rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Investing in natural gas in Africa?

I was talking on the phone at work and this guy mentioned natural gas in Afica. I should have asked him to go into more detail but I didn't [Image: confused.gif]

Have you guys heard anything?

Oil and gas in Africa is from 4 countries - Algeria, Angola, Libya and Nigeria. These are part of OPEC but the newest discoveries are from offshore fields of East Africa. Infact, East Africa is called as the next frontier for gas.

Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania and Mozambique are the main areas where gas is currently looked at. If you read online, there are a variety of discoveries happening off this side of the coast but the issue is transporting or exporting it as well as the political interference & uncertainty.

The infrastructure is so poor that they are building pipelines to ship it but the Chinese have made more inroads recently to have an "arrangement" for infrastructure building while siphoning off their gas. But governments in Africa are requiring E&P companies to supply gas as an energy feedstock for local power generation, industry and for general consumption, prior to exports.

So there's a shortage of trained oil and gas workers in the industry. Check out the job resources posted in the other oil threads to find sites which post these jobs. Trust me, they pay really well and you live like a king over there while you are there.

Quote: (02-11-2014 10:13 AM)villageindian Wrote:  

These are part of OPEC but the newest discoveries are from offshore fields of East Africa. Infact, East Africa is called as the next frontier for gas.

[Image: ohshit.gif]

[Image: mindblown.gif]

West Africa bishes:

[Image: fattitude.gif]

East Africa bishes

[Image: Strip.gif]

I'm listening. E Africa is basically the Middle East as far as genetics are concerned. Goes back to the tribes and all that. Even Kuwaitis consider Ethiopians/Eritreans Middle Eastern of descent. Interesting history. Much safer and cleaner, and in a far better travel location, IMHO than W Africa.

VillageIndian, feel free to expand on who is exploring or hiring in the offshore sector. There are some offshore/oil/MidEast threads you can tack the intel on. Thanks bro!

A little known fact is that Paraguay is loaded with undeveloped gas fields. The dictatorship of General Stroessner lasted until rather recently (1989). He was notoriously paranoid of foreign interests, including business interests. So, although Argentina developed its natural gas resources just across the river, Paraguay's remained undeveloped.

I have heard some stories (from a friend who lives there) about the crazy money made by speculators with connections to the government buying and selling concessions. Stories such as people paying $100,000 for an option and then selling it for tens of millions within a year. You have got to love those wild west countries.

Quote:Quote:

Comparison to Bolivia & Argentina
Bolivia and Argentina both produce from the same geological formations as exist in Paraguay. For over 70 years Bolivia has produced oil and natural gas from the same geological formations that underlie the Paraguayan Chaco Basin. Oil is being produced in the Palmar Largo field of Argentina 3 km south of the border with Paraguay. Given the similar geological settings, and the fact that the bulk of the Paraguayan Chaco Basin is unexplored, the potential for large hydrocarbon reserves as exist in the neighboring countries would appear to be an excellent possibility.

http://www.oilvoice.com/n/Oil_And_Natura...79550.aspx

Quote: (02-11-2014 10:39 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

VillageIndian, feel free to expand on who is exploring or hiring in the offshore sector. There are some offshore/oil/MidEast threads you can tack the intel on. Thanks bro!

Ali, we are looking for safety, well, drilling, production and subsea engineers primarily though we resource for other positions too. When I say "we", we use manpower recruitment consultants often to get temp staff to fill the jobs.

Infact, most of the oil jobs in East Africa are currently being sourced by these consultants. I know for a fact that Air Energi, Brunel, NES Global, Swift Oil & Gas, Link O&G are looking now for subsea and well engineers and my company just posted for some roles based out of Gabon and Angola.

The other areas where workers are needed is in the U.S. Gulf Coast/Gulf of Mexico and Brazil area. We are looking in this area too but prefer people with some experience based out of Texas/Louisiana. Look for Brazil to start ramping up as soon as the World Cup ends.

There are a number of projects coming up in the Gulf Coast onshore area too (which I posted in the U.S. thread) between this year and 2018. There are EPC firms like Fluor, Jacobs, KBR etc.. who are doing the legwork but they usually outsource their requests to manpower firms. And thats where we also prefer to get people as it is too expensive for us to bring them full-time onto our payroll. I know these firms are starting to ramp up presently for the projects coming up soon. Would suggest to apply to them if you can.

We are going to struggle with our company projects in the U.S. simply because of this labor shortage. I study the industry trends and trust me, my fellow folks in Houston are struggling right now to retain temp folks because they are being offered high pay elsewhere in the Gulf Coast. Its not like the Middle East where they sieze your passport and prevent you from jumping to another employer quickly.

I will follow this thread with huge interest. Ye guys that have a lot of experience in this field can ye please offer me some advice. I am a ticketed electrician of North America and Europe is there any such need at the moment for electricians in these offshore oil and gas jobs? And if so what courses should I be aiming for? I am thinking along the lines of plc or instrument tech? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Great info OP.

How do the pay rates compare to the US/Canada?

Its these threads that bring so much value to the forum. Overseas energy sector jobs are paying due to labor shortages and demands in the all the countries where the best skilled labor comes from U.S., OZ, UK, Germany, ect. Why travel when you can make money closer to home? For Americans, the biggest incentive is tax breaks. Your first $92K is exempt from uncle sam putting his dirty little fingers in it. That makes a HUGE difference. Plus potential lower cost of living, and not coming out of pocket for food/lodging while working onsite.

For players, the advantage is having your cake and eating it too. Why live among homosexuals in California when you could be making $500 living in Ethiopia and being surrounded by beautiful feminine women?

Quote: (02-13-2014 11:04 AM)Atlantic Wrote:  

Great info OP.
How do the pay rates compare to the US/Canada?

Pay is comparable if not a bit higher than US. Simply because you get a hardship allowance for dangerous areas to survive. You get it because of the situation in Somalia and Ethiopia.

Specialized skillset like geophysicist, geologist etc.. get paid way more. If you're educationally qualified, then try your luck with the small firms such as Tullow, Genel Energy. They will pay you a ton of money but the work is also thrust on you. Great opportunity for leadership and learning!

But remember these areas are not so developed so your best bet is to finish a routine, go outside for rest and come back for the next routine (e.g. 28/28)

Any recommendations for the drilling side of things?

If the pay was the same or even a little less I would look into it.

I like the idea of a bit of adventure and want to drilling in Africa at some point in my life.

While I believe Nigeria is the biggest producer of LNG in sub-Saharan Africa, and Angola recently started delivering some LNG trains, the future is east-Africa. Specifically, Mozambique. About two years ago, around 65 trillion cubic feet (TCF) of gas was found off the coast of Mozambique. Combined with the coal projects, that country will have so much money coming in. The two major players involved in the gas project (last I checked) are Anadarko and Eni. I think Bechtel was trying to get be the subcontractor for the LNG project.

Working directly in the oil/gas sector is one route. For the entrepreneur, going to the under-developed north, where the gas projects are, and finding ways to have those oil-workers part with their money (via booze, women, etc) might be another route.