rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Thailand VS the Philippines

One of the most frequent questions asked, not only on these forums, but everywhere on the internet and outside of it, is which is better, between Thailand and the Philippines. While my experience in both is limited, I had a good feel for both places during my recent mini retirement in South East Asia having spent 3.5 months in Thailand (90% of the time in BKK) and 3 weeks in the Philippines, mostly in Cebu City and Lapu Lapu. These are my views based on my own personal experience. Unfortunatley, I didn't make it to Manila, Boracay and other great places in the Philippines, so I'm inviting those who have been there to chip in with their experiences there in regards to the topic at hand here: to do an overall comparison between Thailand and the Philippines.

Safety

While I didn't have any problem in either Thailand or Philippines, I have to admit, there were quite a few times in the Cebu City, Phils where I felt a bit hesitant in walking in some parts of the town even during the day. For example, outside 99% of the stores in Cebu, there were guards with machine guns standing while in contrast, I never saw any of that in BKK. Even after leaving some bars/clubs, both locals working at the bar/club and expats there warned me against walking from the bar/club to my hotel which was about 5 minutes walk. Also, the hordes of beggar kids storming at any white guy is very disturbing there and they are very difficult to control as they all rush towards you, and start yeling "Dady, give me money". I saw that happen a few times, specially at night in Cebu in front of the bars/clubs area where these 2 white guys were attacked literally by 10-15 kids and early teens. Conversely, I never encountered any such thing in BKK. Sure, there are beggars and kids on the streets in BKK too, but they wouldn't come in groups after you. I walked at all hours of the day and night, both sobre and pissed drunks late at night or in the early hours of the morning in BKK and never ever had a problem. The only time I came close to any problem was with a piss drunk stupid English/Man U hooligan at a bar while watching an Arsenal match. In BKK and Thailand, your biggest source of trouble is other piss drunk tourists, specailly Brits. Some of the coolest foreigners there will be the Aussies. Another thing to really watch out, specially if you go to Phuket or Pattaya, be extremely careful not to rent a jet ski from those mofos. The jet ski scam is very well known and well documented and can get you in deep shit if you fall for it. Google and you'll see what I mean. Overall, safety, advantage BKK/Thailand.

Cost of Living

While everything is quite cheap in BKK, things are even cheaper in the Phils. I was going out all the time, every night, eating out all the time, buying drinks for me, my buddy and the girls with me at a particular time/day and I was struggling to spend $500/week or about 2k/month for an excellent and very fun lifestyle. In Cebu, I was doing the same, but I had trouble spending more than 300 bucks per week. For example, in Cebu, in front of Mango square, where all the bars/clubs are located, bars there were selling local beers for 50 pesos or about $1.20, liquor for about 80 pesos or 2 bucks. In other words, you could get wasted for under 10 bucks and that's for you and your girl's drinks. No kidding. Club entrance were 100 pesos ($2.27) which includes a beer. So you'd have a hard time spending 20 bucks for a night out, drinking, clubbing for you and your girl(s). However food was expensive. I mean good quality food, for which you'd have to go to either a mall or go to a foreign restaurant as the Pinoy food is one of the worst. Sure you can get cheap Pinoy food for a buck or two, but you'd have to be pretty brave to eat that every day, 2-3 times/day. Overall, I'd venture as far as saying that the Philippines is half the cost of Thailand however, quality can be questionable at times.

Girls (quality and ease of hooking)

Some of the finest Asian women you'll see are from BKK. Slender, svelte, extremely feminine, very elegant oozing a sex appeal that will leave you breathe less quite a few times a day. Hop on the Sky Train or the subway or go into any mall in BKK and you'll be blown away by the quality and quantity of the eye candy. Even regular girls, have a very high sense of fashion there. As mentioned before, they take care of their appearances and dress accordingly as well. The complete opposite of lazy, masculine North American women. In BKK, it's relatively easy to shore a pro or even a semi pro. However, to get a real non pro, from a good family, it's quite hard as they are very conservative. You'd need to invest the time for that. Having said that, it's not that hard to get a nice semi pro and have her become your girl friend for the duration of your stay there, whether it's 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or a whole year. But with the hordes of sexy girls all around you, you will very soon realize that and become a butterfly. [Image: wink.gif]

In Cebu, as that's where my Philippines experience was, I found it relatively easy to hook up, even with non pros. However, given the sheer level of poverty there, even non pros would expect some kind of compensation from you, whether it'd be a taking her to a nice restaurant, a nice club or simply give her some pocket money (1000 pesos or about 23 bucks). Girls in Cebu, would be smiling at you everywhere, in the malls, on the streets, in clubs, bars etc...The sheer easiness of hooking up there is truly mind buggling. Towards the end of my stay there, I had 2 or 3 fresh sexy, feminine 18 years old delivered to my door. And these were friends of the girls I stayed with the night before and they would show up with 1 or 2 of their nice friends, cousins or relatives. Only in the Philippines. Overall, ease of hooking up with the local girls, the Phils win this one hands down. However, quality wise, I'd say BKK wins that one hands down, at least IMO as the Thai girls are more beautiful and better in bed than their Pinay counter parts.

