rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Datesheet: north coast of Dominican Republic (Cabarete, Cabrera, Nagua, Santiago)

Datesheet: north coast of Dominican Republic (Cabarete, Cabrera, Nagua, Santiago)

I spent six weeks in the Dominican Republic on business, focusing on the north coast region (Cabarete, Cabrera, Nagua, and Santiago), with all of their beautiful beaches and places to have fun.

[Image: map_of_dominican-republic.jpg]

I know that there is already a surfeit of DR datasheets on the forum but this one is different as it focuses on an area heretofore mostly brushed over on the forum, the north coast. The north coast is beautiful, cheap, and worth visiting, especially given its attraction for the traveling man of business and industry who can work remotely. On the north coast, you can live cheaply, surf and swim in some of the most beautiful beaches you'll encounter, mack on good-looking Dominican girls, and learn Spanish. I found it to be really a special place, ever after having traveled extensively in my time. I will definitely return.

From what I hear, the south coast and east coast of the DR are both pretty well-known to the gringo crowd and thus you can find gringo towns and all of that on the south coast and east coast, if that is your thing. The north coast seems less discovered. It consists of, among other places, Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete, Gaspar Hernandez, Rio San Juan, Cabrera, and Nagua.

About my trip. I speak fluent Spanish. If I didn't, I would have gotten around with no major problems as Dominicans are pretty good at communication. But it would have been difficult to really connect with people, as not many speak English.

Flying in

You can fly in to Santiago or Puerto Plata. Santiago has cheaper flights, usually about the same price as flying into Santo Domingo, but Puerto Plata is a couple hours closer to the north coast beaches. Puerto Plata is actually part of the north coast but it's a city and I didn't spend any time there. Even though Santiago is a small-ish city, there are numerous flights from Miami and New York.

From Santiago airport you generally have to take a taxi to the city center, which costs about 600-800 pesos ($14-18). I asked and was told that there isn't really any public transport from the airport to the city.

From Santiago to the north coast, you can take frequent buses to Sosua (see below) via Caribe Tours or Metro, and from Sosua take a local guagua to the north coast towns and beaches. You may also be able to take a guagua directly to Nagua from Santiago via Reyes Tours, which takes three hours and should save a lot of trouble. But there isn't much information on this option, so please contribute if you find out more.

All told, taking public transport from Santiago airport to some of the northern coast towns will take at least three hours, maybe five or more, depending on transfers. A taxi should cost about $100 or more to Cabarete and more for towns farther along the coast. If you go by public transport, Santiago to Sosua costs 195 pesos (less than $5) via Metro and 160 pesos ($4) via Caribe Tours. From Sosua the guaguas are pretty cheap too, about 40 pesos ($1) from Sosua to Cabarete for example. Transport is really cheap in the DR when you do not go by taxi. The Caribe Tours and Metro buses have their terminus at Sosua so you have to take a guagua or taxi to continue on to the northern coast towns.

Now that logistics are out of the way, let's start with some of the fun places along the DR north coast.

Cabarete

A beach town, and very beautiful - the beaches in Cabarete are ideal for swimming and surfing (to an extent), but especially for kitesurfing or windsurfing. Cabarete is full of gringos and Dominicans who cater to them, and a lot of the Dominicans that you'll see teaching water sports speak English and are much more Westernized. They seemed to all have pot bellies and drink a lot of beer.

I did not particularly enjoy Cabarete but there is lots of good stuff here. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had stayed longer and made my mission solely to kitesurf or windsurf.

[Image: imagen6.jpg]

[Image: kite-club-cabarete-3.jpg]

[Image: large-4.jpg]

Kitesurfing is like windsurfing, labeled an extreme sport. However, Cabarete is a pretty safe place to learn how to kitesurf as the winds in the morning and sometimes early afternoon are not too strong.

Cabarete is considered one of the world's top kitesurfing destinations. The conditions, so they say, are close to ideal, and the climate is hot and sunny, but being by the ocean, cooled by nice ocean breezes. Kitesurfing in Cabarete is cheap - it can cost about 40 dollars per hour to learn if you get a package, whereas in Miami, for example, it will cost about 100 dollars per hour. Pick a good school, though. You want instructors who take their time to make sure that you get it right, because it is not a very intuitive sport to learn for landlubbers.

