rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Oil Diet: How I Gained 30 Pounds in 3 Months

To make a long story short, lazy eating habits caused me to lose about 20 pounds -- and I was having trouble gaining it back.

I won't call myself a "hard gainer", since I know that's not an accurate term, but while I have a healthy appetite, I have trouble sticking to a weight-gaining diet.

I'd been supplementing with olive and coconut oil for years, but one day it occurred to me: there are about 125 calories per tablespoon of olive/coconut oil, meaning that if I took 8 tablespoons per day rather than 1 or 2, that's an extra 1,000 calories.

And it's a lot cleaner than junk food and causes less bloating than carbs.

(Note: I'm not trying to claim I originated a diet high in olive/coconut oil nor that I'm the first person to use it to gain weight.)

Using Olive/Coconut Oil to Gain Weight

Let's say your maintenance calories are around 2,000 per day. If you consume 8 tablespoons of oil per day on top of this, you'll gain roughly 2.3 pounds per week.

7,000 excess calories / 3,000 calories per pound gained = 2.3 per week

If you eat above your maintenance calories, as I did, you can pack on pounds at a very quick rate.

For example:

3,000 calories per day from food (1,000 excess) + 1,000 calories per day from oil = 4,000 calories per day

(2,000 x 7) / 3,000 = 4.6 pounds per week

Of course, these figures don't include calories burned through physical activity, exercise, etc.

In my case, I was consuming about 4,000 calories per day, but in the end I gained roughly 30 pounds in 3 months, which works out to approximately 2.5 pounds per week.

Currently, I'm about 10 pounds heavier than I've ever been, meaning an "oil diet" has been more effective for me than GOMAD (gallon of milk a day), mass gainers, weight-gaining shakes, etc.

And I've gotta say, I feel pretty good. I'm right around the "average" height for an American male, and I enjoy having a little more weight to throw around.

Which leads me to the other benefits...

Other Health Benefits of an Olive/Coconut Oil Heavy Diet

Diets high in olive oil are common in the Mediterranean/Southern Europe and have been credited with lowering the risk of heart disease and stroke, burning fat, improved digestion, improved hair and skin health, etc.

Personally, when I'm using large amounts of olive oil daily, I notice:

- My skin has less blemishes, even if I wash my face less; and my skin tends to have a healthier look in general
- My hair is more full and has a more natural sheen
- My digestion is better; my bowel movements are even more regular, and they pass very easily

For this reason, I've continued to consume large amounts of olive oil, even though I'm not currently trying to gain much weight.

Coconut oil has many similar benefits to olive oil, as well as some unique ones.

It's high in medium-chain triglycerides (or MCT), which improve cognitive function and help prevent Alzheimer's. It's also good for your teeth and bones and a potent anti-fungal.

And there are also benefits to healthy fats in general, like increased testosterone, etc.

I've also experimented with avocado oil, which is supposedly pretty healthy, but I don't have much personal experience with it yet.

Consuming a lot of oil can also be a good way to start or maintain a ketogenic diet, though this isn't something I've actually tried. Brandon Carter is one person I've seen do this. But I do find it very useful as a way to maintain your weight if you're trying to eat healthier, leaner, low carbs, etc.

How to Incorporate Large Amounts of Olive/Coconut Oil Into Your Diet

Here's the part where I lose a lot of people.

Most days, I pour anywhere between 4 to 8 tablespoons of olive oil into glass at night and drink it. Sometimes I drink it straight, but usually I'll mix it with something, like a little chocolate almond milk. Note: Oil and milk don't actually "mix", but it still makes it taste better.

The average person thinks this is quite strange -- but they think the same about baking soda, ACV, etc.

But like I said, I tend to be pretty lazy about when I eat, and this is such an easy thing to stick to. Before brushing my teeth, etc., I just think about how many calories I've eaten that day, what my current weight is and how much I want to gain, etc. and down whatever amount of olive oil fits my needs.

Other people, like in the videos I referenced above, prefer to split it between smaller "shots" spread throughout the day, but I find this tedious.

Of course, that's not the ONLY way to add oil to your diet.

