rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Frat not allowed to have Hawaiian themed party because it's racist

Quote:Quote:

Partygoers showing up at the Anteater Recreation Center to be shuttled off to the party venue were seen wearing grass skirts, leis and aloha shirts. This struck a nerve with some students, a few of whom were at the shuttle site holding a sign proclaiming “this is not Fiji, this is racist.”

More than 100 students attended a meeting last week to voice concerns to the student government, with critics saying the party involved cultural appropriation.

[...]

The student legislative body voted that the fraternity must change the name of the event, stop using the “Fiji” nickname and discontinue the use of the islander theme.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/party...dents.html

Yet another reason on the growing list of why not to go to college.

If they are going to play that game, then they should also legislate that white kids can't act like black kids or listen to hip hop and talk with a ghetto patois.

Also, black kids would not be allowed to play any kind of white ethnic music.

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NsC7oEjCHAM[/youtube]

People just want an excuse to yell racism. That way, I am racist for wearing Western attire. After all, I'm Indian and wearing Western attire is racist to the people of Western Europe and North America.

Disagree. There will always be progressives who couldn't get into fraternities and sororities. They are jealous and will try to screw up everyone else's fun. Isn't that what ugly feminists are doing?

Bluto would never take this shit

[Image: 97509-John-Belushi-TOGA-gif-Animal-H-59dc.gif]

Also they might as well outlaw Halloween while they are at it.

This is going to come back and bite them in asses because a lot of gay/tranny culture uses ironic or kitschy cultural appropriation as well.

Aside from taking antidepressants what do feminists do for fun? If they don't want to have sex because it's too much like rape.. Are they going to just sit around being mad at the world?

Apparently they're not being penalized, banned or forced to stop the party. They can pressure University Officials, but I doubt this will have an impact, since many chapters across the nation hold the Fiji Islander party.

I still remember a Polynesian parent at my school going up to a kid wearing a Fiji shirt. He asked him if he had ever been to Fiji and the kid replied that it was their Fraternity's nickname. The parent was flattered that a fraternity would nickname itself after his home country. That's the real America, where people come together to make connections through even the most trivial things. Not where progressive Asians try to get a frat kicked off campus.

http://www.dailypilot.com/news/tn-dpt-me...0255.story

The student government legislation strongly suggests that Phi Gamma Delta change its longstanding nickname — FIJI — and abstain from hosting its annual FIJI Islander party in the coming years, Chen said.

However, student government leaders are unable to force the fraternity to adhere to any of their requests, according to UCI policy. Only university officials can place sanctions on the fraternity.

"Maybe we can't change their name, but we can create enough public pressure to make them follow current policies," Chen said.

"Current Policies" can be interpreted as anything, even banning white people because their race is "culturally insensitive". By those standards, Chen should be expelled for "disproportionately targeting rich white kids". Its only a matter of time before the progressives start witch-hunting their own, leaving only a fat transgender person of color with mental and physical disabilities eligible to be President.

Very poorly reported piece by the OC Register reporter. Did not get the facts right.

Since I've done university freedom of expression legal work, I was wondering how student government could ban a fraternity event, since most fraternities are independent corporations from the university and are in off-campus property that they own.

Plus, it's a state school, so the First Amendment is operative, and the party is clearly expressive activity covered by the First Amendment.

The resolution by the student government is hortatory, not binding: they "strongly urge" the frat not to hold the event in the future and to apologize.

http://www.asuci.uci.edu/legislative/leg...anch=ASUCI

I was wondering who the clowns who endorsed this silliness were.
One abstained, anyways.

http://www.asuci.uci.edu/legislativebran...entatives/

[Image: lauren.jpg]
Lauren Hineman
Council Speaker
[email protected]
Office Hours: Tuesday 12:30-1:30 at the Pub

[Image: Untitled-221x300.png]

Grecia Cruz
Arts Represenative
[email protected]

Naaila Mohammed
At-Large Representative
[email protected]
Office Hours: Mondays, 11am – 12pm at the CCC

Matthew Tsai
At-Large Representative
[email protected]
Office Hours: Wednesday 11am-12pm at Phoenix Grille

David Hollingsworth
At-Large Representative
[email protected]
Office Hours: Wednesdays 2-3pm at the ASUCI office

[Image: oliverdabalos-300x200.jpg]
Oliver Dabalos
At-Large Representative
[email protected]
Office Hours: Thursday 12-1pm at the tables in front of the ASUCI Office

Rame Bashir
Biological Sciences Representative
[email protected]

Cyrus Lin
Biological Sciences Representative
[email protected]

