rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tutoring Business Breakdown

Alright, so as I've mentioned before, I've been in the tutoring business for quite sometime. This was really my first business adventure and I wanted to give out my two cents to anyone who is interested in kick-starting this adventure. You have to like people, know your product and really become a well-articulated person to explain things correctly.

First of all, the first thing you have to do is have the skills and the material to know what you're teaching. This is of utmost importance. As experience serves me well, I've noticed that most people need help with math. Economics and languages are an important second. These were the most requested during the 3 years I've been doing this. There are clients that find there's nothing more frustrating than for their tutor to start learning right along their side. You have to at least be more advanced than them in the subject.

There are two kinds of tutoring services you can do to your business, freelance and entrepreneur

1) First, set up a website, it could be a wordpress, and begin a portfolio both online and in paper. Make it professional looking and keep it simple. Think Steve Jobs minimalism. Now, most people will not find the website unless you do some SEO (search engine optimization). The safest bet is to get someone to do it for you or at least you pick up a book and learn yourself some SEO..

-Ideally you want to have an About me section, mission statement, contact page and recommendations. Recommendations is a huge part of your business, some people ask for them and it's best to have them. Recommendations can be from the professors you had or your employees had.

-Now, the best way to start creating your reputation is start tutoring in niches such as private schools for kids that need help with their SAT's, ACT's and ASVAD tests, these are small niches that have competitive catty moms that love to gossip (remember, women tell each other everything) and give you a word of mouth you need.

2) Long-term clients are way better than pump and dumps and the way to do this is to sell packets of tutoring hours. 10 hours or 20 hours at the same time. What you do with this is save yourself some heartache for flaky costumers who only hire you by the hour. Call it a filtering and screening tool.

- You have some stability that allows you to operate better with your time, because there's nothing like having great clients who take their time and your time serious. You can even set it up in a way that if they flake, you still get paid, and you substract some of their hours from the packet they bought.

-The key here is to know who you're selling to. As much as I would have liked, tutoring college students is a nightmare because they're flakier than a drunk freshman, specially when they wanted to hire by the hour. However, when I've started targeting the packets that my business was selling to veterans of the army, people who wanted to get back to school and were serious about it. These were by far my best clients, when you give them this kind of commitment, they will take it seriously. This also works because they get paid everything by the government if they go back to school, like tuition, books and tutoring.

The best clients I've had were:

- Veterans.
- Kids who are still in middle school (their mom still cares for their education).
- Kids in Private schools.
- People who want to get in the Army

Exceptions for pump and dumps:
Smaller packets for end of the year finals like 5 hour packets work for those who really want to pass the school finals. Usually since they’ll like you, they’ll keep hiring you.

3) Know your staff:

-This doesn’t apply to most freelance, but a good way to make money is having different clients buy packets of 30 hours, charge them 35 per hour and pay your employee 20 an hour. This allows your employees to drive happily to the client's destination, give them a great service and fill a report so you pay them by the hour once they’re complete.

-You also pay them every two week or weekly and let it be in whatever way you think is more convenient for you. The best workers are other tutors who work in craigslist. You give them what they usually get, so there are no complaints from their part and you get to reap the rewards for minimum effort.

-You can even advertise how we do background checks of all our employees and we screen them. Build a small team, usually no more than 5 and send them to do your dirty work.

4) Get involved in sponsoring for Veteran and private schools

-This way people know the kind of service you’re offering. Now, veteran sponsoring are best because it’s a much under-served niche in terms of tutoring. Look for the going back to school mom scholarships that are offered to a couple of moms, and tell them that they’ll get a good price doing this. Get creative, all types of people go to school

5) Reputation:

-You need a solid reputation in the private school niche. The key is that there are many expensive tutoring services, but if you get a kid in Ivy League, offer it in a cheaper way, people will drop their Sylluvan or College-board bullshit services. Hint Everybody hates their tutoring service for being brutally expensive and mechanically boring method. You offer it cheaper with a super good reputation, but with a screening mentality (as in the kid has to behave) they will beat down your door.

6) Advertise
Now there are many ways to advertise. The best one is google, SEO and craigslist. Craigslist has many scammers though, so only accept clients who call. Make sure they call or you call them. The Craigslist scammers will text but never call. Sponsoring and working with veteran groups should give you an advantage over other people and if you can network and find someone who sends you people straight to you on the regular, offer them a cut for every person they send you. You will make clients and it will skyrocket your business.

7) Develop plans of study for clients

Involve creative and innovative ways to teach. The best way to do this is to personalize the tutoring session with what the clients needs. Most people will learn visually, so the best way (in my opinion) is to show them graphically how they can learn. Examples and drills. Now, no one will learn just by watching so have them do drills and make sure they so, otherwise they'll blame you for them not learning. Give them small, but concentrated homework. Kids hate homework, but if it's one or two questions that are hard enough, and you tell them to do it as soon as possible (maybe leave 15 minutes so they get started on it, highly recommended), they'll do it.

