rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Herpes - setting the facts straight

I was skimming through some of the more active old threads and ran across this one. I didn't want to resurrect the old thread, but there is so much misinformation there, I felt compelled to post. As guys who go out chasing tail, we should be armed with some knowledge of the risks. Credit to oldnemesis in that old thread - he gave some accurate facts.

Here are a whole bunch of herpes facts:
- HPV is not herpes. Herpes is HSV - herpes simplex virus

- Unlike HPV, HSV is for life. There is no cure and no vaccine (yet; and maybe never - it's a whole lot more profitable to keep people on antivirals than it is to sell a lot of one-time vaccines)

- HSV is part of the human herpes virus (HHV) family

- But don't be fooled by people who tell you that chickenpox is 'herpes', and thus everyone has herpes. Chickenpox is caused by VZV, another HHV, and yes, pretty much everyone has VZV (like HSV, it never goes away, and if it reactivates, it's called shingles). When people say 'herpes', they are referring to herpes simplex.

- There are 2 types of HSV - HSV1 and HSV2.

- Either type can infect the oral or genital area. And yes, transmission can occur via oral sex.

- Cold sores (oral herpes) are usually caused by HSV1 (most infected persons got it when they were little kids, from parents or other relatives kissing them), but oral HSV2 infection can happen.

- It used to be that genital herpes was almost always caused by HSV2. This is not the case anymore. Lots of new genital herpes cases are caused by HSV1 (typically, the person gets it from receptive oral sex).

- Condoms are no guarantee against herpes because it is a skin to skin infection. As someone pointed out in the old thread, men and women shaving their genital area is a bad idea because it creates more skin to skin friction. Evolution put hair there for a reason.

- The best data on condom effectiveness against HSV transmission indicates that the risk reduction is only 30%. Yes, you're reading that correctly - it reduces the risk of transmission by a mere 30%. Compare that to fluid-borne STDs, where condoms reduce risk by >99%.

- Asymptomatic viral shedding is not a mere guess, as was alleged in that old thread. We know it happens because we can pick up virus off intact (non-outbreak) skin. There are lots of shedding studies out there.

- We know how prevalent herpes is b/c there are studies that blood test for HSV antibodies.

- Here's the data from a study published in JAMA in 2006 (I'll post the link if anyone wants to see it). This is US data:

- Overall HSV2 infection rate is 17% (this is for people aged 14-49, the rate goes up for each older age bracket, so for 40-49, it's 26%).

- For males, it is 11% (again, males aged 14-49).

- For females, it is 23%. And remember this is HSV2 only. Most HSV2 is genital. There is a lot of HSV1 that is genital. So the overall rate of genital herpes (genital HSV1 + genital HSV2) amongst women is higher than 23%.

- For whites (male and female): 13%. White females: 19%. For blacks (male and female): 42%. Black females: 46%

- Most of the people with genital herpes are unaware they have it. I've seen different estimates for this, but it's usually 80-90%. So for all the people who have genital herpes, only 10-20% know they have it.

- The biggest behavioral risk factor for genital herpes is . . . number of sex partners. So guess which guys are at the highest risk? You got it - players - natural or self-made. Sucks, but it is what it is. Now that you know, you can take steps to protect yourself.

- A couple of posters in the old thread mentioned that the women they knew with genital herpes were pretty attractive. This doesn't surprise me in the least. The hottest chicks go for the most alpha guys. And the alpha guys (race-adjusted), should be most likely to have herpes. Google 'Derek Jeter herpes tree'.

- OK, on to HSV1:

- Overall HSV1 infection rate (people aged 14-49): 58%

- Males: 56%. Females: 60%.

- Whites: 50%. Blacks: 68%.

- Back to viral shedding. So this happens in two ways – one is the classic outbreak. Lots of virus there. So sex is a bad idea if you or your partner has an outbreak. Problem for the pussy sleuths is that most outbreaks are not of the medical textbook horrorshow variety. And if it was a really, really bad outbreak, she wouldn’t be having sex with you anyway because her vag would be in too much pain. The other way shedding happens is asymptomatically – i.e., virus is being shed through unbroken skin. So there’s no way you’re going to detect this unless you have a lab in your home. And the infection can be spread via this asymptomatic viral shedding.

