rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

St. Paul Data Sheet

St. Paul Data Sheet

St. Paul, Minnesota
[Image: StPaulNightSkyline640_0.jpg]
History: St Paul became a big deal in Minnesota shortly before the civil war. Legend has it that when it officially became a state, Stillwater wanted the prison, Minneapolis wanted the university, so St. Paul got stuck with the capital. It was notorious during prohibition for its lenient policies regarding warrants from outside the city, and served as a safe haven for every gangster you've ever heard of, and a hundred you haven't. It's cleaned up its image since then, but you can still go and tour the old speakeasys and bootlegging caves along the Mississippi. The city is very American, with waves of immigrants changing the city every generation. It's a big mix of Scandinavian, German, Cambodian, Hmong, and Somali. The city was originally named "Pig's Eye", after a whiskey trader. For awhile there you could buy Pig's Eye Beer, but I haven't seen it in a long time.

Weather: Be warned, in St. Paul the temp drops below freezing (32°F) damn near every night between mid-October and mid-March. Be dressed for the cold. The only month when it hasn't snowed in Minnesota is July, so watch the weather forecast before you go out. Any major events you go to, and any clubs you go to will likely have a line outside waiting, so dress appropriately. On the plus side, you get to see what lengths cabin fever drives people to during the St. Paul Winter Carnival.

[Image: wintercarnice.jpg]

Transportation: Getting a taxi here isn't as easy as Minneapolis, but really all you have to do is call one of the companies and they'll send a car out in roughly 15 minutes. Former governor Jesse Ventura once famously said St Paul was designed by a drunken irishman, and he wasn't joking. Streets loop around in and change directions constantly (this can make for a decent adventure/nightmare depending on the time of year). The new light rail line running along University Ave. is starting up later this year and will supposedly provide easy access to the wealth of restaurants along its path.

Food & Drink The original Green Mill Restaurant offers damn good pizza, but good luck getting in on the weekend.
The Bulldog is a pretty popular bar that offers up dozens of beers on its menu. Worth checking out.
For anyone who's been to Central America, a Pollo Campero just opened up in downtown. I haven't checked it out to see if the quality is any better, so caveat emptor.
There are plenty of restaurants scattered along both Snelling and University.
If you really want to spend some cash, Forepaugh's will charge you a good $40/plate.
And since this is the RVF, The Strip Club is a restaurant I've heard great things about from everyone who's been there. Apparently it's meat and fish themed. If anyone checks it out before I do, post a review please.
No visit to St. Paul would be complete without a stop at Mickey's Diner, open 24/7/365! This restaurant has been featured on every Food Network show that's come through the area, and for good reason.

Day Como Zoo & Conservatory is open 365 and totally free. They've been renovating the zoo over the past few years, turning the concentration camp style animal pens into a decent zoo. The two polar bears in the now massive bear area are named Neil & Buzz (the things you learn working there during college).

There are a couple big college campuses in St. Paul; Hamline, St. Kates, St. Thomas, and Macalester, each with their obligatory cheap coffee shops, restaurants and bars within walking distance. The University of Minnesota also has a large campus in St. Paul, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly devoted to agriculture.

The city is known as a great place for baseball, even though the Twins play in Minneapolis. During the summer you can catch a Saints game which are usually pretty good. You can also catch a Wild game at the Excel Center, if hockey is more your thing.

It gets said a lot in the Minneapolis thread, but the Mall of America is really the best place in town to go in terms of shopping or aimlessly wandering. While it deserves its title as the mecca of shopping with over 400 stores, it also has a full amusement park, ropes course, movie theater (where they serve beer!), lego land, and aquarium. It also has over 20 full scale restaurants and multiple food courts. Finally construction just finished last year on a whole new section which houses a full sized Radisson hotel with 500 rooms. In case that's not enough shopping for you, it's surrounded by restaurants and has an Ikea next door.

[Image: Mall_of_America_interior.jpg]

Night If you can dance, the Wabasha Caves offers a weekly swing dance night every Thursday from 6-10pm with a real big band. Lots of people get dressed up and go out. They also offer a quick tutorial before they get going if you can get there early.

There aren't many clubs in St Paul, especially compared to Minneapolis, however you can check out Valentino's, though your mileage may vary there. Sometimes its poppin, sometimes it leaves a lot to be desired. Same goes for Myth. If you're looking to go clubbing, go to Minneapolis. St. Paul does have a shit ton of dive bars everywhere you look, so there's that at least.