Cabarete has lots of good places to eat, a lot of international cuisine. But, there are a lot of old gringo couples - whales, mostly. Stick to the beaches and particularly the kitesurfing or windsurfing schools to find the best-looking girls, of which there are very many. Girls seemed to be mostly North American or European. No Asians. The Dominican girls were nonexistent, or not attractive.

Though I did not spend a lot of time in Cabarete, my overall impression as far as the girls goes is that you would do best to stick to the beaches during the day and avoid town, where you will run into more married whales.

One great thing about Cabarete is that people are really relaxed and everyone has time. Game is easier in some ways, really straightforward and not very stressful like in cities. I was eating dinner by the beach after kitesurfing one day. I start talking to the server, who was Haitian (I met a lot of Haitians in the DR), and she starts touching my hands and arms. I asked her where I could find a place to stay for the night and she said that she could show me when she got off work at 10 that night, and gave me her number.

As the Bluths might say, that was a freebie.

Cabrera

Cabrera is where I spent most of my time along the north coast, attracted by its potential as a place to buy some land and a house for not very much, and enjoy a good, low stress life.

[Image: P1030916.jpg]

[Image: Loma-Alta-8.jpg]

Cabrera is basically a farming town located in a beach bum paradise. It has maybe 30,000 people who rely mostly on agriculture and its related industries. As such, people are self-sufficient and do not see foreigners as a group to exploit, as they might in Cabarete. For example: in Cabarete, every motobike driver who passed by honked at me to see if I wanted to pay for a ride. In Cabrera, no one honked at me or tried to sell me stuff. People even gave me free stuff sometimes, very rarely though.

In Cabrera, you will find amazing beaches and some pretty girls. I came by guagua from Cabarete and told the driver that I was going to Cabrera. I paid him the 250 pesos fare (about $6) and enjoyed the ride of about an hour and 15 minutes. However, he never made the announcement for Cabrera, so I finally jumped off about a five-minute walk from town and started making my way back. To make sure that I was in the right place, I stopped at a roadside coffee hut and the first thing that I said to everyone was, are we in Cabrera? They smiled and nodded - it's just that kind of a place, blink and you'll miss it. I made friends with one of the guys on staff and he took me out to the beaches and other areas the next day on his motobike. As in Cabarete, things are really relaxed in Cabrera and everyone has time.

The girls in Cabrera, on average, were fitter and healthier than Dominican girls generally. People seemed pretty healthy and thin. There were no stunners but a lot of really nice-looking girls next door. You can probably find your feminine 7 but it will be tough hooking her as this is a very small town and people stick together - you can seriously play a dangerous game if you fuck the wrong girl.

Places to stay - Hotel Julissa offered rooms for 600 pesos, about 14 dollars. You get a shower, TV, hot water, and air conditioner. A room without air conditioning can cost 350 pesos, about 8 dollars. Hotel La Catalina is meant to be a truly high class place to stay.

Internet - there is an Internet center on the corner of Independencia and Jose Fernandez, on the second floor. Go up the stairs and you will find some guys who speak English and have lived in the U.S.

Places to eat or drink - there are a million places all around town, all serving pretty much the same Dominican fare. There is not much variety. I had heard that Manny's was a good bar so I went. It has a pristine location along the beach but I found the staff to be a bit dumb and antisocial. It was dead when I went. They also charged a lot for my drink when it cost about half as much elsewhere. But, the reviews are stellar so it may have been an off night.

There are plenty of grocery stores around Cabrera that stock a lot of the stuff that you would otherwise miss of life in the West. A bottle of Chilean wine can cost under 10 dollars, sometimes about seven.

Around Cabrera

These are the best places to visit near Cabrera that I found.

Playa Grande

One of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and you can surf. They have restaurants and a small bar off from the beach, and you can buy a good fish meal. Good for swimming too.

[Image: playa-grande-cabrera.jpg]

Playa Diamante

Another beach maybe five or 10 minutes from Cabrera that is also pretty nice-looking, but Playa Grande is better. The shore was muddy when I visited. We bailed and headed to Playa Arroyo Salado.

