rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Greenpeace stops Shell by hanging from a Bridge

The Article

Quote:Quote:

13 people are dangling off the bridge and preventing the Shell exploration ship from leaving

Greenpeace activists swung off Portland, Ore.’s St. Johns Bridge on Wednesday in an attempt to stop a Shell Oil Arctic icebreaker from leaving the city.

Thirteen protestors rappelled off the city’s tallest bridge, with 13 others remaining on the bridge as lookouts, according to the Associated Press.

The activists are equipped with food and water for days and are capable of hoisting themselves up to allow other ships to pass, said Annie Leonard, executive director of Greenpeace USA.

The Royal Dutch Shell PLC icebreaker Fennica arrived in Portland last week for repairs after being damaged earlier this month in the Aleutian Islands when it hit an underwater obstruction, causing its hull to rip apart. Fennica is an important part of Shell’s exploration fleet of ships and spill-response team off the Alaskan northwest coast.

The activists are worried that the area Fennica is going to go to will block cleanup efforts should a spill occur. They had hoped the Obama administration would have rejected permit requests from Shell to drill in the Chukchi Sea. Instead, the administration gave Shell the go-ahead to begin limited exploration of oil drilling sites.

The bridge danglers hope the delay will kill the amount of time Shell will have to explore the Alaskan coast, as the summer season is winding down. They’re also hoping the government might reconsider its approval of the plan.

“These climbers hanging on the bridge really are at this point the last thing standing between Shell’s plan to drill in the Arctic and the Arctic,” Leonard said.

The U.S. Geological Survey estimates that combined Arctic offshore reserves in the Chukchi and Beaufort seas amount to about 26 billion barrels of oil.

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, but they're getting their point across, there is a certain demographic that don't want further drilling and especially in the Arctic. A step forward for renewables and those advocates of stopping climate change.

"Money over bitches, nigga stick to the script." - Jay-Z
They gonna love me for my ambition.

I'd be curious what their equipment is made of. The water and food storage, the ropes, shelter.

I'm guessing they aren't hemp ropes and ferns for shelter. I'm guessing they aren't using metal containers for food and water storage.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

The Greenpeace goons are mercenaries, look for the one who benefits from Shell not be able to drill in that area.

"What is important is to try to develop insights and wisdom rather than mere knowledge, respect someone's character rather than his learning, and nurture men of character rather than mere talents." - Inazo Nitobe

When i´m feeling blue, when i just need something to shock me up, i look at this thread and everything get better!

Letters from the battlefront: Argentina

Heavy- That would be the definition of irony wouldn't it?

I'm reading Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six and I see a few commonalities with them and the radical group that wanted to release ebola on the world in the book.

"Money over bitches, nigga stick to the script." - Jay-Z
They gonna love me for my ambition.

Quote: (07-30-2015 01:49 PM)TheFinalEpic Wrote:  

I'm reading Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six and I see a few commonalities with them and the radical group that wanted to release ebola on the world in the book.

Great name drop, I LOVE his books, RIP to that guy.

Quote: (07-30-2015 01:39 PM)heavy Wrote:  

I'd be curious what their equipment is made of. The water and food storage, the ropes, shelter.

I'm guessing they aren't hemp ropes and ferns for shelter. I'm guessing they aren't using metal containers for food and water storage.

Greenpeace and environmentalists are the original SJWs. The same "shock and outrage" tactics used by them have been borrowed by feminists, black lives matter and rape culture activists.

My all time favourite line, along your example heavy, when people would say "stop cutting down the forests! I don't use print out paper!" I'd say "What do you wipe your ass with then, plastic?" It comes from an old bumper sticker that says "If you object to logging, try using plastic toilet paper"

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Green peace is classified as a terrorist organization(By the UN)

If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.

Disable "Click here to Continue"

My Testosterone Adventure: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V

if it happened to you it’s your fault, I got no sympathy and I don’t believe your version of events.

So whats stopping the ropes being cut? Not like they're of any use to the world.

Don't think its going to well for them...

13 protesters repelled off a bridge to block a Shell icebreaker ship from leaving

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A federal judge in Alaska has ordered Greenpeace USA to pay a fine of $2,500 for every hour that protesters continue to block a Royal Dutch Shell icebreaker from leaving Portland, Oregon, for the Arctic.

U.S. District Court Judge Sharon Gleason ruled Thursday in Anchorage that Greenpeace is in civil contempt because of protesters dangling off a bridge in Portland, whom she said impeded the Shell vessel.

Gleason in May granted Shell’s request that activists protesting Shell’s Arctic drilling plans be ordered to stay away from Shell vessels and beyond buffer zones.

http://time.com/3979195/judge-greenpeace-shell-protest/

Would those hanging protesters really have kept the ship from stopping its advance? I thought it would have shoved them aside...

Quote: (07-30-2015 04:27 PM)MKDAWUSS Wrote:  

Would those hanging protesters really have kept the ship from stopping its advance? I thought it would have shoved them aside...

