rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Do clothes really make the man??

How important is clothing to attracting women? Do women really care about what we're wearing as much as Hollywood says they do? Can a guy with average or even below average looks really win over attractive women based on how well or in style he dresses? All other things being equal, do flashier, more in style dressers get more women on average than guys who dress more subdued or even plain? If women really are very interested in how well men dress, would this rule apply overseas as well? How much attention should a guy pay to his wardrobe?

I think it's just a form of peacocking. Having some style will make you stand out from the pack, but you can't rely on that alone.

Quote: (10-03-2010 03:22 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

I think it's just a form of peacocking. Having some style will make you stand out from the pack, but you can't rely on that alone.

There are definitely to schools of thought. On 1 hand you hear that clothes very important. On the other hand you hear people say that they dont matter so much, As long as they're neat and clean. I wasn't suggesting that a man could rely on style alone. I'm just wondering if clothing is important enough to set aside serious concern and money for.

Girls say they do,,, one girl told me a man in a nice suit is such a turn on.... well,, trying to understand women of what they like is pointless. I see women go for men who wear those pants that are ultra baggy and go down to their knees, and the opposite. Who knows... Have your own style, and the right woman will find you hot.

The pants hanging below the belt is still a popular style of dress, granted 1 that looks ridiculous to me! Nevertheless, in certain urban/ghetto settings someone wearing that style a fashion would be considered dressed stylish. So, even in that case the rule would still apply. Again I posed this question because I'm really not sure. I would hate to think atracting women is based almost totally on the superficial. For instance, I for 1 don't think women care about cars nearly as much as men think they do. At the same time I want to be realistic as possible.

I guess that you should look for a balance in that. Put all brands together and look like a big ad or wear only 10 years ago clothes will vanish girls in front of you. Plus, as speakeasy said, is just part of it. The package must be atractive, but the inside has to contain something to be consumed. Otherwise you are just a guy wearing something different

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

this is real simple.

unless you look like a model 8+ looks, u need to dress nice and have some style to attract hot women.

sure there is exceptions, but every man needs to dress nice and have some style.

Quote: (10-03-2010 07:08 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

this is real simple.

unless you look like a model 8+ looks, u need to dress nice and have some style to attract hot women.

sure there is exceptions, but every man needs to dress nice and have some style.

I tend to agree with you global. Can I ask what you've seen or experienced that makes you feel this way? I would have to say that every player I know that is consistently good with attracting women, not just a guy who gets lucky with an 8 every now and then, but consistently good, is also a good dresser. That's just been my experience.

Quote: (10-03-2010 07:26 PM)Urban Renaissance Man Wrote:  

Quote: (10-03-2010 07:08 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

this is real simple.

I tend to agree with you global. Can I ask what you've seen or experienced that makes you feel this way? I would have to say that every player I know that is consistently good with attracting women, not just a guy who gets lucky with an 8 every now and then, but consistently good, is also a good dresser. That's just been my experience.

Clothes do one of two things. It either enhances ur appearance or it decreases your appearance.

If you are not dressed nice and stylish ur value automatically drops. so thats why i said you better look like a model 8+ to help negate the fact that you have zero style and look like a square.

Its amazing how much clothes and style can help ones appearance. At the same note it can also really hurt you.

Here is my advise. You dont have to have a wardrobe full of GQ Designer clothes. Just have about 2 pair of nice form fitting stylish jeans. Have some nice designer tee's. Gotta have a nice black polo. Then some nice stylish dress shirts. You also are gonna need one nice black blazer/sport coat.

Its not about quantity, its about quality. But is you have the dough quantity and quality are good lol

And Urban - Ive seen dudes that dont look good at all but are able to talk to and integrate into hot females social circle simply because of dressing sharp and having some game. You dont ever see hot girls out consistently with dudes that are dressed like kids, aka their mother dressing them.

[quote You dont ever see hot girls out consistently with dudes that are dressed like kids, aka their mother dressing them.
[/quote]

When Style was taking over the freaking world, he said one chick referred to him as "the ugly, bald one." He is BIG on distinctive clothes.