[Image: playa_diamonte_003.jpg]

Playa Arroyo Salado

This was far nicer. The sea itself was dangerous when we went and I would advise not swimming there. But there is an inlet with tranquil, still water that is also clean and clear. There are some shops selling beer and other goods so this is a great place to hang out with friends.

[Image: La%2Bboca.jpg]

Rio San Juan

I never actually visited Rio San Juan, a small town, but people told me that it is bigger than Cabrera with more gringos. Cabrera is basically a backwater, albeit a beautiful one, with few gringos. In Cabrera I once climbed up into the hills riparian to the town and saw a herd of cows or bulls being directed by a kid on a motobike and his dog, all the way through town. Haha. I'll say it again, this is a really remote and rural place, but it's incredibly beautiful and relaxing.

Dudu

The guy from the coffee shop took me on his motobike to a place called the Dudu. I joked with him about how that sounds in English. Dudu sounds a lot like someone is about to go take a dump.

[Image: dudu+2.jpg]

In Cabrera anyway, it means the blue lagoon. This place is beautiful. You can jump from at least 20 meters above and it's safe. The water lives up to its name, blue, crisp, and clear. There were about half Dominicans there and half gringos. You can supposedly also zip-line into the water but I did not see anyone do this.

Honestly people there did not seem too happy to see me. My motobike friend tried to get me in for free but the sentry at the gate was having none of it, and in the end I gladly paid the 150 pesos, about $3.50. This is probably a great place to take your girl and some friends. I asked my friend and he said that there would not be any problem with bringing alcohol in.

Go around down the back of the Dudu to find a cave, La Cueva, also very beautiful.

As I said, people did not seem very happy to see me. There were some Dominican-Americans who were pretty out of shape, and guarding their girls. They were not too happy to see me.

Intermission - A note on the sinews of small town Dominican life

Like I said, the north coast of the DR is a really special place, but it can be pretty Kafkaesque and weird. I talked with a married foreign couple who live in Cabrera and they say that you cannot trust anyone. The man seemed red pill and was sharing all sorts of good wisdom. He advised me to never get into a business deal there. Check it with the lawyers in Santo Domingo, especially real estate. There is no law in the DR, he said, at least it is never enforced, especially when it is your word against a Dominican's.

Furthermore, Cabrera locals stick together, everyone knows everyone, and you do not mess with them. If someone in Cabrera believes that you have wronged them, the locals will come together to act against you. You cannot win. He recommended this place in Santo Domingo to go over contracts and deals, Bienes Nacionales.

Furthermore, he said, don't marry a Dominican girl unless you get an agreement in writing that everything that is yours will stay yours after the marriage. Basically a pre-nup. He may not have known how to say that in English. Probably better to do this in a Western country.

In my experience, this guy is right, at least about the girls. Those country girls are typically uneducated and really, a bit stupid. They will love you for a few years and then, when the money starts hitting her directly, she will take what she can.

I have met a lot of Dominican girls who are in, say, their early to mid 20s, with a kid or two from a previous relationship. Not even necessarily a previous marriage. Then they meet some Dominican-American who can get them and their child a green card. This is not love, and the only one who thinks that it is is the poor guy in America or Canada who will probably be divorced and paying alimony in less than 10 years. I have met guys in the DR who had become citizens or permanent residents in America or Canada who say that their girl up and left them for another guy. You really have to be careful with Dominican girls - in my experience, they are sly like foxes in some regards, very different from girls in other countries in Latin America. Maybe there's something in the water.

When you think about what this guy said, it makes sense. People in the DR are generally poor, uneducated, and lazy. A lot of them are pretty nice and chilled out, but to me it only seems par for the course for poor, dumb girls generally that they would marry guys for money or for a better life abroad.

If you are looking for love or for a long-term relationship in the DR, stick to the girls with a university education, who don't feel that visceral need in their bones to escape for a better life. Be their lover, not their provider.

Real estate and owning a business along the north coast

My impression, and I would love if other guys could confirm or deny, is that there are good, inexpensive real estate opportunities available along the DR north coast. Land may be available with views that compare to Southern California or Western Australia.

