rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Where in the world can I get a decent piece of real estate for 15,000 USD?

Is it even possible anywhere? Obviously I'm not talking about a luxury place in a rich neighborhood. I'm talking about a decent place equipped with kitchen, bathroom, bedroom etc and with functioning electricity and running water. It can be small and preferably in a calmer, low-key area.

I happen to have this amount stacked away so I am mulling between keeping on saving or see if I can find something already around this price.

My plan for the next few years is to keep traveling and exploring and then choose a place to settle down more permanently for at least 6 months out of the year (or even more depending on a lot of things). So either I buy something here in Northern Europe, which probably means I have to save up more money since it's expensive unless I'm lucky to find a bargain or brush something up myself. Or I look elsewhere where I might be able to get something cheaper. I was thinking I could maybe rent the place to people on Airbnb or something while I'm away, as an extra income.

I mostly have prior experience of and language skills for Latin America and to a slightly lesser degree Europe so I suppose that's where I would be inclined to start looking. But I also very much have my eyes on Asia, the Middle East and Africa. So any information from anywhere in the world is welcome really.

I'm also curious as to how people on here think about the future when it comes to where and how to live. Do you foresee buying real estate somewhere or is it better to just live indefinitely off of Airbnb? Personally, even though I like traveling around with the intention of exploring, I've started to think it would perhaps be nice to have a base somewhere to come back to rather than to jump around from place to place. This could also help with making money and keeping costs low, at least initially I think. Not to mention with building long-term relationships.

Place where you can find decent properties for that kind of money tend to have a higher risk of the government changing laws and grabbing it back. just another factor to consider.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

There are cheap condos in the Philippines for about 30K. If you're young and American and have some documented income you can even get a mortgage. But if you get married here, you have risk of losing the condo to wife if you divorce.

Also, I ever saw run-down houses in far northern California for less than 20k in the last few years.
There are no jobs there, but it's pretty country without a very severe climate. You CAN NOT commute to San Francisco from there, California is huge.

This Milf I was banging in Thailand took me back to her place one day for a quick bj. She lived outside bangkok center, near the airport, 1 bedroom flat, smaller than most hotels rooms out there. the place was definitely in livable condition. The selling price was like 10-15k $ something, she paid 3000 baht rent a month.

you can get a plot of land in bocas del toro, panama for 10k

there wont be anything on the plot of land but what u have built is up to u

also there is no property sales tax in panama

Quote: (11-22-2014 04:06 PM)JJ Roberts Wrote:  

you can get a plot of land in bocas del toro, panama for 10k

there wont be anything on the plot of land but what u have built is up to u

also there is no property sales tax in panama

How much does a land with sea view cost?

Thanks guys. So from the initial responses I gather it might not be totally out of reach after all.

Another option I've thought seriously about is getting a cabin in the woods or an RV to live in, in between my trips. I basically just want a to have a stable base where I can store my stuff and always come back to whenever. As it is now, every time I come back to my home country I have to start looking for a new place to stay.

You can buy a house (yes a house) here in Santo Domingo with this amount. However, it won't be in a good neighborhood. After buying it, you can find tenants and rent it to them for 100 dollars per month.

Would I do this? Hell no. Save more money and buy something more decent.

That's still possible in Panama?

Obviously Panama is one of the best bargains out there in terms of quality+benefits for price, but I didn't know plots of land were still going for that cheap.

I've seen some killer 30+ acre oceanview plots with decent houses in lesser-known areas of Panama for 100-200k. It used to be a lot cheaper too. They have some amazing benefits for retirees.

Detroit has a ton of properties sitting around 20k or less. May have to boot a squatter but it's something to consider.

I have some oceanfront property in Colorado I will sell you for $15,000... special buy for you only.

pm me for details

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

village in Ukraine...or in a separatist controlled city where 60% of the people are leaving.

Quote: (11-22-2014 04:18 PM)CimbomluBkk Wrote:  

How much does a land with sea view cost?

depends on which island u choose

How many you want?

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Cam...1_p/0_mmm/

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Mah..._zm/0_mmm/

or..

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Eas..._zm/0_mmm/

Detroit.

Bring weapons.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Look at Bulgaria - I saw some really low listings there.

^ I second Bulgaria too.
A little dacha at the Black Sea coast. Ha.

Many places $15k gets you something but do you want to live in a village? You can get a home in need of repair for that in Italy if you search in mountain villages in places like Abruzzo. Nice part of the world but to live? I'll pass.

Same in Bulgaria, sure $15k gets you something but do you want to live in some gypsy village? Check out north France too, lots of cheap houses in windswept grey towns that everyone wants out of. I investigated that idea when I moved to Europe but realistically I imagined moving in and then thinking 'now what?'. If you're married and not hunting then it would be easier but what work would you find locally?

In my GF's village in Ukraine you can buy houses for $5k but do you want to take a dump in an outhouse and use a well?

The best idea is to use $10k of it as a deposit and get a local mortgage on a more decent place/location. Why live in a village in Bulgaria if by using your resources a little better you could own a nice new build apartment in a ski resort in Bulgaria for $30k? That money gets you a studio in Sunny Beach too.

Rocinha. Excellent ocean views. Flourishing commodities based economy.
[Image: brazil150.jpg]

"Me llaman el desaparecido
Que cuando llega ya se ha ido
Volando vengo, volando voy
Deprisa deprisa a rumbo perdido"

Quote: (11-23-2014 10:43 AM)VolandoVengoVolandoVoy Wrote:  

Rocinha. Excellent ocean views. Flourishing commodities based economy.
[Image: brazil150.jpg]

Very nice urban planning

Quote: (11-23-2014 11:04 AM)CimbomluBkk Wrote:  

Very nice urban planning

that's planning for police raids

Quote: (11-22-2014 09:42 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

How many you want?

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Cam...1_p/0_mmm/

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Mah..._zm/0_mmm/

or..

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Eas..._zm/0_mmm/

Damn. If there are so many options at prices likes that, maybe I should be looking to get something by a mountain or a lake...

From looking at Airbnb, Argentina seems to have pretty low prices. I've lived there before so I know that I like it. There are skiing possibilities too. Corrupt as hell though.

Another factor to consider of course is what real estate prices will look like in the future and if it's better to buy now or wait. I think urbanization is increasing in most of the world so that should perhaps make it slightly cheaper to live in the countryside or smaller cities.

I'd think about buying a plot of land and building the house yourself. Here's a stand in a coastal settlement on South Africa's Garden Route:
http://www.privateproperty.co.za/wilderness-t65767.htm

For the settlement search on google maps:
Kleinkrantz, Wilderness, Western Cape South Africa

No sea view and small plot, but at the price (circa US$13,700) you can't really complain. You'd likely only be allowed to build a small cottage on such a small stand. Maybe two bedrooms. Settlement looks a little run down away from the seaside homes. but is near popular, and expensive, area's and right on a 20+ km long sandy beach.

Services like electricity and sewage likely run right passed so not too expensive to hook up. To build a two bedroom cottage and pay other costs probably add around R350,000 (US$31,000). Taxes will be low on such a cheap property.

This is a good site for comparing prices in any city or country. Can be used for general cost of living, for anything and not just property.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/pri...itemId=100

Quote: (11-23-2014 04:17 AM)Chaos Wrote:  

^ I second Bulgaria too.
A little dacha at the Black Sea coast. Ha.

Third on Bulgaria. The little seaside places will be crawling with Russian women come summer (assuming the Ruble gets a little better, otherwise they'll be on the other side of the Black Sea!). The mountain resorts have some really low-priced apartments as well.

2015 RVF fantasy football champion