rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Mussels

Mussels

What's the general thought on them here? I've been really trying to get away from red meat recently and so I've been cooking seafood more. They seem to have some great benefits although one has to be careful when cooking them (dead mussels are really bad). They certainly have a unique flavor to them.

Mussels

They're amazing, super tasty, and excellent for someone trying to meet macros.

Just expensive. I'd eat more oysters if they were cheaper.

Mussels

Don't eat the ones that won't open after you steam them, I dip them in vinegar but there's lots of different sauces you can dip them in like wine, melted butter, etc.

Mussels

Try them in marinara sauce. They don't fill me up. I can literally keep eating mussels for days.

Mussels

I make my steaming mixture from white wine, water, several cloves of garlic, fresh parsley, salt and pepper

Bring to a simmer in a big pot, drop in mussels, cover and cook for a few minutes until they open

Remove immediately to bowls and pour some sauce over them. Sop up sauce with crusty bread. Drink the rest of the wine with them.

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Mussels

That's basically moules marinières without the thyme, oil/butter, and bay leaf. It's very good and for me mussels are relatively cheap (4$ for 2 pounds of wild) so I'll definitely get them more. That and squid are good nutritional value for what they're worth around where I live.

Mussels

I used to cook Prince Edward Island mussels in butter, white wine, and garlic, but a few years ago I hit a bad batch and woke up in the middle of the night with violent projectile vomiting. It happened so fast I didn't even make it to the bathroom. I haven't felt like eating them since.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Mussels

That happened to me with giant clam sushi a few months ago. I barely made it to the toilet to vomit.

Been off the clam since.

Except the bearded species, of course.

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Mussels

My personal rule has been no shellfish that have been packed in China or India. Put bluntly I don't trust food packers in those two countries and shellfish is too high risk, inherently, for me to ignore the danger of poisoning.

Unfortunately most commercial shellfish sold where I am now is packed in one of those countries so I almost never eat it. Only when I can get locally sourced Crayfish (Lobster...pretty much).

So just make sure your lobsters are packed in the US or Canada and you should probably be OK. "Moulle-Frite" is big in Belgium. Basically Mussels and Fries. Usually served with beer. See if there are any good Belgian restaurants in your city.