rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Backpack for traveling

Backpack for traveling

I'm wondering what kind of backpacks you guys travel with.

To many people have those tacticool backpacks that have a million pockets.
Personally. With the way the world is going..I don't wanna carry anything that looks military and risk getting targeted or anything like that.

I want a backpack I can pretty much use as a suitcase. Big enough to carry a month summer load of clothes..but small enough to be a plane carry on.

Something that I can stuff a week or two worth of clothes..couple bottles of liquor and still have room to pick up shit up along the way if I wanted to take an extended trip.

The best thing i've found is a Kelty Redwing
[Image: 3AEaypDl.jpg][Image: cwMjdRWl.jpg]
But I wanna know y'all opinions, or what you use.

Does anyone have any suggestions

I am the cock carousel

Backpack for traveling

I haven't used it yet, but I just bought a Patagonia MLC.

http://www.ebags.com/product/patagonia/mlc/137745

Its set up for optimal spacing for any of your items.

Backpack for traveling

I'm one of those people who roll with a military bag. I haven't had a problem in any high risk area because of it but I can see why you would want to refrain from carrying one. I use a 33L Proforce olive green bag but something less military can be the plain black one (although it isn't really suitcase material). The bag is very durable and you can fit quit a few things in it. Very good thread idea.

http://images.esellerpro.com/2296/W/432/...live_1.jpg (one I use)

http://www.asmc.de/images/product_images...5983_0.jpg (recommended one)

Backpack for traveling

I'm very happy with this one:

[Image: TB0940_01b.jpg]
http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/TB0940.html

It's a bit pricy, but if you're kinda "minimalist" travaller, with only a single bag, then I would recommend Thumb

p.s. no, i'm not affiliated with them in any way...

Backpack for traveling

If you do a Google search, you will see that the MEI Voyageur has been the gold standard for suitcase/backpacks for several decades. It is the bag that other companies try to emulate. It has one large main compartment. It is maximum carry-on size. I would use it with Eagle Creek compression cubes.

Here are a few links:

http://onebagger.squarespace.com/blog/20...eview.html

http://www.meivoyageur.com/

One of the issues that people tend too overlook is that the typical backpack is not a good choice if you want maximum space in a carry-on bag. Only a rectangular bag provides the maximum space allowed by most airlines. Typical backpacks are inefficiently misshapen and therefore ill-suited to that task. You need a rectangular bag such as the Voyageur or the bags identified by Drazen and rhr.

Backpack for traveling

gf got that kelty. but if you look one labeled "for women" it will be about 70 not 110
I have these and love em http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3-d...pack1.html and this http://www.amazon.com/Every-Day-Carry-Ta...B00DVQFI8E

Backpack for traveling

Does anyone know of a bag with ample space that can fit under most airline seats? I like to put my carry on under the seat in front of me for those long 12 hour international flights so I can easily get to all of my things.

Backpack for traveling

Some of those bags are nice.. But have you used them for lots of walking.

The last bag I had was great..but I always tipping the bag at 22lbs or so ( the heaviest carry on weight)
Walking around town all day eventually got annoying as fuck when I was doing multi day trips.
Those square backpacks have room, but don't look like they have support

I am the cock carousel

Backpack for traveling

I had the Kelty RedWing 50L one and it was a pain in the ass trudging through Thailand with the humidity and such a big pack. Recently switched to the Osprey Momentum 34L one and it is much more manageable. It doesn't resemble any tactical ones or anything like that.

Man, it really just depends on how you like to travel too. I go for minimal and just buy shit on the ground if I need it instead of packing it and only possibly using it. Seems like the lighter you go, the easier it is to be fluid.

Backpack for traveling

Quote: (02-18-2014 07:06 PM)Sourcecode Wrote:  

Some of those bags are nice.. But have you used them for lots of walking.

The last bag I had was great..but I always tipping the bag at 22lbs or so ( the heaviest carry on weight)
Walking around town all day eventually got annoying as fuck when I was doing multi day trips.
Those square backpacks have room, but don't look like they have support

From the review that I posted:

Quote:Quote:

The Voyageur is a pack. Any pack carries stuff. A really good one puts the load on your back in such a way that the load seems much lighter than it really is. The Voyageur is a really good one. The very things that make the main compartment a pain for packing make this the most comfortably-carried travelpack available. The backpack straps are well-padded, but what really makes the pack work is the waist belt, the well-padded rigid internal stays, and thick lumbar padding. I tested a fully-packed Voyageur against two other convertible carryons and the Voyageur was much better at carrying the load comfortably. If you’re a backpacker and you don’t want to check a larger external frame pack the Voyageur is the clear choice. I’m guessing you could carry it all day and be quite satisfied.

Backpack for traveling

+1 for Tom Bihn bags

Backpack for traveling

I use Exped Cloudburst. light and waterproof until it gets holes after a few months of heavy use. Last one I used until it fell apart. cycle touring.

Backpack for traveling

I need a backpack for people who don't want to look like a backpacker. Any suggestions?

Backpack for traveling

I like Herschel Supply duffle bags: http://www.herschelsupply.com/

They look good, not too expensive, and the shoe compartment comes in handy. They are great for weekend trips where you only want to pack a carry-on to travel.

[Image: H-113-28_Herschel_Supply_Co_Novel_Duffle..._SMALL.jpg]

[Image: H-113-28_Herschel_Supply_Co_Novel_Duffle..._SMALL.jpg]

Backpack for traveling

Quote: (02-19-2014 01:24 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

I need a backpack for people who don't want to look like a backpacker. Any suggestions?