I also:

- add 1 to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to my coffee; I tend to drink a lot of French press coffee, which is oily anyways, so it doesn't really even affect the taste

- cook in generous amounts of oil and drizzle more oil over prepared food; you'll barely notice an extra tablespoon of olive oil on your sauteed chicken, for instance, but it adds up; it adds some nice flavor to carbs, like rice or bread, too

- add oil to shakes, etc.

Is Drinking Olive Oil Bad for You?

As far as I can tell, no. In fact, most of the recommendations I've seen explicitly against olive oil only do so because it tastes bad, can upset your stomach, is weird, etc., not because there's actual research showing that it's unhealthy.

For instance, some people will do shots of olive oil several times a day but think it's strange to drink those shots all at once, which seems a little silly to me.

Personally, I've noticed health benefits from it, and it doesn't upset my stomach at all -- just the opposite, as I mentioned above. Though I have read that taking it on an empty stomach can make you a little queasy. I don't necessarily take it on a FULL stomach, but I don't do it first thing in the morning either.

This "diet" is also a much better alternative, in my view, than loading up on simple carbs, junk food, etc. to meet the same caloric requirements or using things like GOMAD, mass gainers, and the like to gain weight.

I try to keep daily intake at or below 8 tablespoons on most days, though there are times where I go over. That's just an attempt to keep my diet relatively balanced rather than some kind of science-based limit though.

P.S. I'm assuming that most of the health-conscious folks on the forum are already aware that "fat" is not bad for you -- and that healthy fats, like saturated fat, are actually quite good for you, especially as men.

What Kind of Oil to Use?

First of all, I want to address some misinformation regarding the quality of store-bought olive oil.

There's an oft-cited UC Davis Olive Center Report from 2010 that claims 69% of olive oil sold in the US (and elsewhere) is "fake".

But the only thing fake is the report itself, which:

- was based on taste testing, not actual lab testing
- was not at all scientifically rigorous
- has repeatedly failed to be replicated
- was conducted by a California-based organization that receives funding from California-based olive oil makers

https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-...aves/48223

https://blog.aboutoliveoil.org/olive-oil-fraud

In short, sure, some olive oil is probably better than others, but the claim that the majority of olive oil is cut with "inferior" oils like it's bad cocaine is not true.

With that said, you should make sure you're getting "Extra Virgin" olive oil and "Unrefined" (also known as virgin) coconut oil. Organic is also preferable.

From there, whether you want to spend $50 on olive oil bottled by Mother Theresa or just something from your local supermarket is up to you. Different areas, supermarkets, budgets, etc. will leave you with totally different options, so it's kind of pointless to discuss specific brands. Personally, I try to select brands that aren't the cheapest but are still reasonable priced.

The best deal I've found is at Costco, where you can get a 2L of Kirkland's organic extra virgin olive oil for around $15 and 2.5L of Kirkland's organic, unrefined coconut oil for around $15 as well.

This is an amazing deal. For instance, if you're using it for weight gain, that 2L of olive oil contains about 133 tablespoons, which works out to over 16,000 calories.

If we assume roughly 3,000 calories per pound gained, that's basically 5.5 pounds for $15.

The only problem with the Kirkland brand oils listed above is they come in plastic, not glass, containers, so that's something to consider if you're averse to plastic.

Disclaimer:

This isn't meant to be medical advice, and I'm not advising everyone to go out and gain 20 pounds.

Like I mentioned above, I was regaining weight I had lost, plus a little extra. And I was hitting the gym heavily while I put on weight. On the other hand, if you've been 180 pounds your whole life and suddenly hit 210 in a few months, for example, this could obviously cause problems with your joints, etc.

Simply adding a few spoons of coconut oil and a whey shake at the end of every meal will add mass on most people.

I did laugh at the title of this thread. Dave Tate would be proud:

Quote:Quote:

"For dinner you're gonna order an extra-large pizza with everything on it. Literally everything. If you don't like sardines, don't put 'em on, but anything else that you like you have to load it on there. After you pay the delivery guy, I want you to take the pie to your coffee table, open that fucker up, and grab a bottle of oil. It can be olive oil, canola oil, whatever. Anything but motor oil. And I want you to pour that shit over the pie until half of the bottle is gone. Just soak the shit out of it."

