rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

I was talking to a good friend of mine about watches. He's a little older, ~32, and meets girls sometimes at dinners in people's homes, where the attire is suit and tie, more or less. He says the girls he meets really notice the fact that he's wearing a nice watch, which he bought for $5,000. I was surprised that it made a difference with girls, but he was sure of it - and he's not a showy guy.

Does anyone have any experience or insight to contribute?

I just got a Patek Phillipe replica, pictured below. The Chinese replicas are insanely good. You'd have to be an expert to know that it's fake - except for the implausibility of a 22 year old wearing a $20,000 watch. The strap sucks, but I will probably buy a nice alligator replacement for $50-100. The watch itself cost ~$50 plus $20 in shipping (which can be defrayed over multiple items). If you want more info on ordering replicas, ask, but don't order off the web until you do some research, or you'll get scammed. The first is a photo of what I actually got, and the others are from the internet listing. The watch has a mechanical movement, i.e. manual self-winding.

[Image: 4cc53316137ea.jpg]
[Image: 861fa47e41a742cbc4a06049c72a1d6b.jpg]
[Image: fe3fd9ceb523db009992369528777fb7.jpg]

It's one of my favorite watches, but I figure something less understated would be more effective.

Standard disclaimer: Don't get started about money vs game.

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

I have a movado and I like it a lot. Has only really attracted golddiggers though.

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

A patek is a great watch no doubt but girls in your age bracket probably wont notice it too much or even know what a patek is due to their understated nature. Rolex, Breitling, and Tags are all great high end watches that stand out a bit more and are more likely to get the question from a girl "what kind of watch is that?" even if she has to ask because she cant tell what it is on your wrist when you spout off any of the above three brands shell know what they are and it will build some value for you.

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

I've been thinking about getting a watch for a while now. I usually go sans jewelry, but the watch is a good way to go imo. I'd never pay for the real deal, esp as bransom points out, you can get damn near the same thing from China for a drop in the bucket. I was in Bali a year ago and passed on some sweet watches. What are some good sites to get the good impostors from?

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Quote: (11-06-2010 04:04 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

What are some good sites to get the good impostors from?

Not trying to diss you, but getting a fake watch of any kind is like fucking a rubber doll. You get my drift [Image: dodgy.gif]

on a side note, I actually laugh at anyone wearing a Rolex watch today - it's too "look at me, I don't know shit about watches, so I bought a Rolex"

With that said, for you high rollers out there, allow me to personally recommend the RM-011 - Price $85,000USD

http://richard-mille.com/us/rm011/zoom_front.html

Another great watch within easy reach is the Breitling Super Avenger (you can bling the bezel for added effect).

The Breitling starts at 4,100USD - great watch!

These are the ONLY 2 watches I own, and personally enjoy everyday.

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Quote: (11-06-2010 04:54 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Not trying to diss you, but getting a fake watch of any kind is like fucking a rubber doll. You get my drift [Image: dodgy.gif]

on a side note, I actually laugh at anyone wearing a Rolex watch today - it's too "look at me, I don't know shit about watches, so I bought a Rolex"

With that said, for you high rollers out there, allow me to personally recommend the RM-011 - Price $85,000USD

Another great watch within easy reach is the Breitling Super Avenger (you can bling the bezel for added effect).

Mixx,

I like your stuff, in fact, you're one of the reasons why I registered. That said, A good copy is often times manufactured by the same company that does the real thing. Esp in China. You'd be surprised as to what it takes legally for a company to declare "Made in Switzerland" Italy, Germany, etc

Personally, I'm looking to have the option to have a more refined look and I think it's beta to pay top dollar for a piece of metal with a label.

Fisto

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Quote: (11-06-2010 12:27 PM)Jack Frost Wrote:  

A patek is a great watch no doubt but girls in your age bracket probably wont notice it too much or even know what a patek is due to their understated nature. Rolex, Breitling, and Tags are all great high end watches that stand out a bit more and are more likely to get the question from a girl "what kind of watch is that?" even if she has to ask because she cant tell what it is on your wrist when you spout off any of the above three brands shell know what they are and it will build some value for you.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. In order for it to have much of an effect, it would have to be something rather loud and obviously expensive. Pateks, fake or not, are neither, especially to the uninitiated. I'm also in L.A., which is the capital of the gaudy and gauche.

