rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bangkok Data Sheet

Bangkok Data Sheet

As you guys may know, I just returned from my first mini retirement in South East Asia. I spent 3 and half months there. About 90% of my time was spent in Bangkok with side trips to Phuket, Ko Phi Phi, James Bond Island, Ko Samet, Pattaya and 3 weeks in Cebu City in the Philippines. On this post, I'm going to post a data sheet of Bangkok as I lived in there for about 3 months between the end of October 2010 to early February 2011.

Needless to say I LOVED BKK hence why I spent the majority of my time in Thailand there. I loved it for many reasons, such as being a city rich in culture, combining perfectly the milennia old Thai culture with the ultra modern, as well as being a very international city full of foreigners from all over the world where it's very easy to meet people. It's also a great location for business as BKK is a strategic business hub in Asia. You're just an hour away from Phuket, Krabi or other amazing beaches; Hongk Kong is 2 hours away, Singapore, 1.5 hours, Kuala Lumpur, 2 hours; Tokyo only 6 hours so it's a very good location where you're near to some fantastic locations.

Infrastructures are good to conduct business there both from the internet than opening one there and having a physical office. I toyed with the idea of opening an office there and hiring sales people there and I may do that next time I go there. Also, the food is to die for and very reasonably priced. Night life is one of the best in the world (more on that later!) and the cost of living is very reasonable and can be quite cheaper than North America or Europe. More on that later! I will break down this post in categories (safety; night life and girls; cost of living/budget).

First of all, as I mentioned on my mini retirement thread, getting there from North America is a major pain the butt as it's far and the time difference is considerable. My flight had one connection in Abu Dhabi but the overall length of the flight was over 21 hours. And the time difference between the east coast and Bangkok is 12 hours (or was at the time, now it's 11 hours due to the summer time savings here in North America). So if you add these 2 (major long flight+considerable time difference= you being dead tired, jet lagged and it takes a good 3-5 days to recover and get settled in your new time zone. My point for point that out is if you come to Asia, don't bother with 1 or 2 weeks, it should be a least a month if you want to get a good feel for it and get the best bang for your buck.

From the first moment you get out of the airport in BKK, you realize it's a mix of modern and old traditional with an air of controlled chaos that adds to the overall excitement that this places creates. It's a breathe of fresh air coming from the very strict, controlled and overly politically correct environment of NA, at least for me. Now, safety:

Safety in Bangkok

In my 3 months there, I never felt unsafe or threatened there. And I walked at all hours of the day and night. Quite a few nights ( or rather early mornings), returning from clubbing, I was more than piss drunk and walking home for a 2-3 blocks and never had a problem. This was in the Sukhumvit area of town, which is a rather nice and modern part of BKK. When in BKK, it's best to stay in that area as that's where you'll find the most English speaking people/businesses. I usually stay away from English speaking people/businesses when travelling, but because Thai language is such a difficult one, I'd have to rely on it all the time. So back to safety tips, one major if not vital tip I can give to anyone going to BKK or Thailand is to NEVER EVER get in a fight with a Thai (be it a guy, or worst, a ladyboy or a girl) because when a Thai gets in a fight with a foreigner, the entire street teams up with the Thai and beats up the foreigner. Do not play the hero or the tough guy, even if you weigh 500 pounds and just trashed Anderson Silva at UFC 184 or whatever they're at now. The only time I almost got into trouble was in a bar in BKK, while watching an Arsenal match this Manchester United English fan who was obviously drunk started talking shit with me and instead of escalating with that slob, I just left the place as the guy was pissed drunk and didn't want to ruin a nice evening. Morale of the story, watch out for the drunk Englishmen, specially if a football match is on. Other than that, never ever piss off a Thai or worst, get into a fight with one as you'll be the only loser at the end, no matter how buffed up you are. Keep that in mind and you'll have no problem. This applies not only in BKK but through the Kingdom and all of Asia.

Accommodations/where to stay in BKK

A great thing about BKK and Thailand is that it's a destination that is easy on the wallet, unlike say Japan. Good, quality accommodations for all budgets can easily be found there. For about 30-40 bucks a night, you can easily stay at a relatively nice hotel with free wifi, swimming pool and breakfast. The best site bar none to book hotels at deep discounts in Asia is http://www.agoda.com (I booked 95% of my accommodations in my 3.5 months in Asia through that site).