Of course, guy with the smarts and follow-through to to write a NY Times bestseller is to some degree in a different world from even a very good but unknown player.

[/quote]
"And Urban - Ive seen dudes that dont look good at all but are able to talk to and integrate into hot females social circle simply because of dressing sharp and having some game. You dont ever see hot girls out consistently with dudes that are dressed like kids, aka their mother dressing them."

I have always been one of those people who never really gave clothing an extreme amount of consideration. I have always felt that as long as you're clean and neat, and your style isn't 10 years old, that was enough. I'm short in height but I've always have had what most would consider a pretty good body, so generally I don't need much more that jeans and a t-shirt for some women to take notice. Still, even though I'm the type opf guy that very occassionally gets the 7-8 girl, I want more frequency with my successes. A 7-8 girl ever couple of years is not the business!! I'm starting to rreally consider the possibility that I need to improve on my clothing game. Since I am short, I of course do not stand out in a crowded nightclub! (Being a dark skinned black in a room where the lights are nearly out doesn't help me stand out either! Lol) I have to do something to increase my physical value. I'm pretty good with conversation, so shooting from the cuff has never really been a problem. Its the more superficial aspects I need to work on. I'm also wondering if women in other countries place as much value on clothing as American women do?

Urban - You want to maximize your value every way possible. And clothes is a easy not that expensive way. Once you start to understand style and dressing fly you will enjoy it and look forward to standing out every night you go out. Girls will open you many times and you will get alot of compliments. Thus increasing the number of chicks you interact with each night.

Im not sure if they place as much value in other countries but they DEF appreciate and like a well dressed stylish man. Alot of this has to do with the local men being so bland.

also since ur short and dark stick to bright colored v neck italian style shirts. it will make u stand out more

Quote: (10-04-2010 12:52 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

Urban - You want to maximize your value every way possible. And clothes is a easy not that expensive way. Once you start to understand style and dressing fly you will enjoy it and look forward to standing out every night you go out. Girls will open you many times and you will get alot of compliments. Thus increasing the number of chicks you interact with each night.

Im not sure if they place as much value in other countries but they DEF appreciate and like a well dressed stylish man. Alot of this has to do with the local men being so bland.

also since ur short and dark stick to bright colored v neck italian style shirts. it will make u stand out more

Hey Dash, what nationality are you? What race and country are you from? You seem to have a lot of knowledge about this subject. Also, why the v-neck? I
m not even 100% sure what those shirts look like. Nevertheless, I think you're right on about the clothing game. Now, it's which style to gravitate to would be the question. Also, and this question might sound like a joke, but if you truly are lacking in fashion sense, would it be a good idea in your opinion just to buy what the mannequin is wearing?

I think style depends on the chick your tryin to pick up. I'm from Texas and dress a little country, although a lot of women are attracted to this, especially when I throw a slight twang in my voice. I do perfectly fine with casual boots, semi-tight jeans and an American pride shirt. Then again its also personality. Just find a style that works for you and run with it. I've picked up all different types of women.

Quote: (10-04-2010 03:06 PM)Urban Renaissance Man Wrote:  

Hey Dash, what nationality are you? What race and country are you from? You seem to have a lot of knowledge about this subject. Also, why the v-neck? I
m not even 100% sure what those shirts look like. Nevertheless, I think you're right on about the clothing game. Now, it's which style to gravitate to would be the question. Also, and this question might sound like a joke, but if you truly are lacking in fashion sense, would it be a good idea in your opinion just to buy what the mannequin is wearing?

Im white and from the states. Im very naturally tan though. To the point of im darker than most hispanic and mixed people. Anyways, why V-neck you ask. Well it is found in the more stylish european clothes, thats starting to take hold here in the states. Go to Express and check out some of their shirts.

