rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Ikea commercial promotes single motherhood to girls

Let Mandy, the star of our new TV ad, show you around her one room paradise and prove that you don't have to own a penthouse to live the dream.

This month sees the launch of our new TV advert, "One Room Paradise", a film showing how one doll and her son make the most of their small space thanks to solutions from IKEA. The soundtrack is a re-record of an old Aretha Franklin track, by up and coming soul singer Elayna Boynton, who recently found fame singing on the soundtrack for Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained.

You would think "The man I love" would be her husband. Guess not.

Team Nachos

Haha who cares. That's all she will be able to afford (one bedroom apartment) once she realizes that no young successful dude will come within 5 miles of her. At best she would be a pump and dump but I don't suggest anyone hook up with single mothers. At least the commercial is accurate

thats a pretty cool commercial actually

I think they're obviously distorting the original context of the song.

Team Nachos

I think its freaky with the giant doll heads. Her coming back from a night out makes her look like an overgrown child as well. And yes its distorting the context of the song. However its pandering to single moms with that commercial which make up a significant chunk of the market. Single moms are no longer shamed in society so expect to see more of this.

Quote: (11-17-2013 09:55 AM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

You would think "The man I love" would be her husband. Guess not.

Thanks. Good catch

Ikea is a Swedish company. We shouldn't be surprised by this ad.

Cool ad. And a good reflection on the ways of the world these days.

There are 15 million single moms in the US. Do they want to be stigmatized as being a person of Walmart? Or do they want to have decent quality, well designed, modern furniture at a low price?

Ikea nailed it again.

IKEA is a company who I'm confident is interested in generating revenue. Thus it is likely in their interest to appeal to as many households as possible. This is marketing 101, and it amuses me that guys sees some conspiracy where simple market demographics are being addressed.

Quote: (11-18-2013 01:08 AM)Laner Wrote:  

There are 15 million single moms in the US. Do they want to be stigmatized as being a person of Walmart? Or do they want to have decent quality, well designed, modern furniture at a low price?

1 in 3 children in America live in a home without a father, as of the Dec 2012 census. It's hardly niche marketing.

Plus, young women love IKEA furniture. No idea why. It looks like ugly crap to my eye - I'm a hardwood man myself - but I've repeatedly seen the enthused reaction firsthand when a girl mentions a trip to IKEA to her gaggle of friends.

The most disgusting part of the ad isn't even that she's single mother, but that she's obviously still riding the [Image: carousel.gif].

She comes home drunk, walk-of-no-shame, shoes in hand. The poor son has to prepare her nasty-ass food the next morning because she's still too fucked up to get up on time.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Quote: (11-18-2013 02:33 AM)AnonymousBosch Wrote:  

Plus, young women love IKEA furniture wasting money on cheap, disposable shit.

Fixed it for you.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Quote: (11-18-2013 02:16 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

IKEA is a company who I'm confident is interested in generating revenue. Thus it is likely in their interest to appeal to as many households as possible. This is marketing 101, and it amuses me that guys sees some conspiracy where simple market demographics are being addressed.

I think you got it wrong. None of us think IKEA has an agenda that favors single motherhood. They are just following the money, as you said.

But why do single mothers have enough money to be worth special marketing campaigns and targeted appeals?

Because of the vile family court system that directly hands them large amounts of free money in the form of alimony and excessive child support, as well as indirect subsidies in form of social security.

We are merely lamenting yet another consequence of the said robbery.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Aren't you in Austria Eel?

Nope, Croatia. I've visited Austria several times, though.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Why don't they have a commercial of her convincing her male neighbor to assemble her crappy IKEA furniture?

Rico... Sauve....

Quote: (11-18-2013 11:11 AM)Sherman Wrote:  

Why don't they have a commercial of her convincing her male neighbor to assemble her crappy IKEA furniture?

Because the modern woman is independent and knows how to use a screwdriver.

[Image: feminist-trade-school-270.jpg]

Team Nachos

Quote: (11-17-2013 11:02 AM)kbell Wrote:  

I think its freaky with the giant doll heads. Her coming back from a night out makes her look like an overgrown child as well.

Well, the whole commercial is the story of a girl pretending to be grown up.