Nightlife

BKK has IMO, one of the most vibrant and incredible night life scenes not only of Asia, but of the entire world. The place is one big gigantic party town. At night, the entire town is out for a good time. Clubs, bars, lounges, restaurants and even the gogos, get jumping. I LOVED BKK and its night life. Tons of options, for all tastes and all budgets.

Cebu, in contrast, had a limited night life with 90% of the options gathered around Mango Square, which is one big square with clubs, bars and all. However, despite the fewer options there, you can still have a great time there as the people are very laid back and this is even more amplified by the fact that drinks are very cheap and th girls, extremely friendly and approachable. In all fairness, it wouldn't be fair to compare the night life of Cebu, which in its entirety might be as big as say just the Sukhumvit area of BKK with that of a juggernaut that is Bangkok. I'd venture as far as saying that even Manila can't compete with Bangkok in that department. In Asia, only Tokyo and perhaps Hong Kong can compete with BKK in the night life department.

Infrastructure

BKK is a world class city and in some parts, specially in the Sukhumvit area, is a first world city while in other parts, is a mix between 1st, 2nd and 3rd world. Infrastructures in BKK and specially in Sukhumvit, are equal if not higher than most places in North America. Transportation in BKK is top notch, you have the BTS or Sky Train, then the MRT or the underground, you have cabs, moto taxis and the infamous tuk tuks, which are more trouble than anything IMO. In Cebu, as soon as you leave the airport, it hits you very clearly that you're in a 3rd, if not 4th world city/country. While leaving the airport the first time in BKK, I was memsmerized as I didn't feel a difference between there and say, downtown Toronto. Cebu City, being a provincial city in the Philippines, no such thing as an underground metro let alone an elevated train. However, cabs are plentiful and very cheap. Jeepneys (spelling?) or mini vans, are also abundant and even cheaper, but you'd need to know the route you're going to. I'd rather stick to the cabs as they are safer and quite cheap. Not that the jeepneys are not safe, but I feel more comfortable in a cab, but that's just me. All in all, once again, unfair to compare Cebu, a provincial city with a world class city as Bangkok.

Food

Thai food is globally known and acclaimed as one of the best in the world. Filippino food, on the other hand, is the exact opposite of Thai food. While Thai food is considered among the healthiest, tastiest in the world, Pinoy food is among the greasiest and unhealthiest and blandest in the world. During my 3 weeks in Cebu city, was the only time in all my time in Asia that I would eat more frequently at a fast food joint than eat local. Compared to Filippino food, even a good ol' Big Mac combo is more appealing. Not only is the food awful there, but there seems to be an incredible lack of quality foreign food as well. And comparatively speaking, food was more expensive there than in LOS. In BKK, food is to die for, super tasty, healthy, fresh and very cheap. One of my fav activites in BKK was to eat and try new delicious Thai dishes. Overall, once again, it'd be totally unfair to compare Thai food with Philippine's food as the Thai food totally blows out of the water anything that the Phiilippines can offer in the food department.

Overall

While both countries offer relatively cheap living conditions compared to North America or Europe, the cost of living in the Philippines is about half of that of Thailand. However, quality is a lot higher in LOS. Also, a major factor to consider is that there isn't much else to do, specially during the day, in the Philippines, other than the beach and chasing girls. You'd get bored very fast there, after 2-3 weeks. After a week, I couldn't wait to return to BKK. The way I see it and that's what I'll be doing too as soon as I get back to Asia, is settle in BKK and then, every couple of months or so, hop on a cheap flight to Cebu or any of the paradisical beaches that the Philippines are blessed with and have a blast there and hooking up with 1 or 2 new girls each day. BKK is more of an overall and all around, much much more interesting city, with tons to do both during the day than at night. You want night life? You have one of the top 5 night life scenes in the world there. You want beaches? You're an hour away from Phuket, Krabi, Ko Phi Phi or other heavenly beaches in the south of Thailand. You want cool activities to do? BKK is full of them. Overall, Thailand is much more fun than the Philippines. At least, that's from my personal experience. I can totally see myself spending a year or 2 in BKK (and I'll do that starting in the next few weeks), however, the most I can stay in the Philippines, would be 3, tops 4 weeks before getting bored out of my mind. Work hard and play very hard in BKK and relax and lay as many girls as you can in the Phils on a vacation.

There you have, I hope this helps those considering going to these 2 wonderful destinations. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, as anywhere in the world. Personally, if I had to choose between where would I want to stay for a few months, between BKK and say Cebu City, I'd take BKK in a heartbeat. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't make it to the Phils as there is a ton of fun to be had there too. I'd go there on 2 week vacation from BKK every few weeks or so.

Quote: (04-13-2011 10:44 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

One of the most frequent questions asked, not only on these forums, but everywhere on the internet and outside of it, is which is better, between Thailand and the Philippines. While my experience in both is limited, I had a good feel for both places during my recent mini retirement in South East Asia having spent 3.5 months in Thailand (90% of the time in BKK) and 3 weeks in the Philippines, mostly in Cebu City and Lapu Lapu. These are my views based on my own personal experience. Unfortunatley, I didn't make it to Manila, Boracay and other great places in the Philippines, so I'm inviting those who have been there to chip in with their experiences there in regards to the topic at hand here: to do an overall comparison between Thailand and the Philippines.