- It’s not all bad news. The reason most people with genital herpes don’t know they have it is because they don’t get outbreaks or only get very minor outbreaks that are easily mistaken for other things, like ingrowns or razor burns or cuts. And while infection can occur during asymptomatic shedding, infected persons are not always shedding. High levels of asymptomatic shedding happen during a small percentage of days. And the odds of getting herpes even from an infected partner are fairly low on a per sex act basis (I’d have to look this up to recall accurate figures) – the problem is you never know when your number will come up.

- Someone made a point in the old thread about herpes being overhyped because if it was so widespread, many more women would be having c-section deliveries. The baby typically only gets infected if the mother is having an internal outbreak that the baby would come in contact with during delivery. So there is no inconsistency between the HSV prevalence data and the relatively low number of c-sections. And by the way, if they know the mother has herpes, they will usually put her on antivirals during the last several weeks of pregnancy. It’s really no big deal, which is why there are so few cases of neonatal herpes.

- Another issue from the old thread. If someone knows he/she has herpes and infects someone else, is that actionable? Yes, it is. Ask Ron Mexico, aka Michael Vick.

- Testing: Most clinics and physicians won’t test you for herpes unless you show up with symptoms OR you specifically ask to get tested for it. Even saying ‘test me for everything doc!’ will NOT get you tested for HSV. Yeah, the system is that fucked up. If you want to get tested for it (and are not having any symptoms), ask for HSV type-specific IgG antibody testing (the older IgM test is nearly worthless). And make sure you see HSV1 and HSV2 listed on your lab results. If those buggers aren’t listed in the lab report, you didn’t get tested for it. Note - this is for the US. Outside the US, you may find it even harder to test for HSV.

- This is why when a girl tells me she is 'clean', it means nothing to me and doesn't change in the least the precautions I take. Even if she did get tested for STDs recently (unlikely), the odds that she knew enough to get tested for HSV are close to zero.

- Precautions. You can read the usual medical info on this (wear a condom, don’t have sex if you or your partner is having an outbreak, etc.). Here’s what I do: I trim, but never shave. I always always always wear a condom. I liberally apply lube to the areas that won’t be covered by the condom – base of penis, pubes, balls, inner thighs. The idea is to reduce friction. When taking her underwear off, I’ll try to get a whiff of the vag. If it stinks even a little, I won’t give oral (of course, smell doesn’t mean herpes, but it might mean something is happening down there, and I don’t want to take any chances, whether it’s an STD, a yeast infection or a mild non-STD bacterial infection). I try to visually inspect the vag before oral or penetration. If I see sores, I’ll get a blowjob and finish that way. And I always shower after sex. Of course, none of this is any guarantee, but there are no guarantees (short of total abstinence including no kissing or oral sex) and all you can do is try to reduce risk in ways that don’t take all the joy out of sex for you.

ON a positive note, I have a doctor in my family who loves my player lifestyle. He gives me regular checkups every 3 months w/o fail and a diet to make my immune system as strong as it can ever be.
Also, from travelling the world, I have had vaccinations for diseases I cannot even pronounce.

I have banged 100's of women in the last 10 years. Thankfully, I am still strong as an ox, and 100% disease free. So, it can be prevented, even as a full-time player. BTW, I also trim and never completely shave to the point of being smoother than a babies ass around the base of my penis. As long as you are neatly trimmed/groomed, girls will blow you.

Mixx

Quote: (02-27-2011 11:22 AM)MiXX Wrote:  

I have banged 100's of women in the last 10 years. Thankfully, I am still strong as an ox, and 100% disease free.
Mixx, I have a tremendous amount of respect for your game, but your statement that you are 100% disease free is most likely nothing but a guess. Unless you have specifically requested HSV testing (and seen HSV listed in your lab report), the odds that you have been tested for it are extremely low. I have been told by many women over the years that they are 100% clean. Not a single one of them has ever been HSV tested.

