rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

At what point do you enjoy lifting weight?

In reading other random threads a number of people have said they stopped lifting due to injury or some other reason, and that they miss it so much.

I've never been a consistent lifter because I've found it boring or strenuous, and never enjoyable like playing a sport.

For that reason, I've dabbled in things like crossfit, adult sports leagues and cardio bootcamps--because the comraderie makes them more fun.

At what point does lifting become enjoyable rather than a chore?

I started to enjoy it more when I got them gainz bruh.

A Brazilian amigo of mine gave me the best compliment I have ever had in my life last week. He said "Are you steroids? You're fucking scary man." I hit the gym with a vengeance the next week.

I'm also motivated because in America I would look at all my old highschool friends an they are all fat and sick all the time and I never want to be like that. You only have one body in this life time, Its a damn shame to not have it the best, biggest, and strongest it can be.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

tracking & seeing progress is what makes it enjoyable. knowing that I just set a PR or moved up on my 5x5 keeps me going.

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest

Once a heavy workout is finished I start to feel super relaxed and chilled out. I find it reduces stress and gives me a peaceful feeling unlike anything else or any other physical exercise I've done.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Quote: (12-29-2014 06:33 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

A Brazilian amigo of mine gave me the best compliment I have ever had in my life last week. He said "Are you steroids? You're fucking scary man."

This is why I don't take it seriously when people accuse every guy that's a big and rocked up as being on roids. I've seen too many naturals that just work hard and look huge, and it seems like the steroid accusation often, though not always, becomes an excuse more than anything else - an excuse for why the accuser or gossiper isn't at his or her maximum potential and never will be.

Not saying your friend was harping on you - just a random thought I had when I read your post.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Working out makes me bigger and stronger, and I like feeling bigger and stronger.

Working out makes me tired and relaxed, helps me to start my day positively and sleep better at night.

Feeling the burn in the muscle - and fighting for the next rep - drives me to a quasi-meditative state.

Unlike BallsDeep, as much I practice group activities like BJJ, I'm an introvert and I like being with my own thoughts.

Working out is just you and the iron and the iron never lies.

Every fucking day I do it.

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

Quote: (12-29-2014 08:32 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

This is why I don't take it seriously when people accuse every guy that's a big and rocked up as being on roids. I've seen too many naturals that just work hard and look huge, and it seems like the steroid accusation often, though not always, becomes an excuse more than anything else - an excuse for why the accuser or gossiper isn't at his or her maximum potential and never will be.

Not saying your friend was harping on you - just a random thought I had when I read your post.

People who claim it's impossible to ever look like Phil Heath or Lazar Angelov because of steroids are destined to be eternal losers. It's the Perfectionist Fallacy; if it's unlikely to be achieved, it shouldn't be attempted at all. Those are the people who are parasitic to your life. Exterminate their presence from your life like fat from a steak. This is the male equivalent of fat feminists who call skinny women "anorexic". Losers restraint others with poison and jealously. Winners say congratulations.

I've been lifting solidly for two years now and I still don't enjoy it. It can be hell. Maybe I never will enjoy it.

But what I do enjoy is the feeling of being fucking invincible for the rest of the day and looking better than 95% of the schlubs out there, whether it's the skinny-fat hipsters with their fake glasses and ironic t-shirts, or the fat bastards waddling with soda in hand to an early grave.

Seeing them gives me enjoyment.

Not to mention the sheer enjoyment of seeing my PB's progress by the week and the scales rise with each and every PB smashed.

The actual act of lifting? Not so much.

What comes after? Very much.

I'm like davyjose, I love the invincible feeling and knowing I'm better physically than 95% of people.

I usually enjoy the act of working out, if it became a chore I'd probably stop and do some other kind of exercise.

Endorphins.

They are like your body's natural supply of crack.

Quote: (12-30-2014 05:51 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

Endorphins.

Yep, definitely true for myself. I had problems with depression for most of my adult life. I do believe that it didn't manifest when I was younger because I was into sports.

It wasn't until I stopped exercising regularly that it became a very bad problem.

Once I was consistently working out with weights, it changed my whole world. Now I just enjoy that calm relaxing feeling after a workout.

I do enjoy looking better but the happy feelings will always keep me coming back for more. The minute I feel "twitchy" I know I need to get a workout in. Most times I don't get that way unless I missed workouts.

Quote: (12-30-2014 06:26 AM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Quote: (12-30-2014 05:51 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

Endorphins.

Yep, definitely true for myself. I had problems with depression for most of my adult life. I do believe that it didn't manifest when I was younger because I was into sports.

It wasn't until I stopped exercising regularly that it became a very bad problem.

Once I was consistently working out with weights, it changed my whole world. Now I just enjoy that calm relaxing feeling after a workout.

I do enjoy looking better but the happy feelings will always keep me coming back for more. The minute I feel "twitchy" I know I need to get a workout in. Most times I don't get that way unless I missed workouts.

I was going to say the same thing as soon as I saw CBW's post.

I'm apparently clinically depressed. I didn't recognize my negative moods as something medical and kept wondering "what's wrong with me". Similar to OP I never liked the boring repetition and would only work out when motivated by friends. At one point I got my bench press up to 305, something I haven't been able to get anywhere near since, just because someone was pushing me for several months.

In the past year, I started reading ROK, found this forum, and have slowly begun applying the things I've read.