If so, be careful and, as stated above, make sure to clear the deal with Bienes Nacionales in Santo Domingo, and also a lawyer in Santo Domingo, as I was told that you cannot really trust the local attorneys along the north coast.

If looking into real estate, from what I saw of the north coast (and I scoped the place out intentionally with an eye toward real estate), it's best to not place too much importance on the exact location of the property, so long as it is along the shore with a good ocean view, and from which you can hear the tide. In fact, it may even be better to locate your property a few kilometers or more from the towns, as you will have better views of the stars at night with lower light pollution, and you can play music louder, though that was never really an issue with Dominicans, haha. They are a noisy bunch.

This page gives a good idea of real estate in Cabrera.

I am not sure of the numbers, but Dominican Watchdog presents the case that there is actually a significant amount of murders of foreigners in the DR, often by people with whom the gringo was acquainted, as indicated by the murders that take place inside the gringo's own home. The gringo let the person in. As such, you may want to look into barbed wire or electric fences, dogs, and guns.

Santiago

I also spent time in Santiago, which is in the northern part of the DR, a couple hours from the north shore. A gringo whom I met described it as a fairly boring city where people live their lives without much fanfare, with no particular interest in gringos or in the outside world, but with no particular aversion either. That is to say, in Santiago you are just another guy most of the time, though of course a lot of girls will be drawn to your exotic features, even if it is something as simple as the way that you walk as a Westerner.

Santiago is pretty boring, but I like it quite a bit. It's a small city where people are just living their lives. Nothing really happens. But there are good places to go out drinking, and people are pretty nice. There are a lot of good-looking, friendly girls, especially middle-class university students or university graduates working in air-conditioned offices. I never met anyone averse to sharing a few words or even a half-hour of conversation.

If we are using the 1 to 4 scale, I would say that you will see a bangable 3 every minute or two, walking down a typical street, especially around the PCMM (Pucamaima University) or Utesa University areas. La Pucamaima is a great university and attracts the brightest girls in Santiago at least, and probably from around the northern and central DR.

Nightlife in Santiago. Migas was packed, maybe more than 200 people, on a Friday or Saturday night. It is located in the Bella Terra mall. They play house, hip-hop, and popular Dominican and American music. There are a lot of tables... so it is more of a place where you go with people whom you know beforehand. However, the bar area is good for talking to girls just milling about, waiting in line, etc.

Ahi is maybe half the size but also very crowded, at least when I went. They played Dominican dance music. Drinks are standard. Again, this is a place where you want to know people beforehand ideally, because there are lots of tables and it can be tough to meet people when they are all seated.

One of the best places to drink and meet people in Santiago is the colmado by the park near E. L. Eikman Street. Dominican men come here to drink and play dominoes. Presidente beers come with rock-bottom prices, maybe a dollar or so. Not many girls here though. The park name is Parque Metropolitano De Los Jardines.

Food in Santiago. The food is pretty good, and you can get basic Dominican dishes for three dollars, or at higher-end places for about 10 dollars. I had good food at Al Pesto in central Santiago. You can get good and healthy, balanced meals for about six dollars. Good meat, some moro (rice and beans with protein), and a salad and coffee.

I was meant to meet up with Dantes in Santiago or Cabarete when he was there but it never worked out.

Overall

My overall impression of life on the north shore of the DR as a gringo was that it would be a good place to spend a month or two each year, or more, and unwind. Go swimming and surfing at Playa Grande, go kitesurfing and windsurfing in Cabarete. Eat good and cheap food in Cabrera or Rio San Juan. Meet other long-term gringos and take things easy. I got into better shape during my six weeks in the DR. Life is just less stressful and the food, if you do it right, can have lots of protein. Meat and vegetables.

But, there is a reason that the DR is still poor. People are poorly-educated. Do not expect to have great conversations on a regular basis. It is a place to enjoy life and make friends, with little stress and for very cheap. You may even import one of their women and corrupt her back home. There is still a lot of corruption, in government, but also in everyday people's hearts, but it depends on where you go.

