rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Travel Alone or Find a Wing?

Been traveling alone for ten years. I've developed a solid lifestyle living on about $2k/month of passive income. I fly for free but its standby which requires flexibility. I usually get first class which is a great perk. I'm not lonely.

I do think I'm missing out on a lot of night game without a wing. Cracking large sets of hot girls and developing social circles is tough solo. Especially as a foreigner with limited language. I'm usually trying to convince girls to leave their group instead of bringing the group home. I see other dudes traveling together. They combine their accommodation costs and rent baller pads.

Just wondering what other guys experiences are with teaming up short term/long term travel. I'm sure there are pros and cons. I hooked a friend up with freeflights for a year and he never used it. It's not something most people have flexibility for. The most any of my buddies can do is a weekend somewhere a short flight away.

How do you even find a wing to travel with? Most solo travelers are pretty independent and set in their ways. For instance if I don't have something new to see each day it's time to move on. But guys I know will love places for years and never sightsee. They're all about quality of life and enjoying themselves. Not sure how you can really compromise on things like that.

I've traveled alone, with friends of a different mindset to me, and with friends of a similar mindset to me over the years. Traveling with people with very difference preferences to you is the worst of all options. You'll end up having to make so many compromises, and waste so much time, that you'll just end up resenting them. Its bad. Traveling by yourself is OK, but quite lonely at times. And it does restrict your options: some things just aren't fun by yourself. Plus it weakens you game wise - both in terms of who you can approach, and in that it makes so many of your nights out revolve around scoring instead of just having fun. And as you mention it limits you greatly accommodation (and transport sometimes) wise.

The best option is definitely being able to travel with friends of a similar mindset to you. You're right in that you are missing out hugely on that. I'm lucky enough to have a group of 5 guys from playing rugby with in uni that I've done most of my traveling with. They're all in good shape still, have a decent amount of disposable income, and good game at this stage. And they all work in Europe so have 30 days a year of leave to spend on travel. When I'm traveling with this group we spend our days doing fun activities - jetskiing, shooting guns etc - whatever the local activity is. This is way more fun doing it with mates than it would be solo. And then at night we can either chill or else go gaming; the option is there to do both. And if we go gaming we can always make the most of it, since you've already got good social proof wherever you go being in a group of fun guys. Accommodation/car rental wise you almost always have better options in a group too. Penthouses, villas etc become reasonably priced.

Its easier said than done to say "find a group of like minded individuals" though I know. I'd recommend looking into sports teams wherever you are. If you pick one with a suitable social class that plays it you'll likely be making friends with other educated, middle class, men with disposable income. Who are the most likely demographic for finding suitable travel buddies. Rugby Union and cricket in the Anglosphere, or anywhere with large expat populations, would be the best I'd recommend. If its a physical sport like rugby the guys will usually be in good shape too, which raises the chance of them having good game quite significantly.

Backpacking solo for the last four months have felt the same way too. I still remember how fun it was when I did Couchsurfing in Mendoza, Argentina. Hung out with my host and his friends, camping, clubbing, and getting to know the small town of Maipu in 10 days. Every now and then, I'll meet up with some travelers from hostels or tours to see what there is to do in town. Most of my travels have been through hostels. Your accommodation arrangements are probably better than mine but I am starting to do some AirBnB in the next cities I will be going to. Trekking through the park Torres del Paine and walking around Olltanytambo, Peru I've chilled with male travelers where all we do is talk about cultural differences, makes the experience better when you're visiting another country or city.

In La Paz, I had a wing over at the hostel we stayed at, Loki. Went out with two Netherland girls, felt so much better to focus on one girl than two but that damn Bolivian street food got to my stomach and couldn't hang out with my wing on his last nights. Now I'm in Mancora, Peru, approaching girls in groups and would rather have a wing with me than to just talk to them with the decent level of Spanish I have.

Traveling alone isn't BAD though, have met traveling couples and locals that have taken me out to town. It's random how we meet and start enjoying our time together [Image: sleepy.gif] .The worse part about traveling alone is rejection. Sometimes I'll ask a simple question to somebody and then it turns into travel advice, going out to eat, or doing a tour together. A practice in charisma.