Safety

While I didn't have any problem in either Thailand or Philippines, I have to admit, there were quite a few times in the Cebu City, Phils where I felt a bit hesitant in walking in some parts of the town even during the day. For example, outside 99% of the stores in Cebu, there were guards with machine guns standing while in contrast, I never saw any of that in BKK. Even after leaving some bars/clubs, both locals working at the bar/club and expats there warned me against walking from the bar/club to my hotel which was about 5 minutes walk. Also, the hordes of beggar kids storming at any white guy is very disturbing there and they are very difficult to control as they all rush towards you, and start yeling "Dady, give me money". I saw that happen a few times, specially at night in Cebu in front of the bars/clubs area where these 2 white guys were attacked literally by 10-15 kids and early teens. Conversely, I never encountered any such thing in BKK. Sure, there are beggars and kids on the streets in BKK too, but they wouldn't come in groups after you. I walked at all hours of the day and night, both sobre and pissed drunks late at night or in the early hours of the morning in BKK and never ever had a problem. The only time I came close to any problem was with a piss drunk stupid English/Man U hooligan at a bar while watching an Arsenal match. In BKK and Thailand, your biggest source of trouble is other piss drunk tourists, specailly Brits. Some of the coolest foreigners there will be the Aussies. Another thing to really watch out, specially if you go to Phuket or Pattaya, be extremely careful not to rent a jet ski from those mofos. The jet ski scam is very well known and well documented and can get you in deep shit if you fall for it. Google and you'll see what I mean. Overall, safety, advantage BKK/Thailand.

Cost of Living

While everything is quite cheap in BKK, things are even cheaper in the Phils. I was going out all the time, every night, eating out all the time, buying drinks for me, my buddy and the girls with me at a particular time/day and I was struggling to spend $500/week or about 2k/month for an excellent and very fun lifestyle. In Cebu, I was doing the same, but I had trouble spending more than 300 bucks per week. For example, in Cebu, in front of Mango square, where all the bars/clubs are located, bars there were selling local beers for 50 pesos or about $1.20, liquor for about 80 pesos or 2 bucks. In other words, you could get wasted for under 10 bucks and that's for you and your girl's drinks. No kidding. Club entrance were 100 pesos ($2.27) which includes a beer. So you'd have a hard time spending 20 bucks for a night out, drinking, clubbing for you and your girl(s). However food was expensive. I mean good quality food, for which you'd have to go to either a mall or go to a foreign restaurant as the Pinoy food is one of the worst. Sure you can get cheap Pinoy food for a buck or two, but you'd have to be pretty brave to eat that every day, 2-3 times/day. Overall, I'd venture as far as saying that the Philippines is half the cost of Thailand however, quality can be questionable at times.

Girls (quality and ease of hooking)

Some of the finest Asian women you'll see are from BKK. Slender, svelte, extremely feminine, very elegant oozing a sex appeal that will leave you breathe less quite a few times a day. Hop on the Sky Train or the subway or go into any mall in BKK and you'll be blown away by the quality and quantity of the eye candy. Even regular girls, have a very high sense of fashion there. As mentioned before, they take care of their appearances and dress accordingly as well. The complete opposite of lazy, masculine North American women. In BKK, it's relatively easy to shore a pro or even a semi pro. However, to get a real non pro, from a good family, it's quite hard as they are very conservative. You'd need to invest the time for that. Having said that, it's not that hard to get a nice semi pro and have her become your girl friend for the duration of your stay there, whether it's 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or a whole year. But with the hordes of sexy girls all around you, you will very soon realize that and become a butterfly. [Image: wink.gif]

In Cebu, as that's where my Philippines experience was, I found it relatively easy to hook up, even with non pros. However, given the sheer level of poverty there, even non pros would expect some kind of compensation from you, whether it'd be a taking her to a nice restaurant, a nice club or simply give her some pocket money (1000 pesos or about 23 bucks). Girls in Cebu, would be smiling at you everywhere, in the malls, on the streets, in clubs, bars etc...The sheer easiness of hooking up there is truly mind buggling. Towards the end of my stay there, I had 2 or 3 fresh sexy, feminine 18 years old delivered to my door. And these were friends of the girls I stayed with the night before and they would show up with 1 or 2 of their nice friends, cousins or relatives. Only in the Philippines. Overall, ease of hooking up with the local girls, the Phils win this one hands down. However, quality wise, I'd say BKK wins that one hands down, at least IMO as the Thai girls are more beautiful and better in bed than their Pinay counter parts.

Nightlife

BKK has IMO, one of the most vibrant and incredible night life scenes not only of Asia, but of the entire world. The place is one big gigantic party town. At night, the entire town is out for a good time. Clubs, bars, lounges, restaurants and even the gogos, get jumping. I LOVED BKK and its night life. Tons of options, for all tastes and all budgets.