You shouldnt really have just one style. You need to have about 3 different styles to bring out the closet. The style you pick that night needs to go with the venue and the women you are trying to swoop. Ill give you an example. I went to an all black club the other day. I brought out the fresh pair of nike airmax's and threw on my fitted saints hat with a fresh designer blue tshirt and some my usual jeans. I wouldnt have wore the airmax's and the fitted hat if i was going to a conventional white bar or club.

So you really cant have just one style, you need multiple styles to ensure you experience the best results when going out at night.

And no i wouldnt just buy what is on the mannequin. I would go out an look to see what dudes that are with fine women are wearing and also id research online and look through a copy of GQ mag or something.

Quote: (10-04-2010 03:42 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

Quote: (10-04-2010 03:06 PM)Urban Renaissance Man Wrote:  

Im white and from the states. Im very naturally tan though. To the point of im darker than most hispanic and mixed people. Anyways, why V-neck you ask. Well it is found in the more stylish european clothes, thats starting to take hold here in the states. Go to Express and check out some of their shirts.

You shouldnt really have just one style. You need to have about 3 different styles to bring out the closet. The style you pick that night needs to go with the venue and the women you are trying to swoop. Ill give you an example. I went to an all black club the other day. I brought out the fresh pair of nike airmax's and threw on my fitted saints hat with a fresh designer blue tshirt and some my usual jeans. I wouldnt have wore the airmax's and the fitted hat if i was going to a conventional white bar or club.

So you really cant have just one style, you need multiple styles to ensure you experience the best results when going out at night.

And no i wouldnt just buy what is on the mannequin. I would go out an look to see what dudes that are with fine women are wearing and also id research online and look through a copy of GQ mag or something.

Very good pointers! You obviously have some game in this area. I do very much agree with the need to have several styles in your aresnal. The reason I mentioned wearing what the mannequin is wearing is because years ago I used to work for the Mervyn's department store in Los Angeles. They actually would fly people in to dress the mannequins. They wouldn't even let us regular sales people touch them. So, I figured that many of the mannequins in major stores are dressed by professionals, or at least sales people whom the management has determined to have an eye for current fashion style. I can honestly say that I haven't seen too many mannequins that I would say are badly dressed, though I will say I've seen many that were over dressed, with extra shirts, sweaters, etc. I wouldn't follow the mannequin totally, just enough to get some ideas. I definitely agree that you must dress in accordance with what's popular in the community you're hunting in!

Hey, would you say that women expect men of certain races to dress a certain way, and find it odd or even unattractive if they don't?

There's a difference between dressing nice and dressing trendy. There are always classics that look great and never go out of style. Every guy needs at least one pair of decent casual or somewhat dressy black shoes. A black pea coat or dark blazer is always nice to have, a few nice scarves as accessories if you live in a place that gets cold. Well-fitting collar shirts and quality dark jeans that aren't baggy nor skinny jeans. A look like that is nice, though not necessarily trendy. Not every chic is looking for a guy that out-dresses David Beckham and some are even turned off by a guy that seems too metro or more into his looks than even a woman. You have to know your niche and what works on you and your personality. Like me, I'm kinda chill and low-key so I can't get away with some outlandish Kanye West style stuff. [Image: kwest.jpg] However, Kanye's style is looking more classic here with this look and a good pair of jeans and nice blazer will never go out of style. [Image: kanye-west1.jpg] I myself prefer a look more like that. Just have the basics covered, then throw in maybe a trendy accessory like a watch, belt, hat or sunglasses to give it some flair.

There is a really cool blog at http://www.kinowear.com/blog/ that was one of the best men's fashion blogs out there. What was cool is that it mixed in aspects of Game and social psychology with the fashion. Unfortunately, the blog is no longer updated, but the archives are great stuff. Here's a good article covering the basics: http://www.kinowear.com/blog/15-quick-fa...s-for-men/

Urban im sure some women expect certain men to be dressed a certain way. But that dont matter if the girl is not in ur target area. Like i said you need about 3 diff looks to throw out there on any given night. I go to all kinds of different venues with diff people and races so one person may see me looking completely diff the very nxt night lol All depends on where im going and the women im trying to swoop.

and speakeasy had some good points. dressing nice and dressing trendy are slightly diff. My advise is to always dress nice but also have some nice trendy stuff in the arsenal. You might be at a venue where every guy is dressed nice but if you are dressed nice and trendy you will stand out amongst the crowd.