Tai Pan Hotel, on Soi Sukhumvit 23, which I later found out, is on the same street as Soi Cowboy (the street filled with gogo bars) which turned out to be my favorite place to start an evening before hitting the clubs. The Tai Pan hotel is a large chain in Thailand and accross Asia. One morning, while having breakfast met the owner of that chain and spoke with him for a while and he turned out to be a good man. Anyways, I liked that hotel, clean hotel, big sized rooms, free and fast wifi (which is a must for my biz), a good gym and a decent sized swimming pool. It's about 4 minutes walk to the Asok BTS station and MRT subway station. Excellent location and the rate in October was about $40/night without breakfast. The staff were very professional, helpful and fluent in English. The breakfast buffet was 175 Baht and it had the best selection in all the of the hotels I stayed at throughout my 3.5 months in Asia. I would highly recommend this hotel. I stayed there for a week, the first week in BKK.

Nantra de Comfort, on Thong Lor street, which is one of the poshest areas of BKK. Very small, almost family like feel hotel, but very nice staff ( the girls are reception are HOT!), very helpful, very clean and comfortable rooms, excellent and fast free wifi and a modest breakfast included. I liked this place very much and stayed there for almost 3 weeks. Only reason I left is because I didn't find any good eating options nearby the hotel and had to "commute" (well, only 2 stops away on the BTS or a 5 minutes ride on the train and 5 minutes waking to get to the station) to Asok station where I usually ate.

Hotel Unico Express, Soi Nana 3. About 8 minutes walk from the Nana station, in Sukhumvit, right around the corner from the world famous Nana Entertainment Plaza (or NEP) but I never liked that place and woulrd rarely venture there. However, the location of the hotel was very good, with tons of good restaurants, specially Thai, middle eastern and Indian. Soi Arab was actually just around the corner. Soi Arab is basically 2 or 3 small streets filled with arabic stores, restaurants and people but also indians and persians. The hotel is good, staff are nice, friendly and speak English (at least the reception folks). Rooms are clean, big enough if you get the Superior one as you'd have a big bed, a desk to work (important for me) and a big sofa to receive guests and chill on and of course, indulge in some fun activites on it with the ladies. [Image: wink.gif] Excellent free wifi included, but no breakfast. No biggie as the breakfast buffet is good and costs about 175B (used to be 150 but was raised in Feb). From the end of November till end of Dec (before I left to the Phils) and each time returning to BKK, I went back there as they gave me an excellent deal (I paid about 700B for their superior room.

I will be using these hotels again next time in BKK, but I'd also like to try the 5 star Lebua as well, which is reasonably priced for a 5 star of this calibre at only $120/night.

General comments about BKK girls

Girls in BKK are generally very sexy, ranging from adorably cute to stunners (I'm talking about non pros) and even the pros have some very good looking ones. Take the BTS on any given afternoon, or go to Emporium or Siam Paragon and you'll be blown away by the quality of the eye candy. Plus, they dress very nicely and sexily, in a very feminine way, unlike the North American girls who dress like total sluts, specially during the summer. Non pros are quite open to meet a nice and classy foreigner, not the smelly, sloppy back packer. However, if you want the really beautiful girls, the ones that make heads turn and cause accidents on the streets each time they pass, you'd need to speak Thai, live there and have a social circle as the last thing the good and pretty girls from good families want is to be labelled a puta that hangs out with the 1 weeker backpacker or sex tourist.

Online gaming

I used online gaming a bit, specially in the beginning, when I didn't know anyone. I used mainly DIA or dateinasia.com My results were so so. About 99% of the girls there post pics that have been taken a good 10 years ago and /or have been heavily photoshopped if not both. Met quite a few girls that were nothing like their pics. I did however, meet a sexy, beautiful girl who had her own money, her career and a nice car through that site. I dated her for about 3 weeks before I got tired of her. It took me 3 dates before she gave it up, but it was well worth it as after that, she would bring her younger colleague and the 3 of us, would go clubbing and then, coming back to my hotel, sleeping all 3 of us, together. Wild and fun times. So all in all, not worth spending too much time on DIA as it's too easy to pick up in BKK, specially at night, but you might get lucky as I did with that girl.

Night life

Nightlife is good, specially around the Sukhumvit area. What I usually did was meet up wity my buddy there, then we'd hit up the bars at Soi Cowboy, get cheap drinks while flirting and having fun with hot and sexy strippers. While there are 2 strippers and strip bar areas (NEP at NANA and Soi Cowboy at Asok), I vastly preferred Soi Cowboy since it had a party vibe to it and attracts a younger crowd while NANA is more for the older (sex) tourist. The girls are way more fun at SC while at Nana, they're all strictly business. My favorite gogos in SC are Long Gun (that places gets going crazy some nights, like everyone dancing, guys joining the girls on the stage as I did once with another guy and 5 hot almost naked strippers and having a ball together while everyone in the crowd high 5ing us. Shored a spinner nympho from there once. Another great place for awesome shows is Rawe Hide, next door to Long Gun which also has some great shows by some very sexy girls. For pure eye candy, go to Tilac, accross the street or Midnite or Sahara. If you want a more rawdy action, then head to either Afterskook (with its famous "dirty corner" where you can get blown or even do the girl right there by the counter in a corner. LOL If you guys are interested, I could do a separate post just on the gogos at Soi Cowboy, as that place is an incredible place to spend a great night before going clubbing with or without a gogo girl. Most nights, I went there, shored a girl and ended up hitting the clubs with her. At the end, I had 3 regulars from the gogos who would go with me all the time for free and that never charged me a penny from the get go.