Cebu, in contrast, had a limited night life with 90% of the options gathered around Mango Square, which is one big square with clubs, bars and all. However, despite the fewer options there, you can still have a great time there as the people are very laid back and this is even more amplified by the fact that drinks are very cheap and th girls, extremely friendly and approachable. In all fairness, it wouldn't be fair to compare the night life of Cebu, which in its entirety might be as big as say just the Sukhumvit area of BKK with that of a juggernaut that is Bangkok. I'd venture as far as saying that even Manila can't compete with Bangkok in that department. In Asia, only Tokyo and perhaps Hong Kong can compete with BKK in the night life department.

Infrastructure

BKK is a world class city and in some parts, specially in the Sukhumvit area, is a first world city while in other parts, is a mix between 1st, 2nd and 3rd world. Infrastructures in BKK and specially in Sukhumvit, are equal if not higher than most places in North America. Transportation in BKK is top notch, you have the BTS or Sky Train, then the MRT or the underground, you have cabs, moto taxis and the infamous tuk tuks, which are more trouble than anything IMO. In Cebu, as soon as you leave the airport, it hits you very clearly that you're in a 3rd, if not 4th world city/country. While leaving the airport the first time in BKK, I was memsmerized as I didn't feel a difference between there and say, downtown Toronto. Cebu City, being a provincial city in the Philippines, no such thing as an underground metro let alone an elevated train. However, cabs are plentiful and very cheap. Jeepneys (spelling?) or mini vans, are also abundant and even cheaper, but you'd need to know the route you're going to. I'd rather stick to the cabs as they are safer and quite cheap. Not that the jeepneys are not safe, but I feel more comfortable in a cab, but that's just me. All in all, once again, unfair to compare Cebu, a provincial city with a world class city as Bangkok.

Food

Thai food is globally known and acclaimed as one of the best in the world. Filippino food, on the other hand, is the exact opposite of Thai food. While Thai food is considered among the healthiest, tastiest in the world, Pinoy food is among the greasiest and unhealthiest and blandest in the world. During my 3 weeks in Cebu city, was the only time in all my time in Asia that I would eat more frequently at a fast food joint than eat local. Compared to Filippino food, even a good ol' Big Mac combo is more appealing. Not only is the food awful there, but there seems to be an incredible lack of quality foreign food as well. And comparatively speaking, food was more expensive there than in LOS. In BKK, food is to die for, super tasty, healthy, fresh and very cheap. One of my fav activites in BKK was to eat and try new delicious Thai dishes. Overall, once again, it'd be totally unfair to compare Thai food with Philippine's food as the Thai food totally blows out of the water anything that the Phiilippines can offer in the food department.

Overall

While both countries offer relatively cheap living conditions compared to North America or Europe, the cost of living in the Philippines is about half of that of Thailand. However, quality is a lot higher in LOS. Also, a major factor to consider is that there isn't much else to do, specially during the day, in the Philippines, other than the beach and chasing girls. You'd get bored very fast there, after 2-3 weeks. After a week, I couldn't wait to return to BKK. The way I see it and that's what I'll be doing too as soon as I get back to Asia, is settle in BKK and then, every couple of months or so, hop on a cheap flight to Cebu or any of the paradisical beaches that the Philippines are blessed with and have a blast there and hooking up with 1 or 2 new girls each day. BKK is more of an overall and all around, much much more interesting city, with tons to do both during the day than at night. You want night life? You have one of the top 5 night life scenes in the world there. You want beaches? You're an hour away from Phuket, Krabi, Ko Phi Phi or other heavenly beaches in the south of Thailand. You want cool activities to do? BKK is full of them. Overall, Thailand is much more fun than the Philippines. At least, that's from my personal experience. I can totally see myself spending a year or 2 in BKK (and I'll do that starting in the next few weeks), however, the most I can stay in the Philippines, would be 3, tops 4 weeks before getting bored out of my mind. Work hard and play very hard in BKK and relax and lay as many girls as you can in the Phils on a vacation.

There you have, I hope this helps those considering going to these 2 wonderful destinations. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, as anywhere in the world. Personally, if I had to choose between where would I want to stay for a few months, between BKK and say Cebu City, I'd take BKK in a heartbeat. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't make it to the Phils as there is a ton of fun to be had there too. I'd go there on 2 week vacation from BKK every few weeks or so.

quick question, i'm heading over to Thailand next month, do those weekly budgets include accommodation, I’m kinda worried about my budget

Its my first solo trip and first time in asia

Cheers!

Great writeup, VP.

The sheer easiness of hooking up there is truly mind buggling. Towards the end of my stay there, I had 2 or 3 fresh sexy, feminine 18 years old delivered to my door. And these were friends of the girls I stayed with the night before and they would show up with 1 or 2 of their nice friends, cousins or relatives.

I experienced this too. It really was mind boggling. But I thought they were pros? No?

BKK has IMO, one of the most vibrant and incredible night life scenes not only of Asia, but of the entire world...I'd venture as far as saying that even Manila can't compete with Bangkok in that department.

