rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

People with experience, is late 20s good for long term travelling (gap year)?

Trying to enjoy life a little more, but feels that I might miss out on some things back in home like finding a girlfriend before I hit 30. Don't know if this is in my head or not.

Roosh did his trip at 27 I think, is that a good age for doing it?

Yes. If you don't do it now, you never will. Plus, traveling in your 30s will be a different experience to in your 20s. Nothing will change back home. You may even find a girlfriend on the road.

When I was 26 I was at a crossroads in my life. I had a lot of savings and a decision to make: buy a house and settle down or quit my job and buy a one way ticket. I chose the latter and don't regret it for a second.

I can't speak for you, but if you feel like you want to do it, then do it. Don't ignore that nagging feeling of "what if". You can always return home if it turns out it's not for you.

Go

I went when I was 28. Life changing experience

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

I just got back from a gap year if you want to call it that, although technically it wasn't in the definitional sense. I'm a bit younger (22), but I think the insights I gained can also apply to you:

-I was a timid person in a lot of ways, really bookish even though I've always been somewhat self-confident. Some of my friends that I've had for years tell me I've completely changed now. Simply, that was the result of me entering new environments, getting good at meeting people, and having a fun time. Travel/ gap year did that for me.

-I used to care about being politically correct but now I don't. I used to give a fuck about the news, but now I don't. When I was on gap year, I decided what really mattered in my life, and I've never looked back since then. You figure out quickly what you want in your life when you have complete freedom. I don't want to say I became a minimalist, but that's basically what it did for me. I don't give a fuck about what people wear now, whether they have iphones, etc. It ultimately doesn't matter. I don't consume any news media on a daily basis, and I don't let pop culture pollute my mind (other than watching WorldStar videos). This has been liberating. I really don't care if I offend people anymore because life is short..

-I am a lot more about living in the moment; I used to be very meticulous about planning shit out, but now I just enjoy the natural moments that happen in life. I guess that's a part of living in hostels, you really start to welcome spontaneity.

-There's new people everyday, so you can play with your "best" personality. It helped me a lot, this opportunity. You can become your ideal you.

I could go on all day, but the sooner you do the gap year, the better.

I don't at all regret doing a gap year, in spite of missed money earning opportunities, work advancement opportunities. It's all some big scam to make us work anyway.

I'm in a pretty good spot to advise on this as someone who has done the "gap year" in their late 20s and also in their 30s.

Basically the things to consider for mine are the following when making the decision...

1. Career - This is the single biggest factor, imo. If you're in a job where taking a year off will set you back a decade then you have to really question the idea, especially if it's a job where the late 20s will set you up and you will still have the opportunities to travel in a few years time. If the career isn't a factor then you're good. If you're going to lose that decade regardless then I you're probably doing it now and busting your gut to try and claw what you can of that back in the future.

2. Under/Over 30 Differences:
- Tours/Hostels/Events with age limits - There are many out there with an upper age limit, normally it's around 35. Obviously if you wait too long this comes into play.
- Girls - Haven't noticed a big difference here to be honest, those with the age stigma generally don't see a big difference between say 28 and 33 anyway, once you're older, you're older but for the most part once you get them away from their social circles and societal pressure to conform, the age gap actually goes out the window anyway. My average age of girl at 28 and 33 would both have been around the 23 mark and it didn't take anything extra special or effort wise.
- Guys - Simply don't care. It's the old dickhead test with the vast majority of them, if you're a decent guy, they'll be cool.
- Activities - Depending on your health, may be no difference but as someone who is a lot more banged up now than I was then there are certain things I don't do for the sake of the body that I wouldn't have hesitated about before.
- Locals - Depends on the country and where you plan to go but I do think that certain places you actually get more respect being older.

3. Finances - Will waiting make this side of things better? I wouldn't recommend going into debt to finance it so if that's a decision then getting more finances behind you is probably a reason to wait.

4. Girlfriend - Honestly, you're just as likely to find one traveling, given you want to do this rather than slave away at a job, you'll probably find one with better aligned life goals as well. I wouldn't factor this in at all personally as I feel like avoiding self improvement (which is the primary reason to travel) to try and settle down is the opposite to my personal approach.

