rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advice needed: Bank card 'skimmed' after ONS

Lads,

An unusual situation and advice needed. I already apologise for the long text.

I went home to a Erasmus student last weekend. Had good time, got my French flag, and we've kept in touch with the aim of hooking up again. So far, nothing out of the ordinary in the story.

This week, more specifically on Thursday, I get a message from my bank saying that my card had been blocked due to fraudulent transactions. Seeing as it's a Swedish card, and I'm currently in Portugal, after spending some time in Brasil, I shrugged it off. When I checked my account, approx. $1300 were stolen in five different transactions. I have already done everything that I needed to do: contacted the bank, closed the card, made a claim, and started the process that will hopefully get my money back. I looked into the company that made the transactions. It's an internet bank called SunTrust that has a service where if you have a card from a different bank it allows you to transfer money to theirs for a $3 fee.

I have reasons to believe that when I was taking a shower, she copied the details or took a picture of it. The reason for this is due to the fact that since coming back from Brazil four weeks ago, I have not used that specific card in any instance, be it ATM, supermarket check-out, etc. I have not left my wallet unattended in any situation, except for when I was taking a shower at her place. I may be imagining things, but for some reason, after the shower I had looked at my wallet on top of her drawer and had a gut feeling which I chose to ignore.

Today she texted wondering if I was free any night of this week. After some texts we agreed on meeting up on Tuesday.

Now the question, I am 99% positive that she did it. If she did, I would think that it would take some massive balls to invite me back to her place. However, having read many of the stories of fellow RVFs, I'm frankly no longer surprised to any kind of female behaviour. She could just flake and use this 'text initiation' as way to try and deviate suspicion or something. If she doesn't flake, should I point blank confront her in the morning point and judge her reaction? I could ask to check my email on her computer and type that website or history and see what happens. Given that she uses SoundCloud, I could ask to change the music on her phone and look for my profile, whilst looking at her pictures to see if she has taken a photo of my card - Really stupid if she hadn't removed it afterwards, but you never know. Do you guys have any advice for this shit?

Thanks in advance

-Hidden camera in your apartment
-Invite her over
-leave out fresh card like before
-Take a shower
-Review the tape

Bitches are like magnets around wallets.

By the way, the basic rule is putting your pants back on, casually, with your wallet still in the pocket, and only then going to take a shower. Or after sex, go take the shower, ok, but "casually" scoop up clean underwear and your pants, and lock them up with you in the bathroom. Never leave your pants or jacket - wherever you hide your wallet, behind you, when taking a shower. Other option, depending on the layout of the bathroom: let the door (and shower drape) open while quickly showering, having a clear line of sight to your pants-jacket lying nearby on a chair or the ground...

Am I the only one who has no clue in which country this happened?

I'm actually getting worse at the internet over time.

If she did steal $1,300 out of your account she probably knows you have closed it and are aware of the theft.

How well do you know this girl? Could she be working with someone else?

If the purpose of banging you was to steal your money, she will probably steal from you again. This time it might not be of the non-violent kind.

I would be very cautious, especially when going to her apartment since that is where her "logistics" are setup tightly.

Quote: (12-06-2015 06:06 PM)Onto Wrote:  

This time it might not be of the non-violent kind.

For emphasis.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Careful - she may be coming for your kidney next! ;-)

Seriously now - she may have used a card copier. By leaving out your CC you did basically what's in South America is referred to as 'dar papaya'. Lock it up! When I'm out to play I always bring only one CC and it's hidden deep inside my jacket. Otherwise I only carry a handful of cash which I distribute across several pockets.

If she works with a crew you may want to watch your ass. Even if you film it and confront her I don't think you'll get your money back. If you do it make sure she doesn't work for a crew. If it was me - I would just move on and try to get my money back from the CC card. You live - you learn. Good luck.

"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."
– Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

If she did steal $1,300 out of your account she probably knows you have closed it and are aware of the theft.

If the purpose of banging you was to steal your money, she will probably steal from you again. This time it might not be of the non-violent kind.

I would be very cautious, especially when going to her apartment since that is where her "logistics" are setup tightly.

Agreed and with all due respect to Roosh, I would just report it to the bank and to the local law enforcement agency and other than that, just leave it alone.

As The Humungous said, Just Walk Away. Absolutely no upside to any further interaction with that chick, and significant downside potential.

Quote: (12-06-2015 05:21 PM)Going strong Wrote:  

By the way, the basic rule is putting your pants back on, casually, with your wallet still in the pocket, and only then going to take a shower. Or after sex, go take the shower, ok, but "casually" scoop up clean underwear and your pants, and lock them up with you in the bathroom. Never leave your pants or jacket - wherever you hide your wallet, behind you, when taking a shower. Other option, depending on the layout of the bathroom: let the door (and shower drape) open while quickly showering, having a clear line of sight to your pants-jacket lying nearby on a chair or the ground...