"Now before you lay into it, I want you to sit on your couch and just stare at that fucker. I want you to understand that that pizza right there is keeping you from your goals."

https://www.t-nation.com/training/37-tip...-dave-tate

I imagine taking in an extra 1000 calories of straight fat daily might not be the best for some people who are trying to keep a certain ratio of Macros. That said, this would certainly put weight on you - what kind of weight would depend a lot on your training, lifestyle, and the rest of your diet.

Oil is definitely a solid source of calories, I always do 2 spoonfuls of olive oil in a protein shake when bulking. 240 easy calories without tasting any difference.

Interesting read but I gotta ask, 30lbs in 3 months? Were you on gear also ?

If so what did your stack look like ?

For your 4K in Cals what did you diet consist of ?

Some more clarity would be helpful.

Its not the putting on of the weight that is hard to do, but I'm assuming the majority of this weight was fat.

30lbs in 3 months due to a dietary change is mostly fat.

Sorry to say it, but if you gain 30lbs of muscle you better be putting another 100 on your bench and another 150 on your deadlift. Gonna guess this didn't happen.

However, oil is useful. If you're staying steady at your current bodyweight, adding 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1 Oz of nuts to your daily intake will usually get the scale moving again. I would add the oil to a morning shake and the nuts to the last meal of your day.

Also, get a GOOD quality olive oil or an MCT oil. The store brand olive oil is usually crap and anything that says made in Italy is crap. You want a US grown olive oil.

Quote: (03-06-2018 06:30 PM)kaotic Wrote:  

Interesting read but I gotta ask, 30lbs in 3 months? Were you on gear also ?

If so what did your stack look like ?

For your 4K in Cals what did you diet consist of ?

Some more clarity would be helpful.

No gear. I was taking a decent amount amount of (vitamin) supplements though.

- D3
- K2
- Whey isolate
- Creatine
- Beta Alanine
- Ginseng
- Gingko
- Tongkat Ali, Tribulus, Horny Goat Weed, Maca (all in one)
- Calcium D Glucarnate
- DIM
- Acetyl L-Tyrosine
- NAC
- Large dose L-Optizinc
- CoQ10
- Magnesium oil
- Krill oil
- Astanxanthin
- Hyaluronic acid
- Collagen
- Probiotic

I think that's all of them [Image: lol.gif]

My diet during this period was something like:

- meat (link sausage, pulled pork, etc.)/fish, veggies, maybe eggs for breakfast

- two cold cut, cheese, and veggie (spinach, onions, tomato, avocado, green peppers, etc.; not all at the same time) sandwiches with thinly-sliced multi-grain bread for lunch

- protein bars, fruit, nuts, jerky, etc. as snacks

- barbecue pulled pork/chicken sandwiches for dinner

- outrageous amounts of ice cream

- couple raw eggs a day

I was also doing fruit, veggie, nut shakes at times. This all varied a little day-by-day, but that's the gist of it.

In short, it wasn't the cleanest diet, but I tried not to go too crazy on carbs or junk food. And in retrospect, I'm sure the raw eggs, zinc, vitamin D, krill oil, etc. helped. But as I stated, I was regaining most of this weight. Nor was it 100% pure muscle.

That very tall member of the forum, can't remember his username, the one that weighed very little and had an approach thread going, he might benefit from this, easy way to add weight.

Quote: (03-06-2018 06:40 PM)Steelex Wrote:  

30lbs in 3 months due to a dietary change is mostly fat.

Sorry to say it, but if you gain 30lbs of muscle you better be putting another 100 on your bench and another 150 on your deadlift. Gonna guess this didn't happen.

Where did I suggest I gained 30lbs of muscle due to a dietary change?

At "average" height, about 5'9", if I gained 30lbs of fat I would be considered morbidly obese. I'm not nor have I ever been. In fact, I was living with a forum member with over 200+ rep points during the 3 months that I gained this weight, so we could easily confirm that.