Quote: (10-04-2010 07:43 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

Urban im sure some women expect certain men to be dressed a certain way. But that dont matter if the girl is not in ur target area. Like i said you need about 3 diff looks to throw out there on any given night. I go to all kinds of different venues with diff people and races so one person may see me looking completely diff the very nxt night lol All depends on where im going and the women im trying to swoop.

and speakeasy had some good points. dressing nice and dressing trendy are slightly diff. My advise is to always dress nice but also have some nice trendy stuff in the arsenal. You might be at a venue where every guy is dressed nice but if you are dressed nice and trendy you will stand out amongst the crowd.

Honestly, I like the way Kanye dresses. I think his style is trendy yet classic. Looks rather expensive though. I can also conclude that his clothes even make him appear nicer looking, since he's not every attractive facially to me, not that he's butt ugly, but certainly nothing more than average. I think his clothes give him a look of money. I just wonder if a man should really deck himself out like that every time they go out. Cost also is a factor.

I do agree with Dash, if your redicoulously good looking it might be best to have as little clothes on as possible [Image: biggrin.gif] I feel difference in interested from females and the best of it all, dress sharp and be good looking and the ugly womens interest wont be that of the high value female which you are ranked to easily... like attract like! offcourse there are exceptions.

A beautifull leather jacket, a nice italian red shirt and some ornate jeans and a good pair of shoes, goes a long way.

But in some ways there are alot of rules to the exception I would guess, since if everybody had suits on, I would prefer to have a shiny custom made suit, a purple one or whatever..different.. or maybe jeans with torn holes in them and some street wear..

I dont like being mainstream anyways. Normally I prefer the whole Italian style thingie, only buy Italian clothes but its because its really my taste a bit metro, but so stylish and wonderfully high quality to redicolous nice prices (My Italian clothes dealer, once took me out for dinner and took his beautifull young daughter with..hmm)

Quote: (10-06-2010 02:25 AM)Quasi Wrote:  

I dont like being mainstream anyways. Normally I prefer the whole Italian style thingie, only buy Italian clothes but its because its really my taste a bit metro, but so stylish and wonderfully high quality to redicolous nice prices (My Italian clothes dealer, once took me out for dinner and took his beautifull young daughter with..hmm)

I hear ya. When I was in Italy several years back, I drooled everytime I walked past a clothing store. The clothes there are off the fuckin hook. Next time I go to Italy, I'm bringing extra cash just to do my clothes shopping for that year.

I dress up alot in suits and ties with dope ass kicks. I also dress down and go with the sporty look. The key is to wear clothes that emphasize your physique. Good tailoring is a must. Chicks look at your body through your clothes. I'm not saying go all Russell Brand and get the tightest clothes on Earth, but you gotta look like you've put some thought into your appearance and how you want the world to perceive you. People still form initial impressions of you based on your sartorial choices.

If you wear the right clothes, you get chose with your mouth closed

Not a big fan of the blazer and jeans look. You see it everywhere you go. This forum has got me thinking about getting some nice clothes to turn heads. I'm thinking slacks and Stacy Adams with a short sleeve button up. Maybe a nice, classic looking brimmed hat to top it off. I don't have the money to go out and buy a bunch of suits and I wouldn't go around town in one even if I did. Id probably have a heat stroke.

I know some of you guys are really into the suits. I've always wanted to eventually transform my wardobe into Tailored/Custom suits. I just never had the income or know where to start (picking quality brand/fabric etc etc etc...). At the moment though I am in a position where I can splurge on some quality things.

How much would a few or three quality Tailor/Custom made enterchangable suits set me back?