rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Fresh breath tip: hydrogen peroxide

I used to rinse and gargle with Listerine, but it irritates my mouth. I didn't like the burning sensation and felt that it couldn't possibly be good for me. I did some research and found a homemade mouthwash that is less irritating on the mouth but just as effective (if not more).

Buy a 3% bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Mix equal parts of it with water to create a 1.5% solution. Then rinse. That's it! I leave it in a water bottle and do it twice a day.

Additional resources:
http://www.rooshv.com/dont-let-bad-breat...-your-game
http://www.doctorspiller.com/halitosis.htm

Quote:Quote:

After you have scraped your tongue, the second step in the treatment of fetor oris is to disrupt the actual volatile sulfur compounds as well as the anaerobic bacteria that remain after scraping. This is easily accomplished by gargling or vigorously brushing the tongue with a 1.5 percent solution of hydrogen peroxide (available in any drug store). Hydrogen peroxide liberates oxygen. That is why it bubbles up when it comes into contact with bacteria or blood. The hydrogen peroxide you buy at the store is a 3 percent solution. It is generally wise to dilute the peroxide solution half and half with water in order to gargle with it, however you may prefer to apply 3% hydrogen peroxide directly to the tongue using a tooth brush. Vigorous brushing with hydrogen peroxide will help to further remove the bacterial layer while at the same time oxygenating the area. Use copious amounts of peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide solution accomplishes two simultaneous operations:

The oxygen liberated by the hydrogen peroxide combines with the VSC's thus neutralizing them and effectively removing the chemical compounds immediately responsible for the bad breath.

The oxygen liberated by the hydrogen peroxide kills the anaerobic bacteria responsible for producing the VSC's.

Hydrogen peroxide is cheap and very effective in both neutralizing VSC's, and in killing anaerobic bacteria, but it tastes terrible, which is why you may want to rinse your mouth afterwards with a commercial mouthwash, or use Peridex®, which is available by prescription, instead of peroxide. Listerine (the original type) is also effective in killing the anaerobes and neutralizing VSC's.

I find it to be tasteless. You can always add a few drops of spearmint oil to give it a minty flavor.

Are you sure it is safe to use it long term?

Quote:Quote:

Are you sure it is safe to use it long term?

Animal studies show it's safe if you use less than 3% concentration:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7500245

That's no guarantee it's safe in humans, of course.

Listerine may be less safe. The makers are trying to stop an oral cancer test from being sold on the market:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/listerine...d=14116356

I'm just going by what my mouth is telling me. Listerine irritates it, hydrogen peroxide doesn't, so I'll go with the peroxide.

Roosh, I am liking your scientific nature a lot.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Listerine is a scam. The alcohol is so strong that it kills top layer gum tissue in your mouth that will rot and cause worse breath in the long term. It only covers up bad breath temporarily with its overpowered mint flavour.

Awesome, first baking soda, now this... thanks uncle roosh!

Quote: (09-08-2011 09:52 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

Listerine is a scam. The alcohol is so strong that it kills top layer gum tissue in your mouth that will rot and cause worse breath in the long term. It only covers up bad breath temporarily with its overpowered mint flavour.

I just went to the dentist yesterday (no cavities MOM!).

They recommended a new Listerine, called "Listerine Zero" with no alcohol.

Went to the pharmacy, and they didn't have it.

Might have to order online, but could be decent.

Question:

What kind of electric toothbrushes do you guys recommend?

Electric toothbrush? Why use that?

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Quote: (09-08-2011 11:44 AM)Samseau Wrote:  

You don't like them?

What is your experience with them?

Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is a (relatively) mild oxidizing agent. Most odor causing chemicals contain sulfur in the form of thiols (e.g. skunk spray and metabolic products from bacteria in your mouth). Peroxide oxidizes the sulfur up to the sulphate, which is generally odorless and/or less volatile. Obviously it is also a bacteriacide as well.

I seem to recall someone also mentioning that a paste made from peroxide and baking soda was a very effective tooth whitener.

Flossing regularly is a good preventer of bad breath since it reduces the bacteria count in your mouth considerably.

Another tip--one that's kept me from ever having had a cavity--is to rinse your mouth with clean water after every meal or snack. It removes particles of food from your mouth and keeps things tidy.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Quote: (09-08-2011 11:55 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

You don't like them?