Suit game works extremely well. More often than not the dudes here will be wearing sweaters or plaid when they go out. Every single time I've gone out in St. Paul and worn anything beyond a button up, I've gotten compliments. As I said earlier, be prepared to stand outside waiting to get in for quite a bit. There's always some dumbass who is out there in shorts without a coat freezing, don't be that guy.

Random Stuff The city sits on top of a massive network of tunnels dating back over a century. Between the sewer system, the prohibition smugglers, and various businesses finding ways to connect to each other during the harsh winters, and the steam tunnels used for energy/heat for decades, it's a virtual rats nest down there. Note: If you do go down there, don't blame me if you get killed. Every few years some teens get somewhere they shouldn't be and suffocate down there.

If you come during winter, don't fret about walking around downtown during the day. You can stay nice and warm strolling through the skyway system. It's a system of aboveground glass tunnels that lets you get from one building to another across the major sections of downtown. Not quite as awesome as this, though.
[Image: hamster-cage-rotastak-space-command.jpg]
(Before you say it, it's a gerbil cage, not a hamster cage!)
If you come during the summer, try to make it to the Minnesota State Fair, the largest state fair in the country. Stand in line for two hours to burn your mouth on cheese curds!

Official recommendation: The best thing about St. Paul is Minneapolis.

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

St. Paul Data Sheet

Note: I'm working on writing up Minneapolis like this, so let me know what you guys liked/didn't like about this one and I'll try to use those suggestions there.

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

St. Paul Data Sheet

What about the girls?

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

St. Paul Data Sheet

^^ Great stuff can't wait for your Minneapolis sheet.

St. Paul Data Sheet

Quote: (02-10-2014 10:41 PM)Mentavious Wrote:  

What about the girls?

They come in every shape, size and color. By which I mean 90% every shape, every size, and white. For anything other than white girls you gotta go to Minneapolis, in my experience.

Every woman I've been with in the Twin Cities has made some comment about me being black. Every. Single. One. Sometimes it's been okay, sometimes it's crossed way past racist into "Damn, did she just say that?!" From everything I've heard from other minorities, it's the same. Men of color are a rare prize here.

St. Paul Data Sheet

Is being a minority an advantage in SP and Minneapolis? A good looking one of course.

St. Paul Data Sheet

Quote: (02-10-2014 11:04 PM)Screwston Wrote:  

Is being a minority an advantage in SP and Minneapolis? A good looking one of course.

Depends on the situation. All through college I got hit with "You're only here because of affirmative action/basketball." Despite not actually playing basketball a day in my life. You'll stand out quite a bit, especially if you head into the suburbs. It's not unusual for there to be a token black person in every big group of friends you see hitting the town.

As far as women go, it's always worked to my advantage here. I wouldn't be surprised if anyone actually ran into a Key & Peele sitch.

St. Paul Data Sheet

Nice seeing my home state getting reviewed here.

Just gotta nitpick though. The below zero thing from Oct through March is just not true, January and February are the only two really cold months that can pull that off. But yeah just avoid Jan and Feb if possible and you're good.

If you like blonde hair and blue eyes, you'll like MN. From Wikipedia, ancestry of Minnesotans are:
37.9% German
32.1% from the Nordic countries

St. Paul Data Sheet

Quote: (02-10-2014 11:21 PM)delrake Wrote:  

Just gotta nitpick though. The below zero thing from Oct through March is just not true, January and February are the only two really cold months that can pull that off. But yeah just avoid Jan and Feb if possible and you're good.

If you like blonde hair and blue eyes, you'll like MN. From Wikipedia, ancestry of Minnesotans are:
37.9% German

Good catch, I meant under 32°F.

St. Paul Data Sheet

Quote: (02-10-2014 10:38 PM)Osiris Wrote:  

St. Paul, Minnesota
[b]Official recommendation: The best thing about St. Paul is Minneapolis.[/b]

Couldn't have said this part better myself OP! Haha. I was waiting for there to be the catch and you delivered at the end.

St. Paul Data Sheet

I've been out that way a few times to consult at the big red umbrella and as a black guy who was well dressed I must say I got very very good attention.

Awesome write up, will help me if I'm forced out there again!

