rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"So what do you do for a living?"

Maverick Traveler in a recent post got me thinking about how often when you meet someone new the first question they ask is "so what do you do?" as if job title is the most important thing. For those of us who have multiple hustles, odd jobs that you have explain, or just don't like talking about work all the time, it can be a frustrating social experience.

I knew a guy who used to just answer the question "I give prostate massages. Rich older men mostly." He was a lawyer, but when women asked the question, he felt like it was just too much of a "dance monkey, dance" style question.

I used to ask the question "so what's your passion?" when I'd meet someone new, because I'm not really interesting in hearing a job title, but sharing excitement. I was amazed when I repeatedly got the deer-in-the-headlights look, and discovered most people don't really know what they're passionate about.

I'm curious how the guys here answer the question "what do you do for a living?" Do you give a straight answer or fuck with it a little bit? I'm also especially curious how those with odd jobs (blogger, dating coach, etc.) answer.

I'm looking for a better response as continually explaining my work gets tiresome and I just hate talking about work when I'm not working. When I'm not working I want to play and have fun, not qualify myself to strangers.

Also, is this a distinctly American thing to ask within five minutes of meeting someone?

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

I use the "what are you most passionate about" line and it never fails to stump them. Pathetic.

I never give a straight answer until it's clear they are getting worried about it.

Even then it's just a "I work full time and pay my taxes and bills, don't worry about it"

I love getting this question by people when I'm out at night. Gives me a real chance to have some fun.

Depending on the situation, vibe, playful energy going on...etc. some responses I have used:

"I do whatever I want to"
"Little of this, little of that"
"I train hamsters for magic shows"
"Professional time traveler...I'm from the future, I come to tell you that you will have best orgasm of your life tonight"
"I cure boredom"
"Adventurer"

These are just for having fun out at night. Wouldn't use them when in a more formal setting or daygaming.

And Americans (especially New Yorkers) love this fucking question.

It's a dead giveaway for who the status whores are.

Calvin Klein underwear model is usually good for a laugh. Say it in a dead pan fashion with a slight smirk.

He has often been called the "Last of the Romans"

"We have prostitutes for our pleasure, concubines for our health, and wives to bear us lawful offspring."--Demosthenes (384–322 BC), Red Pill Greek Statesman

Quote: (03-24-2014 06:32 PM)Flavius Aetius Wrote:  

Calvin Klein underwear model is usually good for a laugh. Say it in a dead pan fashion with a slight smirk.

lol, since my goal is to lose a few last lbs around my stomach, I am going to add "feel my abs" lol.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

"Well mostly...brunettes"

"The whole point of being alpha, is doing what the fuck you want.
That's why you see real life alphas without chicks. He's doing him.

Real alphas don't tend to have game. They don't tend to care about the emotional lives of the people around them."

-WIA

I usually give a straight answer. But then again I also love what I do and my field is pretty much respected universally, so I don't mind people asking.

When I feel like fucking with people I say I moonlight as a serial arsonist, then start flicking a lighter at random.

"Imports and exports."

I know the OP is a RoK contributor, so I'm not trying to be an ass, but hasn't this been covered in depth?

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-32711.html

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-31588.html

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-15320.html

Read My Old Blog - Subscribe To My Old Blog
Top Posts - Fake Rape? - Sex With A Tranny? - Rich MILF - What is a 9?

"Failure is just practice for success"

You can answer any open question with a flat "yeah." For when you want to dial up your dickishness to the maximum level.

I'm in latex

I give a straight answer when the situation lends itself to a straight answer, and I give a joke answer when the mood is light. So long as you aren't ashamed of what you do there is no reason not to give a straight answer.

It can tell you a lot about a person, similar to asking where they're from or what kind of music they're into. Being unnecessarily evasive can make you seem like just as much of a dick as the guy bragging about his finance job. I'll usually tell people what I really do, while making it sound much more interesting than it really is. Just like all my travel stories.

Last month I had a bitch ask how much money I make. Now THAT pissed me off.

Quote: (03-24-2014 10:22 PM)philly22 Wrote:  

I'm in latex

^^^^

Yes, he's my latex salesman at Vandalay Industries.

Study gold diggers

I typically dodge this question for a while. At some point it is often unavoidable. I don't do any social networking (never been on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or anything). I'm also not found on internet easily by name alone. But, at some point these bitches triangulate on my ass and then, if they do, it is usually on like Donkey Kong.

And yes, once in a while I'm guilty of just dropping what I do at some point. Works like the atom bomb. I have a good friend that runs mad tail (he does professional MMA) and I asked him if he thought that this was weak, but in his view "hey man, you worked hard for that card, if I had it I'd use it like crazy...". His reasoning was that it is no different than someone doing MMA professionally, we all work for the cards that we have...might as well play them. (I still try to be reserved).

I did play it flagrantly once though. I had this hot chick on her kitchen counter, got her shirt off while we were making out.

We took a slight break and during she asked me "what do you like to do when you aren't working?" I just said "Make Money". She literally just dropped to her knees and said "oh my god, that was a panty dropper...you are so fucking confident." After giving me a BJ I fucked her. I'd rate her in the top 3 or 4 for me of all time (not a short list). Incredible.

Afterward we had a short dialogue:

Her: So, I don't need to cook tomorrow?
Me: No, I'm going to be late. You will be in bed, probably watching TV, and then I'm going to show up and fuck you.
Me: Actually, you are going to tell me I can't fuck you and then I'm going to fuck you anyway.
Her: Your attitude is horrible!
Me: It only gets worse

I stood up, put on my Canali jacket...walked straight to the door without saying a fucking word and I just hear behind me "Goodnight Sexy Man!" as I slammed her door behind me.

Red Pill anyone?

"I'm a volunteer astronaut"

"I own 2 companies"

I usually tell the truth because it's a massive DHV anyway and it only helps me.

In the past I have flat out said "That's a boring question, ask me something more interesting" - if her interest is strong then it will go over well.

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold

I usually just say shit like:

I paint the faces on lego men.

I put those stickers on fruit.

I'm a professional hopscotch player.

The less fucks you give, the more fucks you get.

I'm an undercover police officer. What was that you were saying about drugs ?

"I rob banks."
"I'm a regional coordinator for Al'Qaeda."

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

garbage man

Team Nachos

Fuck bitches, get money

Seriously though, I usually make them guess just like when they ask what nationality I am.

They usually guess business or marketing which isn't far from the truth but I don't tell them straight up. It's such a boring question, might as well make it a game and get her to think about you.