rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Scientist Finds World's Largest Spider During Night-time Stroll In Jungle

Goliath Encounter: Puppy-Sized Spider Surprises Scientist In Rainforest

Quote:Quote:

Piotr Naskrecki was taking a nighttime walk in a rainforest in Guyana, when he heard rustling as if something were creeping underfoot. When he turned on his flashlight, he expected to see a small mammal, such as a possum or a rat.

"When I turned on the light, I couldn't quite understand what I was seeing," said Naskrecki, an entomologist and photographer at Harvard University's Museum of Comparative Zoology.

A moment later, he realized he was looking not at a brown, furry mammal, but an enormous, puppy-size spider.

The article goes on:

Quote:Quote:

Known as the South American Goliath birdeater (Theraphosa blondi), the colossal arachnid is the world's largest spider, according to Guinness World Records. Its leg span can reach up to a foot (30 centimeters), or about the size of "a child's forearm," with a body the size of "a large fist," Naskrecki told Live Science. And the spider can weigh more than 6 oz. (170 grams) — about as much as a young puppy, the scientist wrote on his blog. [See Photos of the Goliath Birdeater Spider]

Some sources say the giant huntsman spider, which has a larger leg span, is bigger than the birdeater. But the huntsman is much more delicate than the hefty birdeater — comparing the two would be "like comparing a giraffe to an elephant," Naskrecki said.

The birdeater's enormous size is evident from the sounds it makes. "Its feet have hardened tips and claws that produce a very distinct, clicking sound, not unlike that of a horse's hooves hitting the ground," he wrote, but "not as loud."

Some pictures for your viewing pleasure...or displeasure:

[Image: 136467686873833.jpg]

[Image: 61ef25c843a1f74b2bb412850347fe2f.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5XWiWNNI_BISFOLmINhf...XlJSwVEVCQ]

[Image: 11-blond_terafoza.jpg]

Should I have led with a trigger warning for arachnophobia? [Image: lol.gif]

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

Not many things can throw me off, but my arachnophobia would have caused me to pass out on sight. Look at the meat on those legs. That thing could bench press a loveseat. I wonder why he felt comfortable picking it up like that, or if it actually was a narcissistic spider that judo tossed him and demanded selfies

Holy shit... just looking at these pictures makes me ill. I have no problem with normal house spiders (although I prefer swatting or vacuuming them instead of killing them with my hand), but I was terrified of Huntsman spiders in Australia. And this thing is much much worse than that.

Given that its venom is weak (comparable to an ordinary wasp) like that of most tarantula-type spiders, I wonder if it gets preyed upon by animals like jaguars or giant armadillos?

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

WNT - would not touch.

Still I am fascinated and happy that such outrageous things exist in nature.

His rear end looks like a kiwi fruit.

Quote: (10-21-2014 02:39 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

Holy shit... just looking at these pictures makes me ill. I have no problem with normal house spiders (although I prefer swatting or vacuuming them instead of killing them with my hand), but I was terrified of Huntsman spiders in Australia. And this thing is much much worse than that.

+1. The scariest part about Huntsmans is that the fuckers are huge and move like they're on amphetamines.

Quote: (10-21-2014 02:39 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

Given that its venom is weak (comparable to an ordinary wasp) like that of most tarantula-type spiders, I wonder if it gets preyed upon by preys upon animals like jaguars or giant armadillos?

FTFY...

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm

I'd take this over huntsmen or any other shifty little fucking spiders with poison. I'm not afraid of them but I wouldn't want them biting me.

These things don't hide and then suddenly decide they want to fuck with you. They're docile in comparison. Plenty of youtube videos of this species as pets and how t handle them.

Like something out of Michael Crichton's Micro.

#NoSingleMoms
#NoHymenNoDiamond
#DontWantDaughters

Can't say I'd be wild about running into something like that in the dark, but I'm not afraid of spiders. Mostly I just don't like them crawling on me because I might crush them and get spider guts in my clothes or sheets. If a spider is on my arm or hand it doesn't bother me at all, I just direct it to a safe place to disembark. I don't kill non-poisonous spiders on purpose; I'd much rather live with spiders than mosquitoes and horseflies.