I like this backpack.

[Image: th?id=H.4729619267782355&w=160&h=153&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7]

It zips open like a suitcase, which makes it much easier to access your stuff than with traditional backpack setups.

[Image: th?id=H.4856548420487287&w=139&h=153&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7]

I've packed and unpacked my things more times than I can count in my travels, and back home, as I tend to stay mobile when in the states too. I can't tell you how much easier this simple change in design makes my life.

Also crucial when you need to grab something out of your pack in transit that might not be packed in a typically-accessible place.

I also feel it's got a nice, sleek look that sets it apart from more backpacker-type bags. You can even put away the shoulder straps and carry it like a suitcase, using the side handle if you really wanted to.

It's got a ton of room, cinches down pretty small with the straps, and it's a sturdy bag that seems like it will last for a long time.

I will admit that it can be somewhat uncomfortable if you're doing a lot of trekking around and it's stuffed full. It's not designed as a hiking backpack, so the weight isn't as carefully balanced as it could be. Good luck not looking like a backpacker with a hiking pack though.

Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Porter-46-L...ck+osprey/

This is the 46-liter, but they have various sizes, so you might want to do a search for Osprey backpacks. I don't remember which size I got, but mine is a little too big for carry-on, which I was pretty bummed to discover because I hate checking luggage. You'd have to do some research to see which is the right one for that.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Backpack for traveling

How do you guys with backpacks bring your blazers or suits, or do you?

Backpack for traveling

Quote: (02-19-2014 02:23 PM)Alpha_Romeo Wrote:  

I brought a blazer when I backpacked Europe. Try to get a room with an iron. Failing that, hang it up in the bathroom and leave the hot water on full blast to steam the room up.

I like blazers because they're so versatile and will even dress up a pair of jeans (just don't mention that to the Gmanifesto), but they may not be the best choice for backpackers. I used to have a cool, hip-looking lightweight coat that sort of had a rugged look to it. Didn't look bad a bit wrinkled up due to the style. That was an asset to have for going out when on the road.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Backpack for traveling

Every Day Carry Tactical Assault Bag EDC Day Pack Backpack w/Molle Webbing Black $28 + Free Shipping!

Backpack for traveling

I would not recommend an assault pack for civilian travel, the packs weigh twice as much as their civilian counterparts and keep your back sweaty and hot because they're designed for wearing over body armor and web gear. Next time I hit the road I'm thinking of getting this pack, the Minall, which was designed around airline travel.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/min...r-and-more
$341,393 pledged of $30,000 goal

Backpack for traveling

exactly^
I don't know why people want to carry military styled bags so often. They are almost always bulky.
no matter what you say. you stand out more with a military bag. security wise, you never know who is watching you.

I'm really liking that osprey bag the voyager and the kick starter.
that's what I want. a bag that's got at just 40 liters of space and is low profile.
the 44 liter bag I posted will fit as a carry on. I'm sure the 46 liter osprey still too, since it's rectangular

I am the cock carousel

Backpack for traveling

Garment bags. You are usually allowed a carry-on plus an additional personal bag.

[Image: 5410n-12img1.jpg]

Backpack for traveling

Speaking from experience here, I used the Spec Ops and original Lightfighter RAID pack while traveling to Germany and England. The damn things are almost 5 pounds each. They're overbuilt so that they can survive being hung off of a bouncing MRAP, parachute drops, carrying 40 lbs of bulky radio batteries and ammunition on maneuvers. On leave I carried less than 15 lbs of laptop and clothes. Save the assault packs for the assault.

Backpack for traveling

Quote: (02-19-2014 02:26 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

I brought a blazer when I backpacked Europe. Try to get a room with an iron. Failing that, hang it up in the bathroom and leave the hot water on full blast to steam the room up.

I like blazers because they're so versatile and will even dress up a pair of jeans (just don't mention that to the Gmanifesto), but they may not be the best choice for backpackers. I used to have a cool, hip-looking lightweight coat that sort of had a rugged look to it. Didn't look bad a bit wrinkled up due to the style. That was an asset to have for going out when on the road.

Do you pack your blazer in your backpack, or do you wear your blazer while hefting your backpack? I think my backpack would shred my coats.

I use a Gregory Z-35R, which carries well and fits into the overhead bins on most aircraft. It's a good size, as you can rest it on your lap for bus, train rides if need be.

Backpack for traveling

^ I don't travel with one anymore, but when I did, I was packing it in my bag.

Beyond All Seas

Backpack for traveling

Quote: (02-19-2014 01:45 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Quote: (02-19-2014 01:24 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

I like this backpack.

[Image: th?id=H.4729619267782355&w=160&h=153&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7]

It zips open like a suitcase, which makes it much easier to access your stuff than with traditional backpack setups.

[Image: th?id=H.4856548420487287&w=139&h=153&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7]

Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Porter-46-L...ck+osprey/

This is the 46-liter, but they have various sizes, so you might want to do a search for Osprey backpacks. I don't remember which size I got, but mine is a little too big for carry-on, which I was pretty bummed to discover because I hate checking luggage. You'd have to do some research to see which is the right one for that.

I went along and bought a Osprey 46. for 108 at halfmoon outfitter. Its sized pretty nice. The exact limit for a carry on.
I like how its more square(technically you should get more space than rounded backpacks)
Im planning on packing it will all the shit i plan to take..then going to the story that sell the kelty. and loading all my stuff into the kelty.

If it all fits, still has a little room for extras, can be compressed....then Ill just return the osprey and go with my original choice of the kelty

I am the cock carousel