I love traveling alone. I've never felt lonely at all. I think you meet more people when you're solo. People invite you to go do fun shit instead of being tied to a travel companion and having to ask him what he wants to do.

If you're hanging out by yourself, I think it makes you more approachable. Think about it... is it easier to cozy up to a girl if she's by herself or if she's in a group?

And you can do both. Travel solo and then meet a wingman along the way. If you get tired of his bullshit, then just leave his ass and go get on a bus. [Image: smile.gif]

Travel alone and meet cool RFV members everywhere you go.

Contribute to the forum, improve your reputation, use the meet-up section. Voila - you have friends all over the globe.

I'm somewhat of a special case because, given my deafness, I can't follow or lead group conversations for long. So I do much better rolling solo. That way I control the topic and pace of the conversation. If I had a wing even with mediocre game, he would outshine me because I wouldn't be able to understand the conversation.

The exception is if there were so many people, enough to split the conversations in a more atomic fashion -- like a party or a blowout at a bar / nightclub.

But I digress. This might not apply to you. Or maybe it does.

I prefer travelling alone to, you don't need to make to much commitments to others to and you can visit whatever you like and off course approach whatever girl you like [Image: smile.gif]

Here are my disadvantages:
- Getting out alone can be hard, especially for motivating yourself and pushing yourself going out alone ( especially around 8 or 9 am) -> if you have a wing this is easier.
-You can talk to him at night if you have a lot of rejections , can be mentally hard otherwise

My advantages:
-You'll never have to deal with that he takes the girl you like, or he takes a girl back home and you stay there like the single duck [Image: smile.gif]
- In asia, it's a lot easier to flying out solo , people are friendlier in nightlife( less cockblockers than Europe and the states and Canada, only in Korea they have also a lot of cockblockers)
-You don't have to deal with your friend his issues or passive cockblocking( not dancing with her girlfriend, agressive behaviour, drunkness,..)

My conclusion: In europe i would prefer going out with a wing and do daygame and travelling alone, in asia i would prefer flying totally solo

But don't let you get down by the many reactions i Always get when people saying i'm travelling alone:

- Are you not afraid if you don't know anybody ( especially girls ask this question a lot-> no i'm not!!!!!)

- You're not going to feel alone and missing home? ( this is a question i already had so many times and they are so depressing but don't let you get down, travelling alone is much better [Image: biggrin.gif])

- Is it not good enough here? ( France, Uk,Belgium,Holland,..)

-
-

I'm facing the same problem. Being location independent with a good disposable bankroll, but with most friends being stuck in 1 city with a 9-5 job. I don't mind traveling solo, but going with a friend or two that share your interests and beliefs certainly boosts my game and mood when on the road.

I suppose, like Vinny mentioned, contributing more here and meet up with people across the globe is the way to go. There are many places I'd consider going for a month or so but keep delaying because they don't seem like solo destinations. Parts of Africa, Mediterranean etcetera comes to mind. This is something we should expand on here on rvf.

It is much better to travel and go out with a wingman IF you find the right wingman. If your energy levels, interests, budgets and personalities all match or complement each other, the sky is the limit. However, it is much better to go solo then with a wingman who is not a good match for you.

In the end, you will never know in advance so I suggest you try it when you are feeling extra social.

I too roll solo and only need to occasionally share some laughs/conversation with other males. This is usually provided with a few days at a hostel, before I strike out on my own. Like Roosh said, you only need to increase your approaches and let the Law of Averages do the work. It's impossible to fail completely

Two is company three is a crowd. If you can manage alone this is also cool, but it has its cons!

I travel alone all the time for business. So I know a great deal about solo game. I'm traveling to Cali today. When I touch down I will elaborate!

Solo game, especially when travelling, so a future goal for me too.

Used to do most of my travelling (usually weekends or week-long stints) with one of my oldest friends. Good-looking, fit dude, very much like me personality-wise. We were outrageously successful in the USA and Central America. Now he's decided to go back to school and his level of disposable income is not what it was. I feel like I will give solo-travelling a shot. Hostels sound like a great place to meet people.