The ship would not just ram them we're talking an oil major here. The cost in PR and law suits etc would not be worth it.

Quite frankly, I'd rather people protest like this than snarky twitter campaigns or mob violence.

Quote: (07-30-2015 04:30 PM)Metal Wrote:  

Quote: (07-30-2015 04:27 PM)MKDAWUSS Wrote:  

The ship would not just ram them we're talking an oil major here. The cost in PR and law suits etc would not be worth it.

I agree, its the same reason logging companies just don't saw down the trees while the hippies are still chained to them...

Though back in 1989 when some hippies blocked a logging road, the logging company quietly just built a detour around them.

These bastards seem to have a hard on for Shell as they've pulled these stunts a couple of times on oil sites in Alberta, including one that I was working on back in 2009. I'll never forget the day that my boss called me to inform me that my work was cancelled for the next two shifts on a double time weekend, those greasy little fuck weasels cost me over a grand. They were smart to have snuck on site after the evening shift ended at 3am because if I saw them running around with their banners I would not hesitate to pick up a wrench and bash one of those fuckers in the face with it.

The French know how to deal with Greenpeace: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of...ow_Warrior

Greenpeace is a necessary evil. If left to their own devices, the oil companies will destroy everything they touch in their quest for maximum profits. Remember Deepwater Horizon? That wasn't the result of one failure, it was the result of many failures over a long period of time. And those failures weren't the fault of the guys on the rig, they were the fault of corporate executives, shareholders, and their unrelenting demand for more profit regardless of the cost.

Quote: (07-30-2015 10:25 PM)porscheguy Wrote:  

Greenpeace is a necessary evil. If left to their own devices, the oil companies will destroy everything they touch in their quest for maximum profits. Remember Deepwater Horizon? That wasn't the result of one failure, it was the result of many failures over a long period of time. And those failures weren't the fault of the guys on the rig, they were the fault of corporate executives, shareholders, and their unrelenting demand for more profit regardless of the cost.
On my crappy cell phone so forgive bad formatting, but let me offer this perspective:

Its in the oil company's best interest to eliminate the likelihood of blowouts that lead to spills when drilling offshore, purely for economic reasons. Here's a pic of an offshore rig:
[Image: Rig%20Drilling.jpg]
The drill string rotates in that pipe called the riser. The riser will allow mud to circulate from the rig floor to the bit to cool, lubricate and remove rock cuttings. This prevents mud and potential fluids from rock formations down hole from contaminating the ocean- the riser ensures fluid containment to surface. Drilling mud is expensive so they would not want to lose that to the ocean. If high pressure formations are encountered down hole, the BOP/blowout preventer can be activated to shut the well in and pressure can be safely bled off in a manifold system up on the rig to buy time for heavier mud to be circulated (add Barite to make the mud heavier and counterbalance high pressure zones). The BOP will basically block all annular fluids from rushing up and either spilling into the atmosphere or ocean, or hurting a worker, both of which are huge financial liabilities. Casing is installed to line the borehole with a metal barrier, which prevents produced hydrocarbons from escaping into either other rock formations or the ocean. Huge waste of potential profit. A casing job with good cementing is critical to ensure the metal casing string enjoys a long life- improper placement and isolation will eventually lead to issues like metal corrosion which will lead to leaks. All activity is closely monitored by state, provincial or federal regulatory agencies. If a company has a big Fuck up, the regulatory body is put In a tough spot because they lose potential tax dollars and royalties due to cleanups or having to suspend a violating company from future ops. Yes- regulatory bodies frequently ban companies from drilling if they don't play by the rules. That's going to hurt the bank account. Needless to say, Greenpeace isn't a "necessary evil" for oil companies, the potential harm to a companies bottom line will generally keep them from cutting corners.

Can you imagine how the greedy shareholders of BP felt when Deepwater Horizon blew out? The reservoir was pooched, all the oil escaped until they were able to drill that relief well. What a waste of money, and this is not even considering all the environmental/public perception issues that they had to pay up the ass to deal with in the aftermath.

A well drilled with sound engineering and good well integrity will reap much higher economic rewards than a well with shit design parameters. Oil can't be replaced overnight as an energy source, contrary to Greenpeace's opinion on the matter, so we have to make due with best practises for oil exploitation for now.

Watching the local news tonight the cops finally got their act together and removed them. Nice to know my taxes are going to pay for the police/fire dept overtime to collect these retards instead of just cutting the ropes and dropping them in the river.

Greenpeace is trying way too hard. Don't they know that the only way to stop these oil companies is a successful hashtag campaign?