Robert Dunn
Engineering Represenative
[email protected]

Maryam Farooqui
Health Sciences
[email protected]

Khaalidah Sideny
Humanities Representative
[email protected]
Office Hours: Thursday 12pm – 1pm at the CCC

[Image: Patrick-Chen-Profile.jpg]
Patrick Chen
ICS Represenatitive
[email protected]
Office Hours: Wednesdays 11am – 12pm at the CCC, Room 109

[Image: adrienne.jpg]

Adrienne Credo
Social Ecology Representative
[email protected]
Office Hours: Tuesday 12:30-1:30 at the Pub

[Image: gabriel.jpg]

Gabriel Sanchez
Social Sciences Representative
[email protected]

Negin Fatahi
Social Sciences Representative
[email protected]

Alexander Fung
Business School Representative
[email protected]

That blond- WBx1000suns

WB Blonde also. This Chen kid looks ugly as hell. No wonder he's targeting a frat. Poor kid can't get laid so he targets people who can. Feels like I'm having a faint sense of déjà vu.

"Until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words,— 'Wait and hope'."- Alexander Dumas, "The Count of Monte Cristo"

Fashion/Style Lounge

Social Circle Game

Team Skinny Girls with Pretty Faces
King of Sockpuppets

Sockpuppet List

Quote: (05-31-2014 07:38 AM)Hotwheels Wrote:  

Bluto would never take this shit

[Image: 97509-John-Belushi-TOGA-gif-Animal-H-59dc.gif]

Toga parties are...anti-Italic, anti-Latin, and anti-Mediterranean racism.

“this is not Fiji, this is racist.”

Someone should have responded with "Racism? THIS IS SPARTAAAAAA!"

[Image: this-is-sparta-o.gif]

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

This is a good comment. It reminds me of the kind of argument I make to busy bodies, who go after the people around them, instead of trying to fight the real problem.

[Image: attachment.jpg18979]   

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

It would be really funny if frats across the country held tiki parties at the same time as a rebuttal to this.

It's surprising how much license people wish to have over the actions of others these days. Wearing a grass skirt and calling yourself Hawaiian isn't illegal.

Sounds like a bunch of children at UC Irvine decided that they wanted to play legislator. Meanwhile all the social chairs from the fraternities on campus must be wondering what the hell is wrong with people.

I wonder if the council thinks the Beach Boys were exploiting islanders by profiting from their song, "Hawaii."

Tiki on, friends. Tiki on.

The blonde is a member if a sorority which recently threw a 90's theme party. I'm guessing that party appropriates large portions of urban black culture of that decade.

People are REALLY bad at hiding personal information from the public. Especially narcissistic people.

This is shit, we are quickly moving in a direction where we can't do anything unless it is on a predetermined safe list. All freedom and creativity is being sacrificed in the name of political correctness.

Quote: (05-31-2014 07:36 AM)xpatplayer Wrote:  

People just want an excuse to yell racism. That way, I am racist for wearing Western attire. After all, I'm Indian and wearing Western attire is racist to the people of Western Europe and North America.

Yes, but "racism" is just a code word for anti-white in the West circa 2014. For progressive academics (redundant) it's literally impossible for non-whites to be racist. Mostly, racism is a tool for liberal whites to jockey for status with one another. People of other races are mostly just pawns in their who-can-be-holier (less racist) than the next guy games.

Quote: (05-31-2014 07:34 AM)soup Wrote:  

If they are going to play that game, then they should also legislate that white kids can't act like black kids or listen to hip hop and talk with a ghetto patois.

Also, black kids would not be allowed to play any kind of white ethnic music.

African music scales use a 5 note pentatonic scale. The use of the now-standard 12 note chromatic scale was popularised by White Europeans like Richard Wagner. Since they both generally use the Chromatic Scale, both Rap and Rock and Roll are Cultural Appropriation, particularly as the later was a combination of Black Blues with the White Hillbilly music of European Immigrants into Appalachia.

You could try and explain it to them, but they have been trained to not think it's possible for it to happen in reverse, even if you point this out to them.

Did no one notice the Latina below the blonde?! WB her before the blonde actually and harder.

Quote: (05-31-2014 05:50 PM)Cobra Wrote:  

Did no one notice the Latina below the blonde?! WB her before the blonde actually and harder.

Grecia Cruz? .. nah, the blond is prettier and she has a good body.

I'd just bang both at the same time.

Join their association and talk them into being all "poly" or whatever with drinks and threesome.

And I would get them to dress in tiki clothes for it.