Has anyone encountered girls who match as groups on tinder social with other groups of guys/mixed sets? I've seen this a few times. 4-5+ people out in a merged group via tinder. Sometimes I fake a group just to test but think it'd be weird then showing up solo and making an excuse.

I'm cool with traveling solo most of the time. I usually end up meeting other people via the forum or Couchsurfing though. I'm planning to hit up Bogota next week though. It's probably all in my head but I've never been this nervous about visiting anywhere. I've wandered places like Rio and Kiev alone at night without a care in the world but I think I've read too much Internet fear hype around Colombia. For this reason I plan to link up with other members down there just to feel more at ease.

The Rule of Two, just like the Sith in Star Wars, is the key of success. In order for this technique to work, both of the participants need to be mentally ready for being an ideal wingman. It means at least one needs to get laid and the other needs to secure that, it doesn't rule the opportunity that both can enjoy the pleasure of notching that night, but the point of this game it needs to be a beneficial partnership which assure the success of both, but sometimes one and sometimes the other. It is also easier to approach a circle of people (preferably women) in a friendly way without a lot of interference in the vibe. Costs divided by two, no problem staying in hostels with lots of people, one covering the back of the other. For the times I have been traveling around, when using the rule of two is when I have a highest rate of success.

My blog: Wolfsout

Quote: (01-17-2017 11:41 AM)Travel Museums Wrote:  

Has anyone encountered girls who match as groups on tinder social with other groups of guys/mixed sets? I've seen this a few times. 4-5+ people out in a merged group via tinder. Sometimes I fake a group just to test but think it'd be weird then showing up solo and making an excuse.

There was a thread on that over on the Game forum a while ago. I did a small write-up here:

thread-57196...pid1362419

I think showing up by yourself to a group date would go very badly in most cases. The spare-wheel girl would definitely be a huge cockblock.

Thanks zatara. Nice write up. I'm thinking I can try to work the text game then say my wing has travelers diarrhea or something but my other friend who's not on tinder is coming. Or just wait until last minute and tell them when they get there and present and instawing as another guy in my hostel. If I have nothing else going on that night might as well give it a shot.

I saw two Korean girls I opened recently in Siem reap out on a tinder social date with three guys. I realized how much pussy I'm probably missing bc so many girls go out in two sets.

In the last few months I had the pleasure of meeting several forum members in person. I’ve made good friends and travel buddies.

To the lurkers out there: Make an effort to connect in person!

The option to meet likeminded men is one of the biggest rewards of this forum. Wish I had started reaching out earlier.

I like traveling alone, aside from maybe 5 friends in the world that travel the same way as me. You end up meeting way more people and doing whatever you want, no commitment. With a friend it comes down to group decisions on meals, clubs, activities, etc. Alone, you can go wherever, whenever, not deal and meet whoever you want and find whoever is doing the most fun thing that night. Although you may be traveling alone, you are only really alone til you meet some people at a hostel, through couchsurfing/couchsurfing meetups, RVF, or just randoms from a restaurant or bar you are at.

Mr. Travel Museums,

I appreciate the level of detail you have put into your travel journals, warts and all. Such highly-nuanced accounts are of great interest to myself and evidently many other readers.

Your question is a good one and will remain relevant indefinitely. In short, I think Vinny put it best:

Quote: (01-16-2017 12:02 PM)Vinny Wrote:  

Travel alone and meet cool RFV members everywhere you go. Contribute to the forum, improve your reputation, use the meet-up section. Voila - you have friends all over the globe.

I've included more below on the 'why' and the 'how'. This is based on my experience travelling alone (which characterizes the vast majority of my adult travels over the past decade) along with wings, plus networking with dozens of guys through pickup/men's forums across the globe in their local area. I have also noted that you:

- Have done a vast amount of solo travelling,
- Are currently on the road,
- Are yet to have met any RVF'ers, and have perhaps done little if any winging with other game-savvy players (?)
- Have posted up some detailed travel journals however you've been involved in a few quarrels here.

My main suggestion is to make a genuine, ongoing effort to meet fellow RVF members.