Really those are the major factors for mine, as you can probably (hopefully) tell I don't think there is a huge difference between the two but I'd go earlier if it's viable because that always leaves time to do it again which gets me to the biggest factor...

Long term travel will change you. It's different for a lot of people, I personally came back to my career and within a week back in an office I realised that I was already planning the next trip as that corporate slavery just isn't for me so I set about getting things in place to do it again and longer (permanent still the aim...). Personally I got a greater appreciation for "life is short" and how great the world is and how amazing so many things are and that the idea of working a 9-5 so I could buy a bigger TV, more expensive clothes, a more expensive car, etc, etc just irked me when I could spend that money on a week in x or a month in y, I basically started measuring how much things cost back home in "how many weeks on the road that is". A big night out back home was easily avoided by the logic that it was an extra month of travel. You really do realise how bad the consumerism lifestyle is, or at least I did, and how much better experiences are, the stories and adventures make you a much more interesting person (imo at least), when you go home you'll notice that everyone just gravitates towards you more as you're just far more interesting and varied.

So yeah... as long as you're not throwing your career out the window and sacrificing the rest of your life, go for it, I'd be shocked if you don't grow and develop and have a great time, don't know many people who come back from long travel and hate it. Hell most of the people just hate that they're not going to do it again.

It's a good idea, but it's all a question of your bankroll, or, your larger career ambitions.

Yes, my experience is that travel and meeting new people is more fun when you are younger and less experienced/more naive and I would rather have done it than stay home and begun paying off a mortgage at that age. If you're single and feel your life is missing something, it's best to scratch that itch, because there's going to be no better time to do it. As was said, you can always come home at any point.

One year is a short period of time and will go quickly. However, if you stay for a longer period (say, over 2 years), and work overseas into your early/mid 30's, you may find it more difficult to get some of the things than your peers/friends who stayed home, and the other place (if you stay in one place) becomes more like home; i.e. it can be harder to adjust again. But turning 30 is not as big a deal as you think, you'll still be relatively young, it's more mid 30's things start to change...

If you have a career, try and combine working for a period and taking holidays from the city in which you're based. Overseas experience is often seen as valuable by employers and will at least make you stand out on your resume.

I'm mid 30's and doing long time traveling. Really no age for it, as long as you look decently young (even then) and are thirsty enough for it.

As a man, you have time to settle down really. Especially if you take care of yourself.

Quote: (01-12-2019 01:14 AM)Mentavious Wrote:  

I went when I was 28. Life changing experience

For the better?

Quote: (01-12-2019 03:26 AM)JimBobsCooters Wrote:  

I'm in a pretty good spot to advise on this as someone who has done the "gap year" in their late 20s and also in their 30s.

Basically the things to consider for mine are the following when making the decision...

1. Career - This is the single biggest factor, imo. If you're in a job where taking a year off will set you back a decade then you have to really question the idea, especially if it's a job where the late 20s will set you up and you will still have the opportunities to travel in a few years time. If the career isn't a factor then you're good. If you're going to lose that decade regardless then I you're probably doing it now and busting your gut to try and claw what you can of that back in the future.

2. Under/Over 30 Differences:
- Tours/Hostels/Events with age limits - There are many out there with an upper age limit, normally it's around 35. Obviously if you wait too long this comes into play.
- Girls - Haven't noticed a big difference here to be honest, those with the age stigma generally don't see a big difference between say 28 and 33 anyway, once you're older, you're older but for the most part once you get them away from their social circles and societal pressure to conform, the age gap actually goes out the window anyway. My average age of girl at 28 and 33 would both have been around the 23 mark and it didn't take anything extra special or effort wise.
- Guys - Simply don't care. It's the old dickhead test with the vast majority of them, if you're a decent guy, they'll be cool.
- Activities - Depending on your health, may be no difference but as someone who is a lot more banged up now than I was then there are certain things I don't do for the sake of the body that I wouldn't have hesitated about before.
- Locals - Depends on the country and where you plan to go but I do think that certain places you actually get more respect being older.

3. Finances - Will waiting make this side of things better? I wouldn't recommend going into debt to finance it so if that's a decision then getting more finances behind you is probably a reason to wait.

