rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Splitting the check in large groups

I like to roll out in large groups sometimes. We'll always end up having dinner and drinks. When it's time for the check it becomes a big shit show.

Some people whip out cash, some bust out the plastic, some even ask for separate checks. I have one friend that always throws in visa gift cards with random money on them. He's say "Take 17 off the gift card and put the balance on my debit".

It just looks so bad. I get embarrassed sometimes. Try kicking to a waitress when your friends pull this shit [Image: dodgy.gif]

How do you guys handle this situation?

Team Nachos

It is a huge pain in the ass for restaurants.

If you REALLY want to do the right thing, then call the restaurant ahead of time. Tell them you have a large group and you'd like to set up a fixed menu with choices on it. For instance a choice between 2-3 apps, 2-3 entrees, and a dessert. Maybe throw on 2 drinks per person or whatever. Most restaurants have packages for this, and they'll quote you a price PER PERSON, with gratuity included. That way, everyone understands how much they're responsible for ahead of time. Even if you're a group of 8 people and all 8 people bring a card, it's still easier than dividing the check based on who had what. It's not ideal (the restaurant gets charged for every card transaction) and you should try to consolidate the bill on as few cards as possible, but it's still better.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

If its a large group, I just throw money (usually a bit more) into the pile and tell them to "figure it out". smaller groups, split with cards.

If its a chronic problem, I just won't eat or drink with them anymore, its just too much of a vibe killer...at times people started busting out calculators and crap, screw that, I don't have time to nickle and dime the bills when you're dropping like $12 for an mixed drink or whatever.

If its a mixed group, you pile the cash together, tell the waitress to subtract the cash and then split the bill from whomever is throwing the cards down (2-3 max)

If someone pulled that visa gift card crap, I'd clown him on the spot.

Trying to itizemize a bill is the worst. If you're rolling with generous and/or honest people it can work as people will throw in at least what they owe and often more. However, that almost never happens. Instead, there are always people who leave too little.

If you're in a group, split it evenly. People worried that someone else's entree cost $3 more should just not be out in the first place.

That being said, some countries use those portable credit card readers that they bring to the table and can charge each person exactly what they ordered. I guess that's the optimal system if you roll with nickel and dimers.

if you all go out with any regularity just start rotating who pays. Gift card man will keep track of whose turn it is, guaranteed.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

People seriously use VISA gift cards?

Quote: (08-13-2013 02:08 PM)A War You Cannot Win Wrote:  

People seriously use VISA gift cards?

I shit you not. I see it on the regular. Same friend never carries cash. He's scared he'll spend it on something stupid. So everyday he hits the ATM and withdraws $10 here and $20 there as he needs it. It's so annoying when he drives. He always drags a car full of people to the bank.

Team Nachos

Just ask for your own tab

Find better friends.

My test for friends is the "check drama test."

Guys who do what your friends do were cut out of my life over 10 years ago.

If I can't count on a man to use some basic integrity and common sense when it comes to something as banal as eating dinner, then what's going to happen when something serious needs done?

I waited tables for years. WOMEN are the ones who quibble and have check drama issues.

Men should not have these issues and those that do should be cut out like the cancerous growths that they are.

The last time I dined with retards:

It was a large group of people. A girl came in late and we had all ordered a appetizers.

When the check came, she insisted on not splitting it evenly "because I didn't eat any appetizers." (The girl ate almost all of the desserts, so why quibble about appetizers?)

Her share amounted to $3.

So I threw three, $1 bills across the table.

"Here, are you happy?! Was all of this bullshit worth saving $3 over?"

The room went still and everyone at the table looked down at their hands.

II never would have associated with such idiots. I was doing my (then) wife a favor by going to a birthday dinner. After that, she knew to never invite me out to a group dinner. I simply wouldn't go.

Fuck having my guy friends pulling that drama and bullshit.

If anything, my guy friends and I fight over who covers the check.