Clubbing

BKK has a vibrant clubbing scene. In Sukhumvit, you have Climax, which is located on Soi 11, on the basement of the Ambassador's hotel. That place was a place I spent a lot of time. It has a mix of non pros and some hot pros there. The fun part is not picking up girls as that's too easy, but to get the pros to come with you for free. It became a game for me at the end where I wouldn't even approach the non pros as they were too easy and would focus on shoring the pros just for the kick of it and for the challenge. They have a good live band until 1 or 1:30 am. On the weekends, I would go there, watch a football match there while dancing with 1 or 2 girls. Lots of fun memories there. Entrance is 200B per person which includes a drink. Drinks are priced between 150 for a beer to 180 for a glass of liquor. However, those mofos water down your drinks big time. Numerous times, I had the waiter return as he would bring me a glass of coke with no rum/vodka at all while I had asked for a rum/vodka/coke. I encountered this problem unfortunatley in most clubs in BKK and even in some gogos in Phuket. But that's another story...

Q Bar, is also on Soi 11, a more upscale bar, lots of eye candy. Bed SupperClub, also a hot spot for prime eye candy. Don't remember the pricing there as I only went a couple of times.

Narz or Narciss, a very high end club, on Soi 21, in Sukhumvit. Went there with the girl I met from DIA on a Sunday night, it was empty, free entrance, but drinks expensive for BKK (think 200B for a beer/soft drink). However, the interior was sick. This is the place that the rich and beautiful people of BKK go. The parking lot of Narz is filled with Porshes, (owned by the rich Thais). Went there again on a Saturday night, there was a huge line up, MAJOR eye candy, both Thai and gringos. Entrance was 600B/person. HOwever, the line up was huge so we (me, the Thai girl from Dia and her colleague went to another club instead whose name escapes me at this time).

Cost of Living/Budgeting for BKK

I spent there 3 months and I was having a ball on 500/week. That is going out, almost everynight, first to the gogos to warm up, then cubbing and coming to the hotel in the wee hours of the morning. I ate out all the time, took cab mostly at nights and the BTS during the day. Cabs are relatively cheap in BKK. Oh, when arriving in BKK, at the airport, just go to the lower area where the departures is located and just get a cab from there. Make sure the meter is on and your ride from the airport to Sukhumivt should be no more than 250, tops 300B. When staying in BKK, make sure you get a BTS card which you can purchase for 100B then you can put money on it for your trips on the BTS. It's extremely convenient as it saves you the time and hassle of purchasing a ticket each trip as you just swipe your card and off you go. All in all, next time I come to BKK, I won't stay long term in a hotel, but instead would get an apart. I did see some good deals to be had if one is willing to sign a 3-6 months contract and even better deals for 12 months contracts. I was spending about 1K/month on hotels so with that amount or even less, I can rent a nice apart in a good area. For a good lifestyle, I think 2.5 to 3K/month, you can really live it up in BKK. A good time can also be had for as little as 1.5 to 2K month if one is not too picky about staying outside of Sukhumvit.

This is getting a bit long, so I'll stop now. Any specific questions, feel free to post them here. Bangkok is an amazing city in all aspects. and I can't wait to return there. I LOVED it and so will you provided you you remember my warnings. Have fun.

Bangkok Data Sheet

Great report VP.

Roosh - give them a man a +1

Bangkok Data Sheet

Bangkok is a cool place at night but I usually get bored of the city within a few days because I find it frustrating to be stuck in traffic all the time in order to go around in the city. You can stay in a hotel in one of the business districts although I wouldn't recommend it because it has NO CHARM at all. Best place to get a hotel or condotel is along the riverside, it's a little bit outside of the city centre but taxis are cheap and will bring you to the main attraction areas for less than 6$ a ride, there are great restaurants to be found along the riverside and its more beautiful than Sukhumvit or Silom.

Langsuan road is a more upscale street with luxury hotels and condos, a little bit overpriced in my opinion but the buildings are very luxurious and it's located in the heart of Bangkok close to everything (walking distance to the Skytrain).