==============================================

(1) Making real-life friends through RVF appears to be an underused yet huge opportunity

I highlighted several meets with fellow RVF'ers on my recent trip in part to demonstrate the rewards of hanging with like-minded gents on the road [1,2]. In that post I mentioned the 'RVF Big Guns' meetups -- don't they sound awesome?! [3,4]

Solo travelling offers immense freedom but at times can be a lonely experience even for the most outgoing player. More than that, if you're looking to bang and connect with high quality women, then being in a high-energy state whilst having social proof -- all thanks to your wingman -- can offer you opportunities well beyond those afforded by running game online or approaching solo backpackers.

Further, I think you'll find that fellow RVF'ers will take you more seriously and, especially in the case of senior members, be more willing to hang out once you get repped for a couple of real-life meets.

(2) Pick a rough itinerary which is centred around your desires, yet allows enough flexibility to move around to meet others or travel with them within the broader area. For instance, you could just buy your airfare and accommodation and then take everything else as it comes, including the option to, say, book a room in 1 city that provides you will a full refund if you cancel with more than 48 hours notice.

(3) Post up your itinerary in the Meetups forum along with either a concise introduction, or a link to a detailed profile in the official intro thread [5]. Also, read the rules for this forum as outlined by Roosh [6].

(4) Use the forum's search function and send some friendly private messages to fellow members who have posted about your designated area. In the message, include your intro and perhaps a link to one of your detailed travel writings, which could showcase your potential for offering them value. If you invest in these processes then others will be more likely to invest in you.

(5) Integrate standard protocols for private communication and organising private meets as described by Roosh [7,8].

Bonus idea

(6) Have a look at other forums or networking sites such as local pickup groups, couchsurfing.com, meetup.com, and so on. The internet has opened up incredible opportunities for networking across the globe.

A side note for Mr. Travel Museums

(7) Consider that text-only communication is very limited in providing context and showing your precise intentions

Sometimes what we intend to say is not what is understood by the other person, especially when that person cannot hear the tone of your voice, look at your body language or see your facial expressions. Your limited RVF-meetup cred compounds this principle of communication, thereby enhancing the likelihood of readers doubting you in some way.

Something that helped me when I started posting online, was to consider the idea that 'The Meaning of Your Communication is The Response You Get' [9] -

Quote:Quote:

In communicating with other people, what matters more: what we intend to convey, or the actual response we get? Who is responsible for your communication? The meaning of our communication is not what we think it means. It is based on the response we get from the other person...

For example, we might intend to pay someone a compliment, and if they take it the wrong way, what can we do about that? Would it make sense to argue that they should just take it as a compliment and chill out? Perhaps a better approach is to notice that for them to receive it, compliments must be delivered differently.

I've included this because it appears that you have gotten into some disagreements here at RVF. In light of this, my suggestion would be to reconsider your writing style and to perhaps use a more friendly, curious approach when responding, rather than going against others as a means to defend yourself. In addition, while I acknowledge that you are travelling through a very poor country (Cambodia) and are describing some genuinely distressing experiences, my suggestion would be to also highlight a positive or helpful aspect to your journey. Judging by your reported success with women, you are a value-giving, cool guy in person. Perhaps this engaging aspect of your personality is just not conveyed as well through text here.

In closing, I think that you tell interesting, quality stories and if I was in Cambodia now I would meet you. I hope this has been useful for you. Cheers [Image: smile.gif]

Links

[1] Beyond Borders - RE: Deep friendships / Friendship groups
[2] (see my signature)
[3] Irish - RVF BGM ('Big Guns Meetup') 5-7th Feb Bangkok - A Resounding Success
[4] Irish - RVF Big Guns Meetup #2 April 2016 - Manila
[5] Roosh - Official introduction thread
[6] Roosh - How to use this forum (meetups)
[7] Roosh - How To Securely Communicate And Meet With Thought Criminals
[8] Roosh - Finalized Forum Rules
[9] Perception Studios - About NLP: The meaning of your communication

Saw this on Reddit today, pretty applicable:

“I heard it proposed lately that two young men should travel together over the world,the one without money, earning his means as he went, before the mast and behind the plough, the other carrying a bill of exchange in his pocket. It was easy to see that they could not long be companions or cooperate, since one would not operate at all. They would part at the first interesting crisis in their adventures. Above all, as I have implied, the man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till the other is ready, and it may be a long time before they get off.”- Henry David Thoreau

Post a pic of your favorite wing - no homo!