Guys need to stop hanging out with dead beats and mooches and parasites.

Raise the standards you set for your friends.

I hear you MikeCF. Problem is a lot of my friends I've known for 20+ years. Not everyone grows or betters themselves at the same rate if at all. I try to deal with shit like this behind the scenes if I can to avoid the drama in front of everyone.

Team Nachos

There's now an app for helping split the bill equitably. Can't remember the name but it appeared a couple of weeks ago on the BBC Click webcast, Webscape section: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23549913

credit card roulette ftw http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.ph...d+roulette

Quote: (08-13-2013 01:33 PM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

If its a large group, I just throw money (usually a bit more) into the pile and tell them to "figure it out". smaller groups, split with cards.

Thats the best solution and what I do.

If my order total is, say, $45, I throw in $60 and tell them thats my share and tip.

Quote: (08-13-2013 02:35 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

I hear you MikeCF. Problem is a lot of my friends I've known for 20+ years. Not everyone grows or betters themselves at the same rate if at all. I try to deal with shit like this behind the scenes if I can to avoid the drama in front of everyone.

I don't wanna beat a dead horse.

But men should not have drama in their personal lives.

How many women can take a "girls trip" without their being any drama? There is always drama.

I can take a guys trip (and have, many times) and there has been zero drama.

Hanging out with male drama queens will only hold yourself back. To be your best you need the right crew.

"You are the average of your 5 closet friends."

If you're hanging out with drama people and mooches, you're lowing the average.

Quote: (08-13-2013 02:29 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

The last time I dined with retards...

..."Here, are you happy?! Was all of this bullshit worth saving $3 over?"

I lost my brazilian flag to something similar.

She was cute and 18.

We went on a roadtrip with some friends. Stayed overnight at a friends place, so we had slept together but didnt had sex because there where other people sleeping in the room.

In the morning we all went for breakfast. She stayed behind with some other girl so we all had already ordered by the time they 2 walked in.

As soon as she sees the menu she starts bitching about how the buffet across the street is 20 pesos cheaper. Mind you, this are pesos, so she is bitching over not even $2 bucks.

So I go into my pocket, take out the 20 pesos and slap them on the table.

She walks out all pissed and I never talked to her ever again.

And I dont regret it even one bit.

Kind of been covered, but with guy friends we fight to take care of the bill. But, if I happen to cover it, my buddies will be trying to slide me $20s the rest of the night.

Or I pick up the dinner tab and then I don't pay for anything the rest of the night out. That kind of thing.

Bitches are another pain all together.

Example: This work lunch thing a few weeks back (to discuss some project we are all working on). It was three dudes and three chicks.

It was some lame ass place like Chili's or Applebee's because that's all that's close to this work place.

Anyway, when the bill comes, each guy throws down a $20. The bitches quibble to the penny. The total bill was like $90. The three dudes covered $60 and even with getting part of their meal and tip covered they were still using their calculator app to figure out who owed what.

It was insane to see. "I only got water!" "Well, you ordered extra ranch." "Your entree was $1 more than mine." "You ate one of my chicken fingers." etc. etc. etc.
They finally, somehow, settled on an amount. There were some stray ones and then one semi-fatty, pipes up. "the waitress was a bitch. I'm gonna take three dollars back."

She stopped when one of the other guys said, "Uhhh. You didn't leave enough to cover your shit. Leave the money there."

I sat there stunned. Quibbling over a partly free lunch, yet these chicks think nothing of buying $900 handbag -- that no one thinks is cool, except other dumbass chicks.

There's a lot of talk about one side of the coin, but I've been on the other a few times.

One example:

A friend of mine invited me and a bunch of people I didn't know to a kinda nice Korean BBQ place. I had another commitment before and notified him that I'd be getting there late. That other thing dragged on, to the point that I didn't think I could make it at all, so I notified him. When I finally freed up, I asked them where they were so I could catch up with the group. He was like, "we're still at the Korean place!"