I could see having a big fuzzy pet spider if it wasn't going to bite me. I like snakes too, and I'll catch them in the wild when I can (except, obviously, copperheads and rattlers).

That bastard sure has some fangs on it, though.

kill it

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest

Ugh I would smash that thing with a club. Definitely have a fear of spiders.

Oddly I don't find tarantulas scary. I think they're pretty cool. It's black widows that give me nightmares.

I wonder if it's edible. It could be like an exotic soft shell crab

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

A true friend is the most precious of all possessions and the one we take the least thought about acquiring.

Wow that is really cool.

I have never felt any revulsion towards spiders, snakes, etc. That thing is pretty fascinating to me.

From the article:
"After catching the specimen he found in Guyana, which was female, Naskrecki took her back to his lab to study. She's now deposited in a museum.

Naskrecki didn't specify whether the spider was kept alive or not, only that she "remains in Guyana where she was collected, where she serves the purpose of training and educatiing conservation biologists, including members of native indian communities in the country." He plans to address questions about the spider in a post on his blog."

Yeah, I don't know these things don't give me much fear.

I faint at the sight of blood and gore. I fear wild dogs immensely.

I've come face to face with sharks, even rubbing against a hammerhead. I've encountered a pit viper in the wild. It hasn't fazed me one bit.

Kill it with fire

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Quote: (10-21-2014 10:32 AM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

I fear wild dogs immensely.

Like stray dogs?

I never had a phobia of animals but some places in the world stray dogs are a common sight, and if you get onto their territory, suddenly you have 4 or 5 big dogs growling at you looking real aggressive. That's just common sense fear, not a phobia.

I have walked down alleys full of stray dogs barking and growling at me, I was witha friend who told me literally just raise up your arms, puff out your chest, keep your head high, and stare them right in the eyes.

Worked for us. Your mileage may vary...

Oh goodie! I just put the source through an url shortener and sent it out to a bunch of girls in my phone book.

I drink their cries.

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!

Quote: (10-21-2014 10:37 AM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Quote: (10-21-2014 10:32 AM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

I fear wild dogs immensely.

Like stray dogs?

I never had a phobia of animals but some places in the world stray dogs are a common sight, and if you get onto their territory, suddenly you have 4 or 5 big dogs growling at you looking real aggressive. That's just common sense fear, not a phobia.

I have walked down alleys full of stray dogs barking and growling at me, I was witha friend who told me literally just raise up your arms, puff out your chest, keep your head high, and stare them right in the eyes.

Worked for us. Your mileage may vary...

Since my time in Romania I've always subscribed to the 'bend over to pick up a rock' (no need for the rock to actually be there), which I picked up from the locals. The dogs, naturally, fear the impending rock.

I just looked it up, and this page seems to advocate that tactic as a last resort.
http://www.thewayofslowtravel.com/2013/1...tray-dogs/

Maybe this deserves its own thread, I've been to many places where stray dogs are everywhere and potentially dangerous.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

A true friend is the most precious of all possessions and the one we take the least thought about acquiring.

Am I the only one that's not afraid of spiders or clowns, for that matter?

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

Spiders don't normall squick me out but holy shit I look at that and feel nauseated.

That's bad ass !

Vicious, stealing your idea ![Image: evil.gif]

Fuck Sting and conservation. Level the Amazon already.

"I have refused to wear a condom all of my life, for a simple reason – if I’m going to masturbate into a balloon why would I need a woman?"

Quote: (10-21-2014 12:19 PM)TheWastelander Wrote:  

Am I the only one that's not afraid of spiders or clowns, for that matter?

I dont like the known poisonous spiders like the Black Widow, but things like Tarantulas doesnt scare me. Neither clowns, i found them boring.

BTW, nice Fallout reference in your nick/avatar.

"What is important is to try to develop insights and wisdom rather than mere knowledge, respect someone's character rather than his learning, and nurture men of character rather than mere talents." - Inazo Nitobe

When i´m feeling blue, when i just need something to shock me up, i look at this thread and everything get better!

Letters from the battlefront: Argentina

I may or may not have sent this to a bunch of girls I'm banging or trying to bang:

I cropped the spider with the human hand.....got a reaction....then sent the picturing comparing the hand with the spider.

Best thing I've ever done.

[Image: laugh4.gif]

[attachment=22295]