4. Girlfriend - Honestly, you're just as likely to find one traveling, given you want to do this rather than slave away at a job, you'll probably find one with better aligned life goals as well. I wouldn't factor this in at all personally as I feel like avoiding self improvement (which is the primary reason to travel) to try and settle down is the opposite to my personal approach.

Really those are the major factors for mine, as you can probably (hopefully) tell I don't think there is a huge difference between the two but I'd go earlier if it's viable because that always leaves time to do it again which gets me to the biggest factor...

Long term travel will change you. It's different for a lot of people, I personally came back to my career and within a week back in an office I realised that I was already planning the next trip as that corporate slavery just isn't for me so I set about getting things in place to do it again and longer (permanent still the aim...). Personally I got a greater appreciation for "life is short" and how great the world is and how amazing so many things are and that the idea of working a 9-5 so I could buy a bigger TV, more expensive clothes, a more expensive car, etc, etc just irked me when I could spend that money on a week in x or a month in y, I basically started measuring how much things cost back home in "how many weeks on the road that is". A big night out back home was easily avoided by the logic that it was an extra month of travel. You really do realise how bad the consumerism lifestyle is, or at least I did, and how much better experiences are, the stories and adventures make you a much more interesting person (imo at least), when you go home you'll notice that everyone just gravitates towards you more as you're just far more interesting and varied.

So yeah... as long as you're not throwing your career out the window and sacrificing the rest of your life, go for it, I'd be shocked if you don't grow and develop and have a great time, don't know many people who come back from long travel and hate it. Hell most of the people just hate that they're not going to do it again.

1 - This is clearly not a factor to me, as I've hated all jobs I've had and wanted to start my own business since I can remember, already tried 2 different ones that failed, but Im willing to try a new one. If not I just go back and try to get a simple job with good hours and without much stress and that's it.

2 - I feel like I need to do this before it 30, but I'm not rushing, after 30 I think I will continue to go to hostels but just do small vacations as the longer ones take much energy.

3 - I have some money saved for about 1 year of travelling on the cheap.

4 - This is definitely the biggest point for me. I still want to enjoy all that young sex and adventures, but I feel the window is closing and want to find a girl to settle down eventually and hopefully have kids, not now but eventually in the future.

I feel that I will be skipping some chances going abroad on a adventure but I really want to visit some countries and have some experiences at the age I am.

So, resuming all this.

In terms of career, I never liked any job I had, never wanted to work for anyone else, always want to start my own business but the first 2 side businesses failed, I actually also want to travel to be inspired to do any business or having business ideas but mostly for adventure and meeting people (specially women).

Also, in my country, you either born rich or you work like 12 hours a day in order to gain a good salary, I dont want to enslave myself so 12 hours jobs like the first one I had are out of question, that leaves me with some xity ones with normal hours but that will never get me nowhere, so either one or the other Im off, I prefer to bet it all in my business.

Finding a girl is probably the thing it scares me more, I could never know if some girl will appear out of the blue or not. That's whats holding me back to be honest.

Do it, do it now- go experience the world before you get old and have to be responsible. Go now!

Delicious Tacos is the voice of my generation....

Go. Don't overthink it. Just buy your plane ticket, reserve your hotel/apartment, and budget for however long you plan to be gone.

I have never regretted leaving the US when I was 18 and staying gone for years. I still don't want to settle in the US because I know what else is out there.

I spent most of my 20's traveling.
I was lucky to work small projects that I could up and take off at the end with good $$.
Make sure you try to see some cool shit too.

Zero regrets.

I did it at 25 and I’m planning on doing it again soon at age 34. I hope to do it throughout my life forever. At 25 I bought a one way ticket to London with absolutely no itinerary and never looked back. Take the plunge bro. You only live once.

Man up and take the adventure on.

Taking the travel pill is much like taking the red pill. Once you do it there is no looking back, and you will likely never be able to see your home country and work life in the same light again. If you have any plans of a future career it will definitely derail it, but that's not really a bad thing. After traveling, you start to see work more for what it really is... just a means to an end. Money to pay for the next adventure.

I went on my first long term trip at 23 after college. Never used my degree once since.

Anyway, I say go now. The whole world is out there waiting.

Quote: (01-12-2019 03:56 PM)pk9090 Wrote:  

snip

Finding a girl is probably the thing it scares me more, I could never know if some girl will appear out of the blue or not. That's whats holding me back to be honest.