The Manila Metro area has 20 million ppl vs 10 million for BKK. There is a LOT of nightlife in Manila too. I did get a feeling that maybe the nightlife in BKK was better than Manila, but my stay was too short in BKK to say for sure. The nightlife is great in both cities as far as I'm concerned.

BKK is a world class city...Cebu, as soon as you leave the airport, it hits you very clearly that you're in a 3rd, if not 4th world city/country

The Makati area in Manila Metro is as nice as any area in BKK. Both Sukhumvit (BKK) and Makati are really impressive -- as nice as any Western city.

Great write up, VP.

This forum makes it difficult to pass up 2 places in particular - Medellin and Thailand.

Vacancier Permanent,

Great report as always.

"at night in Cebu in front of the bars/clubs area where these 2 white guys were attacked literally by 10-15 kids and early teens."

Attacked like beaten down? or Attacked like hassled?

"Cost of Living"

What about monthly rent comparison?

"Pinoy food is one of the worst."

Everyone keeps saying that. I had a Filipina chick cook me some local grinds and I thought they were pretty grindy.

How about the Pig Roasts there?

Am I missing something here?

Or is everyone on the forum just a complete health nut?

"However, given the sheer level of poverty there, even non pros would expect some kind of compensation from you, whether it'd be a taking her to a nice restaurant, a nice club or simply give her some pocket money"

Ha. Sounds just like American girls.

"Nightlife "

I think we have hit this before, but can we get last call times? And can you smoke in bars in both?

"Also, a major factor to consider is that there isn't much else to do, specially during the day, in the Philippines, other than the beach and chasing girls."

What does BKK offer that Phils doesn't?

Thanks again for this post, as you can see, I am angling in heavy on my first trip to that region.

Quote:Quote:

butterfly

The Thai girls drove me mad always calling me 'butterfly man'. I thought it was funny at first but then when every girl you are with is calling you it or asking "you butterfly man?" it gets a bit repetitve.

I experienced this too. It really was mind boggling. But I thought they were pros? No?

Yeah lets get some clarity here. These girls being delivered to your door were whores, right?

Great report V.P.-
I would echo the same thing, If your looking at an extended trip, or mini retirement, make Bangkok your launch pad. Depending on your budget, location, and your length of stay you can find accomodation in BKK ranging from $200-$15000 per month. Bangkok really has it all, even if your on a shoestring backpacker budget or rolling like hef...BKK will accomodate, and most importantly without the worry of major crime.

Plus, with so many flights coming and going out of BKK, you can find cheap local airfare all over SEA, so a one or two week trip to say Bali, Phil, Malaysia, Viet, or Hong Kong is nothing and then your back to BKK for another round of madness, you can regroup and roll out again. IMO, Bangkok and thailand as a whole makes is so easy for an international traveler, In SEA, BKK/thailand is where its at, hands down.

The figures I mentioned (500/week or 2k/month in BKK vs 300/week in Cebu do not include accommodations. In BKK, I was paying about 1K a month for accommodation alone as I was staying long term at a hotel since I too lazy to look for an apart and the location of the hotel was top notch, right in the heart of Sukhumvit where I could just walk to all the clubs/bars and gogos. I'm not familiar with the hostels scene as I have never stayed in one, so can't comment on that, maybe others who have stayed in hostels in BKK can chip in. But rest assured that BKK is very easy on the wallet. I saw studios going for a month to month basis for about 150 bucks a month. However, they are quite far from the action and would require about 30-45 minutes commuting on the BTS during the day and an hour at night by cab when the the BTS stops at midnight. So that's to take into consideration (time and money coming and going to clubs/bars etc...).

Quote: (04-14-2011 03:14 AM)Expandedhorizon Wrote:  

quick question, i'm heading over to Thailand next month, do those weekly budgets include accommodation, I’m kinda worried about my budget

Its my first solo trip and first time in asia

Cheers!

G,
The kids would surround foreigners, holding to their hands and begging for money. Imagine, 5-10 kids surrounding you, holding to your hands, pants, sleeves, where ever they can. It can get quite a difficult situation as the locals just watch and don't do anything. It's up to you to diffuse the situation by being very firm and assertive yet without getting violent.

Monthly rent comparaisons: In BKK, I was staying at a hotel and was paying around 1k/month. I could have easily found an apart for that amount, but I really liked the location of the place which was right next door to all the action and I would just walk 10 minutes and I'd be at at the clubs, bars, gogos, restos and all. Here are a couple of awesome sites for renting apart, whether it's on a month to month basis or a longer term like 3-12 months term. http://www.mrroomfinder.com and http://en.9apartment.com/

In Cebu, in my 3 weeks there, I was also staying at hotels and was paying about 30 bucks a night. I heard from people staying there that I could get aparts for around 200 bucks a month. Didn't pursue that route as I was staying there only 3 weeks, but that's an option for guys looking to staying there long term. I don't think it'd be that difficult to find something decent for cheap there.