So, it can be prevented, even as a full-time player.
I don't think there is any highly reliable way of preventing herpes short of total abstinence. It's not like syphilis where condoms offer nearly sure-fire protection. But if you have a set of precautions that entails steps different from the ones I've mentioned, I'd love to hear it.

BTW, I also trim and never completely shave to the point of being smoother than a babies ass around the base of my penis. As long as you are neatly trimmed/groomed, girls will blow you.
+1. Even when I sported a pretty full bush, I don't recall a woman ever declining to blow me once I whipped it out. But yeah, neatly groomed isn't going to stop a girl from playing the skin flute.

Yeah youre right. I'm 99.99999% disease free. <grin> hehe, I know what you mean. You know a lot about this stuff. Are you an MD? there are a few on this forum. Great post, it wakes me up to never be careless about casual sex.

Mixx

Quote: (02-27-2011 02:51 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Yeah youre right. I'm 99.99999% disease free. <grin> hehe, I know what you mean. You know a lot about this stuff. Are you an MD? there are a few on this forum. Great post, it wakes me up to never be careless about casual sex.
No, I"m not an MD. But I have read up a lot on this stuff when I started working on my game. Even your typical general practitioners and internists are pretty clueless about herpes (not an indictment of the profession, just a reality when a GP has to be familiar with a wide range of medical issues, he/she simply doesn't have the bandwidth to drill deeply on one condition) and most wouldn't be familiar with all the facts I listed above. Some of them still order IgM tests for their patients, which is ridiculous considering how long the far superior IgG tests have been commercially available.

And thanks for not taking my prior comment defensively. That highlights one of the big differences between men and women. A man can take a comment objectively, while a woman would perceive the same comment as an attack. When I told women the same thing (i.e., that they most likely have never tested for HSV), most insisted that they were tested (not that they ever looked at the lab reports themselves, they just heard the doc say 'you're all clear') and lashed out at me.

Good information man, I must admitt it's very scary though specially because it can be passed without even having sex. I always shave completely, I think it looks better. But after reading I guess trimming would be a better idea.

They should invent a herpes condom. It'll look like a latex funnel that that fans out and protects your groin.

Quote: (02-27-2011 04:56 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

They should invent a herpes condom. It'll look like a latex funnel that that fans out and protects your groin.

hahaha Like a sock.

I know this might be considered an invasion of privacy, but when I go to a chicks house and use the bathroom, I open the medicine cabnent and drawers to see what meds she's on. A couple times I've seen a valtrex bottle in there and of course, you always see the anti depressant meds so you know she's insane.

Anyway, I have no problem with looking because it's my health, so fuck it.

Nice post....clip to evernote....now what's the legal ramifications of knowing you have the crotchet sores but still don't give a fuck...I have ran into so many men and women are just plain nasty and don't give a fuck about having it and infecting other ppl.........ala Michael Vick/Sandy Alomar

Quote: (02-27-2011 04:30 PM)FretDancer Wrote:  

Good information man, I must admitt it's very scary
You want scary? Be glad you're not gay. Plenty of gay guys have anal herpes. Can you imagine how fucking awful it must be to get sores there? And generally speaking, MSM (men who have sex with men - a term that includes gay and bisexual men), have HSV2 infection rates of ~50%. Which is why I tend to avoid girls who've banged bisexual men.

Oh, girls can get anal herpes too. Brutal.

Yep, that's pretty much what you'd need. Or bang her with your boxers or boxer briefs on and wear a condom.

Quote: (02-27-2011 06:49 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

I know this might be considered an invasion of privacy, but when I go to a chicks house and use the bathroom, I open the medicine cabnent and drawers to see what meds she's on. A couple times I've seen a valtrex bottle in there and of course, you always see the anti depressant meds so you know she's insane.
LOL. I don't think I know any women who don't have a psychologist. And I'm sure most single women over 25 are on some kind of psychoactive medication.

As for the valtrex bottle, the reality is that a woman who knows she has herpes and is on antivirals poses a lower risk to you than a woman who doesn't know she has it (and therefore takes no precautions). In fact, given the high prevalence of herpes, you could make the argument that a woman on valtrex poses a lower risk than a woman of unknown status.

some clarification: hsv 2 rarely affects the mouth.

while the reduction from rubbers isn't the greatest..it is good to know what the actual baseline risk is.