If you stay more than a week then I would recommend staying in a condotel. This are small studios/apartment, usually in a big building for rent on a daily, weekly and monthly basis and can be found everywherein the city (Google).

Hua Hin is 90 mins drive from Bangkok, it's a small seaside town. You can go there in the morning and come back in the evening by Minibus departing from Victory Monument (next to Century shopping mall). There are lots of good restaurants and you can flirt with girls in day time who work in the shoppingmalls or restaurants and meet up with them later.

I would recommend staying out of the main business distrricts in Bangkok especially if you stay for more than a week, in this case it will save you money.

I will start a Datasheet about Chiang Mai soon, this is the capital of north Thailand, it's not as big as one might think but it's has a very relaxed vibe and one can have fun there on a very low budget!

Bangkok Data Sheet

Vacancier Permanent,

Great Sheet.

Which are your favorite Beaches there? (all things considered, ie girls, beauty, nightlife, food, fun etc)

Tommy-

"I will start a Datasheet about Chiang Mai soon, this is the capital of north Thailand, it's not as big as one might think but it's has a very relaxed vibe and one can have fun there on a very low budget!"

I am looking forward to that.

How would you compare Bangkok VS Chiang Mai?

Bangkok Data Sheet

Quote: (03-14-2011 10:55 AM)Tommy Wrote:  

Langsuan road is a more upscale street with luxury hotels and condos, a little bit overpriced in my opinion but the buildings are very luxurious and it's located in the heart of Bangkok close to everything (walking distance to the Skytrain).

This place is good. For about $150 USD a night you can rent a 2 bedroom flat with two baths, kitchen, & living room.
http://bangkok.frasershospitality.com

Bangkok Data Sheet

Quote: (03-14-2011 11:34 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

How would you compare Bangkok VS Chiang Mai?

Chiang Mai is completely different than Bangkok.

It's much smaller and has more culture. You can (almost) do everything by foot in Chiang Mai although it's better to rent a motorbike (4$ a day) or ride the red trucks or use tuk-tuks.

Chiang Mai feels more like a big town rather than a city, you'll find small coffeeshops, foreign-owned bars, typical Thai restaurants and parks in and around the city. You can go out of the city and be in the middle of nature in less than 20 mins (by motorbike), this makes life more enjoyable. The city is located in a valley on top of the mountains, at night you'll get amazing sunsets and during winter time it actually gets quite cold (for Thai standards).

Chiang Mai girls are known to have lighter skin.

Lots of Backpackers stay and pass thru Chiang Mai, it's a cheap city. You can rent a hotel room with aircon and wifi for about 200 US$ a month or a luxurious 1 bed room apartment with swimmingpool for less than 600 US$ a month. Theres no serious "bar hooker scene" in Chiang Mai although there are quite some to be found but not like in Pattaya or Phuket for example.

The best nightclubs open Friday and Saturday, lots of students go there but you can play during the week. Like I said, it's a laid back city with alot of small restaurants (cheap), foreign-owned bars (good vibes but on the cheap side) and a few good nightclubs. During weekdays there are some nightclubs who cater to tourists and the budget minded Thais.

It might be too laid back for some of you here but that's what I like about this place. You can live a comfortable life overthere on 1000 US$ a month.

The cost of living is GREAT, theres always a relaxed vibe around, people are friendly, LOTS of places to eat and drink but prepare to learn some basic Thai words and don't expect it to be anything like Bangkok, it's quite the opposite.

Bangkok Data Sheet

Tommy,

Nice report. Can you break out a full Data Sheet on Chiang Mai?

"although it's better to rent a motorbike (4$ a day)"

Ha. My little brother was just there and he stacked on a motorbike. Didn't get hurt though.

"and theres girls to be found"

How do they compare to BKK? Equal (all things considered)? Or is one place blow doors on the other?

Bangkok Data Sheet

You'll find pretty girls in both cities but I have to admit you see alot more stunners in Bangkok because it's much bigger and girls seem to dress up better. CM really just is a town compared to Bangkok.

I'll start a Datasheet on CM tomorrow.