Awesome data sheet. It's tricky with these smaller less well known towns. On the one hand you can get a great deal on real estate while prices are insanely cheap. On the other hand, if someone decides they want to kill you, the locals really may not care that much, as they don't have a reputation to protect. In the more touristy towns like Cabarete, Sosua, etc a certain segment of the powers that be will be looking to catch the criminal. As it affects their bottom line if tourists are being capped right an left. On the other hand those places also attract more hooligans/prostitutes/pimps and the whole dirty underbelly of DR.

I heard of people buying condos for 10K in sosua and cabarete 10 years ago that now sell for 100,000. Then again, there is a ghost town of resorts decaying a few miles east of cabarete full of broken dreams from when the world economy collapsed 5 years ago. It looks like something out of jurassic park. (the subdivision on the way to the riverside/beach seafood restaurant).

I personally would not buy in DR until you are sure you love it (rent there for a year or two first). Unless you have a huge pile of cash and want to invest a portion of it ( I would not invest all my money in DR). I think some of these lesser known towns could be a decent investment. I am particularly interested in the Samana peninsula as it is gorgeous and there is a new direct road there from SD. Also, when pickiing a town, you would want one where the locals are pushing for gringos to move in, as the local police will be a lot more sympathetic to your needs and safety. I think condos with really great locations could be a good deal if the building is well built. Keep in mind DR is a major earthquake zone and you don't want to die in a shitty building built out of substandard concrete.

Overall there are a LOT of considerations before buying property in DR. I think it could be a good long term investment if you do your research and know what you are getting into. However, just for living there a few years, you are much better off renting as rental prices are generally very good except in the most gentrified areas. For example in Bavaro I saw a brand new 2 bedroom GQ apartment with cathedral ceilings and a community pool, security guard/gate. Just a 7-10 minute walk from the beach for $650 a month.

Quote: (01-25-2015 03:12 PM)kavakid Wrote:  

Overall there are a LOT of considerations before buying property in DR. I think it could be a good long term investment if you do your research and know what you are getting into. However, just for living there a few years, you are much better off renting as rental prices are generally very good except in the most gentrified areas.

Yeah, you would need to think about it long and hard.

One idea that I had (if it sounds viable) was buying a nice house by the sea with a few rooms and hiring a Western couple to live there year-round and maintain it, and of course take most of the risk if people want to attack. There are loads of young Western couples who can work remotely and would jump at the opportunity to live in the DR rent-free. You might not even need to pay them a salary. They would accept tenants on Airbnb or wherever (money goes directly to you), you fly in once or twice a year unannounced to ensure that everything is going as expected, and spend your down time there. If need be you could pay for the housesitters to spend a few weeks in a hotel. The house might even pay for itself over time.

That's not a bad idea. Or hire a trusted property management company to keep it rented or at least check in on the place. I've heard that once squatters move in it can be very difficult to remove them short of basically bribing the police or thugs to "deal with them". It's really such an incredibly corrupt place sometimes, that you never totally know what approach to take. For example, the court might issue a ruling (after you bribe them) but then the police don't enforce the eviction. Then you have to bribe the police to deal with it. But of course at this point you have shown who knows how many people that you are a walking ATM. So some of them might be coming up with ways to extort more money out of you. And if anything goes to court, be prepared for the judge to side with the locals because he may want a bribe in order to not side with them.

I think you are a little more protected in the tourist enclaves like Bavaro, Sosua, etc.. Just because like I said their economy survives on expats and so there is more of a reputation to protect. Though if you really have fucked up and broke the law, you may be in for a tough ride.

In Sosua there was a German compound where the families had guns out the ass, cash, perhaps other assets such as gold and jewels and safes. Police came up with some bullshit reason to raid them, there was a shootout, and then I believe some of the assets went missing. I read that most of the police actually are on shift working for private individuals. They make more money that way.

How many women were you with in Cabrera? How did you meet them?

Quote: (01-26-2015 09:14 PM)LINUX Wrote:  

How many women were you with in Cabrera? How did you meet them?

If I were spending more time in Cabrera, I would import my women from Cabarete or Puerto Plata and leave Cabrera women alone, lest I eventually be chased out by the locals or burned at the stake.