In couples that are discordant (one has genital herpes, other does not)....the rate of transmission after Fn for one year without rubbers (so you could guess 3X/week X 52 = 150 or around there) is ...

5 % (1/20) (from around 150 acts of RUBBERLESS sex)

...meaning the chance per act is very very low....like hitting the jackpot

which is why Sir Mixx can put up Guiness book of world record type figures and likely correct on being free of anything. and if there are no outbreaks...there really is no point in bloodwork. for what?

mind you , having said all that and knowing the low risk, getting hsv-2 scares the shit out of me. try bringing that up if youre lucky enough to meet someone you'd like more that a ONS with>

Quote: (02-27-2011 11:17 PM)bigxxx Wrote:  

some clarification: hsv 2 rarely affects the mouth.
Yeah, I think I said it's possible, but you're right, it's rare. But it does happen. May not be so rare in the future given that oral HSV1 rates are declining, but that's just speculation on my part.

Quote: (02-27-2011 11:17 PM)bigxxx Wrote:  

while the reduction from rubbers isn't the greatest..it is good to know what the actual baseline risk is.

In couples that are discordant (one has genital herpes, other does not)....the rate of transmission after Fn for one year without rubbers (so you could guess 3X/week X 52 = 150 or around there) is ...

5 % (1/20) (from around 150 acts of RUBBERLESS sex)

...meaning the chance per act is very very low....like hitting the jackpot
I'm guessing you're getting this from the valtrex study? If so, I don't think the 'average' couple was having sex 3x/week - closer to 2x/week if memory serves (but I also think they were fuzzy on that; but I could be wrong, would have to look it up, I have that study somewhere on my computer). But yes, the per act risk is low in this particular situation. The rather massive caveat here is this risk figure is only relevant to couples that are already together and now we're measuring the risk of transmission over the next year.

IMHO, that is very different for the risk of a new couple, having sex for the first time or the first handful of times. I believe the transmission risk is highly nonlinear. Unfortunately there isn't good data on this, but there is reason to believe that transmission risk is nonlinear. I could get into this if anyone is interested. But the bottom line is that I suspect the per act risk for a ONS (or short fling) with a HSV+ partner is low, but considerably higher than the very low per act risk for existing discordant couples (keep in mind that a multiple of a very small number (<<1), is still a very small number). Basically, in a relationship with someone who is HSV+, the risk of transmission is greatest early in the sexual relationship, which is directly relevant to guys on this forum.

I just want to tell the people that you are not alone even when you have an STD! There are so many people who have the same situation as you.

Also, there are many online communities for you to find support and dating! I recommend you to read the STD inspirational stories on the largest STD support and dating site STDslove. com. Hope that you find the stories helpful and informative.

How often does everyone here get checked out? I'm pretty sure the times I've been tested were just for hiv, gonorhea, and chlemedia (I know I spelled them wrong). I want them to test me for EVERYTHING next time I go. I guess you have to request it and pay more.

Quote: (02-28-2011 02:41 AM)houston Wrote:  

How often does everyone here get checked out? I'm pretty sure the times I've been tested were just for hiv, gonorhea, and chlemedia (I know I spelled them wrong). I want them to test me for EVERYTHING next time I go. I guess you have to request it and pay more.
I get tested every year. You probably also got tested for syphilis; that's the standard 4 that get tested for by most clinics.

First, you have to find a clinic that will antibody test for HSV (not all will, some will only test if you have symptoms). You could also ask to get tested for hepatitis, but that's very low risk for straight guys who aren't using IV drugs.

I'd say one must test for HIV and syphilis. Those are infections which may go without obvious symptoms for a while, wasting the time to cure it completely (syphilis) or taking the suppressant medicine (HIV). They're also both typically require blood sample.

As for gonorrhea and chlamydias, if you have no symptoms like discharge from your dick, urinating pain/discomfort and so on, it is very unlikely you have one. Those are done by taking a sample from inside the urethra.

HSV test is typically useless, because there is nothing you can really do if the test is positive. There is no cure or suppressant therapy, only symptomatic (acyclovir-based), and for this one you typically don't need tests.