The 2005 statistics report by the BMA Data Center notes a registered population of 5,658,953.[16] However, this figure does not take into account the many unregistered residents. Most of the city’s population are ethnic Thais. The Chinese are by far the largest minority.[17] Recently, Bangkok has experienced a large influx of foreign immigrants, long-term residents, and expatriates. Long-term foreign residents include 250,000 mainland Chinese, 85,000 Indians (most of whom are Sikh), of whom more than 80% have dual Thai citizenship,[18] 44,000 Japanese,[19] 25,000 Americans[citation needed], 45,000 Europeans, 15,000 Taiwanese, 20,000 South Koreans, 6,000 Nigerians, 7,500 Australians, 12,000 people of Arabic speaking countries, 20,000 Malaysians, 4,000 Singaporeans, 5,000 Filipinos, and 800 New Zealanders. It is estimated that 5-10% of Bangkok's population is of Burmese (a large number of them are considered by Thai authority as illegal immigrants).[citation needed] A vast majority of the population, 92%, is Buddhist. The rest are Muslim (6%), Christian (1%), Hindu/Sikh (0.6%), Jewish (300 residents), and others.[citation needed] There are some 450 Buddhist temples, 170 mosques, 60 churches, 3 Hindu Temples, 3 synagogues, 1 Sikh gurdwara and 1 Jain temple in Bangkok.[citation needed]

Bangkok Data Sheet

Wow, so many good data sheets as of late! You are making me want to go back to Thailand again. Did Roosh say he's going to make a subforum for datasheets?

Bangkok Data Sheet

I'm still demanding there be a subforum for datasheets, but I understand Roosh not wanting to segregate info, split threads.

Haha I didn't know that there were 800 New Zealanders in Bangkok. Interesting.

Excellent data sheet VP. Bangkok is one of my favourite places. The wikitravel for Bangkok is surprisingly quite comprehensive too.

Just a few things to add:
Ladyboys: You may see some stunningly beautiful "women" during your time in Bangkok. Apparently the amount of estrogen/growth hormones in thai chicken results in reduced levels of testosterone in men during birth and then wanting to switch teams later on (it's only about $4000US, adams apple removal, shaving down their jawline, vaginoplasty, boobjob) Try going to a Fantasea show while in Phuket.
They get easier to spot the more time you spend in Bangkok. Watch for big wrists/hands, deeper voice, thicker legs, stronger jawline/eyebrow line.
If you're considering going home with a girl, and you have a sneaking suspicion that it's too good to be true, ask to see their Thai national ID card, every Thai has one, and it will have their original gender on it.

Girls: Thai girls raised in traditional families will often wait until marriage before having sex. Often a loss of face is involved and the girl is seen as unclean by her parents if she has sex before marriage. I've heard of Thai girls refusing to kiss on dates (kissing in public is actually a criminal offence, but the cop has to be a real dick to act on it)
A rising number of Thais are having sex in their teenage years due to a change in culture. Abortion surgery is actually illegal in Thailand so it is often done in backalley clinics. Although the morning after pill is available over the counter.

Although, I did get my Thai superflag in Bangkok after a couple dates, and took her home after the club. (Zaleng Club: Full of Thais, live band in one room, dj in the other, bottle service of smirnoff+mixers for about 1500 baht, great night out)

Taxi Drivers: Don't get into arguments with them. Chances are they have a gun/knife in their glovebox. Just try to barter on a fare before you get in the cab or go by meter.

Bangkok Data Sheet

Nice report....I plan on living in Bangkok this summer for 3 months. I will be using Bangkok as my launch pad so to speak renting a serviced apt and exploring Chiang Mai/Cambodia along with a few other islands. I am not a fan of Phuket IMO over-run with toursits/touts and expensive, there are better beaches to go to without the hassles. I believe Everyone needs to visit Pattaya just because it is such a freak show, but a long weekend is about all I could take. But definetly worth a trip.

What i have found great about Bangkok besides the hot women, (tons of em pros and non pros) are the cool expats that have made Bangkok their home. Yes, there are Kooks, but also some real colorful charachters. Also its one of the biggest hubs for travellers in Asia, so you could be at a road side bar in Bangkok at 3am drinking with a swede, a Brit, and an oil worker from Iran watching pros, ladyboys, and nigerian drug runners cruise up and down the soi.... then the next night clubbing in g-Clubs with rich japanese salarymen on vacation. In Bangkok there are so many options, and I look forward to peeling apart more of the layers of that great city.

Believe me Bangkok does not sleep....its a city that is truly alive, and free from a lot of the PC bullshit you will find in the West....its a good mix of 1st world/3rd world living....

I like the idea of data sheets and I appreciate what you guys are doing. Cant wait to hit up S. America in the summer of 2012...

Here is a great website to find hotels, serviced apts, and nightlife in Bangkok, Pattaya, & Chiang Mai

http://www.soidb.com/en/bangkok/index.html

Keep living the dream--
tully

Bangkok Data Sheet

Tommy -

"I'll start a Datasheet on CM tomorrow."

Nice work.

Tully Mars -

"Believe me Bangkok does not sleep....its a city that is truly alive, and free from a lot of the PC bullshit you will find in the West"

I loved that comment. Makes me want to roll even more than I already do.