Quote: (01-26-2015 06:58 PM)kavakid Wrote:  

In Sosua there was a German compound where the families had guns out the ass, cash, perhaps other assets such as gold and jewels and safes. Police came up with some bullshit reason to raid them, there was a shootout, and then I believe some of the assets went missing. I read that most of the police actually are on shift working for private individuals. They make more money that way.

It was a cult with 35 members, called AFFH. It was very big in the German news 2 or 3 years ago I believe. They did some illegal business and the raid was supported by interpol.
It wasn't a bullshit reason like you describe it.

Anyways, I visited the north coast 4 years ago and I will definitely come back.

@Yeti: You should've visited the 27 waterfalls a few km's south of Puerto Plata, it's a really cool place too.
Playa Grande is amazing. Coco Loco's and Pina colada's, I miss those times

Agree with everything in this report except for Playa Grande being good for swimming. It can be dangerous due to the waves and undercurrents. I'm not sure about the other beaches.

I recently spent a few months in Costambar, Puerto Plata. There's a lot of property for sale and rent there. Not good at all for gaming though, but I liked it a lot as it suited my need for tranquility. I've been to DR 4 times for a total of a little of a year. I must say I have grown to like it even more with the years. The people are very kind and good-hearted. Good, humble and easy-going people who have it pretty difficult many times. Many people work in the informal sector as shoe-polishers, waiters, streets vendors etc or even as beggars. Their margins are pretty small. Like the rest of Latin America and other poor regions.

As a foreigner, in many places it is actually quite possible to live on 1000 euros a month and without having to watch over every cent too, I would say. 1500-2000 euros you're living *very* comfortable and can probably afford to go back to your home country a few times a year without sweating it. I'm still not sure about locating there as my base permanantly to live, but I definitely want to continue going there. Right now for the next few years my plan is to travel as much as possible and then decide on a region to have as my base for around 6 months out of the year. DR being in North Latin America certainly is a big plus for that region.

The country is so dependent on tourism though. I worry what would happen if that were to dry up, God forbid. Before, most people were autosufficient farmers but since then many have had to relocate to the bigger cities in order to sustain themselves. This is the urbanization process we see around the world that are causing so many social problems. Luckily in some cases it's possible to survive by having a small area to grow fruits on and whatnot, but still not everyone can do that. Jobs are scarce and the minimum wage is like 5000 pesos a month or something. That's around 100 euros I think, not sure if that is PPP but still, in any case, many entire families have to subsist on that or less. I worry what will happen when the automization process starts hitting these poor countries. Here in the West we might get a basic income or something but I'm not sure they will.

Quote: (05-28-2015 02:26 AM)solo Wrote:  

Agree with everything in this report except for Playa Grande being good for swimming. It can be dangerous due to the waves and undercurrents. I'm not sure about the other beaches.

I recently spent a few months in Costambar, Puerto Plata. There's a lot of property for sale and rent there. Not good at all for gaming though, but I liked it a lot as it suited my need for tranquility. I've been to DR 4 times for a total of a little of a year. I must say I have grown to like it even more with the years. The people are very kind and good-hearted. Good, humble and easy-going people who have it pretty difficult many times. Many people work in the informal sector as shoe-polishers, waiters, streets vendors etc or even as beggars. Their margins are pretty small. Like the rest of Latin America and other poor regions.

As a foreigner, in many places it is actually quite possible to live on 1000 euros a month and without having to watch over every cent too, I would say. 1500-2000 euros you're living *very* comfortable and can probably afford to go back to your home country a few times a year without sweating it. I'm still not sure about locating there as my base permanantly to live, but I definitely want to continue going there. Right now for the next few years my plan is to travel as much as possible and then decide on a region to have as my base for around 6 months out of the year. DR being in North Latin America certainly is a big plus for that region.

The country is so dependent on tourism though. I worry what would happen if that were to dry up, God forbid. Before, most people were autosufficient farmers but since then many have had to relocate to the bigger cities in order to sustain themselves. This is the urbanization process we see around the world that are causing so many social problems. Luckily in some cases it's possible to survive by having a small area to grow fruits on and whatnot, but still not everyone can do that. Jobs are scarce and the minimum wage is like 5000 pesos a month or something. That's around 100 euros I think, not sure if that is PPP but still, in any case, many entire families have to subsist on that or less. I worry what will happen when the automization process starts hitting these poor countries. Here in the West we might get a basic income or something but I'm not sure they will.

