rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

John Fitch - No longer a vegan

John Fitch, a veteran MMA fighter and one time potential UFC welterweight title contender became a vegan in 2011. He became part of a short list of high level vegan competitors including Jake Shields and the Diaz brothers. Although I have read that the Diaz brothers are not strict vegans.

At some point in 2013/2014 (I wasn't able to find a specific date) he started to incorporate meat back into his diet. This hasn't given way to him performing any better or worse than his usual record. Always a high level competitor, his career has been marked with incredible high and lows.

His most recent bout against Rousimar "Toquino" Palhares ended in the first round after 01:30 in typical Palhares style from a kneebar. No diet in the world is going to protect you from this gorilla ripping your leg off.

He is only the only example of a fighter becoming a vegan and then returning to a meat based diet. I'm excited to see how he performs and whether or not he improves and maybe even returns to the UFC. But as of yet his performances have not inspired confidence.

"You see a mouse trap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge" Scroobius Pip

I hear the transition back to meat can be grueling for strict Vegans on their system. Many still don't ever go back in full. Meaning that you won't see them eat a steak. Many stick to chicken and fish and other more light flesh.

Quote: (12-21-2014 07:09 PM)kosko Wrote:  

I hear the transition back to meat can be grueling for strict Vegans on their system. Many still don't ever go back in full. Meaning that you won't see them eat a steak. Many stick to chicken and fish and other more light flesh.

Because of my upbringing I didn't eat meat for the first 23 years of my life. When I had my first chicken, pork, steak, etc. I didn't feel anything wrong in my stomach.

Quote: (12-21-2014 07:24 PM)civpro Wrote:  

Because of my upbringing I didn't eat meat for the first 23 years of my life. When I had my first chicken, pork, steak, etc. I didn't feel anything wrong in my stomach.

Placebo effect on the part of vegans not really wanting to go back to eating meat [Image: tongue.gif]

A probiotic would fix the gut flora problem.

John Fitch a vegan? Needs to change his name to John Bitch

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Quote: (12-22-2014 10:27 AM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

I realize you're mostly kidding, but I strongly beg to differ.

I don't know anything about the guy, but this is a man who chose to go his own way, opting not to eat meat while deeply embedded in a society of men, the elite side of that society, no less, who not only celebrate meat eating to an insane degree but would jump at any chance to call him out and give him shit about it. To heckle him and insinuate in just about any way they could come up with that he was less of a man until he sunk his teeth into some flesh.

He stuck to his guns for however many years on end in the face of that peer pressure and ribbing. For whatever reasons he had, they were his principles and more important to him than what the group thought.

I could care less about what his actual diet beliefs entail; to me, that's what a man should be made of.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (12-21-2014 07:24 PM)civpro Wrote:  

Provided I'm not stepping on anything, what sort of upbringing was that? I know that many cultures don't eat certain types of meat or part sof the animal but I've never heard of any group not eating any kind of meat, except of course rich white people, perhaps I've answered my own question

Quote: (12-22-2014 10:42 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Quote: (12-22-2014 10:27 AM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

I realize you're mostly kidding, but I strongly beg to differ.

I don't know anything about the guy, but this is a man who chose to go his own way, opting not to eat meat while deeply embedded in a society of men, the elite side of that society, no less, who not only celebrate meat eating to an insane degree but would jump at any chance to call him out and give him shit about it. To heckle him and insinuate in just about any way they could come up with that he was less of a man until he sunk his teeth into some flesh.

He stuck to his guns for however many years on end in the face of that peer pressure and ribbing. For whatever reasons he had, they were his principles and more important to him than what the group thought.

I could care less about what his actual diet beliefs entail; to me, that's what a man should be made of.

On one hand I applaud his effort because it shows what can be possible, being a serious athlete while also eating no meat. Pushing those sort of boundaries is how progress is made.

But if he's serious about his career he made a mistake. Being a vegan mma fighter would be like being a marathon running powerlifter or a natty NFL-footballer. If it worked better then a lot more people would be doing the same.

That knee bar though... [Image: shudder.gif]

[Image: SecondaryTimelyErin.gif]

I think I read somewhere that most vegans and vegetarians eventually go back to meat at some point in their lives.

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest

Quote: (12-27-2014 06:57 PM)Ringo Wrote:  

Isn't that the guy who got banned from the UFC for holding submissions to long after a tap or the ref steps in?

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Quote: (12-27-2014 09:02 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

Quote: (12-27-2014 06:57 PM)Ringo Wrote:  

Isn't that the guy who got banned from the UFC for holding submissions to long after a tap or the ref steps in?

That's the guy Dana White doesn't like, so he kicked him out of the UFC.

I saw a few fights were he looked pretty questionable about how long he took to let go of submissions..... So I don't think I blame Uncle Dana for not liking him and kicking him out.

Honestly the knee bar in the gif you can see he still holds it while John is tapping!!

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard

Quote: (12-28-2014 11:01 AM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

I saw a few fights were he looked pretty questionable about how long he took to let go of submissions..... So I don't think I blame Uncle Dana for not liking him and kicking him out.

Honestly the knee bar in the gif you can see he still holds it while John is tapping!!
Just like any other fighter does. You hold it until the referee stops the fight.

All the bad press this guy gets is because Dana White doesn't like him. Dana made a bid deal about him and all the mma media shilled for Uncle Dana because that's what they do.

He holds on even when his opponents taps. And even when the ref attempts to stop him he continues his hold. Good cut by dana, this guy is to vicious. Good grappler but to vicious. All the good bjj guys immediately let's go during a tap and not too late like this guy.

Palhares is just a leg ripping machine. While I don't agree with him holding on to submissions for to long and lord knows there are several examples I'm very excited to see him back executing people. When he was banned from the UFC most people in my gym were against it as it's more of a grappling based MMA gym. The fight I wanted to see was GSP vs. Palhares