rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Robert McKee's Story Seminar

Has anybody ever attended the Robert McKee Story Seminar? There's one coming in NYC and I'm thinking of going. Just curious to hear some feedback

mckeestory.com/

I went back when I was in high school (late 90s). It was amazing and his taste in films (at least back then) was very solid. A lot of folks misinterpret that he is commanding you to write one certain way only, but I never got that impression. His course will help with structure the most, and will also give you excellent tools to watch and break down your favorite films so you can continue to self-study long after the course.

Huge recommend. Take a shit-ton of notes, and pick up the book later (if you haven't already). Just be careful if you ask a question, because he is a salty-tongued old bastard.

You guys ever attend any seminars held by Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3, Star Wars 7)?

His insight into the story process changed my approach to fiction writing. He's worth seeking out.

Quote: (01-27-2015 03:58 PM)The Moonlight Patriot Wrote:  

You guys ever attend any seminars held by Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3, Star Wars 7)?

His insight into the story process changed my approach to fiction writing. He's worth seeking out.

No, I never heard of him. I'll Google and check him out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Chivas,

I should have been more accurate. Arndt doesn't conduct regular seminars or publish books on writing to the degree that McKee or Syd Field has. I just happened to be fortunate enough to be present for a speech he gave. I may have to find my notes and post them on the forum. His take on story architecture is illuminating.

I did find this clip where Michael Arndt talks about the factors that go into creating a compelling story:

Good luck in your writing pursuits.

Quote: (01-26-2015 06:39 AM)Chivas989 Wrote:  

Has anybody ever attended the Robert McKee Story Seminar? There's one coming in NYC and I'm thinking of going. Just curious to hear some feedback

mckeestory.com/

Robert McKee’s Story Seminar is DEFINITELY worth attending!!!!. If you go to the seminar, have this question in mind: “What is Story?” It will be answered by the end of the seminar.

Robert McKee will teach you the core-principles (not rules) of story design. Through lecture, Q and A, and viewing numerous film examples you will see the principles he teaches at work. Trust me. You will learn why certain films have “staying power” and marinate the brain while others fade away. MOST IMPORTANTLY, you will be able to - immediately - apply what Robert McKee teaches to your writing. Trust me on this. McKee is the real deal!

The cool thing is to hear, the “wooow’s, Aaahhh, ooohh’s” or to see the confirming head nod when someone learns something new, when the magic of film and story are unveiled.

An added feature is that he welcomes your questions during the seminar breaks.

Robert McKee is in his seventies and can outlast anyone half his age energy wise, which his impressive to watch. If you are serious about your writing or have a desire to have a more rigorous comprehension of what makes a good story, and want to network with ambitious like-minded people, them Robert McKee’s seminar is for you.

Quote: (01-26-2015 04:23 PM)TooFineAPoint Wrote:  

I went back when I was in high school (late 90s). It was amazing and his taste in films (at least back then) was very solid. A lot of folks misinterpret that he is commanding you to write one certain way only, but I never got that impression. His course will help with structure the most, and will also give you excellent tools to watch and break down your favorite films so you can continue to self-study long after the course.

Huge recommend. Take a shit-ton of notes, and pick up the book later (if you haven't already). Just be careful if you ask a question, because he is a salty-tongued old bastard.

U:
"Just be careful if you ask a question, because he is a salty-tongued old bastard"

ME:
Actually, no. You are wrong on this point - but on all others you are absolutely correct. Robert McKee tells the audience to ask him questions at each break. In fact, he welcomes them.