rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Whetstone for knife sharpening?

Can anyone recommend a whetstone for knife sharpening? For a chef's knife, in particular.

I'm a complete newbie to this, so I'd also appreciate any ebook / YouTube recommendations too.

"I'm not worried about fucking terrorism, man. I was married for two fucking years. What are they going to do, scare me?"

I know that there are tutorials on youtube for sharpening jigs. These hold the knife at specific angle against whetstone ensuring always an easy sharpening. My friend is a chef and he uses stones up to 4000 grits if I recall correctly. Look what I found at this website: https://sohoknives.wordpress.com/2014/03...-the-grit/

Quote:Quote:

less than 1000 grit is typically used to repair knives with chipped edges
1000 to 3000 grit are used to sharpen dull knives
4000 to 8000 grit are finishing stones and are used to refine your knife edge
If you are using your knife to cut meat it is best to stop at between 4000 and 6000 grit as you can bend your knife edge on the muscle and sinew

I use a chef’s choice electric sharpener for my Shun knives because it can sharpen Asian and western angle blades, FWIW, I like shun knives, but they are a bit fragile.

I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VQK...UTF8&psc=1

Affordable, easy to use, and safe.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

I recommend something like this: Spyderco

It's very accurate and handles knives with serrations. It takes more time than an electric sharpener, but you don't have to use it often. It will make an edge that will shave your skin.

It's been my understanding that the electric sharpeners grind down too much of the blade.

That Spyderco looks interesting, though. Thanks, Dulceacido

UPDATE: I may just get a Blademedic instead of a whetstone / angle spacer combination -> https://morethanjustsurviving.com/6-reas...sharpener/

"I'm not worried about fucking terrorism, man. I was married for two fucking years. What are they going to do, scare me?"

Ok I've got one better for you.

Go to a good sushi bar when it's slow and pay the chef twenty bucks to sharpen your blade.

You're not going to sharpen your knife better than a guy who has the right stones and does it every day.

Quote: (02-04-2018 07:04 PM)Steelex Wrote:  

You're not going to sharpen your knife better than a guy who has the right stones and does it every day.

True, but learning a new skill is interesting to me as well. Good idea, though.

Btw, what kind of knife/knives do you have? My friend (chef) bought recently pattern welded santoku knife and it is in my opinion amazingly sharp. It is really important to sharpen it with whetstones and never with these V slot sharpeners as they are too coarse. I have these sharpeners for use on my kitchen knives, but then again my knives don't cost hundreds of dollars like those of my friend.

Quote: (02-05-2018 05:29 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

Btw, what kind of knife/knives do you have?

Nothing fancy -- Wusthof paring knife, Victorinox chef's knife, bunch of "Sabatier" odds and ends (bread knife, steak knives, etc.).

I think high-end whetstones are strictly an enthusiast, self-actualization type of item. You're not going to war with that knife of yours; your lamb is going to be cut practically the same whether you're using a very sharp blade or a super ultra hyper sharp blade. That extra edge is for you, not for the meat.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Sharper the better, Shuns are beautiful knives that take an extremely sharp edge. I do find they are a little fragile, so best not for everyday restaurant use. However I do use one at home. Once you learn to get that super sharp edge, you should really get a strop and learn how to get beyond razor sharp. Fantastic for cutting fish and other delicate products.

"Women however should get a spanking at least once a week by their husbands and boyfriends - that should be mandated by law" - Zelcorpion