Hep B test should be useless for any responsible mofo - there is a fucking Hep A/B vaccine! If you haven't got vaccinated yet, don't be a moron and do it now. The world has enough crappy (and even deadly) stuff which you cannot get vaccinated against, so give your liver a favor and get a shot.

And when you go vaccinated, get your TDap boost if it is time (ask your doctor first). Tetanus is very ugly shit, which is much, much worse than HIV (mortality rate around the world is still around 50%), and it is not that difficult to get it.

chainring: why are you so paranoid about STDs, enough to read extensively about it even for gay men? It seems a bit excessive, and honestly, borderline trollish.

I say this because there have been female trolls here in the past going on about STDs.

Quote: (02-27-2011 09:20 PM)chainring Wrote:  

Yep, that's pretty much what you'd need. Or bang her with your boxers or boxer briefs on and wear a condom.

They should invent a latex spray where you spray your groin and pubic area and balls so that you diminish the risk of herpes.

Maybe we should get Roosh to sell it on his website - "Spray Cock"

Actually I went through a few of your posts in other threads and am now pretty sure you are indeed a woman. Some examples:

Quote:Quote:

I had a one night stand recently, and gave this girl a great fucking. It was a little rough, and bruises were left, but she loved it.

Sure that happened. The only way to leave a girl multiple bruises during sex is to batter her.

Any advice on quickly figuring out if she is DTF? That way I don't waste an hour on a girl who is giving me IOIs and then make my move and find out she likes me, but isn't DTF now or in the near future.

Overuse of acronyms to make it seem like you're "in" the community, though guys here don't use acronyms.

Women are definitely an area where the only thing you have to fear is fear itself*. It's funny, guys will launch themselves down the side of a mountain, or jump out of a perfectly good airplane, or play tackle football without pads. But many of these same risk-loving guys won't talk to the cute girl in the bar or escalate with the girl they're talking to.

Did you get this from Cosmo? [Image: lol.gif]

But might be worth it for a guy who's got a fuckbuddy and wants to check out the scene and tap a couple of asses.

So fake. Uses the word "tap" constantly. I think that was big in the 90's.

Other posts have the corniest use of slang and acryonyms.

Definite troll. Guys: try not to be so gullible with the new members. [Image: smile.gif]

- Precautions. You can read the usual medical info on this (wear a condom, don’t have sex if you or your partner is having an outbreak, etc.). Here’s what I do: I trim, but never shave. I always always always wear a condom. I liberally apply lube to the areas that won’t be covered by the condom – base of penis, pubes, balls, inner thighs. The idea is to reduce friction. When taking her underwear off, I’ll try to get a whiff of the vag. If it stinks even a little, I won’t give oral (of course, smell doesn’t mean herpes, but it might mean something is happening down there, and I don’t want to take any chances, whether it’s an STD, a yeast infection or a mild non-STD bacterial infection). I try to visually inspect the vag before oral or penetration. If I see sores, I’ll get a blowjob and finish that way. And I always shower after sex. Of course, none of this is any guarantee, but there are no guarantees (short of total abstinence including no kissing or oral sex) and all you can do is try to reduce risk in ways that don’t take all the joy out of sex for you.
a) there is a bacterial infection called trichomonisis that gives girls a funky fishy pussy smell - it's fairly common - I'm fairly certain I've encountered it in 3-4 girls over the years -
b) does rubbing lube actually do anything?
c) what about your balls - you guys aren't shaving your balls? I generally find that girls want the balls to be totally clean but now I'm thinking that leaves me vulnerable

don't shave anything, just trim it. you don't want to have micro lesions.

something else noteworthy wrt herps

If you get genital herps from a bj (hsv 1)...this is often markee by 1 initial (if it all) outbreak, no to few recurrences and interestingly does not transmit to a women's vagina very well (which is often big part of the concern in having herps)

as for hsv-2 on the dick, hard to put put a positive spin on that one. frequent recurrences etc>>

I think I probably speak for most here but the topic of stds probably isn't something that people want to be reading about. If they did they would be searching online for doctors advice on it.