of Brazil and i didnt find anything for less than 100k reais, which is currently more than 40k dollars and thats the north where things are cheaper. Also you say you plan to rent it out for 600-800 dollars a month, it sounds like a perfect deal but for real..what part of Brazil are you talking about?

You also may want to look at changing jobs or calculate your spendings, saving only 10k in 2 years sounds really really bad to me.

The other guy said that saving 40k-50k in 3 to 4 years doesnt sound like a realistic objective, well i think this sounds very reasonable. Matterfact soon as you said this is how much you are going to save in 3-4 years it just sounded really bad to me, i dont really want to say how much i am saving every year but you may be able to do better.

Are you sure you dont want to change jobs? You may want to look at oil industry and try to join it, you will make more money working there and you will also save more because you dont spend much during your working time.

Sometimes i also feel like giving up my job and go travel the world, however i dont like living life with limitations, tons of money can give you total freedom. I am 25 now, i am probably enslaving myself working till i am 27,28, maximum 30 but after that everything becomes easier. I will be able to travel the world and run businesses at the same time. I dont want to be travelling all the time without having any responsibilities, the way i love chasing women is the same way i love opening and running businesses.

Also i think you are 27 and you are looking to be semi-retired by the time you reach 40? You may want to improve your plans, i advise you to speed up the amount of money you saving, try retire years earlier before you become 40 and think more real business investments, i dont see property businesses as a real business or as a road to richness or that this will mean way more income. Can you really see yourself living with 600 to 800 dollars a month?

My Epiphany

Quote: (01-06-2012 02:54 AM)pitt Wrote:  

Interesting Internationalplayboy.

Anyway, yes i agree with you that MAKING money doesnt buy you happiness, actually i like the way a guy on here puts it ''money is slavery'', however i only see money as slavery when you are going after money and you are constantly looking for ways to make money, but when you have enough money to do whatever you want without having to work, money can be a perfect tool to give you an amazing life.

Also i am a bit shocked when you say that you will buy a house for 40 -50k dollars in Brazil. What part of Brazil are you talking about? I remember years ago i was looking to buy a decent house in nordeste of Brazil and i didnt find anything for less than 100k reais, which is currently more than 40k dollars and thats the north where things are cheaper. Also you say you plan to rent it out for 600-800 dollars a month, it sounds like a perfect deal but for real..what part of Brazil are you talking about?

You also may want to look at changing jobs or calculate your spendings, saving only 10k in 2 years sounds really really bad to me.

The other guy said that saving 40k-50k in 3 to 4 years doesnt sound like a realistic objective, well i think this sounds very reasonable. Matterfact soon as you said this is how much you are going to save in 3-4 years it just sounded really bad to me, i dont really want to say how much i am saving every year but you may be able to do better.

Are you sure you dont want to change jobs? You may want to look at oil industry and try to join it, you will make more money working there and you will also save more because you dont spend much during your working time.

Sometimes i also feel like giving up my job and go travel the world, however i dont like living life with limitations, tons of money can give you total freedom. I am 25 now, i am probably enslaving myself working till i am 27,28, maximum 30 but after that everything becomes easier. I will be able to travel the world and run businesses at the same time. I dont want to be travelling all the time without having any responsibilities, the way i love chasing women is the same way i love opening and running businesses.

Also i think you are 27 and you are looking to be semi-retired by the time you reach 40? You may want to improve your plans, i advise you to speed up the amount of money you saving, try retire years earlier before you become 40 and think more real business investments, i dont see property businesses as a real business or as a road to richness or that this will mean way more income. Can you really see yourself living with 600 to 800 dollars a month?

Of coarse, it's nice to have money, but is that all you should be looking for. I mean I know a lot of really rich people, and I also know a lot of really rich people that are miserable. While I was in Aspen I was chillin the whole time in huge mansions, but the way some of those people got their money just isn't worth it. One of my good friends out there for example... Her dad made big bucks, he wrote a will and left his wife out of it. All of a sudden, dude's blow up in a car bombing. 15 years later, FBI finds out it was the girls mom who hired 2 people to blow up the dad. Now she's in jail for life. I'm not saying most rich people have shitty lives, obviously that's not the case, I'm just saying being rich doesn't necissarily make you happy.