^Komatiite, you make a good argument and for the most part I agree with pretty much everything that you've wrote on here over the years, I know that you're well educated in everything oil but I've recently come to the conclusion that the oil industry can suck a big fat cock! Look what has happened recently in Fort Mcmurray, one of the biggest fucking oil spills in Canadian history and those guys are already sweeping it under the rug, nothing to see here! The pipe that burst was built in 2014, and the Canadian government and the oil companies are trying to convince the general public, especially those in BC that the new pipelines are safe, good luck with that idiots, what a fucking PR disaster! Anyway, I'm pro-oil overall because of the benefits for the people of our country, but big oil can fuck right off! I will continue this rant on my oil sands thread in the coming weeks but all I can say is that I've found work elsewhere and I will likely be selling my condo in Alberta and once again BIG OIL CAN EAT A BIG FAT DICK!

Quote: (07-30-2015 01:51 PM)kaotic Wrote:  

Quote: (07-30-2015 01:49 PM)TheFinalEpic Wrote:  

Great name drop, I LOVE his books, RIP to that guy.

RIP indeed. His books are fabulous light reading. It makes me quite sad that I won't get to read another actually.

On the topic, my local Shell garage has a copy of a High Court Order pinned to its window banning anyone associated with Greenpeace from stepping foot on their premises across the UK.

I don't know what it is about but the two obviously have some history.

Somebody should call the Gendarmes...

Greenpeace is a necessary evil.

No, they are not.

They are a bunch of hysterical gays.

I woulda kept the ship moving and let the lawyers sort it out.

Know why? Never again would some 30 year old virgin try to stop a ship thinking that his government would save his ass.

Greenpeace is a globalist organisation fully on board with the global warming scam and actually perfectly in line with most corporations.

All initial co-founders left Greenpeace in the 1990s as their environmentalist and peace-promoting organisation was taken over by the big banker boys. If you have infinite amount of money you can take over most organisations.

[Image: GreenpeaceDec09.jpg]

And here someone fighting back against Greenpeace with their own crappy methods.

“Greenpeace’s callous disregard for the truth and people’s well-being has become intolerable,”said Craig Rucker, executive director of the Committee For A Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT), a public policy group that emphasizes environmental stewardship and the enhancement of health and living standards for people everywhere. “So we decided to take action.”

CFACT unfurled the banner for two reasons, CFACT president David Rothbard explained. “Greenpeace ships, like the Rainbow Warrior and Arctic Sunrise, have become global symbols for radical environmentalism, and we wanted to call attention to the harm these groups are causing. Second, it seemed appropriate to use one of Greenpeace’s own favorite tactics to make this point.”

“Greenpeace has been using these kinds of tactics for decades, and now they can find out what it’s like to have a little taste of their own medicine,” said Rucker who masterminded the operation.

^ Also true, some of the more 'hardcore' tree hugging groups have labelled greenpeace as sellouts. In logging greenpeace no longer does blockading of logging operations that is done by smaller more radical groups.

I also disagree that environmentalists like greenpeace are a necessary evil. A forestry example is that if you treating the forest like a garbage can you are 'poisoning the well' and will fuck up your future harvests the same way a farmer would by depleting their farm fields/soil. Medieval german forest managers figured this out and didn't need a bunch of hippies to travel back in time to tell them.

I also never see killing people as a necessary evil. The original tool of logging protestors were tree spikes...pieces of metal driven into trees that would destroy chainsaws or sawmill blades when they hit, killing and maiming loggers and mill workers.

Quote: (07-31-2015 03:40 AM)scotian Wrote:  

^Komatiite, you make a good argument and for the most part I agree with pretty much everything that you've wrote on here over the years, I know that you're well educated in everything oil but I've recently come to the conclusion that the oil industry can suck a big fat cock! Look what has happened recently in Fort Mcmurray, one of the biggest fucking oil spills in Canadian history and those guys are already sweeping it under the rug, nothing to see here! The pipe that burst was built in 2014, and the Canadian government and the oil companies are trying to convince the general public, especially those in BC that the new pipelines are safe, good luck with that idiots, what a fucking PR disaster! Anyway, I'm pro-oil overall because of the benefits for the people of our country, but big oil can fuck right off! I will continue this rant on my oil sands thread in the coming weeks but all I can say is that I've found work elsewhere and I will likely be selling my condo in Alberta and once again BIG OIL CAN EAT A BIG FAT DICK!

Why did the pipe burst and who was responsible?

Was it due to 3rd party works? Operation outside of thee design conditions? poor design? I find it hard to believe a newly constructed pipeline would burst.

This could be the result of an idiot in a digger.

For normal guys, O&G is the best way to make real money. For all the faults of O&G i would rather be doing this than making pennys elsewhere.

Quote: (07-31-2015 03:54 AM)Hotwheels Wrote:  

Greenpeace is a necessary evil.

No, they are not.

They are a bunch of hysterical gays.

I woulda kept the ship moving and let the lawyers sort it out.

Know why? Never again would some 30 year old virgin try to stop a ship thinking that his government would save his ass.

Russian commandos boarding the Greenpeace vessel. I think green peace learnt their lesson.... don't fuck with Russia.

[Image: 05%20hands%20up%20GP0STOS2Z.jpg]