Do you really think I started a thread "hey guys, here's how I became fat as fuck, you should try it"?

At this point, I'd estimate I'm at around 15% body fat -- and it wasn't all that low to begin with.

If you read either the beginning or end of my post, including the section with the big bold Disclaimer at the top, you'd see that I repeatedly stated that I regained 20lbs that I had lost and only put on 10 extra.

If you slack off on the weights and calories for a while and slim down, when you get back in the gym the weight is not going to come back in the same way as someone who just gained 30lbs out of the blue. Again, that's why I repeatedly specified that I was originally not very far off from my current weight.

That's why I also pointed out in the section labeled Disclaimer that I was not suggesting anyone go out and randomly gain 20 or 30 pounds, since it would have health effects on someone whose body was not already accustomed to that weight.

I was doing mile-long hill runs in the summer at altitude and working on my feet daily while gaining weight, and then switched to regular full court basketball games. I also do all my running in minimalist running shoes with little support and no socks.

In short, this is a weight that I'm fairly comfortable at. If you suddenly gain 30lbs that you don't know how to carry, of course it's going to cause problems, which is exactly what I said.

My post was for people who have a difficult time gaining weight, have trouble maintaining their weight while on a leaner diet, want to try a ketogenic diet, etc., as I laid out in my post.

If you don't have trouble gaining weight, great. This post was not for you.

If your macros dictate that you don't consume a high fat diet, great. This post was not for you.

If you are already happy with your weight and more concerned with maintaining a very strict body fat, great. Don't gain 2.5 pounds a week for three months, as I already stated.

This is a post for people who want to do some form of "bulking" without consuming tons of carbs, dairy, and sugar, who want to maintain a low carb high fat diet, or who want to take advantage of some of the other health benefits of olive or coconut oil (skin, hair, cognitive function, digestion).

Because there are still guys who are still stick thin, drinking retarded amounts of milk, stuffing themselves with carbs, doing Starting Stength, etc. for whom this information might be helpful.

This is a diet that worked for me, based on my experience, and that many people around me have since asked about because they were surprised by how quickly I was able to put on weight.

If you already know everything about everything, including how much fat I'm carrying around without every meeting me, great. Keep doing what you're doing.

I didn't claim to be a fitness model nor try to sell anyone a product. I simply made a post that some people might gain value from, since I know for a fact it helped me.

Quote: (03-06-2018 11:10 PM)Spaniard88 Wrote:  

That very tall member of the forum, can't remember his username, the one that weighed very little and had an approach thread going, he might benefit from this, easy way to add weight.

Yeah, that's one of the guys I had in mind when I made this thread. Quite a few friends have expressed interest in this diet after seeing how it helped me, from guys who are stick thin to another buddy who is actually a healthy weight and fairly shredded. That one was especially interesting to me since he's always wanted to be more lean while I've wanted to be more big.

But obviously it's not for everyone, though I haven't gained any new weight in about 6 months and still consume a decent amount of oil because of the benefits on my skin and hair.

8 Tablespoons of Coconut oil a day...I wouldn't stray too far from the bathroom.

Germane to the topic, did your lifts go up? If so, how much?
Did your belt get tighter, looser, or stay the same?

I was on this diet for around a month beginning in march, not long after Enigma created this thread. I consumed five table spoons a day.

The results were that I put on about 10 pounds during this time, unfortunately most of it was fat. I had people who knew me commenting on it and I could see it myself, the tape measure confirmed it. However, I'm sure that a few pounds of the weight gain was muscle as my lifts did go up, so it wasn't all negative.

The reason I stopped was not because I felt any worse, but because I absolutely hate the taste of olive oil, it's absolutely disgusting and made me want to vomit. During the time I took it, I never drank it straight. I would put a little bit of orange juice into my mouth, enough to cover my tongue and then I would knock back the table spoon full over the juice. Like you would a shot.

I would recommend this to really skinny guys who are desperate to put on weight or those who just want to increase their numbers in every category. Other than that, I would give it a miss.