[Image: gay.gif]

Kidding, kidding. All trolling aside, the whole world is full of wings - why bring one from home? Go meet people, have fun. Start hanging out with local guys in the new location.

To be honest, I open groups and pick up girls a lot easier when I'm by myself. In Asia, especially, foreign guys traveling together will be more intimidating. Assuming you're off the beaten track and not in the usual foreign hunting grounds, that is.

I like traveling with a friend from time to time, but solo is definitely the way to go, in my opinion. Not only does it open more doors for me, but embracing it is one less excuse to not go out or not throw yourself in the mix.

And when it comes to traveling, having another Westerner with you heavily paints your experiences. It's like bringing a big chunk of home with you that you never quite leave behind, and the end result is you never get the chance to wrap your mind around the more unique, paradigm-shifting aspects of travel. You develop your own lingo, your own mini-culture, your own shared assumptions about what you're seeing before you even see it - and it's almost impossible to break out of that once it starts.

Yes, solo can be uncomfortable sometimes, whether going to the club or going abroad, but that discomfort will reward you and turn you into a more complete player and person in the end.

It sounds like you've been traveling solo nearly as long as me, OP, so I don't want to preach too much (perhaps a bit late for that), but I'd say if you're noticing difficulty breaking into groups because you're alone, it's not so much a better/worse dichotomy as it is a part of your game or personality you ought to really work on.

For instance, I also have caught some other posts of yours, and my takeaway just from the stuff I read was that you have some real holes in your social skills overall that could use a bit of work. You obviously pull ass left and right, but it seems you don't like people all that much and they may or may not like you once they get to know you a little bit. I believe I recall you expressing that you don't get how people enjoy interacting with people when they're out.

So that facet of your personality may be the actual issue at hand here.

That being said, I don't want to harp on you too much - obviously lots of other guys struggle with going out solo too, even in their own home cities. I'd say guys like me who can do it night after night and actually enjoy it more are a bit of a rarity. I say it's a major strength, but I suppose I'm biased.

And hell, if my impression about your social skills is correct, traveling with a cool guy might actually round you out a bit more, assuming he doesn't share the exact same sticking points as you do.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Pros and cons to both so I suggest doing a little of both.

I've always gotten farther off the beaten path when I traveled alone and the one criticism I have of forum guys is that we tend to stay together in big cities and tourist districts too much which seems to be heavily influenced by online game. Unfortunately it seems that guys are getting addicted to online game and let flaky girls dominate their location and schedule.

Traveling alone can be difficult though especially for extroverts who need more social interaction.

It is much easier to find girls than quality guys to hang out with.

Do you guys use other websites or forums to meet people? What do you use?

I've used meetup.com to find language exchanges. I haven't used couchsurfing or internations.

Quote: (01-31-2017 01:46 PM)birthday cat Wrote:  

Pros and cons to both so I suggest doing a little of both.

I've always gotten farther off the beaten path when I traveled alone and the one criticism I have of forum guys is that we tend to stay together in big cities and tourist districts too much which seems to be heavily influenced by online game. Unfortunately it seems that guys are getting addicted to online game and let flaky girls dominate their location and schedule.

Traveling alone can be difficult though especially for extroverts who need more social interaction.

It is much easier to find girls than quality guys to hang out with.

Do you guys use other websites or forums to meet people? What do you use?

I've used meetup.com to find language exchanges. I haven't used couchsurfing or internations.

I have used this site before and I met a few wings or just fellows travelers for company over the years.

http://www.travbuddy.com/

Quote: (01-17-2017 12:00 PM)invictusiii Wrote:  

I'm planning to hit up Bogota next week though. It's probably all in my head but I've never been this nervous about visiting anywhere. I've wandered places like Rio and Kiev alone at night without a care in the world but I think I've read too much Internet fear hype around Colombia.
Don't get punched in the dick. Lots of dick punching in Bogota.