rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Houston Money vs. NYC Startup vs. Expat SE Asia

Guys, I have a decision to make.

Job Decision
I have some job opportunities coming up. I work in software sales but have lined up 3 main opportunities to be a better fit and higher paying than my current role.
- Job A = is a great software company with field account management position in Houston. I would make more money than I ever have, transition into a great fit role (although it is Account Management and not sales for new logos, so that is different) and it would be very easy and comfortable. I would travel domestically in the region.
- Job B = NYC startup that is focusing on Latin America. They need someone who has lived/worked in the region and speaks Spanish, I would occasionally travel. I would make 20-30% more than Job A but net less because the cost of living in NYC.
- Job C = Expat job in SE Asia that needs someone with two languages I speak (one of which is rare) and travel to these regions (one of which is not fun or good for girls). I would only do this if I lived in Malaysia or Singapore, maybe Philippines. Thailand could be possible. Indonesia or Vietnam are probably no go's.

Job A Pros/Cons
- Pros: Money short-term, easy move, great for career, great company. I will have more free time to do photography, can easily get solid apartment in good location to run game nearby/to do photoshoots with girls and bang. These guys invited me to lunch after doing my reference check so I should be getting an offer. This is basically a sure thing and I will get this offer before the others. This would provide me a good financial foundation to eventually switch to travel photo/video career.
- Cons: Not the best for girls but not bad. Not good for photos/videos. Not utilizing my full skillset with international experience/languages, industry that I don't care about, in great city but I don't love it

Job B Pros/Cons
- Pros: NYC, girls are most diverse/best in world (I'm also into curvier latinas/black girls also), selling solution that I'm passionate about, fulfilling job responsibilities (using my Spanish) and traveling to Latin America, future (international) job opportunities, good international flights, startup company has potential and this will give me good experience either way (I will learn more at this 50-70 person startup than the 1,000 person company at Job A)
- Cons: Will not net as much money as job A, startup will be hard work/high risk (but high reward), not sure if I will get offer or get it at same time as Job A offer.

Job C Pros/Cons
- Pros: Get to use my international skills to the fullest (can't possibly be a better fit), international travel to West Asia, Southeast Asia, North Africa, expat package (maybe lower compensation than Job A but my apartment, car, etc. all paid for in cheap country). I used to live/work in all these regions so I know people, speak the languages, know how these countries work. I have been told I'm a "very strong" candidate and there are multiple positions anyways. Amazing photo/video opportunities.
- Cons: Unknown company, not sure where I'll be living yet, girl/game improvement situation is questionable (I could get laid even more possibly but that's not improving game), job not in software, not sure I have job yet. I would prefer to live in Latin America again. Due to timing, I will get this offer last, after Job A and B. This would be risky to pass up other offers.

My priority for this year was 1) Making/Saving Money; 2) Improving Game; 3) Improving my Photography/Videography
- Money: In grand scheme of things, all kind of equal.
- Improving Game: NYC provides walkable/high-density areas, tons of quality girls and I will be around those NYC direct game pimps to learn from. Logistics are great.
- Photo/Video: Houston would be worst unless I can take vacays to Carribean/LATAM often, NYC has good opportunities for urban scenes or models to shoot, SE Asia would be best for travel videos

What should I do? Do I pass up Job A (sure money) and hold out for dream roles? I could accept Job A first and quit quickly if I get other offers.

Congrats on the opportunities man. A couple of questions that may gice us a little more perspective: How old are you and have you lived abroad for over 6 months at a time?

Quote: (07-07-2018 01:44 PM)texas Wrote:  

Congrats on the opportunities man. A couple of questions that may gice us a little more perspective: How old are you and have you lived abroad for over 6 months at a time?

Thanks for the reply man.

I am 32. I am in great shape and can get bangs with college age girls still. My game has been typically online/Tinder type stuff though, my cold approach/day game is non-existent. I don't care about notches anymore, I want to improve my actual game.

I was born abroad and have lived as an expat for 20+ years in 5 countries (3 of those as an adult). I lived in SE Asia for 1 yr and have lived in Colombia for about eight months total (spread across many work trips and a 2 month personal trip). I have traveled to 30 countries. SE Asia would be fun -- but I've kinda already done it -- and the girl quality situation is not the best (even though it is super easy to get notches there). I would prefer to work/live in Latin America over SE Asia.

