rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Sleep Apnea and Bodybuilding

Two of my regular training partners have been taking 'supplements' from different sources, yet have developed Sleep Apnea within a year of each other.

Just curious if anyone can offer advice. Is this a side effect of size? The smaller dude is now 5ft7 and 220lbs. Or is a reaction to the gear? Can it be undone?

They should go to a doctor, and you should head over to some forums that specialize in gear and post your questions.

I used to have bad sleep and recovery problems until i started supplementing zinc and magnesium in the form of a ZMA supplement.

The magnesium alone helps me sleep. In fact, i can get only 6 hours of sleep and feel refreshed.

i'd try that and suggest visit a doc.

Sleep apnea sucks. It means you're not getting enough oxygen. That's why you don't feel rested. You need to kick up the intensity of your workouts. Maybe start running a few days a week. Eat within an hour after workouts. You should feel physically(not mentally) exhausted by the end of the day. You should feel happy to finally get to bed and refreshed in the morning.

Personally I think my issues were stress related caused by work and family. Hard exercise helped a lot.

Team Nachos

I can't comment on whether the gear resulted in the sleep apnea. But I know sleep apnea would affect the quality of your rest, thus have a direct correlation to the quality of your workouts. I developed it during my late teens, when I noticed I was always tired throughout the day and scheduled an appointment with a sleep clinic, who then diagnosed me with mild sleep apnea. I wasn't taking anything, wasn't even smoking at this point.

Changes to lifestyle such as higher intensity workouts, sleeping on my side, and a better diet have translated to better sleep, and thus allowing me to maintain my intensity during my workouts.

So since sleep apnea affects your rest, it will also affect your workouts, and thus your gains.

Quote: (08-23-2013 07:03 AM)AnonymousBosch Wrote:  

Two of my regular training partners have been taking 'supplements' from different sources, yet have developed Sleep Apnea within a year of each other.

Just curious if anyone can offer advice. Is this a side effect of size? The smaller dude is now 5ft7 and 220lbs. Or is a reaction to the gear? Can it be undone?

It's an effect of the size, IMO. I have sleep apnea more due to a narrow jaw, but as I bulked up it got worse.

The first sensation of sleep apnea you have in the morning is a constricted feeling in the lungs. Consider the effect of having no pecs on this, then consider the effect of a heavy chest.

The one solution that makes sleeping substantially better for me is to ride a bike (spinning bike/elliptical or outside) for 20 minutes before bed. This seems to open up the lungs and make sleeping dramatically improved.

Assuming they're not fat, big neck = sleep apnea.

If they are taking tren, it'll get really bad.

CPAP machine is probably the only answer. Sucks but people that get them never go back huge qol increase. Living with apnea leaves you functioning at the same level of .08% drunk. Size muscle or fat is the big risk factor, guys need to talk to a dr and get a sleep study.

I get sleep paralysis sometimes. Last time I got it it was intense as fuck. Neon green lights all around my room. Body frozen but mind awake. Couldn't move or scream but wanted to. Felt like there was a presence there but nothing was there when I came to.

Quote: (12-06-2013 07:35 PM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

I get sleep paralysis sometimes. Last time I got it it was intense as fuck. Neon green lights all around my room. Body frozen but mind awake. Couldn't move or scream but wanted to. Felt like there was a presence there but nothing was there when I came to.

I used to get that in high school and my early college days.

I have been afraid before, anxious, threatened, etc.

But having sleep paralysis was one of the few times in my life where the word terrifying truly applied.

If you take pretty big doses of NAC, it seems to treat sleep apnea. I haven't been diagnosed with it but fit all the criteria.

PubMed says that NAC is a mucolytic, and in certain doses it can treat COPD. There are also studies showing that taking fairly heavy doses reduces the need for CPAP machines in those with sleep apnea.

I used to go to bed at about midnight and drag out of bed at noon, or have to take naps during the day. This whole week I have been going to bed at 10 PM (without issue) and getting up at 4:30 AM without an alarm. I don't even want to nap in the afternoon. It's great.

PubMed also says that sleep apnea causes brain damage, particularly with long term memory, but it is reversible. I hope that's the case.

A deviated septum is a common condition. If they have one, it can increase the incidence of sleep apnea a lot.

Edit:
Quote:Quote:

PubMed also says that sleep apnea causes brain damage, particularly with long term memory, but it is reversible. I hope that's the case.
A lot of it isn't reversible. Sleep apnea is a killer and needs to be treated asap.

Ive used a Cpap for four years now, and its made a huge difference in my quality of life. Wont go to bed without it.

Лучше поздно, чем никогда

...life begins at "70% Warning Level."....

A bit out there but learning to play the didgeridoo can help with sleep apnea, apparently circular breathing strengthens the upper airways to help reduce collapsing.

Has anyone had any success treating (what is likely) moderate sleep apnea with forms of cardio?

Sleep apnea runs in my family, big time on both sides, and I'm pretty sure it's fucking with my ability to remember things and learn new things.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Quote: (12-06-2013 07:35 PM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

I'm trying to recall if I have had those since I started taking ZMA nearly every night. I don't think so, but I may be wrong. I used to get it very bad, like you said. I would hallucinate people coming into my room and standing over me, unable to move. I had it happen enough that I started to recognize it happening, and just get annoyed instead of shit-scared. It makes me focus on the situation and attempt some form of sanity check to myself.

Nyquil can fuck me up enough to almost guarantee sleep paralysis.

Can any of you guys comment on how your sleep apnea has been going.

Albertron, if you're still around, how is it going for you since you've had this since your late teens.

Also, what's the word on those of you that have tried the NAC?

I have had a CPAP machine for close to twenty years. That machine has saved my life, no doubt. I used to wake up choking and grasping at the window for air. Frightening shit.

I got my deviated septum fixed, lost weight...still didn't fix it. The doctor says I need to have my jaw broken and moved forward (I have a slight overbite). Nothing substantial, but enough to fuck with my air passage.

Still, it's good to live in an era where there is a solution; albeit, not perfect, but a solution nonetheless.

"Action still preserves for us a hope that we may stand erect." - Thucydides (from History of the Peloponnesian War)

Anyone else tried what Stun wrote:

I see how riding a stationary bike for 20 minutes before going to bed can open up your lungs, but isn't it potentially counter-productive because you'll be energized from the exercise and not sleepy at all?

What do y'all think?

I suffer from this sometimes. Whenever I notice myself waking up tired (or a girl complains about my snoring) I take a few hits of flonase before bed and it fixes it.

I recently got a cpap machine, problem was though that the mask they gave me bothers me big time, so I will be getting fitted for a different type of mask next week. Only used the thing once so far. I was thinking I will try a few weeks with the cpap and then a few weeks on high dose NAC and report back on here.

Re-reading this thread, I thought the OP meant insomnia instead of snoring (aka sleep apnea).

Sleep study and CPAP. The NAC discussion is not fully proven at this point in time so I would not recommend foregoing CPAP machine. OSA increases risks of several conditions, namely heart disease, if untreated. CPAP sucks but the alternative is worse. Also if you are overweight, weight loss can have some positive effects as well. Neck size is correlated also, so gaining neck size could make things worse (in response to OPs question).

so, if my neck gets thicker/wider due to exercise then I'm screwing myself over in the fight against sleep apnea?

Neck circumference is correlated with severity of OSA, meaning that a person with a thicker neck is more likely to have OSA and also more likely to have severe OSA compared to a person with a thinner neck. Tough to say it would 100% worsen OSA in your case, but it is a risk. How wide is your neck now? Are you obese? If you want to continue this over PM for confidentiality, I am happy to do so.