Sometimes... I think we are all brothers when I read shit like this because it is EXACTLY what I do. I would love to do a threesome one day but the dread of a woman going through my stuff while I am banging the other is the deterrent.

This goes in the "women love conditionally" category. haha. Man these sluts are ruthless anymore.

Years ago I had a girl was banging steal my wallet during a small party in my house.. only 7-8 people there. I got up off couch to piss, knew it was on couch, came out of bathroom, poof she had bee-lined for her car, wallet I was quite certain was on couch was gone.

I immediately asked everyone where she went, no one saw her take anything, just said she went outside. She was apparently gonna just try to stash it in her car and leave with it later. After she came back in, I directly asked her where it was, she said she didn't know, but I was 99% sure she took it.

Having a recording studio in my house at the time, I had condenser mic hooked up to the board running through my monitors (and recording). I got everyone in the house and made an announcement that ONE person there took something of mine that had better be returned because I blocked the driveway with my car so no one was getting out until it appeared. Otherwise cops would be called and party was over.

I went in my bedroom for a few minutes and came back out to see the wallet right were it was taken from, with everything in it. Next day I reviewed the recording, ramped up the gain so I could hear what everyone said when I went in my bedroom, and heard the girl I was bangin say to another girl:"Holy shit, hurry up, give me my keys he knows.." Needless to say, that was last time she was around.

On so many levels I don't trust American bitches... shady as hell.

Dom,

You may be right that she was the source of the fraud, but don't be too certain of it. I'm not defending her, I'm just pointing out that fraudulent credit card transactions can happen any time and from any source.

It could have been someone who works at a store. Or at a gas station. Or on the internet. Or anywhere. It is very easy to do.

It happens all the time.

The bottom line is that, any time you see fraudulent transactions, you cancel the card and have a new one issued to you. And you just have to make sure you safeguard your information as much as possible. Don't leave wallets or cards around for open viewing, ever.

That's pretty much all you can do.

Card skimming is very common in Brazil. Go google it and there should be a bunch of articles. I can almost guarantee you that you probably got skimmed at an ATM in Brazil. I know several travelers who have and I always take precautions in Brazil by only keeping $300 in my checking account at any time.

I give four to one odds that it happened in Brasil and not in the bedroom with the girl.

Couple other things I'm not following here.

Have you been using an ATM bank card to make purchases or pay for services? If so, this is not a good thing to do. You should only be using credit cards or cash to pay for things abroad, never ATM cards linked to your bank account.

Credit cards have much better fraud protections than ATM cards, and any potential thief has no access to your bank account.

I've used ATM cards all over the world (including in Brazil for many years) and never had a problem.

And if you do use ATM cards abroad, always use them at a major bank, such as Banco do Brasil. Never use them in dorky little supermercados or places like that. You get better exchange rates, and better protection.

Also, always use an ATM where you are indoors, and not on the street or exposed to public view.

Depending on where I am traveling, I get reloadable debit cards, and only put a few hundred on each, then spread throughout my clothing.
I also never use my bank or credit cards for online purchases, use the reloadable debit cards for that too.
With so many big companies getting hacked, I ain't risking my main accounts, if I lose a hundred from a stolen/hacked loadable debit card, no worries.

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

I've had my card details stolen and I never use it in any sketchy circumstances, websites, not even atms. Could have been from the database of a legit company that was hacked, no one knows. It doesn't need to leave your wallet for this to happen. All I know is some guy bought $100 worth of groceries in South Florida twice [Image: dodgy.gif]

Could be your lady friend, but it could also happen without your card ever being physically exposed.

Americans are dreamers too

Seduce her.

Tie her up.

Have your wicked way with her.

Take her to the police station still tied up.

"Especially Roosh offers really good perspectives. But like MW said, at the end of the day, is he one of us?"

- Reciproke, posted on the Roosh V Forum.

SunTrust is a popular bank in the American southwest. I used to have an account with them when I lived in DC. If there was a transfer of funds from your account to SunTrust, your bank will open an investigation and should be able to trace back the transfer to a specific account, which should be tied to a specific person or entity. If you're getting law enforcement involved, ask for them to reveal the name of that person for your future safety. "I have reason to believe that a specific person may have been involved in the incident, and would like to protect myself from future occurrences." The cops may not be able to reveal their identity, but they may be able to trace it back to them and have them charged.