Why not a real toothbrush? Laziness? Or are electric ones better?

Just wondering, the electric ones intrigued me when I was younger.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

I just tried this, and am very pleased with the results. What's interesting is, our bodies rid/breaks down H2O2 because of its oxidizing ability to generate free radicals, so diluting it with water is important for that reason. It's also kinda cool to see the foam generated from killing anaerobic microbials--with listerine, I figured the fact that my mouth was burning meant that the majority of my mouth bacteria were dead. This is much safer, and natural.

Quote: (09-08-2011 12:10 PM)Moma Wrote:  

Why not a real toothbrush? Laziness? Or are electric ones better?

Just wondering, the electric ones intrigued me when I was younger.

I think an electric toothbrush is vastly inferior to an analog one with proper technique. It produces the wrong motion, brushing your teeth in a circular motion over your gums, which accelerates the receding process--a very bad thing.

You're better off brushing with one of the various downward-stroke methods, which are less harsh on your gum line.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

I used to an electric toothbrush and liked. My dentist said it promoted better circulation in the gums. I stopped using it because it was 110v and everywhere I is 220v.

Does the hydrogen peroxide whiten teeth at that solution?

Quote: (09-08-2011 11:28 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

I just went to the dentist yesterday (no cavities MOM!).

Went to the pharmacy, and they didn't have it.

Might have to order online, but could be decent.

Question:

What kind of electric toothbrushes do you guys recommend?

Crest Spinbrush Pro. Inexpensive and I feel that it leaves my mouth fresher than a manual toothbrush.

Quote: (09-08-2011 11:55 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

You don't like them?

They break and the parts are expensive (for a toothbrush). Regular toothbrushes are just way easier. A dollar toothbrush keeps my teeth pearly-white, is faster as fuck to use, and if I lose or drop it - no biggie.

As for floss, glide is the only brand I will buy. Only shit strong enough to really clean in-between.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Listerine is actually made up of a chemical called phenol and not alcohol. They're similar but phenols have been known to be carcinogenic, so it's good to avoid Listerine.

But on that note, hydrogen peroxide causes radical propagation and could be harmful if swallowed on a daily basis (even if minimal). It just comes down to picking your poison. Regardless, I dig the hippie solutions Roosh. Keep 'em coming.

good tips..i use trader joes brand of fluoride free toothpaste

Also use less refined sugar and carbs overall. You will get less cavities as well. I think in Africa they only brush with tree picks of a certain species and have fantastic teeth.

I filled the cap on the bottle with some and gargled it around for about 30 seconds last night. Woke up this morning with no nasty morning breath like I usually do. Did the same this morning and my breath still feels fresh. You know how you can feel the warmenss when it's funky...it's not here. My teeth also look a little whiter than usual.

Quote: (09-10-2011 09:04 PM)Feo Wrote:  

Listerine is actually made up of a chemical called phenol and not alcohol. They're similar but phenols have been known to be carcinogenic, so it's good to avoid Listerine.

But on that note, hydrogen peroxide causes radical propagation and could be harmful if swallowed on a daily basis (even if minimal). It just comes down to picking your poison. Regardless, I dig the hippie solutions Roosh. Keep 'em coming.

what do you think about the listerine without alcohol (or phenol)?

I love these natural cures and remedies.

I bought a box of baking soda for 79 cents and I have been using it all over the house. Cleaning the kitchen, brushing my teeth, baking cookies, etc.

Another good one is Coconut oil. It's the best hair gel that I have ever used. Make sure your hair is slightly wet when you add it and mix it into your hair good. It gives your hair sheen and keeps it flexible all day.

No diss on Roosh's methods', but I'd never use hydrogen peroxide as mouth wash, I've spilled a bit of that stuff on me over the years to know that even super diluted, it's not anything you want to mess with.

Listerine is nasty stuff though, I don't like using that either. I'm all about the naturals and the orgaincs, I think if you guys give it a try you will agree too.

Here is the mouthwash I like to use:

http://www.drugstore.com/the-natural-den.../qxp240152

I think dilutued hydrogen peroxide is less harmful than Listerning, which immediately burns and irritates my mouth.