I fucking love going to the gym now

It took me a while to get in the swing of it, and sometimes I drop the ball, but I found a good place with guys who are big as fuck and very helpful (the girls there are insane too, but I try not to get distracted [Image: tard.gif]).

If you're starting out, maybe just do a 5x5, I know there's tons of advice on this forum about it. It only takes 30-45 minutes.

http://www.returnofkings.com/48669/pre-w...r-workouts

http://www.returnofkings.com/13635/5-rea...out-sucked

The biggest thing for me is keeping myself positive and strong. If I feel weak, I don't want to approach, I don't want to self-improve. Nothing seems to be more of a complete turn-your-life-around solution than going to the gym on the regular.

Of course, I don't only go to the gym. I watch my diet and take vitamins and do a host of other things now that all tie into one another. But I just kind of chipped away at doing things that improved my life like going to the gym, while cutting down on things that detracted like drinking, watching TV, refreshing RVF nonstop, etc.

Per Ardua Ad Astra | "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum"

Cobra and I did some awesome podcasts with awesome fellow members.

Quote: (12-30-2014 10:20 AM)h3ltrsk3ltr Wrote:  

I'm apparently clinically depressed. I didn't recognize my negative moods as something medical and kept wondering "what's wrong with me".

Yeah, I had the same thoughts. Once I start exercising and juicing it turned from "wtf is wrong with me" to "damn, I could have been feeling this good all this time?" haha

At least you figured it out. There are plenty of people that don't try to change which is a terrifying thought of dealing with depression over and over again. It's been years since I had any bad bouts.

Whenever I look at the mirror while in the gym and see "the pump"

The next day when I'm sore.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

I do it for health reasons: makes me look good and feel good. You know how everyone says lifting helps defeat depression? Totally true.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Took me about 2 years to really get into lifting, now I get depressed if I do anything less than 6 on 1 off. I'm in my mid 40's. Been lifting about 4 years now. It changed my life.

You might not enjoy lifting because your approach to it is wrong. Find something about weights you enjoy, something you want to reach for, and set a goal.

For myself, I enjoy lifting heavy weights because strength is something that you gain. You cannot buy it, you cannot blame others, you are the only one lifting the weight. I've always loved the weight. That said, there are times I just don't feel like going to the gym, but most I do anyway and I'll mix it up and do a bunch of widegrip pull ups, or dips, both weighted.

For me it is about setting goals and meeting them. The weight lifting is required to meet some of those goals. If you don't like lifting, make it about something else.

Quote: (12-30-2014 10:29 AM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Quote: (12-30-2014 10:20 AM)h3ltrsk3ltr Wrote:  

I'm apparently clinically depressed. I didn't recognize my negative moods as something medical and kept wondering "what's wrong with me".

Yeah, I had the same thoughts. Once I start exercising and juicing it turned from "wtf is wrong with me" to "damn, I could have been feeling this good all this time?" haha

At least you figured it out. There are plenty of people that don't try to change which is a terrifying thought of dealing with depression over and over again. It's been years since I had any bad bouts.

Yeah it took me a lot of time, trying shit that didn't work and just keeping hopeful about getting myself together. No matter how depressed I got I'd bounce back and keep trying new something until it worked...even if it took a long time.

Hearing about other guys who went through the same stuff and made it out is awesome, I'm pumped to keep going.

Per Ardua Ad Astra | "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum"

Cobra and I did some awesome podcasts with awesome fellow members.

It's a gradual process, bit by bit, and one day I just realised I now have a new passion for lifting and it is a fantastic masculine aggression outlet.

But if I have to pinpoint a moment, it would be after a certain 20-rep widowmaker squat set back when I was a newbie. Can't remember what was on the bar, probably 100 or 105kg, I was about 80kg. After a grueling 3:30 mins set, I racked the bar and collapsed on the floor, seeing stars. In that moment, I felt the spirit of The Man In The Arena from Theodore Roosevelt's speech:

Quote:Quote:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

At the first audible gasp from a hot girl after taking your shirt off.

Quote: (01-01-2015 02:40 AM)StrikeBack Wrote:  

It's a gradual process, bit by bit, and one day I just realised I now have a new passion for lifting and it is a fantastic masculine aggression outlet.

But if I have to pinpoint a moment, it would be after a certain 20-rep widowmaker squat set back when I was a newbie. Can't remember what was on the bar, probably 100 or 105kg, I was about 80kg. After a grueling 3:30 mins set, I racked the bar and collapsed on the floor, seeing stars. In that moment, I felt the spirit of The Man In The Arena from Theodore Roosevelt's speech:

That some top league raw talent if you were a newbie and squatted 1.3x BW for 20 reps.

Fuck me, I have a LONG way to go. What benefits would you say you get from a 20-rep set rather than 4 sets of 5? Was it a regular part of your training or just every now and then?

Last time I did a 20 rep set I used half my 5x5 work weight and still couldn't quite finish. [Image: lol.gif]

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Here's a little trick. You may sometimes feel some internal LMR when contemplating getting ready or going to the gym. Just remind yourself that, unlike many things in life, after a workout you will ALWAYS feel good, and you will NEVER think gee I wish I had just sat on my ass or done something else with that hour.

"Me llaman el desaparecido
Que cuando llega ya se ha ido
Volando vengo, volando voy
Deprisa deprisa a rumbo perdido"

The only workouts I regret are the ones I don't do.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Getting a good pump for me is probably on par with cumming. Arnold says the same thing in "Pumping Iron".

Founding Member of TEAM DOUBLE WRAPPED CONDOMS