I've been thinking about getting a watch for a while now. I usually go sans jewelry, but the watch is a good way to go imo. I'd never pay for the real deal, esp as bransom points out, you can get damn near the same thing from China for a drop in the bucket. I was in Bali a year ago and passed on some sweet watches. What are some good sites to get the good impostors from?
I used the forums rwgforums.com They have a list of reliable replica dealers - do not order from anyone else unless you have some strong indication that the merchant in question is trustworthy. I actually got mine from the Chinese ebay, called TaoBao. You have to use an agent, and I used TaoBaoNow, which was easy to use and offers great service. They charge a 10% fee, 50 RMB minimum, plus the cost of shipping from China to America, about $20.

Let's see...
1. Fakes may keep just as good time if not better
2. No one will notice, given a good enough replica. If you took a rubber doll out for a night out on the town, however...

The net effect is the same. I don't care if I'm wearing the "real deal."

If any guy asked me, I'd readily admit it's fake. I'd never spend more than the cost of a good fake on a watch, at least not soon. And I broke the last watch I had (a Seiko with an MSRP of $150 bought for $50). I just can't handle wearing 10 grand on my hand.

For me, the watch exists to tell time and look good. For all the labor and precious metals that go into a high end watch, there are replicas that look about as good and cost a hundredth of the price. Save the money for something else, be it investments, suits, shoes, etc. I still can't fathom why guys will wear crappy clothes but obsess over watch features and movements that they'll never use. Not to mention the oversized, over-engineered dials. The horologists put all these details into watches to give you a reason for spending $20k on a watch other than the fact that you want to show off your money. Quartz watches are cheap and keep better time. I'd pay for the fact that it's made out of real gold, but not for the name. Leave that for women and their purses. Hell, the Patek I posted is just a tastefully done grandfather clock face with a seconds dial thrown in.

But back to the topic at hand, any other opinions on what sorts of watches might help?

PS I showed the friend I mentioned the replica, and he said the gold looks fake. It's probably best to get a replica for an original that is white gold or stainless steel, both of which are easier to imitate than yellow gold.

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Since you're in LA I think having that Patek Phillipe is counterproductive, unless you're pulling a G-Manifesto swoop in a Suit & Tie, and even then I'd imagine G wearing a more blinged out watch (maybe with a radar antenna that pops out from the side directing him to the closest upper class Mexican chica mamacita).

Are you sure your 32 y/o friend is swooping these east coast moneyed girls or has he just been reading a lot of GQ Magazine?

One thing girls really like is good unique style, and where they notice that most is the type of shoe you wear. It's fuckin' crazy, but girls are really into shoes. As for watches, if you're into hipster girls, try something Ironic. If you're into east coast money something like the Patek Phillipe but more modern. If you're into West Coast slutzzz, something with a little more bite to it.

This watch MSRPs at about $40k, and has just enough extra widgets to get the girl thinking "I wonder if he's adventurous..."
[Image: 4246F-3442-55B.jpg]

I would get it if there is a good replica of it for under $200. Otherwise, I'll just continue using my iPhone as my time telling device.

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

It tells the time. What is there to know?

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Most of the Swiss watch industry is based on "encapsulation", wich means the base movement ETA (worth 200-300$) is bought by brands like Breitling, and they just design the watch around, and then sell it for Grands. That's why I prefer to buy smaller independent watchmakers, who still use an ETA as base movement, but at least don't charge more than 1000e in the end.

Stowa Antea
[Image: 2991998305_384dd87887.jpg]

Nomos Tangente
[Image: nomos_tangomat.jpg]

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Think were getting a bit away from what he was asking. Theres plenty of great watches regardless of price, his question was "which watch gets it wet?"