I'm sure there are lots of places you can find a place for 40-50k in Brazil. My friend built a house for 30k in Florianopolis. It was only a small one bedroom, but it was right by the beach.

I'm not sure if I miss wrote or if you miss read my post, but what I meant to say was I saved $10k in one year. That's after all the money I spent, but made much more. And I wasn't talking about making 6-800 a month ONLY. I'm saying I'll still work just as hard, but I'll have an additional 6-800 a month income. So maybe I'll make $3k at my job, but then I make an additional 800 off the house. Once I get a second, I make 3k plus 1800 a month, until finally I just have enough to not have to work at all. Maybe that's not gonna be the exact way it's gonna work out, but I don't see investing in a property as really going wrong anywhere.

I do agree though, there can be better ways to make money. That's just what I'm thinking for now though, who knows what I'll be doing in 10 years, but I just know I need to save money now to get something going later.

As far as switching jobs, I'd definitely consider it, but I wouldn't consider working on an oil rig. I need something that's going to pay as good if not better ad something I'll like to do. You say you are 25? If you don't mind me asking, what line of work are you in? I appreciate your input.

My Epiphany

Of coarse, it's nice to have money, but is that all you should be looking for. I mean I know a lot of really rich people, and I also know a lot of really rich people that are miserable. While I was in Aspen I was chillin the whole time in huge mansions, but the way some of those people got their money just isn't worth it. One of my good friends out there for example... Her dad made big bucks, he wrote a will and left his wife out of it. All of a sudden, dude's blow up in a car bombing. 15 years later, FBI finds out it was the girls mom who hired 2 people to blow up the dad. Now she's in jail for life. I'm not saying most rich people have shitty lives, obviously that's not the case, I'm just saying being rich doesn't necissarily make you happy.

I'm sure there are lots of places you can find a place for 40-50k in Brazil. My friend built a house for 30k in Florianopolis. It was only a small one bedroom, but it was right by the beach.

I'm not sure if I miss wrote or if you miss read my post, but what I meant to say was I saved $10k in one year. That's after all the money I spent, but made much more. And I wasn't talking about making 6-800 a month ONLY. I'm saying I'll still work just as hard, but I'll have an additional 6-800 a month income. So maybe I'll make $3k at my job, but then I make an additional 800 off the house. Once I get a second, I make 3k plus 1800 a month, until finally I just have enough to not have to work at all. Maybe that's not gonna be the exact way it's gonna work out, but I don't see investing in a property as really going wrong anywhere.

I do agree though, there can be better ways to make money. That's just what I'm thinking for now though, who knows what I'll be doing in 10 years, but I just know I need to save money now to get something going later.

As far as switching jobs, I'd definitely consider it, but I wouldn't consider working on an oil rig. I need something that's going to pay as good if not better ad something I'll like to do. You say you are 25? If you don't mind me asking, what line of work are you in? I appreciate your input.

My Epiphany

I'm 27 and need to figure out what I'm doing with my life because I really don't know and have no long term plan. I work for 6-8 months, travel for 6 months and then come back home broke and have to look for a job all over again. Great when on the road but not so great when at home, broke and jobless. Need something more sustainable and long term. Time to figure that out.

My Epiphany

Quote: (01-05-2012 10:19 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

I should have at least $40-50k saved, which gives me enough money to buy a property in Brazil. If I buy this property, I should be able to rent it out for at least 6-800 a month. Now I have a little more cash flow coming in. Repeat, do the same and buy another property in 3-4 years. After my second house, I'm gonna be making an additional $10-15k a year, which will speed up the process of buying more properties as long as I keep working hard. I realize you'd usually get taxed out the ass being a foreigner, but I'm gonna have that taken care of. At this rate I should be semi retired by 40 bringing in around 4k a month if not more

You better forget about this now. If there was an asset for 40k that produced income of 7-9k (12months x 600-800) do you think the Brazilians would not buy it themselves, instead of inviting the gringos to share in the spoils?
Nowhere in the world are the returns from real estate that high.

