rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The pros and cons of dating models

So I've been fiending for models lately. How do you approach them differently? Any special things to look out for?

I came across a decent answer to the pros / cons question on Quora (http://www.quora.com/If-you-are-a-man-wh...ing-models) - pasted below:

Pros:

-- Models are almost always mellow in daily life. They're used to gliding through life without a ton of responsibility, and so they don't tend to be as high-strung as the average woman (or man, for that matter). They're in the moment, natural buddhists. The type A exceptions are the ones that start fashion/media empires (Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum) but the vast majority aren't like that at all. The cattiness you hear about is a tiny fraction of the elite models; most are just working stiffs like the rest of humanity, trying to get the next gig, as professional as they have to be.

-- They're not nearly as entitled as I, at least, thought they would be.
They're brutally realistic about their looks, where they stand with respect to other women, what's perfect and not-quite-perfect about themselves, etc. Even at their elite level of attractiveness, they've been picked over by hundreds of men and women, beaten out by other models, etc. In a sense, they've lived longer lives when it comes to looks; their experiences are hyper-compressed.

-- They tend to value you, as a guy, on something other than your looks, because they've spent time with male models and have fished those waters. If you're hot, you'll feel like less of a trophy yourself (than usual); if you're not, you may actually have a shot. And yet...
They will happily critique your style if you like, and have a really good eye, in general. Surprisingly, many are not all that aware of the season's specific trends on the men's side, but they've picked up a general sense of proportion and color and cut and fit.

-- They are REALLY fucking entertaining when you watch any kind of fashion or modeling show. It's amazing how much goes on behind the scenes and how much they can fill in the blanks. Not all models are fashion geeks in disguise, but most of them are, at least the ones I've dated. All women love to throw out opinions with these shows, but only models can do so with matter-of-fact credibility, rather than cognitive dissonance-fueled envy.

-- If you're susceptible to the siren call of external validation, you will be serenaded every moment of your public life. Guys will stare; their girlfriends will stare and then quickly glare at their mates; and random people will ask you what your secret is, if they don't just give you the smile and nod.

Cons:

-- Models are used to being objectified by men, and tend to be a little suspicious at first of your motives. It takes a little more effort to get through to them than to the average woman, in my experience. They 'test' you more at first, check to see if you're just a guy hunting for a trophy.

-- Models are, on average, average in everything else besides looks. They're not stupid or brilliant, not sweet or cruel, not cultured or boorish. Their looks set high expectations and their personalities usually fail to deliver. Imagine having a lunch with a billionaire....who turns out to be as boring as an accountant and leaves you peeking at your watch. It's a downer.

-- In the vein of hyper-compressed lives, they realize that they only have 5-10 good years in their current niche; then they need to make the transition into something else. There are far more commercials/ads that feature hot 23 year olds than those that feature attractive 35 year olds (think Lexus commercial). The other direction is going into fashion/design, and models are completely average when it comes to entrepreneurship. The few successes, like the two above, trick the thousands of others into believing that it's that easy. It's lottery psychology.

-- Back to the external validation from above; people will assume that you're just dating her for her looks, and no one will take her or the relationship seriously. Ever. It doesn't matter how much time they spend with her, or what you do together, etc. The attention from strangers gets incredibly tiresome after a while, and you start to understand why some women put off such an ice shield when in public. I was doing it myself after a while.

-- There are really just two archetypes in the mainstream modeling world for women: fashion model and swimsuit model. Fashion models usually are very tall, very skinny, usually flat-chested; swimsuit/lingerie models can be average-height and tend to have more of a classic hourglass shape. These are two tiny, limited corners of the wide landscape of actual feminine figures. This will sound downright bizarre, but after a while, those two body shapes start to seem ordinary, even boring. It's hard to explain. You don't start to see other body shapes as more attractive, but the aesthetic shock of 'perfection' wears off.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

incisive, condensed, and encouraging. accurately lowers the correct expectations, and diminishes the unfounded secret fears. brilliant.

Great post man.

I've never banged any A list models, but I've gotten numbers from real fashion models I'm "friends" with now. Model can mean a lot, for me what model doesn't mean is some average chick who got some pro photos taken because some dude with a camera wanted to fuck her.

The actual fashion models(NYC/Miami crowd), at least pre mid-20s are really juvenile. I don't think you need to play this much different than you would any one else at this mental level.

Then you have what I would call your pseudo models, doing commercial work for stuff that doesn't want the tall fashion model body. Probably more likely to be from a higher class background and daddy is paying some of her expenses, may be even that was the foot in the door at the beginning. You may find these girls more attractive than the pros depending on your preferable body type. The personalities here can be pretty toxic. (emphasis on personality if you actually want to *date* a girl and not have it be a total mind fuck)

If you take a look on Google Maps, you can see there are a lot of modelling agencies in an area north of Union Square (nyc) moving up around Broadway. Every once and a while I've seen some super hot blondes in the area, obvious models, but they are always walking just under running speed. Huh, wonder why. I've never managed to meet any outside of clubs and private parties.

Dating real models is definitely a status symbol, and something I haven't been able to pull off yet.

Quote: (04-09-2011 07:46 PM)babelfish669 Wrote:  

I've never banged any A list models, but I've gotten numbers from real fashion models I'm "friends" with now. Model can mean a lot, for me what model doesn't mean is some average chick who got some pro photos taken because some dude with a camera wanted to fuck her.

This is also a great source of negs for me. If you understand how the fashion model game works, you can call girls out on saying they're a "model." Most models have aspired to be fashion models at some point, but didn't make the cut for whatever reason.

You can smoke out the ones who are playing at being models spending daddy's money to get some vanity shots by asking questions like:
- "Oh yeah, what agency are you with?" (even if she does have an agency, a good response is "Never heard of it...")
- "Oh cool.. Where did you work during fashion week?"
- Or even a surprised "Really?" and then look her up and down making her worry about her measurements.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Caligula -

"Oh yeah, what agency are you with?"

If you want to sound even more down with the model Game, simply say:

"Who are you with?"

(Insider tip for all of you).

I've had 2 run ins with glamour models. The first one was quite a weird situation. A model who you'd assume would have all the male attention in the world barely got approached by guys at all. I eventually had to let her go because she was such an attention seeker wanted to be told how great she was every second (no exaggeration). I had a meeting with a well established agency on the day of a casting. Walked in to the waiting room and was confronted by no less than 20 7+ girls none of whom were under 6 foot. It was a toxic atmosphere. Nobody talking to eachother and everyone eyeing up the competition. The one girl who was talking was very fake and spoke in a really loud voice about how great she was and all of the offers she's had to do work. It's a good environment in the sense that the pretty girls who are usually getting adored feel vulnerable. I made conversation with a model sitting next to me from Lithuania. We went on a few dates and still talk every now and then.