rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Got an offer to reserve a free upgrade to windows 10.

I'm always sort of a late adopter on stuff, once all the kinks are worked out.

I just like shit to work, not big on bells and whistles.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Given the software market's proclivity to treat early adopters as beta testers, I'm personally holding out.

Frankly, my laptop works just fine and it took me a longass time to get used to Windows whateverthefuck I have right now. What's the point.

Check out my occasionally updated travel thread - The Wroclaw Gambit II: Dzięki Bogu - as I prepare to emigrate to Poland.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Don't use that "Get Windows 10" button.

Stick with windows 7 until they get the first major update out. Being an early adopter is a recipe for a world of hurt.

I've been hearing that Microsoft wants to switch their products to a subscription model. I'm still rocking an old version of Office 2003. No way i'm paying a yearly fee to use an office product.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Should I be grabbing extra copies of win 7? Seems like Win 7 64 bit was quite the success. I don't like 8.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Thoughts on Windows 10?

From 8/pol/:

[Image: vzcgQuY.png]

Thoughts on Windows 10?

^^^^^^^^^^^^ WTF!

No wonder it is free.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Don't act so alarmed, every major corporate information/communication service you use today already does this shit. If you've been okay withit sfar then this won't be any different. Facebook, Google, Apple, ISP's, Wireless providers, and a host of other widely used technology and communication companies collect anything and everything about what you do using their service and sell it to people and give it to the government when asked.

MS is an every-other-OS type of company so I have relatively High hopes for 10. Everytime they come out with a new platform they need to flop before they make it right.

Besides, whether you like it or not eventually you are going to be forced to switch anyway if you want to stay current so fucked if you do fucked if you don't. I'm sure you'll be fine with W7 for more years to come, though. MS has stopped developing for W7 so no more service packs or major updates to it besides maintenance and patching, but hell there's people still using XP and getting by just fine.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

I'm still running windows 7 64bit and have no reason to ever upgrade. MS now wants you to set up a MS account when logging in and they want this whole integrated experience. I've never been a fan of the "metro" interface. I skinned Win7 to look classic and minimal. I hate all that colorful and glossy stuff. The best OS is one I don't notice or think about and stays out of my way. All I need is a thin, non-intrusive bar on the bottom of the screen, a start menu which has my main used programs and a few pinned items on the task bar which I use frequently. That's about it.

I think I'll keep Win7 until MS stops supporting it or I get a new computer.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

^^^ Exactly. Let me run the programs I need. Don't try to make the OS the center of attention.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

I accepted the offer of a Windows 10 free offer but the day it becomes available I will still have the option of accepting or rejecting the download. I will wait to install it until I read some more reviews. If the reviews are no good I will not download it.

I do hate how they are pushing towards running your computer as a Microsoft accounts with apps. I don't want apps on my laptop. I wanna run programs I want to run and customize the way I like it. That was the best thing about Windows. You can still do it but it's becoming harder and harder.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Well I've got 2 desktops and 1 laptop running Win7Pro 64bit, and each has the free Win 10 reservation active. Not sure if I'll bite the bullet and maybe just try it on one computer or not.

My Outlook is connected to a remote server half way across the country, and until the server is updated, I'm weary of going all in on all 3 computers.

This video discusses some of the changes users migrating from Win7 might want to be aware of.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Quote: (07-16-2015 02:07 PM)dog Wrote:  

From 8/pol/:

[Image: vzcgQuY.png]

This is a large part of why I'm sticking with OpenBSD

Quote: (07-16-2015 02:48 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

^^^ Exactly. Let me run the programs I need. Don't try to make the OS the center of attention.

And this is why I'm unlikely to jump over to Windows or Apple anytime soon. I don't want to interact with my OS daily. Once every few months to do upgrades is enough.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Fuck that, I'm still using XP.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Thought about Windows 10, but decided against it for now. I have Windows 8.1. While it works and I have had no issues with it thus far, I honestly prefer Windows 7.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

I just got windows 8.1 to work well for me after moving from windows 7 for no reason. At this point I'm gun shy about moving to another version. I wish they just did a re-release of Windows 7 with upgrades.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

I wouldn't upgrade past windows 7 ultimate 64 bit until they refuse to keep supporting it. The latest version of direct X is not a huge factor for me and the newer operating systems look like they were designed for a phone rather than a desktop. I don't want an operating system that is a jack of all trades but a master of none.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

The only substantial thing that I noticed changed between Win XP and Win 7, is that I could hit the Winkey and then type the application I wanted and hit enter. That was good, I liked that. Nothing else was an improvement, it was just more relearning where the eff they had moved things (which fortunately, you could get around using the Winkey type-to-search thing).