Yes, Pinoy food, IMO was awful, because it's 90% of the time fried, very oily, not tasty much and a huge part of their dishes include pork and I do not eat pork. The lack of foreign food options was dissapointing and even I did find a chain of restaurant in a mall serving pseudo persian/arabic food, it wasn't near what you can get for example in arabic or indian restaurants in BKK.

As I mentioned before, my experience in the Philippines is limited to just Cebu City, which is at most, a small provincial 3rd/4th world city. As a result, you won't find many activities to do easily, nor many touristy places to visit during the day or nice museums, parks etc...In BKK, for example, you can just hop on the BTS and get off at any station randomly and just spend the afternoon or the day, exploring and wandering in the streets of that bairro and you'd find and see some incredible things. This was one thing I really enjoyed doing in BKK and I did that in my very short stay in Tokyo and had a blast doing that. The same can't be done in Cebu as the city is small, and there is not much to see there other than just ghettos and very poor areas and people.

Speaking of that, when you do roll into the Phils, I would suggest you to do so while keeping a low profile and not roll all dressed up in custom made suite with an expensive designer watch. It'd be asking for trouble IMO. Dress down there. In BKK, however, you can safely roll as a true G, no safety worries there. And I'd say, if you do hit the high end bars/clubs and restaurants in BKK, I would recommend you roll there dressed impeccably. Depending on how long you'd be coming to SEA, 2 weeks would be more than enough for the Phils, 1 week in say Manila or even better in Cebu, find 1, 2 or 3 nice girls you like and take them with you to some truly spectacular beach and have a ball there. But I can tell you that you'll spend 90% of your time in BKK as that city is just incredibly addictive.

As I wrote earlier, even the non pros would expect you some kind of compensation given how poor they are. Hard to draw the line between semi pros or pros in Asia as the line is so thin. Even a full blown pro, if she likes you enough, won't be asking you much or anything at all if your'e fun and cool to be with. But given the sheer level of poverty most of these girls live in, it's gift of 1000 pesos or about 23 bucks in the morning is highly appreciated. The girls that were delivered to my door each day towards the end of my stay in Cebu City, they were friends or relatives of girls I was with the night prior. These could have been either semis or non pros, hard to tell. But I paid for the girls drinks, entrance to clubs and restaurant and would usually give her a gift at the end of say 1000 pesos, and she'd stay with me for as long as I wanted her, being extra sweet and letting me tap that juicy booty buffet style and all that for say
20 bucks. For the kind of fun I was having, I didn't really care whether she was a non pro, semi or even a full blown pro as I as I enjoyed her company and so did she. And when they saw how cool it was to hang out with me and party together and stay at nice hotels/resorts, of course, they'd tell their friends and they too wanted a piece of the action. [Image: banana.gif] Hoping this clarifies things, but cost in here is very relative. About 20 bucks for the girl, and 10 bucks for all the other miscellaneous cost for an hell of a time. For 20 lousy freaking bucks! Are you kidding me?

Quote: (04-14-2011 01:59 PM)Gringo Wrote:  

butterfly

The Thai girls drove me mad always calling me 'butterfly man'. I thought it was funny at first but then when every girl you are with is calling you it or asking "you butterfly man?" it gets a bit repetitve.

Yeah lets get some clarity here. These girls being delivered to your door were whores, right?

Spot on man!
Can't say that enough: God I LOV BKK and can't wait to return there.
It's a totally addictive city like few if no other city on the planet!

Quote: (04-14-2011 06:08 PM)Tully Mars Wrote:  

Great report V.P.-
I would echo the same thing, If your looking at an extended trip, or mini retirement, make Bangkok your launch pad. Depending on your budget, location, and your length of stay you can find accomodation in BKK ranging from $200-$15000 per month. Bangkok really has it all, even if your on a shoestring backpacker budget or rolling like hef...BKK will accomodate, and most importantly without the worry of major crime.

Plus, with so many flights coming and going out of BKK, you can find cheap local airfare all over SEA, so a one or two week trip to say Bali, Phil, Malaysia, Viet, or Hong Kong is nothing and then your back to BKK for another round of madness, you can regroup and roll out again. IMO, Bangkok and thailand as a whole makes is so easy for an international traveler, In SEA, BKK/thailand is where its at, hands down.

Quote: (04-14-2011 01:59 PM)Gringo Wrote:  

"Butterfly man" in Thai terminology is someone who is sampling different girls - i.e. not someone who is looking for a single girlfriend he is going to be sexually faithful to. Most of participants in this forum, me included, are butterflies for the girls we fuck.

Maybe this wasn't the best English word to describe it, but let's be realistic here - an average Thai bargirl speaks much more English than an average tourist speaks Thai.

Quote: (04-14-2011 11:21 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

The kids would surround foreigners, holding to their hands and begging for money. Imagine, 5-10 kids surrounding you, holding to your hands, pants, sleeves, where ever they can. It can get quite a difficult situation as the locals just watch and don't do anything. It's up to you to diffuse the situation by being very firm and assertive yet without getting violent.