St. Paul Data Sheet

Went to The Strip Club last night. I've never been a fan of steak until now. Quite possibly one of the best meals I've ever had. Holy fuck. Definitely recommended to anyone in the area.

[Image: strip-club-meat-and-fish.jpg]

St. Paul Data Sheet

I have some specific questions

Do women:
  • Sleep with minority guys but will not date them
  • Prefer a specific look ? (muscular, average, thin)
  • Care about height (would 5'8 be a minimum requirement)
  • Prefer stereotypical black guys (hip hop swag) or integrated personalities?
  • How hard is it for a guy to build a small stable of FWB's over the course of a month? Assuming he is above average in social skills and looks ? what has your personal experience been like ?
  • Do ratio's favor men or women
  • How rough is the competition for any given social event (clubs, bars, outdoor/biking events, meetups etc) ?

St. Paul Data Sheet

Quote: (02-10-2014 11:21 PM)delrake Wrote:  

37.9% German

That's why I need to get to MN more often.

[Image: 81b8736db55fa2552536df41339d1bb6ed4df7a4...bd5317.jpg]

St. Paul Data Sheet

Quote: (04-20-2014 11:53 AM)velkrum Wrote:  

I have some specific questions

Do women:
  • Sleep with minority guys but will not date them
  • Prefer a specific look ? (muscular, average, thin)
  • Care about height (would 5'8 be a minimum requirement)
  • Prefer stereotypical black guys (hip hop swag) or integrated personalities?
  • How hard is it for a guy to build a small stable of FWB's over the course of a month? Assuming he is above average in social skills and looks ? what has your personal experience been like ?
  • Do ratio's favor men or women
  • How rough is the competition for any given social event (clubs, bars, outdoor/biking events, meetups etc) ?

I'd be willing to bet the the number of women willing to sleep with a minority but not date them is higher in the cities than in the suburbs or rural places, but beyond that I couldn't speak to it.

Just don't be obese or a pygmy and you should do fine.

Integrated personalities are a must. MN is pretty fuckin' white, I've had to deal with a lot of shit over the years - some stuff isn't even ill-intentions, just fear of outside looks and cultures.

Anything above average in MN is going to kill.

Competition for minority men? Non-existent outside the club scene. Even then, your mileage may vary.

St. Paul Data Sheet

"Integrated personalities are a must. MN is pretty fuckin' white, I've had to deal with a lot of shit over the years - some stuff isn't even ill-intentions, just fear of outside looks and cultures."

Do people just act disrespectful and make rude comments to your face? Is it more ignorance than actual racism?

St. Paul Data Sheet

I'm just fed up with getting comments about how articulate, clean, well spoken, educated, etc... I am compared to "the usual type of black people". I seriously can't make it more than two weeks without hearing something to this effect. I was actually going to make a post about this, just haven't figured out how to word it yet without setting off another forum race war.

I have encountered more than a few people in MN who straight up object to minorities being considered anything near their equal. It's one part hilarious, two parts aggravating. Luckily, they're rare, but it always leaves me wondering who secretly agrees with them and would act that way if they could get away with it.

St. Paul Data Sheet

Quote: (04-21-2014 12:21 AM)Osiris Wrote:  

I'm just fed up with getting comments about how articulate, clean, well spoken, educated, etc... I am compared to "the usual type of black people". I seriously can't make it more than two weeks without hearing something to this effect. I was actually going to make a post about this, just haven't figured out how to word it yet without setting off another forum race war.

I have encountered more than a few people in MN who straight up object to minorities being considered anything near their equal. It's one part hilarious, two parts aggravating. Luckily, they're rare, but it always leaves me wondering who secretly agrees with them and would act that way if they could get away with it.

Brother as a guy who lives in the South St Paul area I know excatly what the fuck you talking about.

A lot of people in Minnesota are just plain ignorant due to lack of wordly experince. They think they know shit but they don't. A lot of these motherfuckers have never been passed Minnetonka or Minneapolis for that reason.

I just dealt with this crap recently where a dude was shocked that I wasn't "ghetto" in this college party [Image: dodgy.gif]

It really is some dumb shit and the girls do it too

Personally I don't fuck with St Paul, I use to go too Valentino s and had moderate success there but now i heard it's a 16-20 club.

I don't fuck with "The onion" cause they are racists as hell, Tiffany's is meeh and Billy's is meeeh as well

St. Paul Data Sheet

Thesoloist how do you present yourself ? How would you best describe your style and the way you speak. Are you fit and muscular ?

