rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Southern Europe

Southern Europe

Anybody from the forum been recently to southern Europe BOTH in the past year and also more than 5 years ago (experienced it pre crisis and also during crisis) and can compare their experiences there? I'd be very interested in hearing about those kind of experiences and possible differences.

Frankly, if you have a job and status in southern Europe working for a company not affected by the crisis, living in Spain or Portugal would be amazing. Great weather, beaches and close by to Eastern Europe for hooking of with the Slavics. Cost of living will be may more affordable than cold countries like France and Germany

I've read the average salary in Portugal is something like 400-500 EUR (550-700 USD) per month now. Unemployment at %20. Things are only going to get worse until the southern part of Europe implodes or the EU implodes.

Southern Europe

Quote: (01-14-2014 09:48 PM)beach91 Wrote:  

Anybody from the forum been recently to southern Europe BOTH in the past year and also more than 5 years ago (experienced it pre crisis and also during crisis) and can compare their experiences there? I'd be very interested in hearing about those kind of experiences and possible differences.

Frankly, if you have a job and status in southern Europe working for a company not affected by the crisis, living in Spain or Portugal would be amazing. Great weather, beaches and close by to Eastern Europe for hooking of with the Slavics. Cost of living will be may more affordable than cold countries like France and Germany

I've read the average salary in Portugal is something like 400-500 EUR (550-700 USD) per month now. Unemployment at %20. Things are only going to get worse until the southern part of Europe implodes or the EU implodes.

I was in Portugal a few months back. Economic situation is pretty dire. So much so that the age demographic of some cities (such as Porto, where I was) has really changed over the last few years as younger people are leaving for England and other countries where entry-level work is available. These people are often heavily over-qualified for the roles they take in Northern Europe (think MA/Msc graduates working in coffee shops) but they are happy to take what's available.

As you say, if you are working for an international firm or company that is relatively unaffected by the economic difficulties in both countries then you could have a good lifestyle for sure. Weather and food are great (obviously warmer the further south you go in both Spain and Portugal) local talent is great and you will be seen as a secure earner.

Regarding wages, an ex-gf of mine is Portuguese and her sister is a secondary school teacher there. She earns around 500 Euro a month. Family networks are very strong in Spain and Portugal which helps young people survive (and breeds a far stronger support network as an added bonus). Hence if you are earning an international wage you can be seen as quite a catch.

In short, what you are considering can be a good option (if it is available to you). Despite Spain and Portugal's dire economic situation, I would argue that both countries can offer a very high quality of life and in your case, standard of living.

Southern Europe

Interesting about the secondary school teacher salary anecdote. I think that all of these struggling European countries are royally fucked. As you are saying, the smartest people are leaving, meaning the ones left behind are all the lest intelligent.

Damn, a poor Europe, while sad in a way, would be the most amazing place for a great travel experience. Being rich in Europe in 5-10 years means your money is going to be worth so much more than it used to be

Southern Europe

I'm here right now. The women here are an absolute horror to approach in clubs. If you don't have an extended social circle, you'll be stuck approaching 100 women a night and going home with your dick in your hands.

The best results I've gotten here have always been from foreign girls. Portugese guys and all southern Europeans in general approach a lot, so the Portuguese girls have pretty much heard it all.

It's tough man, even as a "catch". If I had to go somewhere in Southern Europe, it'd probably be Barcelona. Lots of Intl. girls level out the competition and the spaniards have to be nice to you too sometimes.

Southern Europe

I have just got back from Spain and actually noticed prices of things have gone UP. This has also happened in the UK...less volume so businesses increases pricing to maintain profitability. I also observed less people going out (as you would expect) so it would seem yet another counter intuitive 'glass half full' theory up in smoke.

Southern Europe

I wonder where the best place to live in Southern Europe would be, somewhere with good nightlife, good weather, nice women, and a reasonable cost of living

Maybe only Greece ticks the boxes

Southern Europe

Quote: (01-20-2014 02:50 PM)EU Explorer Wrote:  

I have just got back from Spain and actually noticed prices of things have gone UP. This has also happened in the UK...less volume so businesses increases pricing to maintain profitability. I also observed less people going out (as you would expect) so it would seem yet another counter intuitive 'glass half full' theory up in smoke.

Real estate is the make or break of your expenses anyway. If you make decent bank and pay very little in rent you are in an ideal scenario. If luxury items become uncompetitive you can always import from a neighboring Euro country with better prices.

And more unemployed girls means more opportunities to meet girls in the daytime.

Southern Europe

i'm 18 year old portuguese guy and live in lisbon

the weather and the beaches are awesome, but it is not close to eastern europe, in fact eastern europe is in opposite side of europe.
If you like tanned women with cute butts you'll like here , but the talent isn't the best compared to other european countries

the average salary is not 400€ that is close to the minimum wage in Lisbon the medium wage is 1500€ , while in Portugal it's 1000€

if you are british/american/italian or blonde you will kill it here
And while night stands are not common, it is very easy to kiss-close in clubs.
the guys who can't get a few numbers or kiss close simply have no game or are reaaaally ugly.