This might sound like a dumb question, but can you smoke in bars and restaurants there?

Bangkok Data Sheet

Great info here.

I don't like going out and drinking every night, so I'd be very interested to hear how feasible the Hugh Hephner lifestyle is (multiple gorgeous live in preferably non-pro girlfriends).

Bangkok Data Sheet

Quote: (03-14-2011 07:48 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Tommy -

"I'll start a Datasheet on CM tomorrow."

Nice work.

Tully Mars -

"Believe me Bangkok does not sleep....its a city that is truly alive, and free from a lot of the PC bullshit you will find in the West"

I loved that comment. Makes me want to roll even more than I already do.

This might sound like a dumb question, but can you smoke in bars and restaurants there?

I think it depends on the bars/restaurants but a majority of the bars I frequented allowed it.....In Bangkok there are a lot of outdoor beer gardens and open aired restuarants/cafes/bars where I always saw people smoking. Bangkok also caters to a large middle eastern population of toursit and you will be surrounded by hookahs and many blends of tobacco....(just dont throw your butt on the ground....in front of the boys in brown, common tourist scam by cops but it is a hefty littering fine)

G---Lawyers, codes and lawsuits have not completly fucked the individual out of a good time in Bangkok like whats happening here more and more in the west....If you can think it up and have the money....Bangkok more than likely has a service/venue for you...where you can really cut loose....do yourself a favor and get over there.

Bangkok Data Sheet

I spent a bit of time in both Bangkok and Chaing Mai, and I personally prefer Chaing Mai a lot. Bangkok is an interesting place and it's got a lot of energy, but it's a huge sprawling city, has some of the worst traffic in the world and really horrible air pollution.

I had a bit of bad luck with the nightlife as the first weekend I was there was the king's birthday and the sale of alcohol was banned and again at the end of the trip when it was a Buddhist holiday and alcohol was banned on a Fri. night. I will say that Bangkok nightlife by the little sampling I got is pretty damn good. I hit both Khao San Rd. and the Sukhumvit areas, Khao San is a fucking zoo and basically a backpacker ghetto, but there are a shit ton of bars there and hot girls from all over the world. If you have strong game and are not afraid to approach I think there would be an abundance of girls to swoop off Khao San Rd.

I didn't hit up as much stuff in Sukhumvit unfortunately, but checked out a few spots V.P. mentioned. One bar that I liked and would recommend as a warm up spot is called "Cheap Charlie's", and is at Sukhumvit Soi 11, itt's really informal chill out vibe with a mix of expats, tourists, and locals, drinking good cheap drinks on the street. Checked out Climax, but thought it was kinda whack, it was full of girls, but most seemed to be working, the live house band was horrible, and the drinks were waay too expensive. Wanted to check out Q Bar, but was denied entry due to the dress code. Stumbled upon Soi Cowboy by accident, but assumed it was strictly p4p, lot's of smoking ridiculously hot girls at those bars (def some 9's and 10's IMO), maybe could have shored this clinger chick who wasn't an official dancer, but she was a 7 at best and wasn't feeling it. Soi Arab, bizzarely enough was my favorite place in Bangkok. You can get good authentic middle eastern food and drink mint tea and smoke hookah, a place I liked and I scoped them all, I believe is called "Sheharazade". It feels like you aren't in S.E. Asia, but like Egypt or Qatar or some shit.

I'd agree with Tommy about Chaing Mai, it's a really chilled out town, which doesn't feel like a city at all. It's got a lot of culture, good food, chilled out vibe, and lot's of expats and universities for an intellectual side. It's definitely not a huge nightlife destination, nor are the girls that impressive compared to Bangkok. However, Chaing Mai is so laid back, everyone seems so approachable and open to meeting new people. It's a major tourist destination and full of expats so there are lot's of women from all over the world. There are a bunch of Thai women too, as it is a university town, but a lot of the Thai university students seem to come from weatlhy families and stick with other Thais.

Some spots I can recommend to check out in Chaing Mai are basically in the old town, the Reggae and live music bars which basically encompass this large square. The most popping and famous is Root's Rock Reggae a classic reggae bar, but also you have Zoe which has surprisingly good Turkish food, as well as a chill out cocktail bar and nightclub. Across the street is "Heaven Beach", which does live music and has a party dive bar feel with sand on the floor. This area with these bars is the best place to party in Chaing Mai, and is mostly full of travelers, with a mix of expats, locals, and some Thai univ. students.