According to Mixx it seems nearly any minority would do EXTREMELY well in Minnesota, but according to you (someone who lives there) it seems like this may not be true.

Can you and Osiris share more information on how well you guys are doing (with women) ?
What are your biggest frustrations and what is the ratio of success to failure rate ?
I would assume (according to Mixx) you both would be swimming in it.

I will be attending medical school in Minneapolis so i am extremely excited and cautious about what to expect.
Minnesota is a huge mystery to me so i have a lot of specific questions. thanks

St. Paul Data Sheet

Quote: (04-24-2014 12:09 PM)velkrum Wrote:  

Thesoloist how do you present yourself ? How would you best describe your style and the way you speak. Are you fit and muscular ?

According to Mixx it seems nearly any minority would do EXTREMELY well in Minnesota, but according to you (someone who lives there) it seems like this may not be true.

Can you and Osiris share more information on how well you guys are doing (with women) ?
What are your biggest frustrations and what is the ratio of success to failure rate ?
I would assume (according to Mixx) you both would be swimming in it.

I will be attending medical school in Minneapolis so i am extremely excited and cautious about what to expect.
Minnesota is a huge mystery to me so i have a lot of specific questions. thanks

How do I present myself? It depends on the scene to be honest. Like I said I really don't fuck with St Paul cause it's wack to me. If I'm In Minneapolis I dress to impress

[Image: d9f7f7f4-e50c-4e7a-9951-9384c83ed9ea_zpse75d7850.jpg]

If I'm in the college scene/House Parties I dress more laid back. Since wearing a suite will make you look to "Try hard"

[Image: 08ffa2fb-78c3-4d8d-afb8-c166b859058f_zpsfd7feb84.jpg]

I've lost some weight since those pics and I think being fit and in shape will help anyone out here hence that's been my focus.

This winter was probably the worse COLD streak I ever been through. I blame it on the weather but also I've been focusing on the gym and stacking my bread. This summer is gonna be epic and tons of slutting around going on with these women wanting to let loose believe that!

My only frustration in MN game is that these girls here are confused. Cold approach works but you literally have to OD on approaching and I just don't have the energy for all that like I use too.

If you light skinned and look like Drake or dress like him then yes Minneapolis will be super duper easy for ya. Or Unless you are a Superthug or are a pretty boy. But if not then it's gonna be tough getting these Beckies. I'm not talking about trailer trash chicks but top tier snowbunnies and sisters for that matter. For an average looking brother you better have an "X-Factor" For me personally I had to develop a niche and that's social circle however its something I'm still perfecting I think Distant Light has it down to a science but I don't have the luxury of time nor is Minneapolis, New York different dynamic.

Minnesota is not bad and if you are a brother or white dude in shape, dress well you will certainly stand out. But don't be gass'd there tons of brothers here who are in shape, dress well and stand out. The higher value you're though the easier the game will be hence I'm in the gym twice a day

St. Paul Data Sheet

I heard a white suburbanite woman say the phrase, "Afro-American" twice in the past week, as in "Are most of you students Afro-American?" She was in her late thirties or early forties.

I'd say people in the metro area aren't racist in the, "I hate niggers!" stance, however they haven't had much exposure to people from other cultures. Their contact with black people extends as far as voting for Obama and watching The Cosby Show or The Fresh Prince. A friend who works in admissions at a local college had to talk down a hysterical mother who's son decided to go to school in St. Paul - the root of her concern was that she had heard about roaming Somali gangs that went unchecked throughout the cities.

Every white girl I've been with here has always had something to say about me being black. Every. Single. One. The worst/most hilarious was when a girl started begging me to give her my "nigger cock". Not quite a boner killer, but definitely made me pause for a moment before considering my next action.

The worst I get on a regular basis is, "You're the whitest black guy I know!" Like, gee, thanks, I'm a grad student, what did you expect me to do? Pull up in a low rider, draw a weapon on you and take your purse before sitting down next to you in class?

Keep in mind that the people you're interacting with may not have much experience with people of color and might be coming to you with a lot of preconceived notions in mind. Do the best to represent yourself in a positive manner that won't reinforce any stereotypes and you'll do okay.

