rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Should I learn Russian or Polish?

I know Russian can be much more useful because it is spoken in many countries but i still think it is better to live in Poland than Russia ou Ukraine*. Because it is more secure and both Polish and Russian and Polish women are equal.

Russian. Not just for women but many other reasons.

I think you should make your own decision.

It depends whether you want to talk to 400m or 40m i guess.

Russian.

Where are you planning on living to use the language? If Poland, you already have your answer.

Choose one you feel more interested in, master it and then learn the other. Knowing one, you'll pick up on the next. As you probably already know, there are quite some similarities in words between the two languages.

Just don't try both at the same time.

Russian would be an added bonus in Poland, with the influx of Ukrainians you see, especially in mid-sized to larger cities.

Учи русский язык блядь!

That video reminds me of

"Blyat blyat blyat suka blyat"

If only you knew how bad things really are.

If you're set on living in Poland, then Polish for sure. Measure how much you want to live in Poland vs a Russian speaking country, and take into account how long you'll stay in Poland as well.

Objectively speaking, Russian is obviously more useful in a grander sense, but again that becomes rather irrelevant in a place like Poland.

I actually have a similar problem with Japanese vs Mandarin. I'm torn between if I want to stay a min of a year in Japan or Taiwan, so I'm a bit at a paralysis stage in language learning because of it.

Thank you guys for your answers, i also think that Russian is more useful. I am living in East Germany and i move sometimes to some Polish cities during holidays and i found out that there is still a big number of Polish people who doesnt speak English. I've never been in a Russian speaking country but it seems like English there have no use at all. The only disadvantage is that i have to make a visum to visit any Russian speaking country but not for Poland which is also 1 hours far from me

^Based on your post, I would say that it wouldn't hurt to learn Polish to a survival/basic conversational level. At least you would have opportunities to use it in a live setting as opposed to Russian.

Polish is considered the least difficult Slavic language for Westerners to learn; Russian more difficult, but more valuable to you because of that. http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/l...index.html

Learn them both.

Quote: (10-01-2016 01:05 PM)Odin.fils.de.bor Wrote:  

I know Russian can be much more useful because it is spoken in many countries but i still think it is better to live in Poland than Russia ou Ukraine*. Because it is more secure and both Polish and Russian and Polish women are equal.

Russian all the way.

1. If you do learn it learning Polish will be times easier.
2. Russian, Belorussian and Ukrainian chicks are slightly higher in quality than Polish. IMO
3. Where people speak Russian they speak very bad English.
4. Can be useful in business and will look very good on any CV.
5. Russian is still one of the most used Languages in the world.
http://listverse.com/2008/06/26/top-10-m...the-world/

Here is the list of Languages assorted by a priority if you want to travel and get pussy.
1. English - allows you access to 100% of the world but with very limited results, as English speaking countries are not the most desired.
2. Spanish - access to Latinas.
3. Russian - access to FSU hotties.

Anything more than these 3 is optional.

Quote: (10-04-2016 12:33 PM)scrambled Wrote:  

Polish is considered the least difficult Slavic language for Westerners to learn; Russian more difficult, but more valuable to you because of that. http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/l...index.html

I disagree. Polish grammar is slightly but consistently more complex than Russian. In Polish there's more verb inflection (the past tense in Russian is way easier) and there's also one extra pronoun (in Russian you've got они - 3rd person plural, but in Polish you've got "oni" (3rd person plural masculine/masculine+fem and/or neutr.) and also "one" (3rd person plural non masculine).

In addition case endings are more complicated. Take the locative case in Polish. The Russian equivalent is the prepositional case, which is relatively straight forward, whereas in Polish it's extremely complicated as it declines based on the last consonant (or combination of letters) as opposed to it's gender (so basically there's a lot more possible endings).

I also think there's more foreign loan words in Russian that come from French, German or English, that in Polish are slavic instead. E.g "Floor" = "piętro" in polish but in Russian = "этаж". Furthermore, I also find the preposition system to be slightly more complicated in Polish (for example, you use different prepositions depending on whether you are going to a city, mountains, or sea/lake, water place in general).

The good news is that both languages can complement each other. I usually find Russian text books and learning material to be of better quality than their Polish counter parts. Overall, it's a bit like learning Spanish and French (where Spanish = Russian - the "easier" language, and French = Polish - the slightly harder one). Knowledge of one language makes it easier to learn the second one.

To the OP, you seem to have an interest in Poland and it's also very accessible to you, since you live in Germany. I would go with Polish first and perhaps eventually Russian.

Тот, кто не рискует, тот не пьет шампанского

Unless your goal is academic masturbation, it doesn't make sense to choose a language based on difficulty. First, define your non-language goals. Your language choice follows from that. This isn't complicated.

I would go with Russian. A lot of Slavs like Ukrainians and Belorussians also know Russian because it was taught in school. It gives you access to many Slavs instead of just one nationality.

Russian is a generally more useful language. Spoken by more people in more countries the world over. Also from my understanding isn't there a lot of English spoken in Poland anyway?

I would recommend following Rooshs advice and beginning to learn the language of the country you're living in 2 weeks after your plane lands. This way your fluency in a language is directly related to the amount of time spent living there and your opportunity to utilize it. You've never been to Russia, why learn Russian? What if you learn it and find you hate living there?

Theorizing and making plans based on how "useful" a language is is worthless unless you plan to spend time around the people who speak it.

With Russian you'd be learning a new character set (Cyrillic) something you don't have to do with Polish (Latin). Something you might want to keep in mind as well.

Quote: (10-06-2016 10:41 PM)MKDAWUSS Wrote:  

With Russian you'd be learning a new character set (Cyrillic) something you don't have to do with Polish (Latin). Something you might want to keep in mind as well.

Yeah, but learning the alphabet is surprisingly easy.

I also forgot to add that formal speech in Polish is again more complex. In Russian you basically use the "вы" form, whereas in Polish you have "Pan", "Pani" and "Państwo". All these small (and not so small) details add up and make Polish considerably harder than Russian. I also seem to find many Polish expressions or words that are hard to translate accurately into English. Take "zapraszam" for example. A rough translation would be either "welcome" or "I invite" but you don't really have an English equivalent.

Тот, кто не рискует, тот не пьет шампанского

Appropriate username bro....

[Image: smile.gif]

Russian words are fairly phonetic spelling and they don't have articles (not sure about polish).

Russian! It's much more widely used and will serve you well in several EE countries. Polish can always come after.

Both. Once you learn one it will make the other a lot easier. I was raised speaking English, Polish and Spanish in the home; my father is Polish and my Mother is from Andalusia, I was born in the US.

I took Russian in college and I had it tons easier than the other students because of my Polish. There are a lot of cognates and the basic structure and conjugation and declination rules are similar. In many ways Polish sounds like a softer Russian with many of the hard consonants removed.

If you have to pick just one, I'd echo the replies above. Russian is probably more useful.