Other than that there are two main clubs in Chaing Mai, the "Monkey Club", which is actually really well run and classy joint, with food, lounge, multiple bars, dance floor, etc. This was the best club I personally went to and was probably 85% Thai university students. Lot's of hot Thai girls, but mostly in big mixed groups of friends. The other major club, I believe is called "The Warm UP Club", and when I went was a total indie rock hipster scene, about 95% Thai college kids, which was surreal for me, because I felt like I was in the Mission Dist. of SF. There is supposed to be a Q Bar in Chaing Mai, but I didn't check it out.

Bangkok Data Sheet

Tully Mars -

"Lawyers, codes and lawsuits have not completly fucked the individual out of a good time in Bangkok like whats happening here more and more in the west."

No doubt. I may push this trip up.

OGNorCal707 -

"was denied entry due to the dress code"

What was the dress code?

What gear is ideal for Thailand?

I was thinking I might even bust some light summer Racetrack suits there and cut the place up into a bloody mess.

Bangkok Data Sheet

Soi Cowboy shoring tip.

Hit up a gogo bar about one hour before closing (typically 1am). Game and escalate / makeout as normal. Make it clear that you are not down for p4p but that she can come home with you when the bar closes if she likes.

I had no trouble finding stippers / gogo girls that were happy to go with me for free and almost got a threesome with my regular girl and her friend (got as far a 3 way makeout and got both of them out of the club but, when push came to shove her friend wanted cash so I had to send her away).

Girls at Soi Cowboy seem more fun and less hardcore pro that the nana plaza chicks.

Bangkok Data Sheet

Quote: (03-15-2011 12:59 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

Soi Cowboy shoring tip.

Hit up a gogo bar about one hour before closing (typically 1am). Game and escalate / makeout as normal. Make it clear that you are not down for p4p but that she can come home with you when the bar closes if she likes.

I had no trouble finding stippers / gogo girls that were happy to go with me for free and almost got a threesome with my regular girl and her friend (got as far a 3 way makeout and got both of them out of the club but, when push came to shove her friend wanted cash so I had to send her away).

Girls at Soi Cowboy seem more fun and less hardcore pro that the nana plaza chicks.
I agree.

Bangkok Data Sheet

G,
I only spent a total of maybe 3 weeks at the beach in Thailand over my 3.5 months there. So that's 1 week in Phuket, twice 1 week at a time in Pattaya with different friends. And from there, I went to Ko Phi Phi which I found FABULOUS but unfortunatley way too touristy. Went to James Bond Island for a day tour but again, over touristy. Ko Samet, off the coasts of Pattaya looked nice, but again too touristy and over taken by Russians. When I was there, I saw more Ruskies than Thais. Ko Samet is more a place to bring your own lady than pick up as this is more of a couple "retreat" if you will. There are so many other awesome islands I wanted to see but didn't get the time as I was having too much fun in BKK. Phuket was cool, but way too touristy and overpriced for Thailand. Most things were priced to Euro prices and not Thailand. Transportation is a bitch there as it's a mafia run, where all the tuk tuk drivers have a monopoly. There are some terrific beaches on Phuket island, outside of Patong beach (which is the most touristy part). When you come to Phuket, do this: stay out of Patong and in another beach and rent either a scooter or a car. It will make things so much easier and allow you the freedom to explore this beautiful island filled with gorgeous beaches. Nightlife in Phuket is principally at Patong beach. I didn't stay long enough at the other island to sample and compare the nightlife with Phuket/Patong. Whatever you do, never ever rent a jet ski as that's a MAJOR scam in Phuket and Pattaya. Just google jet ski rental scam in Phuket/Pattaya and you'll understand what I mean. All in all, Thailand is THE bomb specially BKK. The sooner you make there, the better it will be. But let me warn you, specially if you haven't been to Asia yet, it will change your perception of women for good and for ever and you may also join the ranks of those who will catch an incurable "yellow fever" if you know what I mean. IMO, 2-3 months is a minimum to party your ass like there's no tomorrow in the Land of Smiles. [Image: smile.gif]

Bangkok Data Sheet

Tommy,
The way you describe CM it seems like it's a great little town to spend some serious time to chill/relax and recharge the batteries on the cheap. Wish I had made it to CM during my 3.5 months there, but next time in LOS, CM will be at the top of the list.

Truly Mars,
"Believe me Bangkok does not sleep....its a city that is truly alive, and free from a lot of the PC bullshit you will find in the West....its a good mix of 1st world/3rd world living..."

Totally agree on that and that's IMO, one of THE main reason of BKK's intoxicating allure. Also the fact, as you pointed out, that it hasn't been corrupted by lawyers and strict laws yet where things are much more relaxed and a lot more lax than in NA.