The only difference I noticed between Win 7 and Win 8 is they have some stupid tablet-like screen thing that opens first. Why the fuck do I want that? It's a laptop, not a tablet. And those tablet apps don't even open into the taskbar, they exist in a realm of their own, and you can't alt-tab between them and normal applications. There is no other noticeable difference, except I think they added a built-in virus scanner with an effectiveness ranked below every other virus scanner in existence.

The only reason I ever end up with these windows OSs is that they come with the laptop. I just want it to work and not fuck me around. I refuse to use Ubuntu etc, because it is a clumsy piece of crap, and the attitude of the borderline-aspergers linux fanboys on the linux forums is "oh you want to do that? why would you want to do that? don't do that" or "oh you want to do that trivial thing? ok do this 10-step process involving three line long terminal commands and system file changes in a text editor".

I also still use an ancient version of MS Office - barely anything changes each time, so why fuck around with changing stuff.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Quote: (07-17-2015 12:03 PM)Phoenix Wrote:  

The only reason I ever end up with these windows OSs is that they come with the laptop. I just want it to work and not fuck me around. I refuse to use Ubuntu etc, because it is a clumsy piece of crap, and the attitude of the borderline-aspergers linux fanboys on the linux forums is "oh you want to do that? why would you want to do that? don't do that" or "oh you want to do that trivial thing? ok do this 10-step process involving three line long terminal commands and system file changes in a text editor".

Ubuntu is the worst, and I say this as a person who uses *nix systems on personal machines.

Decent *nix systems have a learning curve to set them up and then you just don't have to touch them. To get a system wide GUI like XFCE working on OpenBSD you have to dick around on the command line a bit, but there's a fuckton of documentation and you are done.

Ubuntu doesn't have that sort of documentation. Many of the manual pages don't reflect how Ubuntu actually works. Linux forums are pretty bad too because they tend to fill up with retarded autists trying to get epeen in their asses.

Windows 7 isn't that bad. I hate that using Windows means I have to interact with an OS, but it beats the ever loving shit out of Ubuntu in usability. If you ever for some reason want to learn some basics about how a *nix works get a cheap older machine (PowerPC macs are great for this) and give OpenBSD or FreeBSD a try. More of a learning cliff than a learning curve, but once it works there's actually a feeling that you learned something.

I just want to vent this out because not everyone should use a *nix variant. On an Ubuntu forum people will give you arcane long commands without justifying them. On OpenBSD mailing lists people will tell you to STFU back to Windows (OpenBSD is as close as there is to a shitlord operating system, if you don't care to learn they don't care about you). If at some point though you have the time and itch to learn more about how your machines work, there are worse ways to do it.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Lol, so no one has upgraded to Windows 10.

I'm going to stick with Windows 7. Win 8 was the biggest flop of an OS.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Windows XP is still dope. The problem with Microsoft is that they come out with an efficient OS every 5 years, but make people switch it around annually.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Quote: (07-22-2015 08:41 AM)Fitnesspm Wrote:  

You forget Windows ME... and Microsoft Bob... or IBM's OS/2

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Quote: (07-24-2015 03:01 AM)BBinger Wrote:  

Quote: (07-22-2015 08:41 AM)Fitnesspm Wrote:  

You forget Windows ME... and Microsoft Bob... or IBM's OS/2

Microsoft Bob was actually a nice front end for Windows 3.1 and 95. Though it was too Playskool for most users. You can download it and run it on most Windows machine.

Knock yourself out:
http://toastytech.com/guis/bob.html

Thoughts on Windows 10?

I actually like Windows 8 - that is, Windows 8.1. It's like Windows 7 with a few small upgrades, not some radical departure. I just hope that Windows 10 won't be making any big steps either, but until I find out I am not jumping to try it. I don't want to be a guinea pig.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Quote: (07-16-2015 01:49 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Got an offer to reserve a free upgrade to windows 10.

I'm always sort of a late adopter on stuff, once all the kinks are worked out.

I just like shit to work, not big on bells and whistles.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

I have an older, underpowered netbook computer that was dragging ass running Win7. Video clips would freeze up repeatedly, and it was just sluggish overall. I was about to junk it, but decided to install Win10 (IT guy at my office hooked me up with an eval copy).

Netbook runs great now. IT guy said Win10 is designed to run more efficiently with low-voltage CPUs like those in smaller devices.

It took a while getting used to the GUI differences when jumping from 7 to 10, but after reconfiguring everything to be as 7-like as possible, I don't have any issues, and I am happy that I can get more life out of my little coffee table netbook.

Thoughts on Windows 10?

If you can stand 8 , give 10 a go at the local Best buy.

If you cant stand 8, or are using 7... hold out till "sp2"