I own a beach house just 300 miles from my city, not 3000 miles. And it is still a big hassle. It only rents well during the several months of active season. And it needs to be repainted, leaking toilets fixed, water heater replaced, a ton of other bullshit. Not to mention the bills for property tax, electricity, and other utilities. And imagine getting a call from your neighbor that your basement is flooded - how will you drain it from Miami? Of course, you can have a property manager taking care of this shit for you, but what will he charge and can you trust him not to overcharge you just for being a Gringo who can't file a complaint with the local Brasilian Better Business Bureau that only works in Portuguese (even if there is one)?

Just trying to save you from a lot of disappointments.

My Epiphany

I agree in sentiment that money doesn't buy happiness, but in the United States you need it because of our joke of a health care system. Most other countries I've been to cover health care for their residents, but in the US even if you have health care you could go bankrupt and have your life turned upside down with an unlucky disease. I didn't worry about this in my 20s, but I'm not getting any younger. For the aging players (40 and above), affordable health care in a place with nice women will top their list of needs.

I think the American system is a happiness suck. Unless you have money, you'll be stressed and one illness away from total ruin.

My Epiphany

Quote: (01-06-2012 03:54 AM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

Take in mind what k-man just said, because i dont really see your plan about buying a house in Brazil as being a realistic one.

I am working in the oil industry but they paying me shit money as a trainee, im probably making less than you, but im pretty good with businesses so i have businesses that generate me good money every month, so im saving good money every month. I dont really talk about what type of businesses i am running unless i am going to benefit from this.

You value freedom and thats pretty good but you may want to make serious adjustments to your plans, even if it involves working more for now, going through a ''slave stage'', where you have to sacrifice some of your freedom for now but later in life you will have more money combined with more freedom.

Your philosophy about money is killing me. You are clearly associating money with evil which is wrong. Your example about your friends mum was really poor..really...the fact of some people killing other people over money doesnt mean that going after money is an evil thing or that you have to do evil things in order to get money. I dont know about you but as i get older and i have more money to do the things i like, i feel happier. I dont want to be 45 and still finding ways to make money, you want to sort out your life as early as possible so you have the time to do the things you really like. I dont know how much travelling you have done so far, i have travelled way too much from 16 till the age of 24, fucked tons of hot women and i got to a stage where i think having money in the bank is more important than being after women or even chilling with friends, if freedom is what you are looking for at the moment, then you may want to do more travelling, but do you really want to do lots of travelling now and then go back to zero and start all over again and live a frugal life? Look for a job, travel and stay at cheap hostels, choose where you are going to eat, etc

I want to have a life where i do whatever i want to do, stay where i want to stay, really, i want to have a life with a high number of choices and money equates choices.

There are guys on here who are in their 30s and wished their travelled less in their 20s because they are still struggling in their 30s, but they could be chilling in their 30s if they spent their 20s working hard. The rich people who are miserable with their lives, would probably be miserable if they were poor, some people were not made to be happy, regardless of being rich or poor, they just dont know how to enjoy life.

I wont lie to you, i was happier when i was travelling comparing to right now where i have to be constantly after money but i know it will pay later, you gotta sacrifice in order to live a great life.