St. Paul Data Sheet

Osiris makes some good points. I like Minneapolis and I enjoy Minneapolis. I am Latino and niche game here is quite easy for me. The white people here are...interesting. As Osiris mentioned, there are many people here who are a bit sheltered. A lot of people's life in the Twin Cities goes as follows:
-Grow up in a Minneapolis-St Paul suburb (Lakeville, Richfield, Edina, Eden Prairie, Chanhassen, etc.)
-Attend a college/university in Minneapolis-St Paul (St. Thomas, Macalester, U of M, Hamline, Augsburg, Bethel, etc.)
-Graduate and start working in Minneapolis-St Paul and live in Uptown/Downtown/NE/St Paul
-By 30 get married and move to the suburbs
-Have kids and the whole cycle begins again

A lot of them will hang out w/ the same group of friends from high school and college, so it can be a bit cliquish in that regard. And people who are in their 30's and 40's who live in the suburbs can be very sheltered. I know of some of these people who won't go to downtown Minneapolis on the weekends b/c they think it's 'dangerous'. Please...downtown Minneapolis is not dangerous. I've been to dangerous in other countries and cities, downtown Minneapolis is not that.

Some of the white girls in their 20's and early 30's have traveled, done study abroad, and come off as more cultured than the white guys here (in my experience). I'm guessing a lot of MN white guys haven't traveled as much, at least that is my experience from people I have known here.

You'll do fine in Minneapolis. If you know who you are and you know the type of people you like to hang out with, you will connect with like-minded people in the Twin Cities. It may take some time, but you will do it. Just some random thoughts and advice on the Twin Cities and people here. I may add some more later.

And by the way...has anyone gone to Boneyard in Uptown yet? It's a good new spot. Their patio has been PACKED on nice days. Good spot for the summer.

St. Paul Data Sheet

Quote: (04-28-2014 10:15 AM)Osiris Wrote:  

I heard a white suburbanite woman say the phrase, "Afro-American" twice in the past week, as in "Are most of you students Afro-American?" She was in her late thirties or early forties.

I'd say people in the metro area aren't racist in the, "I hate niggers!" stance, however they haven't had much exposure to people from other cultures. Their contact with black people extends as far as voting for Obama and watching The Cosby Show or The Fresh Prince. A friend who works in admissions at a local college had to talk down a hysterical mother who's son decided to go to school in St. Paul - the root of her concern was that she had heard about roaming Somali gangs that went unchecked throughout the cities.

Every white girl I've been with here has always had something to say about me being black. Every. Single. One. The worst/most hilarious was when a girl started begging me to give her my "nigger cock". Not quite a boner killer, but definitely made me pause for a moment before considering my next action.

The worst I get on a regular basis is, "You're the whitest black guy I know!" Like, gee, thanks, I'm a grad student, what did you expect me to do? Pull up in a low rider, draw a weapon on you and take your purse before sitting down next to you in class?

Keep in mind that the people you're interacting with may not have much experience with people of color and might be coming to you with a lot of preconceived notions in mind. Do the best to represent yourself in a positive manner that won't reinforce any stereotypes and you'll do okay.

Damn you must be dealing with chicks on a "1st time basis" who ain't never been with a black dude and you they first [Image: sleepy.gif]. I think the only thing i deal with is that they expect the "sterotype" of being hood and if you're not that "tyrone" guy then well it's on to the enxt

Quote: (04-28-2014 12:05 PM)El Rey Wrote:  

Osiris makes some good points. I like Minneapolis and I enjoy Minneapolis. I am Latino and niche game here is quite easy for me. The white people here are...interesting. As Osiris mentioned, there are many people here who are a bit sheltered. A lot of people's life in the Twin Cities goes as follows:
-Grow up in a Minneapolis-St Paul suburb (Lakeville, Richfield, Edina, Eden Prairie, Chanhassen, etc.)
-Attend a college/university in Minneapolis-St Paul (St. Thomas, Macalester, U of M, Hamline, Augsburg, Bethel, etc.)
-Graduate and start working in Minneapolis-St Paul and live in Uptown/Downtown/NE/St Paul
-By 30 get married and move to the suburbs
-Have kids and the whole cycle begins again

Yup your analysis is spot on, a lot of people here hang with the same clique something I mentioned earlier.

If "Boneyard" is that new bar by Bar Louie and the tavern, I have checked it out, it's gonna be fucking serious this summer

We need to do a meet up tho I'm about to go to the Cause in uptown holla at some hipster bitches [Image: banana.gif]