This seem to be no different from Indian tailors in Thailand with their "nice suit for you sir"? Both types exploit Western culture weaknesses which require you to share hands when offered, and give at least some answer if asked a question. Just ignore them. Gonna be tough for a typical California type, but I'd guess someone from NYC wouldn't

Yes, Pinoy food, IMO was awful, because it's 90% of the time fried, very oily, not tasty much and a huge part of their dishes include pork and I do not eat pork.

Well, that's now a different description. Could you please describe the food more, without applying "I do not eat it" filters? It would be more helpful - for example, I eat pork but I don't eat seafood, so maybe it would be just fine for me?

As I mentioned before, my experience in the Philippines is limited to just Cebu City, which is at most, a small provincial 3rd/4th world city. As a result, you won't find many activities to do easily, nor many touristy places to visit during the day or nice museums, parks etc...

Did you do a research? For example, I heard similar things about Pattaya, and I found enough things around to not only keep me busy for over a week, but I only visited probably 30% of what I wanted to visit. And Pattaya is not even Bangkok.

About 20 bucks for the girl, and 10 bucks for all the other miscellaneous cost for an hell of a time. For 20 lousy freaking bucks! Are you kidding me?

It's the principle of it all though, you're still paying for it.

"Butterfly man" in Thai terminology is someone who is sampling different girls - i.e. not someone who is looking for a single girlfriend he is going to be sexually faithful to. Most of participants in this forum, me included, are butterflies for the girls we fuck.

Maybe this wasn't the best English word to describe it, but let's be realistic here - an average Thai bargirl speaks much more English than an average tourist speaks Thai.

Yeah I know exactly what it means, it just annoyed me hearing it all the time.

I heard similar things about Pattaya, and I found enough things around to not only keep me busy for over a week, but I only visited probably 30% of what I wanted to visit. And Pattaya is not even Bangkok.

I hate Pattaya, it's one the worst place I've been in my travels and definitely the lowlight of Thailand / SE Asia. Seedy and full of old arrogant sex tourists, night life is poor unless you're interested in hanging out in whore bars, beach us terrible.

Quote: (04-15-2011 06:33 AM)Gringo Wrote:  

I hate Pattaya, it's one the worst place I've been in my travels and definitely the lowlight of Thailand / SE Asia. Seedy and full of old arrogant sex tourists, night life is poor unless you're interested in hanging out in whore bars, beach us terrible.

Hey gringo, those girls are just looking for husbands too. Hehe. Check this video out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP9rBbq1Hh8

"Yes, Pinoy food, IMO was awful, because it's 90% of the time fried, very oily, not tasty much and a huge part of their dishes include pork and I do not eat pork."

Yeah, I love pork. Hell, I can eat that stuff breakfast lunch and dinner. I could eat a pig raw, I really don't care.

It seems like the anti-Filipina food tip is coming more from a perspective of healthy eaters, am I right? Or are people really getting violently sick from the stuff?

Has anyone tried the Pig Roasts there an can honestly say they are horrible?

Also, can we get some concrete Data on:

Bars closing times in both? (I keep on getting mixed signals. Some people say it "parties all night!" others say it "ends at 2" Which is it? Someone bring the realness.)

The legality of cigarette smoking indoors in both? (bars? restaurants? train stations? post office? etc)

Gringo,
You ALWAYS pay for it, whether it's directly or indirectly. There is no free lunch let alone, free pussy. As you probably also may have noticed, "free" pussy turns out to be more expensive than paid pussy in the long run.

Old Nemsis,
Agreed that the indian tailors are awful, specially in Phuket, however, the kids in Cebu, can't be compared to the tailors. The kids go in packs, like wolves, surround their target and you really have to physically free yourself most of the time. Tailors, even the very aggressive ones in Phuket can be easily ignored. Those kids cannot be or you'll have everything on you taken, even your clothes.

Food wise, a majority of Pinoy food is based around pork and I don't eat that. I do eat and love seafood. As a matter of fact, the only time I got sick throughout my stay in Asia, was in the Philippines, on new years' eve after returning from eating at a pinoy high end restaurant. If you like pork, greasy, oily and fried dishes who barely have any taste, then you'll love filipino food. I simply don't. And I'm not a health nut, far from it.

G,
In Cebu, most bars would close very late, most times, I would party until 3-4am and the clubs were still jumping. On the looks of it, they closed around 4am or so. One thing you have to realize, specially in Thailand and the Phils, if the businesses and clubs see there are still patrons consuming drinks, they won't kick them out as clubs would do in the West; I've had this conversation with waiters and club managers a few times in the Phils about closing times, they said, they close when there are no customer left. As far as smoking, again, total freedom to do that, at least in the Phils. In BKK, some clubs do enforce the no smoking rule, others have a smoking section. As a non smoker, no complaints here. But even smokers can still have a great time there as you can smoke freely on the streets. Even on some bars in BKK, even tough they clearly have the no smoking sign, they would simply bring you an ash tray if you start smoking there and they would just laugh it off. It's the Thai way of doing things. Train stations, post office, no idea, but my guess is they don't allow it indoors. In restaurants, they may allow it; bars and clubs, totally at the discretion of the owner/manager, but other businesses, I don't recall seeing anyone smoking inside the post office or other such places.

