rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advice for an alcoholic...

Hey all. I don't drink anymore and i'm fine with it, but i need advice. What do you think I should tell girls. A few times i've been on dates or been at a bar or club and the subject comes up. Do you want to get something to drink after coffee? Are you drinking? Do you want to go out for drinks? etc.
I can say: I don't drink. But right away they ask why, always? I can say i'm not in the mood, but usually people still push or think i'm being lame or a downer. I've noticed this with younger chicks especially. I can lie (AA recommended) and say i'm on medication or i'm driving. Or tell the truth. I've tried it all. Usually older chicks seem cooler about the truth but it's still something that's weird to talk about on a first or second date let alone an approach. Younger girls tend to get a bit weirded out at any point. Part of me wants to be aloof and not give a shit but there is still stigma attached to being an alcoholic. Thanks everyone in advanced.
Chemical O

I'd try to just say that I don't like alcohol (as everybody knows there are lots of reasons not to like it) for about 20-25 pick up attempts. If that doesn't work for whatever reason, try saying you're an alcoholic without making such a big deal about it, just be cool and don't give a shit about it.

Bottom line is that if you're self-conscious and worry about something then so will the girl. Focus on her flaws instead of your own (not saying its a flaw mind you).

a couple things here..

if a girl wants to grab a drink but you dont drink i'd say something along the lines of 'i'm not drinking tonight but please feel free to have one w/o me.'

i've found if you are out and want to not have to answer the question why you arent drinking order a tonic water w/lime, or diet coke, just so you have something in your hand.

i was watching a show about the Navy Seals once and one of the instructors basically said he didnt drink and when asked why he said "ive had too many close calls and 'almosts' so i stopped. its just easier that way" as someone who has had more then my fair share of alcohol related close calls and almost i completely understood. i used to drink a lot more then i do but throttled back and am glad i did. i still have the occasional blowout to blow off steam but its once every few months, not every Friday and Saturday. if a girl asks why you dont drink or arent drinking say something to the effect of "i dont drink that often." if asked why say "its just easier that way. why do you drink?" if you are confident in response (which you should be because what you are doing is higher value then the bar slut getting hammered) it shouldnt be an issue.

Sketchy advice...but for dates you could take a chick to a lounge and head there by yourself beforehand and explain your situation to the waitstaff, basically saying your not drinking because you are a recovering alcohol, but you want your date to feel comfortable, thus you will be ordering two drinks of watever. Then instruct them to not put any booze into your drink. You don't drink and your date gets to if she wants. Just make sure to tip good. Got this advice from some dating guru, cant remember who.

You can always say youre allergic to it. Ive got a friend who breaks out in hives the minute he drinks in turn hes a massive pot head but thats neither here nor there. Tough for her to get upset about it if you say youre allergic.

Good luck

Quote: (03-30-2011 02:05 AM)Jack Frost Wrote:  

You can always say youre allergic to it. Ive got a friend who breaks out in hives the minute he drinks in turn hes a massive pot head but thats neither here nor there. Tough for her to get upset about it if you say youre allergic.

Good luck

this is great advice imo. obviously nature vs. nurture debate is here w/ the alcoholism, ie, "is it a physical disease or a choice?"

"im allergic to alcohol, i get sick when i drink."

100% quality advice, nicely played.

Yeah..i ve never tried to say im allergic to alcohol...gotta try this one.

health reasons other than being an alcoholic, makes sense and doesn't open unwanted issues

Quote: (03-30-2011 12:54 AM)JD11 Wrote:  

Got this advice from some dating guru, cant remember who.

You can't remember the name because that is terrible advice. Way too much work, and seeking way too much validation for something you should be comfortable with.

I'm ok with saying you're allergic, but that kind of sounds like a weakness, and a girl might think you're lame.

How about you just tell the girls you're straight edge. That puts you back in control.

I sometimes can't drink because of my work and I am always having to explain why I am not drinking.

I have used everything from "I am on a diet" to "I don't want to have whiskey dick when I get you into bed tonight." Million ways to play this, just keep it light and roll with it.