I have never lived in NYC but after visits and consultations with family/friends who live/have lived there, I am aware of the pros and cons. I used to live in a city in a fucked up country with with 25M+ ppl for 3 years and I do prefer that type of 24/7 energy. NYC would be much more clean and organized by comparison.

It sounds like you have more pros and less cons for NYC compared to the othes.

Job B without a doubt.

1. You are passionate about the product. Big deal in sales for getting through the grind; especially a start-up.

2. You can build industry contacts in Latin America; super important if you are serious about moving their one day. You can also build contacts in NYC; insane amounts of money, power, influence, and opportunities in NYC. Even if this start up craps out, you will very likely have other options available via your new network. One solid contact could change your life; more likely to happen in NYC. Most venture capital is confined to the Bay Area and NYC; no one gives a shit about Houston (a little money floats to Austin, though) and this will limit your future opportunities.

3. NYC is bar none, the best place in the US (and one of the best in the world) for banging 6+'s forever with minimal effort. Insane volume, favorable ratios, massive diversity, easy logistics... assuming you can afford the lifestyle; which sounds like the case. No where else compares.

4. You're young enough that a start-up going bust is not the end of the world; especially in NYC where you can find another gig easily. Just make sure you do your due diligence on the owners/leadership/overall health of the company. It's not exactly uncommon for tech start-ups to go irresponsibly nuts with hiring software sales guys when they get some money to play with and then start cutting people/make life a living hell a year later due to lack of income/poor management. Make sure the leadership isn't overselling sales expectations to investors.

5. NYC has more direct non-stop flights to everywhere and is cheaper compared to Houston with the odd exception. Better for some extend photo-video travel ops/R+R.

You can always find another Job A like gig. Finding something you dig selling, in a true alpha city that's an all you can fuck buffet, allows you to travel to your region of interest to build contacts, pays well, AND has potential for big upside is not something that comes about nearly as often.

Quote: (07-07-2018 09:23 PM)monster Wrote:  

It sounds like you have more pros and less cons for NYC compared to the othes.

It definitely has some pros, but some other cons of Job B are:

- This job is the least sure thing of the three.
- It also looks like I'll have to pay for my flight/travel to the interview (for Job C they are paying for everything to another major US city)
- Schedule wise, I am not sure when I will do the NYC onsite interview bc I am at the end of my quarter this month and we're not allowed to get off work in the last 2 weeks. I will already be "sick" for my Job C interview for one day later this month. I could theoretically fly up later this week with no restrictions but the ticket will be more expensive on such short notice. Or I extend that Job C "sick day" and fly from the other city to NYC for two sick days in a row. Maybe they can wait till early August, who knows.

Quote: (07-07-2018 10:35 PM)The Black Knight Wrote:  

Job B without a doubt.

1. You are passionate about the product. Big deal in sales for getting through the grind; especially a start-up.

2. You can build industry contacts in Latin America; super important if you are serious about moving their one day. You can also build contacts in NYC; insane amounts of money, power, influence, and opportunities in NYC. Even if this start up craps out, you will very likely have other options available via your new network. One solid contact could change your life; more likely to happen in NYC. Most venture capital is confined to the Bay Area and NYC; no one gives a shit about Houston (a little money floats to Austin, though) and this will limit your future opportunities.

3. NYC is bar none, the best place in the US (and one of the best in the world) for banging 6+'s forever with minimal effort. Insane volume, favorable ratios, massive diversity, easy logistics... assuming you can afford the lifestyle; which sounds like the case. No where else compares.

4. You're young enough that a start-up going bust is not the end of the world; especially in NYC where you can find another gig easily. Just make sure you do your due diligence on the owners/leadership/overall health of the company. It's not exactly uncommon for tech start-ups to go irresponsibly nuts with hiring software sales guys when they get some money to play with and then start cutting people/make life a living hell a year later due to lack of income/poor management. Make sure the leadership isn't overselling sales expectations to investors.

