rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Change to forum registration

Last month the forum got over 900,000 page views. While the growth is nice, I'm having to ban several new members a day. They're being too disruptive.

I've decided to try something new. Registration will only be open one day every month (on the first). It will weed out those who are not committed to being a member of our community. I think the quality of content we have is high, so we can take a chance and limit the number of new guys coming in.

I just see a real threat to the forum because of these subtle trolls who have different belief systems. Let's try it out for a couple months and see how it goes. I don't want this to turn into an elitist forum, but something has to be done.

Sounds like a fair experiment.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

This could limit the flow of info.

There has been some really good post by newbs lately. China comes to mind.

Id just restrict thread posting abilities until you reach a certain number of posts or rep points / contributions.

Also could have some more moderators to help keep the forum in check.

Good plan. This is the biggest danger of becoming more popular, the S/N ratio starts to go down, and it discourages participation.

That's it..I'm moving to blackassfest.com/forum [Image: lol.gif]

jk, good idea.

Mixx

This is a great idea. I think the flow of newbies is good but, besides being trolls themselves sometimes, they create other, subtler problems:

1. Constantly Feeding Trolls and Low-Quality or Dupe Threads. This is, to me, the biggest of the problems. Because today's newbie isn't working as hard as older members, otherwise well-intentioned ones don't have a clue that a topic's been covered 11 times in the past three months, so they jump all over dupe threads. They also don't have the ability to discern a real plea for help from another Indian Race Troll or One-Ism Troll (write-up on this variety forthcoming) trying, for instance, to figure out if he's "attractive enough" for this one girl. If something is straight-up retarded, I tend to just ignore it or flag it as such, but I invariably see that seven newbies have already answered (fed) it. Newbies aren't following the suggestion in the original rules, of lurking for a while, so they don't understand the culture of the forum--what's tolerated or expected.

2. Hitting and Running. Not Committed to the Forum. A lot of these newbies are coming in and getting an answer to their (simple or uninteresting) question--creating a new thread toward that process--and just taking off, without ever really contributing. While this is part of the forum's mission, I believe, this creates a situation where people that aren't committed to the forum's goals are diluting the pool of quality threads. The balance between givers and takers gets skewed too much. I'm starting to think that this is discouraging other, longer-standing members. I don't know if this is the reason, but the G-Manifesto--a member since jump street, with one of the highest rep and post counts--hasn't been around here for like six weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if other members who have gone silent are being influenced by this dilution process.

3. Doing Random Obnoxious Shit. All sort of other behavior that isn't part of what we do here is becoming more common--what Roosh tried to address in the "cool" and "don't be a dick" rules. Newbies with a post count of 6 are coming in big-baller and telling others to "shut the fuck up," or guys are coming in and semi-spamming their products or blogs. Newbs are coming in and telling long, drawn-out stories announcing their arrivals on the scene and detailing their journeys here.

This rule should help toward adding new members, but members who are: (1) committed to the forum; and (2) aren't just impulsively asking a question in the midst of a crazed fit of one-ism. We aren't in the business of curing psychological problems or helping guys "get the girl." This should do wonders toward reducing trolls to a trickle.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

This is a great idea.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Yep. I like this

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Great move Roosh, this is best Forum I've ever been , I don't want to see it ruined in the future.

Chicks need to be on rotation like a Netflix queue

I've never seen that on another forum before, though I don't read any so well moderated. Cool and fair rule.

Quote: (12-11-2011 09:24 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

I've decided to try something new. Registration will only be open one day every month (on the first).

Great idea. But shouldn't it be more frequent, like once a week instead of once a month?

Game is a necessary evil

There is no way to view attachments if you are not registered.

I'm pretty sure there's plenty of people who have no initial interest in registering, but do so just so to be able to view attachments (e.g. myself).

But then, once already registered, the troll takes over and they start littering the forum.

In short: allow attachment viewing to unregistered users and many of those non contributing users won't even bother to register.

Great idea.

Plus, people should lurk before posting.

I've seen two other fora (that I no longer visit/contribute to) go to hell because here is how young guys think: I have a question. I'm special! Answer my question!

It doesn't occur to them that the issue has been discussed.

Thus, new guys who do not first lurk are almost always low value contributors who only care about getting attention to their "unique" problems.

I think Tuthmosis nailed it with problem no. 1.

For these threads we should just refer to the searcg function or not reply at all.

[Image: thumb.gif]

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

I don't even think newbies should be allowed to post threads. They're posting shit involving one girl they're trying to get and topics that have been covered 5 times.

Quote:Quote:

In short: allow attachment viewing to unregistered users and many of those non contributing users won't even bother to register.

We don't care if you register or not. Like Tuth mentioned in his post, it's starting the low-quality, dupe threads that are being disruptive.

Hello.

Congrats on the success of the forum. I know it is bitter/sweat type of thing. You may want to ask some people you trust to help out with the mod stuff. I think the forum will continue to grow and you will need some help.

Quote:Quote:

There is no way to view attachments if you are not registered.

That was an overlooked setting. They can now.

I used to post on a body building forum a few years back. Their method of dealing with low quality members/content, besides the obvious moderation stuff, was to use a weighted rep system in which senior members had enormous clout/power...for example, if some newb joined and gave you "+1rep" in their system, it would count very little toward your overall reputation in comparison to a "+1rep" from the Roidhead in Chief. So, the effect of a positive recommendation was scaled according to the reputation of the person making it.

Internations requires a written paragraph to explain why they would be beneficial to the community. This might be use to ours. If someone isn't willing to put the effort into a thoughtful paragraph for admittance I doubt they will do the same in their posts. Just a thought.

Some of us older dudes are not super teckie and would pass this by with rules that we do not understand....I have tried to post on the DR1 forum and have not been able to and can not understand why.....I may have something to add and... Couldn't figure out why even though I tried and have lost interest to....soooo?

Edit: A million a month? Wow!

If you're still having trouble after this rule, you might want to require a minimum number of posts before one can create threads, say 10 or 25.

Thumbs up, Roosh.

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

Quote: (12-11-2011 07:11 PM)houston Wrote:  

I don't even think newbies should be allowed to post threads. They're posting shit involving one girl they're trying to get and topics that have been covered 5 times.

Quote: (12-12-2011 02:33 AM)basilransom Wrote:  

If you're still having trouble after this rule, you might want to require a minimum number of posts before one can create threads, say 10 or 25.

I agree with this line of thought in principle, however one can quickly rack up a large post count in a matter of hours (as a recent new member has shown.) I would suggest having to wait, say, one month before you can post a new thread and possibly combine that with a minimum number of posts.

Quote: (12-12-2011 12:25 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Internations requires a written paragraph to explain why they would be beneficial to the community. This might be use to ours. If someone isn't willing to put the effort into a thoughtful paragraph for admittance I doubt they will do the same in their posts. Just a thought.

This was my first thought as well. If you can't coherently explicate in a sentence or two why you want to join then you probably shouldn't be here.

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?