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

I was thinking exactly like you before I got interested in watches, and the ironic thing is, that Rolex has probably the best quality/price ratio of all.
They make their own movements when brands like Breitling,Cartier,Bell&Ross and even Panerai not long ago all use general ETA movements that they just rename and sell like theirs.
If you compare the price of an GMT Master (7k$) to the other manufacturers that make their own movements like Patek or Jaeger Lecoultre (20k$ minimum), you see the person who bought a Rolex is actually not that stupid (not that they know it tho..).

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

I had a fake Cartier watch that I bought for $20. I think the watch might have had some potential to "get it wet," but sadly I never found out because the watch lost time within a week, and then died a week later! Buyer beware!

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Quote: (11-07-2010 03:07 PM)Jack Frost Wrote:  

Think were getting a bit away from what he was asking. Theres plenty of great watches regardless of price, his question was "which watch gets it wet?"
Yeah, that's my question - which ones will aid getting laid most? Usual rule of thumb: look at the girls you want, and look at the alphas in their circle, and take after them. Still, I don't have much to go on.

As for the friend in question, he usually has one f-buddy on lock. The girls he's meeting are Jewish so...

[Image: 450jewishgirls_tshirt.jpg]

A bit OT, but of all the clothes I have, the one that elicits the most response is a short bomber jacket with roughed up leather and fur collar, always popped. I get mad-dogged with it on, and everyone immediately pegs me as a douchebag. Wearing a suit jacket inside out, given a beautiful lining can work well, if done right.

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Quote: (11-06-2010 09:19 PM)kerouac Wrote:  

Since you're in LA I think having that Patek Phillipe is counterproductive, unless you're pulling a G-Manifesto swoop in a Suit & Tie, and even then I'd imagine G wearing a more blinged out watch (maybe with a radar antenna that pops out from the side directing him to the closest upper class Mexican chica mamacita).

Are you sure your 32 y/o friend is swooping these east coast moneyed girls or has he just been reading a lot of GQ Magazine?

One thing girls really like is good unique style, and where they notice that most is the type of shoe you wear. It's fuckin' crazy, but girls are really into shoes. As for watches, if you're into hipster girls, try something Ironic. If you're into east coast money something like the Patek Phillipe but more modern. If you're into West Coast slutzzz, something with a little more bite to it.

This watch MSRPs at about $40k, and has just enough extra widgets to get the girl thinking "I wonder if he's adventurous..."
[Image: 4246F-3442-55B.jpg]

I would get it if there is a good replica of it for under $200. Otherwise, I'll just continue using my iPhone as my time telling device.

That is a fine looking watch.

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Quote: (11-07-2010 03:09 PM)LÉtranger Wrote:  

I was thinking exactly like you before I got interested in watches, and the ironic thing is, that Rolex has probably the best quality/price ratio of all.
They make their own movements when brands like Breitling,Cartier,Bell&Ross and even Panerai not long ago all use general ETA movements that they just rename and sell like theirs.
If you compare the price of an GMT Master (7k$) to the other manufacturers that make their own movements like Patek or Jaeger Lecoultre (20k$ minimum), you see the person who bought a Rolex is actually not that stupid (not that they know it tho..).

Yeah, but I had a Rolex years ago, and had to take it to a Rolex dealer 4x for movement issues!!! Seriously! That is absurd for a watch I paid so much $$$ (Daytona edition)

I personally, will never buy Rolex again.

MIxx

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean, good enough for Bond, good enough for me. Simple, Stylish, matches just about every outfit, and yes women do notice it.

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Recommendations for where to acquire "fine"-looking replicas? Links?

All due respect to quality manufacturers, I'm an impoverished grad student.

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Fuck knock-offs, I agree with Mixx, I know watches are expensive, but I'd rather rock a real cheap watch like a $400 ESQ Swiss, then a fake Patek Phillipe or Rolex. Women typically aren't into watches like men are, no woman is going to get "wet" because you have a Breitling. Typically they think it looks nice, classy, stylish, which factors into social value, image, charisma, etc. Also, for some women who consider a guys financial/social status to be very important, an obviously nice watch will show them that you're not exactly a broke ass living in your parents basement.