My Epiphany

Quote: (01-06-2012 07:01 AM)K-man Wrote:  

I should have at least $40-50k saved, which gives me enough money to buy a property in Brazil. If I buy this property, I should be able to rent it out for at least 6-800 a month. Now I have a little more cash flow coming in. Repeat, do the same and buy another property in 3-4 years. After my second house, I'm gonna be making an additional $10-15k a year, which will speed up the process of buying more properties as long as I keep working hard. I realize you'd usually get taxed out the ass being a foreigner, but I'm gonna have that taken care of. At this rate I should be semi retired by 40 bringing in around 4k a month if not more

You better forget about this now. If there was an asset for 40k that produced income of 7-9k (12months x 600-800) do you think the Brazilians would not buy it themselves, instead of inviting the gringos to share in the spoils?

I own a beach house just 300 miles from my city, not 3000 miles. And it is still a big hassle. It only rents well during the several months of active season. And it needs to be repainted, leaking toilets fixed, water heater replaced, a ton of other bullshit. Not to mention the bills for property tax, electricity, and other utilities. And imagine getting a call from your neighbor that your basement is flooded - how will you drain it from Miami? Of course, you can have a property manager taking care of this shit for you, but what will he charge and can you trust him not to overcharge you just for being a Gringo who can't file a complaint with the local Brasilian Better Business Bureau that only works in Portuguese (even if there is one)?

Ha. I didn't see those numbers.

Yeah, they seem a little fishy.

In Southern California a place costing $250,000 to $350,000 might rent for $1000 to 1800 per month now.

I would be surprised that you could get a place in Brazil for 40k right on the beach and rent it for $800 per month.

What beachtown is this in?

Also, listen to K-man.

He is a guy that actually owns a second property, not some guy who talks a big real estate game yet doesn't even own a tent.

My Epiphany

Quote: (01-06-2012 10:25 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote: (01-06-2012 07:01 AM)K-man Wrote:  

Ha. I didn't see those numbers.

Yeah, they seem a little fishy.

In Southern California a place costing $250,000 to $350,000 might rent for $1000 to 1800 per month now.

I would be surprised that you could get a place in Brazil for 40k right on the beach and rent it for $800 per month.

What beachtown is this in?

Also, listen to K-man.

He is a guy that actually owns a second property, not some guy who talks a big real estate game yet doesn't even own a tent.

I've posted this excellent article before about how even the top 1% has considerable financial worries.

http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/pow...nager.html

My Epiphany

You can def by property in Brazil and Colombia for 50K. Might not be exactly on the beach but within reasonable distance.

Id much more be concerned about the property management.

I plan on doing the reverse. Rent out in the US where my family and friends can help manage while im living abroad.

My Epiphany

@ Roosh, I know what you mean first hand about the medical situation. I owe tons of money in hospital bills. Our health care system is a joke. The only good thing about it is we have top notch care and we get the care fast. Even Canada it can take you days to see a doctor. One of my friends had a snowboard injury to where he was almost paralyzed and had to wait days to see a doctor.

As far as the properties are concerned, you can definitely buy places for $40-50k in Brazil, even in Florianopolis. Like I said, my friend built a one bedroom just blocks from the beach for R$60k, which is less than 40k. That was a couple years ago, it might be a little more expensive now. I'm not positive on what you would get for rent for something like that, but I'd imagine it would be more than $600 a month. Either way, maybe the property thing won't work as well as I thought, but I'll figure something out. Right now my goal is to just get back to where I wanna be. I arrived in Miami this morning and have never hated it so much. Alls I can think about is going back. I was looking in the classifieds today in Aspen thinking if I found something I would hop on the next plane. I appreciate the input though, and ya'll might be right, it might not be as easy as I thought. I still have a long time to think about what I want to invest in.

My Epiphany

Granted, I'm comparing Miami to one of the worst cities in DC, but every time I'm there women are much much better looking, the ratios are 100x better, and they are borderline friendlier.

I was in Ft Laud for NYE and right before midnight a solid 9 come right up to me. I kissed her 5 minutes later. In DC hot girls approaching me is rare (ugly girls do approach a lot though).

I feel like the ratios and abundance of hot women make hot women more personable. They're not hot shit in Miami like they are in DC.

Maybe people are superficial though.. I'm lucky to be tall, well dressed, and good looking.