8) Most clients will want to meet in their house. If you're a free-lancer, avoid this like the plague and have them meet you at a place near you. You hire people, it doesn't really matter, whatever it's most convenient for them. They're the one doing the tutoring anywhere.

9) When working with children, you want to have an adult supervising you. Just so you or your employees are safe.

10) Have your employees sign an independent contractor so relive from heartache in case they mess up, relieve you from legal problems.

There's so much more to learn that I could spend days writing this, but this should get you started, you will find this info nowhere and the best way to learn about business is by doing, not reading, so if you're interested in this, it is very rewarding.

Enjoy

-Simon

Life is good

^ This man speaks the truth. I actually work for a tutoring firm, and have done so for nearly two years. If the students like you, then you'll have an easy time keeping them around. I have 15+ hours worth of students even when most kids are going away on breaks.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Truly great post simon. +1 for the excellent breakdown.

Also in tutoring, currently have 22 students. totally freelance. will keep my eyes on this thread

btw $35 an hour seems way too low, especially when you said you drive to them.

I would aim for $50 an hour and offer a discount only if they book 12 sessions. I charge $500 for 12 sessions.

Quote: (05-27-2014 03:57 PM)2014 Wrote:  

btw $35 an hour seems way too low, especially when you said you drive to them.

I would aim for $50 an hour and offer a discount only if they book 12 sessions. I charge $500 for 12 sessions.

I mean, if you're starting out and have little reputation, $35 is enough. Now, if you have a reputation, $50 sounds about right. When I began figuring everything out, I began with $17.50, which in retrospective seemed way too low, but at the moment it was mind-blowing compared to what some of my friends got from working retail. Good observation though, 2014.

Life is good

What to do with your competition and having other tutors steal your clients from you when your packet hours run out?

First, You gotta be ruthless. It all depends on your reputation, on how good of a job you do and the results they get. Now, your reputation is the most important thing, especially in private schools, so be very wary of you hire. Test them all the time, ask for recommendations, be picky!

Second, usually people will stick with whom they like, so you gotta visit them, see how they've liked the service and offer them another packet. Now, if they want to pay for them, great, if not, tell them to spread the word for you. Use charm so they go out of their way to recommend you. Remember, women (moms and milfs) gossip and they'll recommend you and pick you over other providers.

Third, make sure you have a couple of extraordinary client success stories. This is like your guarantee. This is your edge over Sylluvan, and other services, because you're not a faceless corporation, you're a small business person who cares for their success.

Fourth, have instant gratification achievements progress. Every week or so, have them do problems that show how much you've gotten their kid to improve, so the parents and the kid themselves feel rewarded for their hard work and hard-earned cash. This way they see and feel that their investment is rapid-growth and prosperous.

Enjoy

Life is good

11) Get paid a week in advance.

Sometimes you'll run up against those idiots who are 'too busy' to pay you for a couple weeks at a time. Also if someone skips a lesson, it doesn't matter to you, you already have the money. In Mexico I had so many people skip my lessons and then show up late (more than 1 hour) with some excuse because they didn't have anything to lose, I had to implement a policy to keep from getting extremely frustrated and annoyed. Pay in advance and everyone is happy.

12) Be extremely assertive and make sure people know your boundaries.

Don't be a pushover or people will try and give you crap deals and stupid excuses. People respect those who respect themselves.

2014, what is it you tutor?

Quote: (05-28-2014 05:29 PM)BadWolf Wrote:  

11) Get paid a week in advance.

Sometimes you'll run up against those idiots who are 'too busy' to pay you for a couple weeks at a time. Also if someone skips a lesson, it doesn't matter to you, you already have the money. In Mexico I had so many people skip my lessons and then show up late (more than 1 hour) with some excuse because they didn't have anything to lose, I had to implement a policy to keep from getting extremely frustrated and annoyed. Pay in advance and everyone is happy.

12) Be extremely assertive and make sure people know your boundaries.

Don't be a pushover or people will try and give you crap deals and stupid excuses. People respect those who respect themselves.

2014, what is it you tutor?

#11 is already solved because I sell them 20 hours in advance. If they show up late (like disrespectfully late without notice) I don't show up and I take away one of their hours. Usually people are most respectful of their time and my time this way.

#12 You should be like this in business and life all the time. Being respectful and being a pushover are completely different.

Life is good

Hey Simondice why don't you start a Math Tutoring business... everyone has problems with Math and could probably use your help. If you know engineering math, that, I think would be very valuable to college students.

Quote: (05-29-2014 09:48 PM)BadWolf Wrote:  

Hey Simondice why don't you start a Math Tutoring business... everyone has problems with Math and could probably use your help. If you know engineering math, that, I think would be very valuable to college students.

Badwolf, I have that already haha this is my current business model. Contrary to what you said though, College Students are a nightmare to tutor for, they're always broke and would rather spend their money in beer or weed than to pass their classes.

Life is good

I've been thinking of getting into freelance math tutoring. It seems like it could be a good way to earn 100 bucks or so a week.

In your experience, what's the math that most people need tutoring on? Algebra? Geometry? Calculus?

Mostly Algebra- Calculus 1.

Life is good