If you're not getting LEO involved, ask your bank at the conclusion of their investigation. They may not be able to tell you for 'privacy reasons', but it's worth a shot. Chances are, your card was skimmed or a retailer you used it with was hacked. Unless you're withdrawing from an ATM, opt for credit cards. They have much better fraud protection and liability structure.

Quote: (12-06-2015 04:39 PM)Dom Filipe Wrote:  

... I looked into the company that made the transactions. It's an internet bank called SunTrust that has a service where if you have a card from a different bank it allows you to transfer money to theirs for a $3 fee.

Minor point, and not sure if it's relevant or helpful, but SunTrust is a major, "real," brick-and-mortar bank in the US, with branches all over the place. They have about $200 billion in assets. Point being, they almost certainly have a large anti-fraud department that might be able to help you.

EDIT: D'oh, thoughtgypsy beat me to it.

I would advise against telling the bank you think you know who it us. There is a chance the bank will cancel your fraud claim and tell you that you need to file charges against her. I've seen it happen. Let them do their own investigation.

Quote: (12-07-2015 12:40 AM)nomadicdude Wrote:  

Card skimming is very common in Brazil. Go google it and there should be a bunch of articles. I can almost guarantee you that you probably got skimmed at an ATM in Brazil. I know several travelers who have and I always take precautions in Brazil by only keeping $300 in my checking account at any time.

Agreed. I was skimmed at the ATM in the closest Train Station to Copacobana beach around 5 years ago. Made a police report where I was told they were 'investigating' an organised gang.

There was no external devices on the atm which was the only one I used in that country. It must have been the owner of the ATM or whoever maintained it.

Got my money back, but almost got kicked out of my hostel because it was over Carnival and their banks close down over there.

Thank you for the replies/advice

Quote: (12-06-2015 05:21 PM)Going strong Wrote:  

I will take note of this for the future. Even if it wasn't her it really was a school boy error.

I don't know this chick other than my interaction with her that night and morning. I've already done small background check and confirmed that she is an Erasmus student at the University she stated and some other small details via LinkedIn and couchsurfing; in incognito mode, so that she can't see my snooping. Also considering that she is living in a shared apartment with four other students, another two french chicks, a Swedish guy, and fourth which I can't remember. If it were to be of the violent sort the rest of the crew would have to be her flatmates, as it would be difficult to do anything without them knowing.

Quote: (12-07-2015 01:11 AM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

Couple other things I'm not following here.

Have you been using an ATM bank card to make purchases or pay for services? If so, this is not a good thing to do. You should only be using credit cards or cash to pay for things abroad, never ATM cards linked to your bank account.

Credit cards have much better fraud protections than ATM cards, and any potential thief has no access to your bank account.

I've used ATM cards all over the world (including in Brazil for many years) and never had a problem.

And if you do use ATM cards abroad, always use them at a major bank, such as Banco do Brasil. Never use them in dorky little supermercados or places like that. You get better exchange rates, and better protection.

Also, always use an ATM where you are indoors, and not on the street or exposed to public view.

I was in Rio for about three weeks, and I have been now in Lisbon for the past 4. I took two CCs to Rio, both MasterCards. One was skimmed in the very first ATM i took money out (a dorky ATM in Leblon Shopping), which also happened to be the first transaction I made in Rio. They managed to get out 1000 Reais from an ATM in Sao Paulo the next day. I used the second card for the rest of my stay there. I used it to both get money out and to pay. It's possible that they skimmed/copied the details during that time and waited quite a long time to take the money out. While in Portugal I've been using the replacement for the first one.

If I do meet up I would be taking all the necessary precautions, e.g. in a bar getting my own drinks, and not leaving them unattended, if I'd drink at her place I'd only drinking things I would see her pour, I also let somebody know where she lives. However, all of this seems overkill when she might not have done it. Considering the fact that Portuguese girls are pretty hard (and I can confirm this thread to be accurate), it would be good with a weekly easy fuck; not expecting to turn a hoe into a housewife.

Right now I'm inclined at doing as redpillage and Mr. Wolf suggested and just walk away and learn from it...

Seriously dude the chances of that girl skimming your card are almost 0.

Sleeping with someone and 'skimming' their card is way too much risk for the typical card fraudster, chances are it was skimmed at a shop where you used it in Brazil and probably sold on to someone else who knew how to transfer the money without being caught. It's not the kind of thing where some girl can just decide to take the opportunity to take your card info and commit fraud while you have a pretty good idea of who she is. You can't just go around doing shit like that without getting caught.

Maybe if you're sleeping with pros in a third world country. But a french student in Portugal? I doubt it.