5. NYC has more direct non-stop flights to everywhere and is cheaper compared to Houston with the odd exception. Better for some extend photo-video travel ops/R+R.

You can always find another Job A like gig. Finding something you dig selling, in a true alpha city that's an all you can fuck buffet, allows you to travel to your region of interest to build contacts, pays well, AND has potential for big upside is not something that comes about nearly as often.

All great points. This job would be in NoHo, any ideas on best place to live with a $150-160K OTE?

Not to be a dick but if you're still interviewing it's a bit pointless to talk about options because you don't have the offers in your hands yet. What if you don't get Option C or B? or A but do get B and C?

Sounds like you want to do C the least. NYC is great on that income level. The net income might be less but you won't have to drive everywhere so also take the car payment/insurance/fuel/time costs into consideration. I'd say do B because it's a good opportunity but if it's a start up....all the money is in the Bay Area.

Houston does have money flowing, and it's starting to go back up into full gear with oil prices going up. It's not start up but you can get yourself a nice paying job in O&G. Houston is cheap but bitches are spread out and sometimes life in the outskirts since living inside the loop is "expensive".....they'll come to party in the loop tho.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

Quote: (07-08-2018 10:58 AM)Cattle Rustler Wrote:  

Not to be a dick but if you're still interviewing it's a bit pointless to talk about options because you don't have the offers in your hands yet. What if you don't get Option C or B? or A but do get B and C?

^ This. In your original post you made it sound like you had offers from all 3. An interview and an offer are far, far different. An interview is nowhere close to an offer.

Go to all the interviews first and see if you get offers. Then choose.

Its odd that the NYC company would not pay for your flight for the final interview. 150k for NYC is a fairly serious position even if its fairly common out here. I would look more into them on glassdoor etc.

*Cold Shower Crew*
*No Fap Crew*
*150+ IQ Crew*

Quote: (07-08-2018 10:45 AM)iamkaisersoze Wrote:  

Job B without a doubt.

All great points. This job would be in NoHo, any ideas on best place to live with a $150-160K OTE?

150 OTE? In NYC? Meaning your base is around 75k probably; which means you're netting around 50k after NYC taxes. Divide 12 = 4.1k/month in base. AND they don't want to pay to fly you to the interview? (which speaks for its self).

Fuck that place if they won't come up on base pay AND pay to fly you out. I wouldn't go near NYC for less than a 100k base offer; especially at a start-up where income/stability is going to be more volatile and you've got other solid options potentially on the table. NYC cost of living is no joke.

Quote: (07-08-2018 01:32 PM)The Black Knight Wrote:  

Job B without a doubt.

150 OTE? In NYC? Meaning your base is around 75k probably; which means you're netting around 50k after NYC taxes. Divide 12 = 4.1k/month in base. AND they don't want to pay to fly you to the interview? (which speaks for its self).

Fuck that place if they won't come up on base pay AND pay to fly you out. I wouldn't go near NYC for less than a 100k base offer; especially at a start-up where income/stability is going to be more volatile and you've got other solid options potentially on the table. NYC cost of living is no joke.

In sales they usually don't start handing out 100k bases until you have at least 5 years under your belt.

Quote: (07-07-2018 12:08 PM)iamkaisersoze Wrote:  

- Job C = Expat job in SE Asia that needs someone with two languages I speak (one of which is rare) and travel to these regions (one of which is not fun or good for girls). I would only do this if I lived in Malaysia or Singapore, maybe Philippines. Thailand could be possible. Indonesia or Vietnam are probably no go's.

Friend, there is no region in SEA that would be "no good, no fun for women". Except maybe some backwater guerrilla place in Mindanao or on the Islamized border of Thailand, but surely you wouldn't be sent there for any good expat job.

Also, you would, it seems, prefer Philippines over Vietnam, for expat life? Like, you'd prefer Manila over Saigon for long-term expatriation? A mistake, I think.

I would set up in Houston, or go to Asia. In Houston you still have some great cities like Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio which could be your weekend road trip spots. Plus real estate, and the overall cost of living is much more affordable than NYC. There's a high population of Mexicanas in Texas so you can date them. Plus its easier to fly into Latin America from Houston compared to NYC. Ive been to NYC atleast 6 times in my life and its a great city to visit but I wouldn't want to live there unless I had $$$$$$$...

