rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Interesting new direction from Guinness

Guinness, my personal favorite beer, has never had to stray far from its original advertising.

"Guinness is good for you"
"Guinness for strength"
Etc, etc.

So when it did (2013), I was not surprised to see it go in this direction. While most beer companies play the men for fools, and the women (and sport) as our goals, Guinness seems to have found a different place. I didnt have to think too deeply to get the Men Going Their Own Way theme.

No drama, no bullshit. Just hitting the nerve of what most of us have realized and lived for a while now.

I like Guinness. I'll get a Black and Tan once in a while. A girl bought me a Black and Cherry last week. It's Guinness and Cherry Wheat. I wasn't sure what to make of it. Tasted kinda funky.

Team Nachos

Apparently there's a major difference between the home brew and the stuff they sell in the US.

Anyway, Guinness knows how to advertise to it's customers. Check out it's Christmas adverts, they make Christmas.

By the way, It's a stout. Don't fuck with an Irish man's drink. [Image: wink.gif]

Fact I live by: Guinness on tap (not the bottled Foreign Extra) is 4.2% ABV, which is lower than Budweiser, Heineken and most lagers.

It makes a noticeable difference after a night of drinking.

Guinness promotes a rape culture.

Quote: (09-08-2013 11:12 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Guinness promotes a rape culture.

I drank a bunch of pints of Guinness with whiskey chasers last night and then almost raped a girl its a good thing she invited me upstairs for sex instead.

Guinness is my shit. It also contains calcium pyruvate, which actually burns fat and builds muscle.

Bangers + eggs + bacon + mushroom + baked beans + fried bread = full English breakfast.

Guinness + 2 raw eggs = Irish man's breakfast.

That's how them Irish stay lean.

Thought provoking and insightful article by The Last Psychiatrist.

Quote:Quote:

According to social critics around the internet this ad is "such a refreshing change", "great to see sensitivity and strength combined", "promotes a new kind of masculinity." I'd like to know what was wrong with the old masculinity? The one featured on Game Of Thrones? Was it too masculine?

Before you applaud this ad for "breaking the mold of beer adverts" you would do well to remember that all ads are aspirational, not representational, and for sure not inspirational, i.e. the ad thinks this will work on the target demo because it describes an aspirational image for the demo, i.e. i.e. the ad has made several important assumptions about the kind of person who would like this ad-- not the product, the ad-- and you're not going to like them.

Get ready for a super-sexist comment that is nevertheless 100% true, good thing my rum makes me impervious to your idiotic criticisms: reducing yourself because you think it's a show of solidarity is a straight up chick thing to do, see also Slut Walks and crying excessively for the deceased.

My interest here is not the tricks the ad uses to get you to like Guinness, but what the fact of the existence of such an ad says about American men today. It's bad. It's really, really bad.

It's beta males. The best of men, except for actual men. What is a beta male? He is the kind of man who anxiously looks for something to identify him as a man, while doing nothing to become a man. For him, there's Guinness.

Usually "male" values are the things you have to teach or encourage people to do, like bravery, or sacrifice, or stoicism, where the default, the easier thing, is to not do those things. Dedication and friendship don't code for men, they are too basic for men, they code simply for person, although women get associated with them because... not much more is expected of women.

Love Guinness...but pissed off that here in the USA, our Guinness is actually brewed in New Brunswick, Canada.

[Image: facepalm.png]

Only the foreign export (7.2% ABV...TITS!) that is sold here in a 4-pack for around $10 is actually brewed and bottled at St. James Gate.

Yeah, I made the pilgrimage.

Guinness in Dublin tastes much better than the Canadian stuff they're selling us here.

Damn mega-multi-national corporation mergers! IIRC, InBev bought out Guinness and moved US production to Canada.

That's not Irish Stout anymore, it's Canuck Stout!

[Image: angry.gif]

I hate all alcohol adverts. They either make men look like idiots. Or they make the pruchasing of alcohol into some heroic act which says alot about who you are as a man.

Bullshit.

I drink alot of Jack Daniel's and they are bastards as well. Their adverts are full of guff like "drop by drop - we make it the best we can" or "made the same way Jack made it 100 years ago".

Yet the alcohol content of the whiskey has dropped from 45% to 43% (in the mid 60's) to 40% (in the late nineties). And a difference of 5% makes a big difference to the power and finish of a whiskey.

Bastards.

I toured the distillery in Lynchburg TN once. It's not far from where my father lives. It was pretty cool hearing the history of JD. Truth be told, it's not my favorite but it is pretty good for a whiskey.

You guys should try George Dickel and Evan Williams 1783- they're both cheaper and better than JD

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

I've always been surprised at the worlds infatuation towards Budweiser and JD. To me both are rot gut, but good marketing goes a long way. Americans love Fosters but most Aussies I know call it canned piss.

I know Guinness here isn't "real", but its better than nothing. I've been to places where draught doesn't exist, and you were lucky to find extra stout in the bottle. When you guys in the U.S. are buying imports, check the back label, cause a lot of it shit that is "brewed in strict accordance" to the original maker. Meaning you are paying premium for Sapporo made by Anheuser-Bush.

As for proper whiskey, I am thankful everyday for the Irish.

I wanted to say that Guinness is Irish on the level that some Irish-Americans are well Irish.

This is the Irish man who speaks Irish, wears jumpers his Father wore while he ploughed the land the English sent them to rot in.
This is the Ireland of Old. His name is Poitín