rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

First Thai trip (what to bring)

I am scheduled to go to Thailand tomorrow night. I am a light traveler. Is a day pack enough if I buy stuff there? What do you recommend for someone moving from hotel/hostel/wherever over a month in Thailand?

Is a backpack enough? Do I need more than a few shorts/shirts underwear socks and bathroom supplies?

Just buy the whatever shit you need at MBK mall or as you go and watch out for that super gonorrhoea going around SE Asia right now.

If you are a white guy, bring a hat. March thru early May is the super hot season with not much in the way of rain. The sun is brutal. a hat kept me from getting sun stroke.

I recently did three weeks in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam with just a backpack.

Laundry service is readily available and affordable in areas with a lot of tourists. I even brought some things that I didn't use. If you're moving every couple days, I'd suggest just going with a backpack. Even re-packing that can get to be a pain in the ass with a lot of stuff if you're constantly doing it.

I'd recommend some lightweight pants. Under Armour makes some decent golf pants, and those got me through my trip. They look better than shorts in my opinion and are way more comfortable than jeans. Thais primarily wear pants, and I think it's socially more acceptable to do so there.

Packing cubes are also a nice addition. They're fairly cheap on Amazon and keep your backpack more organized and your clothes less wrinkled and easier to find.

I agree with scotian on MBK. There's anything you could possibly want there. It's kind of cool to check out even if you don't need anything. Also there are 3,000 7-11s in Bangkok, as well as many options for clothes and other necessities, so don't sweat it if you forget anything. I'd err on the side of not packing enough rather than bringing too much.

HILN is right as well - it's hot and humid. I was there in the "winter" and it was still 90+ several days. Dress for the heat or you'll be miserable. Enjoy your trip and best of luck!

Meant to mention that a travel towel was a nice thing to have. They're small and dry quickly. Mine came in handy in Air BnB's that didn't provide towels.

Also bring a power converter to charge any electronics. I'm sure you can find them in Thailand, but I'm sure they're more expensive. Something basic from Amazon is more than adequate.

I'll grab my hat, and wear condoms for sure!

The beauty of tropical weather is that doing it with 7kg of carry on is not only possible, but extremely easy. I did Thailand for 6 weeks a few months ago with just a soccer bag. If you want to hit higher end nightlife a lot though, you’ll probably need to get laundary done regularly and be okay with wearing variations of the same outfit.

Seriously bring condoms. The ones over here are small. No joke.

Quote: (04-01-2018 01:47 AM)SeaFM Wrote:  

Seriously bring condoms. The ones over here are small. No joke.

I actually found some I like and bought a couple 24 pack boxes. Lifestyles Skyn condoms seem better than the rest to me.

Bring an ice pack for your d*ck as well. It may come in handy with all the girls you'll be banging.

Have a good trip.