If this is what is holding you back then just get on the bus or plane and go. You're just as likely, if not more likely, to meet a girl traveling than you are grinding away at home.

Think about it, what are you actively doing at home to meet this girlfriend? Hitting a bar on the weekend? Relying on your social circle that will continue to shrink as you age? Tinder?

In comparison when you travel you'll probably be hitting bars several times a week, that's an upgrade. You'll have a constantly changing and evolving social circle as people come and go, sure your social proof will also ebb and flow but a bigger market is generally going to be better. Tinder still exists. Throw in that you'll be doing tours, adventures, treks, whatever with a group of like minded people and spending a day basically on a "speed date" type situation doing something that you mutually enjoy. Even the days you do nothing will normally be spent in the social areas of the hostel or the pool or the beach with others.

Finding a girlfriend is more of a reason to go than to stay and it's not even close, imo. Once you hit your late 20s the opportunities for meeting a girl in your own city rapidly diminish, the social circle you're in is going to rapidly shrink, everyone starts getting married, having kids, getting a mortgage and all that fun adult stuff and the single friend gets forgotten by many of them.

From what you've written I only see one reason to stay and that would be to build a business if an opportunity is sitting right there and the travel cash would fund it. Otherwise just buy a ticket somewhere and get gone.

Not only are you more likely to find a girl traveling but you will sharpen your screening for a girlfriend back home after meeting and dating many women from different cultures. This is assuming you don't travel like most loser backpackers who just hang out with other westerners and live life as close to living back home as they can.

Age doesn't matter, but your finances and where you are in life do.

I left USA at 26. I'm now 30 in a few days.

It was worth it for me. I absolutely detested the life I had back home. Immature? maybe, but I don't see any value in toughing it out in a situation that you do not need to be in.

I have no kids, no wife, no property and my career prospects were less-than-stellar so I figured I'd be better off leaving and see what's out there. Life's not perfect, but at least I'm not stuck in a situation I didn't choose.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Quote: (01-13-2019 02:00 AM)Fortis Wrote:  

I left USA at 26. I'm now 30 in a few days.

It was worth it for me. I absolutely detested the life I had back home. Immature? maybe, but I don't see any value in toughing it out in a situation that you do not need to be in.

I have no kids, no wife, no property and my career prospects were less-than-stellar so I figured I'd be better off leaving and see what's out there. Life's not perfect, but at least I'm not stuck in a situation I didn't choose.

Happy Birthday in a few days

Less thinking, more doing. Take the adventure head on man!!

I left and have been rewarded with such an amazing life. Because of the type I am, I would have been absolutely miserable staying home fulfilling the recipe for a successful life society made for me back home. Luckily I was brave enough to say fuck it and go.

Buy the ticket, say goodbye to the old you and conquer the fucking world bro

Do it.
Quote:Quote:

He fell in love with Gertrude Watt, the sister of a Cambridge classmate, but her stepfather disapproved of the match; while Grogan came from a respectable family, his own life had little to recommend it. He proposed becoming the first man to make the Cape-to-Cairo journey; the stepfather agreed that this would be a suitable test of his character and seriousness.

He then commenced his expedition from Cape Town to Cairo at the age of 24, reaching Cairo in 1900, after two and a half years of travelling. He had been stalked by lions, hippos, and crocodiles, pursued by headhunters and cannibals, plagued by parasites and fevers. He returned home a popular sensation. He was made a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and met Queen Victoria. In four months of effort, Grogan wrote about his journey in From the Cape to Cairo; the first traverse of Africa from south to north (1902). Capping his success, he married Gertrude.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewart_Grogan

Do it and know that there's a "risk" that the "real you" will come out. This experience will probably change your perception of yourself, your friends, your hometown etc. I travelled and worked abroad for about 6 months. When I came back I was dancing at the airport, despite being disappointed I had to go back, but I was in a perpetual good mood. My confidence skyrocketed and I got what some call a "reverse culture shock". I simply could no longer envision myself living in my home country, speaking nothing but my first language every single day, working for a good salary and cars as compensation instead of the beach and generally happier people as compensation.

Sometimes I actually wish I didn't know what I know now. That way I'd just be materialistic with no desire to travel, just like in my early 20s.