Personally, I rock "bling" at various times, with different outfits as part of my style. However, none of my jewelry is fake or knock-off, I just have a few nice items (diamond stud earring, Italian gold chain, Omega watch), which are simple and classy, but not overly gawdy. I often see these black dudes who are trying to look like ballers, but they are rocking an obviously fake, way over the top chain with fake diamonds, and it just looks wack as fuck. I guess what I am trying to say is that there is no substitution for the real thing.

If you're going to get a time-piece, I'd recommend dropping between $2,000-6,000 and get an Omega, Breitling, or Movado. Tag Heur is also okay, but I'm not really into them, I also agree with Mixx that Rolex is played out. My Seamaster Planet Ocean is very similar to Rolex's Sea-Dweller, but at 1/3 the price. Rolex has just gotten outrageously expensive and the actually quality of the work is not really any better than Omega or Breitling. Rolex does have that name brand recognition, that people will recognize, but I think in a way that it makes you "too try hard", for example I can rock my Omega down to the local college dive bar and look slick, but with a Rolex, I'd probably look like a tool trying to "impress" everyone.

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

I see absolutely no point of spending anymore than a few hundred dollars tops on a watch. The point of a watch is to tell time and be a bit of a fashion accessory at the same time. Spending thousands on a watch is fucking ridiculous. It's like the guys who go out and buy a $20,000 Vertu cell phone just to impress people you don't give a shit about anyway. You're going to be showing it for attention more than you are to actually use it.

As long as you have an overall decent style and the watch helps complete your look than that's all you need. There are so many good options below $500 that get the job done I can't even fathom why someone would spend 5 figures on a watch. I don't even feel sorry for these people when they get mugged for such pointless opulence.

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Quote: (11-07-2010 06:08 PM)Bukowsky Wrote:  

Recommendations for where to acquire "fine"-looking replicas? Links?

All due respect to quality manufacturers, I'm an impoverished grad student.

Here are the directions I gave in a PM to someone:

TaobaoNow doesn't sell anything, they're only an agent. The sellers are found on TaoBao. Use Google to translate TaoBao. Search by typing in the brand name, and nothing else, and go through the results. Use the sellers with the highest ratings - I think the diamond icons are the best, but I'm not sure. Look at the watch pictures very closely. Here's the listing for the watch I bought: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3604084829 . If there's a watermark on the photo, make sure it tracks back to the same seller. You can have TBN take photos of the item once they've received them, and have them ask for a refund if you're unsatisfied. (You'll still have paid TBN 10% or 50RMB either way.)

RWG also has a list of trusted dealers, but there are fewer options there, and anything there is probably on TaoBao anyway, and for less.

Quote: (11-07-2010 06:28 PM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

Personally, I rock "bling" at various times, with different outfits as part of my style. However, none of my jewelry is fake or knock-off, I just have a few nice items (diamond stud earring, Italian gold chain, Omega watch), which are simple and classy, but not overly gawdy.

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

I'd spend that money hiring the best trainer in town. The girls will notice your boulder shoulders and tapered waistline before they'll notice any watch.

with that money you could travel like crazy to a country where just being American will get your foot in the door.

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

Quote: (11-07-2010 10:46 PM)bigbootyluvr Wrote:  

I'd spend that money hiring the best trainer in town. The girls will notice your boulder shoulders and tapered waistline before they'll notice any watch.

with that money you could travel like crazy to a country where just being American will get your foot in the door.

EXACTLY !!!! yes,,, for those certain gals who are superficial,, yes the nice watch doesn't hurt. However, if you can afford it, why not do it. For most of the population an expensive watch is out of their budget. As for these superficial girls, they couldn't tell a fake watch if it said mucci instead of gucci on a label....

My buddy is a gym rat. He's got big arms,, and the girls never touch his watch, but they do touch his arms and compliment them. So, spend the money on the gym,,, it'll get you more tail and plus,,, you don't have to worry about being robbed or mugged literally!!!

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

yo, what the fuck ever....I got a smart phone to tell me time....over kill if you ask me...

Which Watch Gets It Wet?

FYI, the OP stated this thread was about watches. So if you want to talk about how to most efficiently spend one's income, start a different thread.

This watch below ticks all the boxes for me personally, though

[Image: attachment.jpg343]