G,
You can smoke and have a bottle of beer anywhere, even on the streets. However, in some restaurants and clubs/bars/gogos, they are now starting to enforce the no smoking rule. As a non smoker, I applaud that but there are enough places that do allow smokers. Hell, you could even take a piss right on the streets in the wee hours of the morning returning from a club piss drunk. LOL

OG, good info on CM. How long did you stay in LOS?

Bangkok Data Sheet

Quote: (03-15-2011 12:59 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

Same algorithm kind of worked for me in Pattaya. However there are four things to watch out though:

- At 1AM the best girls are usually already "taken out" for longtime, so if you visit the gogo to get a specific girl, she might not be there - have a backup plan. Typically you'd have to settle with not the best girl;

- Watch out for ladydrinks. Since you make it clear you're not going to pay her, she may have an incentive to catch it up with ladydrinks as she gets a cut from every drink. I've seen girls getting 2000 baht worth of ladydrinks in an hour (it typically starts with innocent "can I order xxx?" question, where xxx ended up being a 500B drink);

- Even if you're sitting there and playing with her, there is always a possibility that another customer would come in and ask to barfine her - putting you into position where you either have to barfine her (and agree to p4p terms), or let her go (and forfeit your time/ladydrink investment).

- Typically after the bar/gogo is closed, most girls go to discos to freelance, and it is where the punters are looking for them. So 2AM is not the end of earning opportunities for her, and unless she's really tired and want to sleep, she may be hesitant to call it a night. Instead she may ask you out to a club, where you'd spend money on her and her friends. She'll fuck you afterwards, of course, but you'll likely end up spending more than if you just barfined her.

In short summary, what I said before about Thailand, stays as is: Non-p4p in Thailand is a premium service you pay extra for. It is available, but think of it as it is - a service marketed to those tourists who have insecurities. They cannot admit to themselves they're paying for sex, and prefer to think that those 18yo Thai chicks really fall in love with their 40yo fat beer bellies. Basically you're getting the same, or worse quality, girls, and you spend more money for the illusion she goes to your bed without payment. And you pay extra for this illusion.

There are cases when it makes sense to go through this hassle - for example, if you have long-term plans for the girl - but otherwise just be a man, and pay for it. Or bang tourists.

Bangkok Data Sheet

You got me wanting to get back to Thailand! Bangkok is one of my favourite places on earth. I hated it the first time I went, seemed like a massive, smelly, busy, polluted, dump but I grew to love it on the second visit. Such a vibrant city, lots of history and culture, loads to see and do and a great night life. Not too expensive either.

The girls are the best out of anywhere else in SE Asia IMO. Like you say a trip to any shopping mall or on the BTS will blow your mind, beautiful girls everywhere.

I would recommend anyone in Bangkok to avoid Soi Coybow, it's a horrible, trashy as fuck street with neon lights, sex tourists and whores. A local girl took me there thinking I would like it, wasn't interested at all. Would much rather go to some places where you can meet some 'normal' girls and avoid the sex tourists and whores. Did the whole shoring a pro thing a few times in places like Climax and Spicy but they always try and get something out of you for obvious reasons.

Found the RCA night life area was a decent place to find regular girls, no pro's around really and not so many farangs either. These girls are harder to approach as they tend to be in mixed groups and sit around their tables or dance in circles but it can be done.

Quote:Quote:

There are cases when it makes sense to go through this hassle - for example, if you have long-term plans for the girl - but otherwise just be a man, and pay for it. Or bang tourists.

Or find some nice, middle class, well educated local girls. They are out there, everyone is not a pro. These girls tend to have nice apartments, cars, good jobs etc. Been with estate agents, surgeons, local television presenter etc.

Bangkok Data Sheet

Quote: (03-19-2011 12:01 PM)Gringo Wrote:  

Or find some nice, middle class, well educated local girls. They are out there, everyone is not a pro. These girls tend to have nice apartments, cars, good jobs etc. Been with estate agents, surgeons, local television presenter etc.

Sure, but what is your chance if you do not speak Thai AND live there? From what I personally know - and so far everyone confirmed that - nice, middle class, well educated Thai girls just do not mess up with foreigners. And why would they?

Bangkok Data Sheet

I don't speak Thai nor do I live there. You obviously just got to find the right girls, not all are against being with foreigners, a lot of them don't like Thai men because they are aggressive, drunks & cheat (their words not mine).

Bangkok Data Sheet

I lived n bkk for a short time and dated a middle class (at least) girl of the highest quality. Went back for a visit where I realized the cultural difference at least in this case was too great

But anyways, she told me she would ONLY go with a foreigner as Thai guys are serial dawgs. May not be the typical Thai girl but shows they r out there