When I arrived, they were already done and kind of getting ready to leave. The last bit of scraps were still on the plates and grill. There were empty bottle or sake or soju or whatever at a few places on the table. I asked, as a sort of throw-away statement, "how was the food?" Some guy told me it was good, and handed me a crumb of meat from the leftovers. I tried that, and then someone else handed me another crumb of some other meat. If you added the two bites, it wouldn't add up to that free sample they give you on a toothpick in the food court at the mall.

We hung out talking shit and laughing for a quite a while after. The waitress brought me a glass of water at some point. When the bill came, someone announced, "everyone's share is $50."

I had the cash, and I didn't feel like making a stink, so I threw in $50 for literally eating a free sample's worth of food and a glass of water with no ice--but I immediately regretted that decision.

While this is one of the most egregious one of these cases, it wasn't the first time I got tapped like that, but it definitely was the last. I vowed to never have that happen to me again. I don't nitpick over a dollar, but now I kick and scream if the difference is significant and people want to split. I even stand up for other people, "Guys, Brian and Amanda didn't even order food. We can't split."

I'm not a huge drinker and motherfuckers will sometimes run up the bill with round after round of exotic novelty drinks and then expect me to pay for it. One fat bitch will order more than even she can eat with the intention of "taking the rest home." Or people will get the surf-and-turf or the Osso Buco when I just came for "tapas" before the movie or dancing, like we originally planned.

Fuck that.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

After dinner, take out a hat and put everyone's credit card in it. Shake it up and pick a card. I've done this a few times.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

Quote: (08-14-2013 04:25 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Quote: (08-13-2013 02:35 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

I don't wanna beat a dead horse.

But men should not have drama in their personal lives.

How many women can take a "girls trip" without their being any drama? There is always drama.

I can take a guys trip (and have, many times) and there has been zero drama.

Hanging out with male drama queens will only hold yourself back. To be your best you need the right crew.

"You are the average of your 5 closet friends."

If you're hanging out with drama people and mooches, you're lowing the average.

No drama on my trips, and no drama with the girl because I take trips. That's the way to live. Your friends should be the people you are most comfortable with, and that means not worrying about splitting the bill when it comes. From the sound of it, it's time for some of you to find some new friends.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

100% agree with MikeCF on not dealing with stingy assholes insisting on paying their "fair share", but people on the other side of the coin are worthless too. My closest friend growing up became quite good at ordering the most expensive menu items while everyone just had pasta and would guzzle top shelf $25 whiskey while we would get $3 happy hour beers. When the bill would come, he'd always insist on paying an equal share, even when it was the two of us. And we'd always be short on money even though several of us would always build in an extra 30-40%.

I rationalized that I made more money than him, so for years I would just pay without complaint... But even I got tired of constantly subsidizing his entertainment and realized it was just a further extension of his personality: always had dead end jobs, lazy as fuck, was on unemployment for full 99 weeks, still living at his parents place at 32.

Stopped hanging out with him when I realized that he was going nowhere and he only had the chance to drag me down with him. How people deal with settling checks has nowadays become one of my go-to tells on their personality.

Quote: (08-14-2013 05:47 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

There's a lot of talk about one side of the coin, but I've been on the other a few times.

One example:

A friend of mine invited me and a bunch of people I didn't know to a kinda nice Korean BBQ place... When the bill came, someone announced, "everyone's share is $50."

I had the cash, and I didn't feel like making a stink, so I threw in $50 for literally eating a free sample's worth of food and a glass of water with no ice--but I immediately regretted that decision.

Yeah, sounds like they tried to run one over on you. I can't imagine the group of people that would even think to add you into the group splitting the bill in that situation.

If people are having drastically different amounts of food and drink, that's probably time to run your own tab. Either that or just throw in your share plus a few extra bucks for good measure and bounce.