I wouldnt mind picking Asia since they will pay for majority of your expenses which gives you more disposable income. Plus there is less male competition as in the states when it comes to dating. If your into curvy latinas Asia wouldnt be the best spot. But you can definately travel to many great destinations easily if your located in Asia. Its easier to travel to Australia from Asia than the states. I saw some voluptuous asian women in my lifetime... so anything is possible.

Regardless of the decision you make, make sure you choose the option that's best for you.

Quote: (07-08-2018 10:58 AM)Cattle Rustler Wrote:  

Sounds like you want to do C the least. NYC is great on that income level. The net income might be less but you won't have to drive everywhere so also take the car payment/insurance/fuel/time costs into consideration. I'd say do B because it's a good opportunity but if it's a start up....all the money is in the Bay Area.

Houston does have money flowing, and it's starting to go back up into full gear with oil prices going up. It's not start up but you can get yourself a nice paying job in O&G. Houston is cheap but bitches are spread out and sometimes life in the outskirts since living inside the loop is "expensive".....they'll come to party in the loop tho.

I definitely understand what you are saying, but timing wise, this will all be coming down to the wire so that's why I'm seeking advice first to do a risk analysis. I've had a lot of interviews/offers/non-offers in recent years and so I have a good feel for opportunities, which is why I think the NYC thing is the least probable. Job C has some unique language/cultural/sales experience requirements -- and also has more than one position open -- and that's why I think I have a very good shot at that.

If I'm wrong, I am somewhat fucked of course (because I passed up a sure opportunity), although I am a shoe-in for a field sales role at my current company within 6 months once my current boss sets me free. But I don't love the company and they might send me to some random territory like Idaho, Missouri, etc. which would be worse than my current situation, even with a 50% raise.

I'd be getting $130-140K OTE for the Houston job so money would be great but 'quality of life' would not be as good as the other jobs. I would have to get a new car also which sucks.

Job B without a doubt.

Haha so it sounds like the other benefits of NYC are negated by this income level, or compared to the other opportunities anyways. There are stock options as well but I can't count on that obviously.

I do know that NYC companies are less apt to fly people in for interviews, but if I have had and currently have other companies flying me in to other cities, then what does that say about Job B? It's not positive obviously. The HR guy at the company made it seem like they were going to fly me up but then my recruiter surprised me with this. I'll get more details this week.

Quote: (07-08-2018 02:02 PM)qwertyuiop Wrote:  

Job B without a doubt.

In sales they usually don't start handing out 100k bases until you have at least 5 years under your belt.

In high paying sales jobs (with a fat base salary like are referencing) not only do a lot of firms want you to have experience, but they want you to have pre-existing clients & a book of business to bring to the table.

Quote: (07-08-2018 06:56 PM)iamkaisersoze Wrote:  

Haha so it sounds like the other benefits of NYC are negated by this income level, or compared to the other opportunities anyways. There are stock options as well but I can't count on that obviously.

I do know that NYC companies are less apt to fly people in for interviews, but if I have had and currently have other companies flying me in to other cities, then what does that say about Job B? It's not positive obviously. The HR guy at the company made it seem like they were going to fly me up but then my recruiter surprised me with this. I'll get more details this week.

I don't know your experience level (did you ever say?) but if you've got Job A and C as potential options, then that speaks for your value assuming you get actual offers that match expectations.

NYC eats money and I personally have minimum standards of living. If you have to live very spartan and on the edge in NYC in your 30's vs living VERY well in Asia and pretty good in Houston, then that NYC job better be the dogs bollocks for what YOU want both short and long term. Especially more so given the instability of a start-up.

I know for me for what I personally value, I wouldn't go near NYC since I don't really like the city overall. I like making connections and having plenty of pussy options but the trade-offs of living in a place like NYC (insane rents/taxes/shitty train system/concrete jungle) aren't worth it. From a worldwide cost/benefit perspective, NYC ain't all that great. But you have to make your own call on what you value ultimately.