I think that many rely on their family and, to a lesser extent, their friends to provide for them if they're facing hard times. By that I mean men mostly.

The DR is an opulent country in terms of natural resources - as you mentioned, agriculture and farming spots and the like. A friend who's from there explained it like it's hard to go hungry because someone will always be there for you to provide some rice and beans, and you can just go into the hills or surrounding campo and set up shop in some shack for little or no rent. You still may lack many things, for example, stable electricity, clean water, a shower, hot water, any decent chance at attracting a mate, etc.

I'm with you that it might not be a place to live full-time. I'd probably grow tired of it. I could see myself there six months out of the year.

I think that there are also many good business opportunities in the DR. Just being an educated, ambitious G will get you far. I saw lots of opportunity (though you probably won't be rich) just by spending some time there and getting to know how things work.

Thanks for the great data sheet, I used to compile info for my trip up north.
From what I can tell, the north is underrated, and Santo domingo is overreated. American $ and tourists have just flooded the tourist cities, especially with the economy's rebound in the past few years.

I'm going to travel to Santiago as well as the smaller cities (La Vega, Jarabacoa, Bonao, others in Cibao) to experience some exotic American value.

Here's a meetup if anyone is interested or just PM me if you want to meet up.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-48004.html

After spending more time along the north coast and Santiago, I have some updates that I think are relevant:

In Santiago, I found a few more places to find the better-looking girls.
1) The soccer stadium at Pucamaima University just before a game. They have these games on Sunday at around 5pm when the weather is perfect. From an hour or so before the start of the game groups of hot girls mill about outside the stadium, waiting for us to swoop. There are a lot of mixed guy-girl groups but also lots of girls only.
2) There's a place in the gym of Pucamaima University called Cafeteria. It's upscale and you can have brunch on weekend mornings. It feels very Miami and the girls were banging. Some were with friends, some with their families, but you can get around either.
3) Pucamaima University generally tends to have good-looking girls everywhere. There are a couple entrance gates with guards but they always let me in.

Cabarete: there is a fantastic Brazilian jiu jitsu place called Jiu Jitsu de la Costa. They speak English. The teachers and students are all pretty awesome.

I met up with Zoom and Masculineprofiles. It was good to hear their perspectives on Santiago versus Santo Domingo - apparently it's much easier to game and convert in Santo Domingo.

Quote: (07-06-2015 08:32 PM)Yeti Wrote:  

After spending more time along the north coast and Santiago, I have some updates that I think are relevant:

In Santiago, I found a few more places to find the better-looking girls.
1) The soccer stadium at Pucamaima University just before a game. They have these games on Sunday at around 5pm when the weather is perfect. From an hour or so before the start of the game groups of hot girls mill about outside the stadium, waiting for us to swoop. There are a lot of mixed guy-girl groups but also lots of girls only.
2) There's a place in the gym of Pucamaima University called Cafeteria. It's upscale and you can have brunch on weekend mornings. It feels very Miami and the girls were banging. Some were with friends, some with their families, but you can get around either.
3) Pucamaima University generally tends to have good-looking girls everywhere. There are a couple entrance gates with guards but they always let me in.

Cabarete: there is a fantastic Brazilian jiu jitsu place called Jiu Jitsu de la Costa. They speak English. The teachers and students are all pretty awesome.

I met up with Zoom and Masculineprofiles. It was good to hear their perspectives on Santiago versus Santo Domingo - apparently it's much easier to game and convert in Santo Domingo.

Good meeting with you Yeti.

A few other day game notes:

Pucamaima girls are more upper-class. You may struggle to pull them on a short trip, but I thought the campus was great for day game as well.

Calle del Sol next to the Monument is good spot to game. It's the commercial center of the city and the street is continually filled with girls.

Bella Terra Mall and Plaza International are not good day game spots. If you want to run mall game then check out Colinas mall.