You ALWAYS pay for it, whether it's directly or indirectly. There is no free lunch let alone, free pussy. As you probably also may have noticed, "free" pussy turns out to be more expensive than paid pussy in the long run.

I don't ALWAYS pay directly or indirectly. I can think of a couple of occassions in Thailand specifically where I haven't spent a penny on a girl, not on drinks, taxi fare, club entrance, food, nothing! Girls who clearly were not short of money, nice cars, nice apartments, they paid for dinner and bought the beers or bottle of whisky etc OR we've split everything which is fine by me. Even when I'm not lucky enough for that to happen I make a point of not becoming the ATM for the night, occassionally a drink or two or I'll pay for a Love Motel if it means I can get laid but I'm not giving any girl a completely free, all inclusive night out just on principle. Never will it work out more expensive than if I just paid for pussy in the first place.

One thing you have to realize, specially in Thailand and the Phils, if the businesses and clubs see there are still patrons consuming drinks, they won't kick them out as clubs would do in the West; I've had this conversation with waiters and club managers a few times in the Phils about closing times, they said, they close when there are no customer left.

This isn't the case in most clubs in Thailand unfortunately, they've gotten much stricter in recent years and clubs have to close around 1-2am unless they are the illegal afterhour spots paying off the cops.

Quote: (04-15-2011 11:45 AM)Gringo Wrote:  

This isn't the case in most clubs in Thailand unfortunately, they've gotten much stricter in recent years and clubs have to close around 1-2am unless they are the illegal afterhour spots paying off the cops.

The Windsor Hotel in BKK has a nice club open until 4am.

Whats the club called?

EDIT: Google tells me it's called 'Scratch Dog'. Haven't been. Any good?

Probably has something to do with being in a hotel.

Quote: (04-15-2011 06:33 AM)Gringo Wrote:  

It's the principle of it all though, you're still paying for it.

Well, in Thailand you are basically expected to pay for it, one way or another. It does not matter that you weren't asked money in advance (nobody does), or the fee was not negotiated (it almost never does unless she is charging much more than the going rate, and you are expected to know the going rates). As all local expats say, the only time you can be sure she wasn't with you in hope to make some money would be if you tried to give her the fair amount of money and she refused to take it.

Nightlife there was good enough comparing to a lot of places. I really enjoyed the music in several bars, where the live bands played all classics from Led Zepellin to Queen and Rainbow. Even the whore bars are fine if you just want to get a cold one and watch TV, they won't hassle you if you politely tell them you don't need a company.

Beach is indeed crappy in central Pattaya, but is ok in Jomtien. There is also a boat to Ko Lan which takes 20 minutes and cost 200B, and the beach there is perfect.

Quote: (04-15-2011 11:45 AM)Gringo Wrote:  

I don't ALWAYS pay directly or indirectly. I can think of a couple of occassions in Thailand specifically where I haven't spent a penny on a girl, not on drinks, taxi fare, club entrance, food, nothing!

It is easy. As I said, the payment is usually not discussed in advance, so if you deal with a freelancer, it is very easy to pretend that it was "love" and not to pay her. They are also may be too shy to ask for money directly, and would only give you hints like hanging around until you basically tell them "goodbye". However this doesn't change the fact that you've cheated on the girl.

Girls who clearly were not short of money, nice cars, nice apartments, they paid for dinner and bought the beers or bottle of whisky etc OR we've split everything which is fine by me.

They're not short of money, a cure go-go girl could easily make $2K a month, not to mention she may get some income from sponsors. And such cases do happen, she may genuinely just like to hang out with you and not expecting you to pay (they would request time investment instead, i.e. you'd have to spend time with her to get laid). However the only real way to verify it is to give her money and see if she refused. If you didn't do it, you never know.

Gringo -- from what I know about girls in Peru is that they wont ask you for money right away, but they WILL ask you for money at some point. It seems the girls in SEA are just a little more immediate about it. But yeah, I'd rather have a girl in Peru who's only had a few partners than a go-go girl in SEA who's up in triple digits.

Quote: (04-15-2011 01:47 PM)Gringo Wrote:  

Whats the club called?

EDIT: Google tells me it's called 'Scratch Dog'. Haven't been. Any good?

Probably has something to do with being in a hotel.

Yeah in some countries, some hotel bars/clubs are allowed to stay open later. It's like that in India I know.

The club must be Scratch Dog. Here is a link with pics. I went there two months back and it was very good. The cover is 400 baht but worth it. Me and my friend took home girls and did not pay them anything (we did not know the tipping etiquette of Thailand).

http://www.bkk-guru.com/scratch-dog-sukhumvit-soi-20/

Quote: (04-15-2011 11:28 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Gringo,
You ALWAYS pay for it, whether it's directly or indirectly. There is no free lunch let alone, free pussy.

This is just plain wrong.

The girls you are describing in Phils are exactly the girls that I deliberately filter out.

Of course you had girls brought to you. You were paying approx 400% more than the market rate that hookers get paid.